03/16/09 [DMFA #983] - Oh, Kria.

Started by Jairus, March 15, 2009, 11:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiggertoo

Ah, Lorenda and Kria -- same planet, different worlds.  :mowhappy   I think Kria is right though - they're doing just fine on their own. As for breaking it up, a few buckets of ice water might help -- but otherwise it would be like sticking your hand into a catfight - only much worse.

So Dan gives as good or better than he gets -- looks like he gives DP some to-the-bone cuts and some bone breakage as well (from the sound of it). DP's yell says Dan did a very good job whatever he did. Dan's got the eyes starting to glow blue and the clan mark coming in a little more clearly - and a really damned determined look on his face. I think Dan'll get a really good powerup from DP's pain here too.

Prediction: Kria and Lorenda do eventually break it up some way or the other (at least for a little while); meanwhile, Regina realizes that distance is her friend and immediately gets herself some, leaving Dan vs Regina for another day.

edit: bloody typo

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Teh_Hobo on March 16, 2009, 12:16:06 AM
...is it me or does the mark on his shoulder look a bit like a smiley sticking out  its tongue?

That's the Cyra clan symbol coming in, a bit more defined/solid here than in the previous strip.

Quote from: Teroniss on March 16, 2009, 01:03:48 AM
Quote from: senrath on March 15, 2009, 11:53:00 PM
And yikes, DP almost got his hand chopped off, by the looks of things.

Judging from DP's cry of pain in the last panel, I think he did >.>

There was speculation of Aliph being raised as an undead. His pained yell in the last panel would indicate that he's actually alive, since it's been said that undead don't feel pain. Also he has no glowing yellow pupils.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

terrycloth

I think that at heart Dark Pegasus is more of a researcher than a fighter per-se. Maybe he wished that he'd gotten to be a teacher?

Starcat5

Quote from: AmigaDragon on March 16, 2009, 04:19:26 AM
There was speculation of Aliph being raised as an undead. His pained yell in the last panel would indicate that he's actually alive, since it's been said that undead don't feel pain. Also he has no glowing yellow pupils.
Well, there goes my theory. Additionally, Dan isn't bleeding as much as I would expect, ether. Combined with Amber apologizing for what little blood we do see, for TWO DAYS NOW, I am forced to chalk it up to artistic license.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

tiggertoo

Quote from: terrycloth on March 16, 2009, 04:30:39 AM
I think that at heart Dark Pegasus is more of a researcher than a fighter per-se. Maybe he wished that he'd gotten to be a teacher?
Although we don't see him, I'm pretty sure it's big brother DP mentoring a roughly 400 year younger Kria here in Abel's story:
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Abel_69.php
(Also, this whole scene with Abel is something I remember about Kria whenever anyone starts in with the whole "Kria is totally evil" thing -- all these characters are way more complex than that.)

So yeah, DP does have a side that wants to be a teacher. If he'd just stop messing about with the Dark God, I think they could figure out some way to get along (somewhat anyway -- he'd still not be all gumdrops and sugar plums by any means).

I would like to see Fi bring Abel -- just to see Abel and Kria together again.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fex on March 16, 2009, 04:08:28 AM
good advice when fighting with someone, don't tell them things they don't know so that they can use it against you :U

I was going to say - in retrospect it was an incredibly dim thing to do.  I think Tech's fears about DP being genre-savvy may have been premature  :P

Quote from: !KCA on March 16, 2009, 01:51:46 AM
I was actually expecting Dan to wrap his tentacles around Dark Pegasus' arm and turn it into a pile of steaks.

That may yet happen.  Kudos for Dan for shielding himself though, however late it may be (though his head is still exposed).  Hopefully the pain will allow him to heal up/stop the bleeding before it gets critical.

Quote from: Marmonstein on March 15, 2009, 11:53:21 PM
Glowy eyes are a fun sign.

Yes.  'Cubi seem to do the glowy-eye thing when they're about to royally lose it, a'la Hennya.  Destania and Aary also did this, though I don't think their eyes went the colour of their clan-mark that time.

Quote from: tiggertoo on March 16, 2009, 05:00:52 AM
I would like to see Fi bring Abel -- just to see Abel and Kria together again.

"Missus Soulstealer...?!"

One thing that disturbs me about this strip is that Regina isn't there.  She needs to be taken out so she can't interfere.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

jeffh4

I do like how Kria is keeping in character, which is basically laissez-faire non-interference.  She very much believes in letting people suffer/gain from the consequences of their own actions.  The fact that she has more than a touch of black humor about it just makes it more fun.

Unclear whether Dan has had an artery or his heart injured.  That actually won't be known until DP's hand is removed. That's why you don't remove a knife until you reach the hospital, because that could be the only thing arresting the bleeding.

On an unrelated note, I'm hereby claiming the no-prize for furthest away posting.  I'm typing this from the Base Library of Downtown Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. 

Madmann135

I must say Dan cutting Aliph's arm off mid fight is an interesting move.  It is also something I think Dan would do... It's something I would do given the opportunity. 
Dan also appears to have cleaned up his fighting style as he appears to be fighting with focus now.

Oh and Aliph... ouch, wrong cubi to mess with.
I think Dan is casting or about to cast a spell but which one is up in the air.

Amber no need to apologies for the blood, it only add to the severity of the fight.  It is a lot cleaner than some Disney movies where they show drug and alcohol use in addition to gratuitous blood.  A few Mickey Mouse movies fall into said category.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Madmann135 on March 16, 2009, 05:43:39 AM
I must say Dan cutting Aliph's arm off mid fight is an interesting move.  It is also something I think Dan would do... It's something I would do given the opportunity. 
When I first saw the page, I thought Dan had kicked him in the nuts...

Healing, one would hope.  That's the sort of basic magic that even an Adventurer should learn.

Madmann135

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 16, 2009, 05:44:45 AM
When I first saw the page, I thought Dan had kicked him in the nuts...

Healing, one would hope.  That's the sort of basic magic that even an Adventurer should learn.

For all we know Dan might have only to add insult+injury to injury.  Aliph was in the perfect position to get his groin damaged from a well placed strike which would cause him to rear back in pain... along with loosing his arm.

Dan is not known for being the most clearest thinking one, he tends to think outside the box so he may have sacrificed defense for offense.
That or he's in some sort of cubi rage where he instinctively makes his moves.

Zemyla

You know, I'm wondering if Dan might let DP live this time, as he hasn't done anything wrong at this point (other than come back from the dead).

John Roh

Quote from: senrath on March 16, 2009, 01:32:00 AM
And once again, Kria manages to make me laugh.

I dunno, I think I'd scream a lot if I got my arm cut straight to the bone, possibly breaking said bone in the process.  Cutting all the way through wouldn't be necessary for that kind of reaction, I don't think.

it's hard to tell from the angle could it be DP's head that was hit by the wings?

Tapewolf

Quote from: John Roh on March 16, 2009, 07:00:21 AM
it's hard to tell from the angle could it be DP's head that was hit by the wings?

I don't think he quite has the reach for that, though I suppose it's just possible he's sliced the end of his muzzle.

Hellcat

I'm wondering what mood Dan is going to be in after the fight... I actually thought of an alternate scenario, being the twisted person that I am, that he wins, something snaps in his mind, he returns to Lost Lake all full of rage and yet very satisfied at causing pain, he starts then going in to a rampage, now blinded to his own judgment, just wishing to destroy inflict pain on anyone and everyone who had ever wronged him... Abel shows up, gags/vomits because of all the blood Dan is covered in, tries to reason with him, well since he is supposed to be his tutor and help him deal with his emotions and abilities... At that point Destania shows up, now happy that her son has embraced his cubi abilities tells him to help her destroy the dragons, after telling him exactly what happened to his father to get him more enraged and becomes a fighter for his mother, who was just doing the whole Aniz thing, being a loving parent until the abilities kick in....

Of course that's just my thoughts. In the possibly 100% chance that isn't going to happen. I say this is alternate ending

Madmann135

Quote from: Hellcat on March 16, 2009, 07:17:18 AM
I'm wondering what mood Dan is going to be in after the fight... I actually thought of an alternate scenario, being the twisted person that I am, that he wins, something snaps in his mind, he returns to Lost Lake all full of rage and yet very satisfied at causing pain, he starts then going in to a rampage, now blinded to his own judgment, just wishing to destroy inflict pain on anyone and everyone who had ever wronged him... Abel shows up, gags/vomits because of all the blood Dan is covered in, tries to reason with him, well since he is supposed to be his tutor and help him deal with his emotions and abilities... At that point Destania shows up, now happy that her son has embraced his cubi abilities tells him to help her destroy the dragons, after telling him exactly what happened to his father to get him more enraged and becomes a fighter for his mother, who was just doing the whole Aniz thing, being a loving parent until the abilities kick in....

Of course that's just my thoughts. In the possibly 100% chance that isn't going to happen. I say this is alternate ending

"Lets all go to the lobby, Lets all go to the lobby, Lets all go to the lobby and get ourselves some snacks."

You are forgetting about Lorenda and Kira.

Like I said before, the only one who would want to stop those two from killing each other is Lorenda.
Though the way Dan injured Aliph I think Regina is going to try and get on his good side... that or run for the hills.

And only because I have Star Wars on the brain...

Dan shot/attacked first, Dan got Aliph to scream first.

inuhanyo

Hands controlling attacker's hand. Check.
Glowing eyes of doom. Check.
Clan mark becoming more defined. Check.
Serious counter attack. Check.

Dan's turning the momentum of battle around, Yeah!

I think Aliph now has a broken arm, with serious cuts.  And the pain is a delicious power up for Dan.  I've observed before that fighting a Cubi with Dan's emotional affinities seriously bites.  And the double wing cross strike is a new maneuver.

Amber said previously that Dan's clan mark would come in on his shoulder.

Shachza

DP and Regina ganging up on Dan with Kria "helping."

Tune in next week when Jyrras resurrects Dan and things start getting REALLY wacky on the first episode of...  dun Dun DUNNNNNN  ...the 6 million dollar Dan.
            <-- #1 that is!

Arcblade

Ouchie.  I think that's probably just a broken arm... maybe.  Go Dan go!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Shachza on March 16, 2009, 07:58:25 AM
Tune in next week when Jyrras resurrects Dan and things start getting REALLY wacky on the first episode of...  dun Dun DUNNNNNN  ...the 6 million dollar Dan.
Ugh, I hope not...

Quote from: Madmann135 on March 16, 2009, 07:23:57 AM
You are forgetting about Lorenda and Kira.
Must we add the word 'Kira' to the swear filter?  :P

QuoteLike I said before, the only one who would want to stop those two from killing each other is Lorenda.
Though the way Dan injured Aliph I think Regina is going to try and get on his good side... that or run for the hills.

I hope she's done the sensible thing and run.  She can always come back later to see if Dan is dead yet.  Heck, that's that I'd do.

Quote from: Arcblade on March 16, 2009, 08:03:33 AM
Ouchie.  I think that's probably just a broken arm... maybe.  Go Dan go!
I think he's cut it open.  I hope Abel doesn't see this.

Kenway975

*register to throw own 2 cents in*
Quote from: Tapewolf on March 16, 2009, 05:44:45 AM
while it is known that magic has to be learned, Dan (due to Adventuring school and possibly before the incident) might know the concepts and basic techniques... but Dan has not practiced much if at all if his statement is correct.
My personal hypothesis is that he is instinctively using magic to at least moderate his wounds. This just might be my perception but his eyes really started to glow and his clan marking started to be noticeable in the third panel of #982, the point in which he was seriously injured. And while Dan does have blood on his chest, to me it looks like there is less blood there then there probably should be. However that last part could also be attributed to artistic liberties.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kenway975 on March 16, 2009, 08:12:40 AM
while it is known that magic has to be learned, Dan (due to Adventuring school and possibly before the incident) might know the concepts and basic techniques... but Dan has not practiced much if at all if his statement is correct.

I'm not convinced.  He can pull swords out of thin air and was able to levitate rocks as a child.  Even Dan, prejudiced as he is, would be able to see the use of a healing spell, in much the same way as he loved Abel's sword trick at SAIA.

QuoteMy personal hypothesis is that he is instinctively using magic to at least moderate his wounds.
That is also likely.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.  Remember to read the rules, be good, have fun etc...

Terrion

Quote from: Madmann135 on March 16, 2009, 07:23:57 AM

Sings (badly):"The Hills are aliiiiiiiiive, with the sound of screeeeeeeaminnnnnng!:idol

Leaving Regina behind for the moment (while her absence just now is suspicious, it could just be that she's just that much marginalized by the scene at hand)...

(To be sung to the tune of "Hair" - more or less)

Pain

You ask me why...must I fight this guy?
I'm the noon and he the night; We strike with all our might!
I'm in pain, high and low,
A burning rage; blood so cold!
Why won't this guy stay dead?
A recuring demon overlord!

Gimme nerve ripping pain, sharp beautiful pain!
Shining, gleaming, steaming, screaming, tasty
Give me down to there, pain!
Right through the heart (pain!)
You tried to rip my heart out, Aliph, let me return the favor!

Pain! (pain, pain, pain, pain, pain)
Feel it, Steal it; 
Long as my body heals it, My Pain!

As we fight and we bleed, you're giving me what I need
Every blow such delicious pain
As Regina flees, as we fight and bleed
A violent feast, there ain't no words
For the beauty, the splendor, the wonder of my

Pain! (pain, pain, pain, pain, pain)
Feel it, Steal it; 
Long as my body heals it, My Pain!

I want it long, tortured, hazy, crazy
Tattered, ragged, ratty, matty
Sharp and fleeting, or dull and lingering
Gleaming, steaming, screaming, tasty
Knotted, polka-dotted; Twisted, stitched and blistered
Pounding, flowing, and always growing
Bangled, tangled, spangled and exploding!

O-oh, Say can you see; my eyes if you can,
Then you're way too close!
Down to blood, down to bone,
Fighting now, in your own home;
No quarter given!
doo doo doo doo doot-doot doo doo doot

They'll be talking at my sister's bar
They'll tell me that I'v gone too far!
My wings made of blue, and bloodied feathers
Our pain and the rage that fuels it
Normally I would abhore it
But with this agony my fight is won!
Why do my friends all fear me?

With all due appologies for turning an idealistic hippy song into a tribute to Dan's glory and horror...  >:3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Terrion on March 16, 2009, 08:27:22 AM
(To be sung to the tune of "Hair" - more or less)

Okay, that made me giggle.  I'm not sure the younger ones will get it though (and I only did because my parents were children of the 60s)...

EDIT:

"This was before they had sound regulations and it was so loud we couldn't make out what they were singing.  They literally brought the house down, though - a couple of weeks later, the theatre collapsed."
--My father, describing the time he took my mother to see it

Michael Chandra

If you're going to abuse songs, I'm forced to reply with the following original lyrics (so not entirely fitting):

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too!
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through!
So when you're waiting for the next attack,
you'd better stand there's no turning back!

I originally thought he'd broken the arm/wrist with a twist of the arms, but seems like the crack is from the wings cutting through the skin and the bone. That arm only has half the bone thickness at that point right now. o_o

And did anyone notice that the clan marking seems to have changed (to be precise: extended) in each of the 3 panels it featured in? As if it's manifesting its true shape rather quickly.

(Kria has completely lost all interest in this fight considering her bored look.)

Kenway975

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 16, 2009, 08:17:19 AM
Quote from: Kenway975 on March 16, 2009, 08:12:40 AM

I'm not convinced.  He can pull swords out of thin air and was able to levitate rocks as a child.  Even Dan, prejudiced as he is, would be able to see the use of a healing spell, in much the same way as he loved Abel's sword trick at SAIA.

Granted. But at the same time, sometimes I wonder if the pull the swords out of thin air is completely magical or not. While #707 shows warping in traits, and it is mentioned that her ability is similar to Dan's, #887 and #689 to me suggest that there is some component that is physical in which they hide on their person - note the "You can hide all sorts of things..." and the "They forgot to search me..." lines.
Also, if it was purely magical... wouldn't there have been at least a small hint of his marking? From what I understand from #551 is that when a cubi uses magic, his/her clan marking becomes more visible. It's also, in my opinion, a count against him having much experience with healing spells. The fact that cubi don't usually get their clan marks until their magical powers increase to me indicates that very low levels of magic usage does not make the mark appear. That would allow for levitation of rocks, warping of weapons if you have an appropriate focus, and minor healing. Minor as akin to comparing the height of a jump due to surprise and that of a standing high jumps or that of a pole vaulter.

And thank you for the welcome, Tapewolf

Shadowcatcher

That's one way to disarm your opponent, ouch.  Judging from DP's scream, if that arm wasn't lopped off entirely, it's going to be more or less useless now.

Curiouser and curiouser.  The wing guillotine attack is obviously not magical, so I wonder what else Dan is doing; it's gotta be hard to multitask with someone's thumb buried in your chest.

Edit: Judging from DP's passionate scream, I think it can be said that Dan just rolled a critical strike. ^.^

Alondro

Dan's rage has set off Berserker mode, in which he will become like Eva Unit 1 and start eating DP's carcass after he rips his face off.  :3

On another note, I read Mab's mini-rant.  So death is associated with blood loss, eh?  What do you know!
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Michael Chandra

Quote from: Hellcat on March 16, 2009, 12:37:43 AMyou know... I actually am starting to dislike Lorenda... She just so un demon like.
She went through a rebellious peace-loving phase, remember? She doesn't have the full demon mindset.

Amber Williams

Couple things I figure I should mention:

For those who seem to think Dan keeps getting power-ups from all the pain going around, keep in mind Dan has pretty much always been passively emotional feeding.  While he's likely getting some sort of rush, its more in the sense he's passively absorbing emotions he's affined to rather than say, passively absorbing ones he is not.  Dan's not a sponge, and even if he was he likely would have needed to train to learn how to effectively absorb emotions.  (Just because something comes naturally to someone, it doesnt mean mastering it comes along as well)

In regards to the blood: I actually attempted to do a bit of research on things and as someone pointed out, the fact there is a large claw (and now Dan's wingblades) blocking the path...there isn't as insane a bloodflow yet.  Granted I could be very wrong on the matter because I'll honestly admit I don't know a whole lot of how blood physics works. But I did know enough to avoid overzelous blood fountains.  The way I figure, the blood is an unfortunate bi-product of having to draw a full out slashing fight. It shouldn't be the focus.

Thirdly. I feel I should mention that there is more to using ones energy reserves than simply just casting magic spells. Granted magic is the most flashy and obvious and taxing of the two, but the simple matter in this is that Dan's sort of overclocking his own energy reserves by keeping up the tentacles and the fighting full force.  And well...if Dan's own energy fails him, it's only natural that subconciously he would begin to outsource a secondary energy supply.

*skitters off into the night*

Akisohida

Oh! Oh! DP! I know Dans weakness! Feed him shellfish! No feathers = no wing-tentacles! :D
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.