Brotherhood of the Machine (IC Thread) [PG/14] {03}

Started by Lisky, February 21, 2009, 05:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisky

You are reading Part 3 of Brotherhood of the Machine.  Part 2 can be found here, and Part 1 can be found here.

-TW

Darkshine checked his HUD to confirm what he was almost positive he already knew, then replied "sorry, i've got everything like that in the banshee, so unless you can eat bullets, i can't really help you for now... any chance you could lean on me and make it to the banshee? either that, or do you think your in a good enough condition that i carry you...  i've got some stuff that'll work as a patch, but unless you think you can make it to my ride, it going to stay were it is... i'm not going to risk leaving you alone..."

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Tapewolf

Dorcan stopped and glanced back.  "If you need him carried, I can do that," he called.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Azlan

"It would be nice if I could eat bullets, my nanites will consume any projectile embedded within me, but brass, lead and ceramics make for poor grade materials.  I should be able to walk with help to the banshee, I just lost too much blood too fast because I wasn't aware my damage control systems were impaired."  He carefully swung his legs over the edge of the van and brought himself to a sitting position, wincing as damaged muscles protested being used in any fashion at the moment.

Then biting off the pain and steeling himself with determination, he dragged himself to his feet rather quickly.  Leaning against the van to stave off the wave of dizziness, he stood up alone, but his legs were rather wobbly and he waited to see if Darkshine or Dorcan would assist him.

"I can walk Dorcan with a little help... now let's go, leave the medics to care for those that could not help themselves instead of a fool like myself.  I need to get my game back up, I'm out of practice, second mission and I already got shot... what am I going to do when we start taking on the harder stuff?"  
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Lisky

Darkshine nodded in agreement, he knew how much pride he felt when people described him as 'like a ghost', and knew that fox had a similar reputation to try and maintain... Darkshine walked up, and offered a shoulder to morgan, while saying "hey, i know how it goes... when you first met me, you caught me when i was off the top of my game... i wouldn't worry about getting shot too much, it's only when it becomes a habit of sorts that you should consider a new line of work"

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Azlan

"A habit of getting shot has a whole lot of other complications."  Darkshine's words struck a cord with Morgan and for some reason the last bit was rather funny to him, he chuckled rather vigorously for a moment before groaning and faltering in his step, "bloody hell... okay... no more laughing, hurts too much.  I'm tempted to turn on the pain suppressors, no... dun wanna become dependent on gear.  Just a small question, my head might be too foggy to remember the details, but why walk all the way to the Banshee?  Couldn't you just ask for it to come to you?"

Lisky

Darkshine had completely forgotten about ranger... he paused, and said into the headset "hey, ranger, back the banshee up, and park it right here, rear ramp facing us, when your 3 meters out, drop the ramp and cut the fans"

a monotone voice replied "acknowledged sir, good to hear from you... i'll take it you've had a rather interesting time since your last check in..."

Darkshine just ignored the smug AI and waited for the vehicle to do it's thing.  Once where he wanted it, darkshine led morgan up the ramp, and onto the cot... he then asked morgan "so, if you want food, any preference, high protein, sandwich, ration bars, something to drink, or just anything edible in general?"

Azlan

"Well, I'm rather thirsty... but I need something solid that is high in iron and protein.  If you have military grade emergency ration bars, they will do... generally nasty tasting though."

Morgan relaxed into the cot and leaned the plasma repeater against the side, he had forgotten he was carrying it.

"When I get back to base, I'm going home and getting my tactical gear.  Time to stop playing and having fun, time to get serious if I'm going to be helping these rebels for the long haul."

Tapewolf

"Okay," Dorcan said, leaving the comms line open, "I guess you're okay, or at least stable.  Anything I could be doing to help?"

Azlan

Morgan spoke over the comms, I think we'll do fine, you may want to go help Exo and the rest with the Brotherhood transport and prisoners... or you can stick around and talk to Darkshine some more, it doesn't really matter, you are second for now.

Turning his head towards Darkshine, he spoke in a low voice, "that ranger program has the comm frequencies we use... the private team chat and encrypted channels might refuse to all you to connect, as you haven't been issued the proper security credentials... I'd work those up for you, but I suddenly feel very tired.  I think I'll rest for awhile."

Lisky

darkshined laughed at the comment about standard issue rations.... he looked at the redhead and said "do you really think i'd buy standard issue rations if i can afford the upkeep on a vehicle like this... when i asked about edible, i meant actually edible, not, in an absolute emergency i might be able to choke it down... i buy ration bars that actually have a flavor besides cardboard..."

reaching up to the shelves, darkshine grabbed a pair of bars, and handed one to Morgan.  He then reached into the cooler under the cot, and pulled out a good sized pitcher. looking back at morgan, he raised the gray plastic container, and said"as for the comms, i'll let them deal with any problems for now, i'd rather not see the only person who can verify that i'm not some sort of psychopath go into a coma from blood loss... care for some iced tea?"

taking off his headset and mask, darkshine set them down on the shelves, and retrieved some cups.

Tapewolf

"What good is being second if I can't even swing a medic for you?" Dorcan said, half-seriously.  "Darkshine, do you need me here?  If not, I'm going to help Exo with the box."

Lisky

Darkshine raised his hand towards Dorcan and made a 'be gone' wave while saying "go have fun with exo and the others, i think i can keep Morgan stable on my own... though i'd reload that pistol first, it's great for close quarters... though that particular model has a rather hefty kick though. just keep your grip tight if you actually need to let off some rounds..."
a massive grin on Darkshine's face, he added "now run along and have fun... but play nice"

Tapewolf

"I've never had firearms training," Dorcan admitted.  "Not with projectiles, anyway.  I've used energy weapons, but at school we were taught crossbows, archery and... other things which I can't do anymore.  Still, at close-quarters I doubt one needs too much training."

Reluctantly he reloaded the weapon, flicked the safety on and headed toward the prison vehicle.  "What's the situation, Exo?" he asked over the comms.  "Anything I should be doing here?"

techmaster-glitch

(OOC: sorry for teh laet post :< )

...Jexx dropped down into the transport, waving his handcannons about, looking but failing to spot anything that looked like a Brotherhood soldier. After a moment of this futility, he finally processed what was in the transport.
   There prisoners were in here, all right. But they weren't exactly calm. They instantly were grasping for Jexx through the bars, crying for release. Jexx was, for the moment, overwhelmed, as he hadn't seen anything quite like this before. He tried to say that he was going to free them, but words failed him.
   A moment later, Exo dropped in, who immediately took charge of the situation. Jexx, now no longer thinking he could do anything useful, and wanting to get away from these disturbing images, edged out of the van and walked a little bit away from everything else. He shivered a few times unconsciously.

Azlan

Morgan took the container of offered ice tea and sat up.  He almost dropped the ice tea as pain shot straight to his head from his wound.  After a moment of gasping he grabbed a lidded cup and poured a healthy portion of the fluid.  With great gusto, he consumed the whole bar and cup of ice tea.

Morgan smiled a bit, but did not laugh though what Dorcan had said earlier struck him as funny, "don't swing the poor medic around, whatever did he do to you?"

Settling back in, he contemplated his own mortality for a few moments before passing out from significant blood loss.

Lisky

Darkshine finished his snack as he watched Morgan slip into unconsciousness, he took a few moments to re-bandage the wound using supplies from the medkit in the banshee.  He then put his headset and mask back on.  talking to his AI, the leopard said "ranger, keep an eye on our guest for now... if anything about his condition changes, i want to know as soon as it happens... While he's down and out, see if you can hook me up on a listen only channel with their comms..."  while talking he unslung the SMG, and stored it in a locker.

Carbine still slung out front, he walked out the rear hatch and swung himself on top of the Banshee.  Leaning against one of the sensor housings on top of the vehicle, he let his left leg dangle over the edge, while the rest of his body seemed to crumple into a semi-laying down position.  To the untrained eye, it would look as though Darkshine was slacking off, possibly taking a nap... in reality, he'd found a place where he could observe the events going on outside of the brotherhood prison vehicle, while at the same time draw little attention to himself

Arcalane

Exo pauses part way through wrenching a cell door off. [Unless you feel like helping the medical staff by perhaps finding some food and water to help the civilians recover their wits, I doubt there is much to be done.] The 'bot finishes mangling the cell door, and steps aside to allow medical staff to get the occupant some attention before moving to a heavier door at the end of the short corridor, no doubt leading to the larger chamber used to hold several prisoners at once. It takes a short moment to warm up and stretch out the synthetic muscle fiber before glancing back. No room for a run-up... so it tries the next best thing - breaking the door down through sheer brute force, with a little structural scanning for weak points that would speed up the process.

Meanwhile, the four soldiers mill around the Banshee, quite persistant in keeping an eye on their charge.

Tapewolf

"Will do, sir," Dorcan said.  He made his way into the 'box' and found one of the medics.   "They can have my rations," Dorcan told him, and offered the food and water from his pack.  "I think they'll need them more than I do."

He paused for a moment to study the locks.  Lockpicking was something he'd studied at the Academy, for all the good it would do him now.  The techniques they had used there included manipulating the tumblers via telekinesis, or shapeshifting wing tentacles, neither of which were applicable to him.

With a sigh, he searched for the guardroom, or whatever the vehicle had in that way.  "Do the Brotherhood guys need to eat?" he asked over the comms.

Ryudo Lee

One of the medics shrugs.
"Not sure.  They might have some rations for the prisoners if it was a long drive, just to keep them alive.  We've never known the Brotherhood to kill prisoners." He says.

Exo's efforts would pay off, the door would come off it's hinges to reveal a small storage area which leads to the cab of the vehicle.  The storage area contained some rations, as well as some ammo for the Brotherhood's weapons, but no weapons, as they'd all been taken for use by the Brotherhood soldiers protecting the vehicle.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

Dorcan took what rations he could find and passed them over to the medics, saving just a couple for Morgan's use in case he still needed them.

"What's the plan, sir?" he asked over the comms.  "Do we have enough spare room to bring these guys with us, or are we just going to turn them loose as soon as they can walk?"

He paused.  "Come to that, are any of these guys going to be tagged or something?  Can the Brothers pinpoint them?" he added as an afterthought.

"If anyone needs to be carried, let me know," he added to the nearest medic.

Ryudo Lee

One of the medics looked thoughtful.
"That's something we didn't think of.  Hang on a sec..." He says.
He digs through his supplies and pulls out a standard microchip detector.
"We'll need a few minutes to check each person.  We don't want to move them to HQ until we know they haven't been microchipped." He says.

Tapewolf

Dorcan left the vehicle and began to study it.  Exo's method of opening it had damaged it considerably and it was a bit worse for wear after its emergency stop, but it looked like it should still run.

"This may be a silly idea," he began over the comms, "I mean, a truck with the top ripped off is going to look a bit suspicious to any recon satellites the Brothers have.  We'd have to avoid built-up areas and for all I know the truck itself has a tracking device, but... that aside, does anyone think it would be worth liberating this fine piece of automotive hardware from its oppressive masters?"

Ryudo Lee

The medic's scanner came up blank on all the prisoners.
"Looks like these guys are clean.  They must have been heading to a facility to be tagged." He says.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Fetrethar awoke with a coppery taste of blood in his mouth. After a moment checking with his tongue to confirm that his stinger hadn't been tampered with, he spat out a phlegmy mass of the red fluid. At least off of his teeth seemed to be in the proper place.

Glancing around, he realized that he hadn't been moved from where he fell, but that the combat between his own people and the Mongoose clan had been stopped, and that at least one white coated man was moving between the supine forms, offering some sort of aid. Clutching at the man's coat, he asked in a hoarse whisper. "Who are you guys? Where are we? Have you seen my gloves and belt? My elders will have my hide if I lose them."
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Ryudo Lee

The medic knelt down and passed the scanner over Fetrethar.
"Don't try to move until we've had a chance to examine you.  We're with the rebellion, don't worry, we're here to help.  We'll find your things, if they're still here." He says.
He turns his head to the others.
"We've got a live one here guys." He says aloud.

Tapewolf

"Are you saying the others are all dead?"  Dorcan barked, his wings fanning out slightly.

Ryudo Lee

The medic sighed.
"This one is more coherent than the others, and he's got questions." He says.

Tapewolf

"Ah, my bad," Dorcan said.  His brow furrowed.  Who was best to talk to them?  Exo was a Brotherhood-built killing machine and probably too intimidating for the usual patient's bedside talk.  Morgan would have been the best bet but was presently incapacitated.  Jexx had a few screws loose and Dorcan himself was a stranger not only to the organisation, but the world as a whole...

"Get Izzie to talk to them if he's around," Dorcan suggested.  "If not, one of the demomen.  I'd do it myself but I'm still new around here and liable to confuse things more than help."

Azlan

With a groan Morgan returned to the land of the conscious.  He lifted his head a bit and gazed about the area he was in.  His surroundings did not look familiar to him and he could not remember how he had gotten here.  He noticed the blood on his hands and on his clothes, and slowly the confusion drained from him.  Examining the dressing, it was done fairly well and only a bit stained with fresh blood.

His internal systems reported the internal bleeding was under control and condition was stable.  Sighing, he looked towards the front and back of the vehicle, debating whether he should try walking.  Instead he called out, "Hello?  Anyone there?  Did everyone leave and forget about me?"

His head was still not clear enough to even think to check the comm channels.

Lisky

Ranger beeped a rather loud alert in darkshine's ear "it seems our guest has healed enough to wake back up sir, he seems rather confused, i recommend you come back in... "

Planting a hand on the very edge of the banshee, Darkshine gripped the frame, and swung himself down into the cargo area, landing on his feet, he greeted the redhead with a nod and a half wave, he said "ahh, your awake, good to see you weren't out for too long... "