3/14/09 [DMFA #981] - No punchline

Started by Caswin, March 14, 2009, 01:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshofspam

Quote from: Arcblade on March 14, 2009, 07:09:10 PM
I'd cite him smacking Regina first as proof that he's not completely lost it to his fury. 

Ah, Kind of like he's saying I'll take care of you later. But instead of saying it he just takes her out with a wing pow to the hopefully glass jaw.

For Regina that message was probably close to Dan showing her whats to come if she's still around after he takes care of DP, taking her down a peg and of her feet to keep her out of the fight, and telling her to get out of his way and out of his sight or their will be no doubt that he'll kill her. :kruger

I wonder if Regina will actually learn something from this?  Provided that she survives all this.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

demecowen

Quote from: Cvstos on March 14, 2009, 04:38:28 AM
Am I the only one that wants to see Dan finally and utterly kick DP's butt in an epic curb-stomp battle / moment?

Here the thing; how well is Amber in creating a fight scene? I can only remember two fights both with dan one with DP that was hardly epic and Aaryanna was more of a "dance off"

But hey Amber drawing of a building can go like this to this then I can hardly wait for monday comic

Tapewolf

Other fights include Dan vs Aliyka (though it didn't go too well for him) and the Battle of Armansta Forest (?) in Abel's Story.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Draken

*Grumbles muchly as he hands inuhanyo $5*
OK, so dan is now going for DP, DP looks at the ready, and HOPEFULLY the fight will ense.

$5 says that just before they strike Amer goes into a scene change!
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Alondro

I think DP has become the Dark God, the ritual for which required him to die three times at the hand of his enemies.

Why else would he get beaten by Dan twice when he was just a sodding adventurer?

Just a thought.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Titanium Dragon

QuoteI wonder if Regina will actually learn something from this?  Provided that she survives all this.

Its highly unlikely Regina will die here. She's had a cast page for forever, and she was one of the contestants for having a background arc on her before she'd really shown up in the comic.

Dying here would be very strange. Its far more likely she'll survive.

The real question is whether Aliph will survive this. It is possible Kria will call off the fight, or Lorenda will, but if they don't, I doubt Aliph will survive, given the fact that Dan is now far more powerful than he was previously. Of course, that assumes being ressurected doesn't make Aliph stronger. And Dan may just beat him down, THEN get stopped.

Then again, Kria doesn't seem all that attached to her brother. She'll ressurect him, but conversely, she was willing to let Dan pay her to not bring him back, and Lorenda didn't really have much to say about it.

It is also possible, however, there will be a plot twist thrown in here somewhere, wherein Aliph mentions how Dan is a part of his mother's plan, or says something about Destania which prevents Dan from killing him.

Lest we forget, DP himself has a cast page.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Titanium Dragon on March 14, 2009, 11:33:54 PM
QuoteI wonder if Regina will actually learn something from this?  Provided that she survives all this.

Its highly unlikely Regina will die here. She's had a cast page for forever, and she was one of the contestants for having a background arc on her before she'd really shown up in the comic.

Dying here would be very strange. Its far more likely she'll survive.

The real question is whether Aliph will survive this. It is possible Kria will call off the fight, or Lorenda will, but if they don't, I doubt Aliph will survive, given the fact that Dan is now far more powerful than he was previously. Of course, that assumes being ressurected doesn't make Aliph stronger. And Dan may just beat him down, THEN get stopped.

Then again, Kria doesn't seem all that attached to her brother. She'll ressurect him, but conversely, she was willing to let Dan pay her to not bring him back, and Lorenda didn't really have much to say about it.

It is also possible, however, there will be a plot twist thrown in here somewhere, wherein Aliph mentions how Dan is a part of his mother's plan, or says something about Destania which prevents Dan from killing him.

Lest we forget, DP himself has a cast page.

You make good points, although at least in Dark Pegasus's case, I don't think that his having a cast page precludes him from dying.  Hasn't he died already?  More than once?  Anyway, it's not like I'd expect any heart-wrenching sob story over his permanent removal from the comic, either within or without.

But you're right, whether he survives THIS is the real issue.  It wouldn't make sense for Regina not to since she's only been (re-)introduced very recently, and given a cast page that actually SAID anything only recently, and all that a character needs in order to BE a character only recently.  However, none of that is the case with Dark Pegasus--we've only learned that he's Kria's brother recently, and as you say, that hardly makes him an indispensable character now.

However, now you bring up Destania, I remember that it was she (as Biggs) who sent Dan on this quest in the first place, ostensibly to get RID of Dark Pegasus, although Kria's asking if Biggs sent some goons is confusing, especially since he didn't seem to mind Dee posing as him for Dan--although I don't discount the possibility that she's doing something personal behind his back.  I mean, she didn't actually tell him specifically what she was doing, which I thought was harmless, but it could be she's just THAT GOOD (I wouldn't put that past her), and it's making me wonder just what her agenda really is....

!KCA

DP is genre savvy but has a soft spot for theatrics because they're fun, no? I suspect the reason he screws around with Dan is because death is cheap. How would he react if Dan makes it clear that, no, you won't have a get-out-of-death-free card this time around?

P.S.: Is it necessarily true that Dan has been the only one to kill DP? He may use it on anyone who'll fall for, "Okay, I'm dead. Really. Now, go away. Shoo." Because playing possum is a lot more convincing if you're actually dead.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Baal Hadad on March 15, 2009, 01:02:42 AM
However, now you bring up Destania, I remember that it was she (as Biggs) who sent Dan on this quest in the first place, ostensibly to get RID of Dark Pegasus, although Kria's asking if Biggs sent some goons is confusing, especially since he didn't seem to mind Dee posing as him for Dan--although I don't discount the possibility that she's doing something personal behind his back.  I mean, she didn't actually tell him specifically what she was doing, which I thought was harmless, but it could be she's just THAT GOOD (I wouldn't put that past her), and it's making me wonder just what her agenda really is....

I'd say that Kria's expecting Biggs' goons to arrive corroborates the story that Biggs does try and stop DP's resurrections.  I'm sure Dee has personal reasons to send her son to do what Biggs' goon fail at, besides the fact that he has an excellent chance of actually succeeding.

Quote from: !KCA on March 15, 2009, 01:12:01 AM
DP is genre savvy but has a soft spot for theatrics because they're fun, no? I suspect the reason he screws around with Dan is because death is cheap. How would he react if Dan makes it clear that, no, you won't have a get-out-of-death-free card this time around?
And I expect Dan to make such a statement, sometime before he kills DP for the last time.

inuhanyo

Quote from: joshofspam on March 14, 2009, 07:21:08 PM
Quote from: Arcblade on March 14, 2009, 07:09:10 PM
I'd cite him smacking Regina first as proof that he's not completely lost it to his fury. 

Ah, Kind of like he's saying I'll take care of you later. But instead of saying it he just takes her out with a wing pow to the hopefully glass jaw.

For Regina that message was probably close to Dan showing her whats to come if she's still around after he takes care of DP, taking her down a peg and of her feet to keep her out of the fight, and telling her to get out of his way and out of his sight or their will be no doubt that he'll kill her. :kruger

I wonder if Regina will actually learn something from this?  Provided that she survives all this.

One thing it demonstrates is how unready Regina still is for fighting a serious opponent.  She was looking in Dan's direction (who else was her smug expression meant for?) and he still sucker punched her.  Swatted her like a bug, actually.   She's quite right to be afraid of Dan, the only challenge she presents to him is catching her.

ishidan

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 14, 2009, 04:17:22 PM
DP: I am dark Pegasus! Tremble before my might! I will raise the dark God an usher in a new Era of Darkness! *long ranting speech of how awesome he is*
Dan:  Oh yeah?  Well I am Daniel Ti'Fiona.  I have the power of an incubus but the heart of an adventurer, and a
Dan: *shank mid-speech*
DP: ...
Dan: ...score to settle with both Regina and you.  I learned that one from you.
DP: *gurgle* *dies*

FTFY.  The mid-monologue strike as taught by DP is done while the striker, not the target, is speaking.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 15, 2009, 01:21:37 AM
I'd say that Kria's expecting Biggs' goons to arrive corroborates the story that Biggs does try and stop DP's resurrections.  I'm sure Dee has personal reasons to send her son to do what Biggs' goon fail at, besides the fact that he has an excellent chance of actually succeeding.

Maybe I'm just not used to this "evil" way of being in DMFA, but I suppose you may have a point--it's just that the way Kria was talking, it sounded (to me) like Biggs was on HER side, or at least that he was pretending to be....

Granted her heart wasn't all that in reviving her brother, but she was still trying to do that....

inuhanyo

Quote from: Baal Hadad on March 15, 2009, 02:54:11 AM

Maybe I'm just not used to this "evil" way of being in DMFA, but I suppose you may have a point--it's just that the way Kria was talking, it sounded (to me) like Biggs was on HER side, or at least that he was pretending to be....

Granted her heart wasn't all that in reviving her brother, but she was still trying to do that....

Whom do you think she was setting up the trap for?  Even if she'd gotten it completely installed, it still wouldn't have worked on Dan.  And she wasn't expecting Daniel Ti'Fiona.

Michael Chandra

Quote from: !KCA on March 15, 2009, 01:12:01 AMP.S.: Is it necessarily true that Dan has been the only one to kill DP? He may use it on anyone who'll fall for, "Okay, I'm dead. Really. Now, go away. Shoo." Because playing possum is a lot more convincing if you're actually dead.
The amount of times he defeated DP and the amount of times DP died are equal so...

Mao

Quote from: Michael Chandra on March 15, 2009, 04:05:59 AM
Quote from: !KCA on March 15, 2009, 01:12:01 AMP.S.: Is it necessarily true that Dan has been the only one to kill DP? He may use it on anyone who'll fall for, "Okay, I'm dead. Really. Now, go away. Shoo." Because playing possum is a lot more convincing if you're actually dead.
The amount of times he defeated DP and the amount of times DP died are equal so...

Actually, that's not true.  We know that he 'defeated' DP with the help of the amazons the first time but that DP did not die that time.

Michael Chandra

Hm... If that counts as 'thwarted' (while in truth, let's face it, he didn't), then there's indeed a discrepancy of three revivals, ergo three deaths, and only two times killed by Dan... However, he never explained whatever plan he might have had the first time, so it's uncertain whether the plan that got thwarted thrice is the one from their first encounter.
I assumed he simply defeated DP twice in his professional adventuring career, which makes three thwarts, three kills total so far, and one disaster.

Jack McSlay

any further doubts about dan being more effective with the sword than the tentacles?

Also, Alyph's cast page still saf he's dead, although I think Amber just been forgetful
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's possible she knows something we don't.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 15, 2009, 09:07:38 AM
It's possible she knows something we don't.

That he's only slightly bleeding from his cuts did make me wonder, actually.

EDIT:
Was Jack's post intended for the new thread?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Evil Fox

No punch lines are perhaps the punchest of all punch lines.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: inuhanyo on March 15, 2009, 03:29:26 AM
Quote from: Baal Hadad on March 15, 2009, 02:54:11 AM

Whom do you think she was setting up the trap for?  Even if she'd gotten it completely installed, it still wouldn't have worked on Dan.  And she wasn't expecting Daniel Ti'Fiona.

D'oh!

That should have occurred to me, yes....  *feels sheepish*