02/26/09 [Abel 2 #47] - Revenge, Pain and Terror

Started by Jairus, February 26, 2009, 01:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

While there's been a couple of comments on it's contents, I've got say I'm really liking Dee's and Fa'Lina's outfits, if Amber even needed another job there's always fashion design.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

meany

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 26, 2009, 04:44:26 PM
Quote from: Psy-Kosh on February 26, 2009, 04:02:58 PM
Let me clarify: Can, in principle a cubi exist such that their natural affinities are just pain/suffering/torment, yet their personality and or morals are completely the opposite? ie, that they would simply never do those things, even though that's what they could most easily feed on?

I suspect it primarily depends on their upbringing.

Dan doesn't seem to go around hurting people for kicks.  He does get a kick out of justice, though.  Abel might do the confusion thing (that is currently unclear) but he seems to have gone out of his way to avoid misery in others, e.g. Jyrras, and also Dan.  Note also that he eats food a lot.

Granted, we haven't seen either of them for an extended period of time - Abel we've only known for about a month (his time) and Dan has only been 'Cubi for maybe two months.

It has been suggested that 'Cubi may over their lives unconsciously adopt behaviour patterns that induce particular emotions in others.
Could it be that, like tastebuds in humans, a cubi's preferances for emotions change after a certain amount of time?

Quote from: MT Hazard on February 26, 2009, 05:45:12 PM
While there's been a couple of comments on it's contents, I've got say I'm really liking Dee's and Fa'Lina's outfits, if Amber even needed another job there's always fashion design.
Indeed, their outfits are awesome, however Destainia seems to be laying it on a bit thick at the moment, in my opinion.

Jairus

Quote from: Meany on February 26, 2009, 06:06:26 PM
Quote from: MT Hazard on February 26, 2009, 05:45:12 PM
Indeed, their outfits are awesome, however Destainia seems to be laying it on a bit thick at the moment, fashion-wise, in my opinion.
Well, she is trying to sway the opinion of a young adult male. Just saying that.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on February 26, 2009, 06:09:02 PM
Well, she is trying to sway the opinion of a young adult male. Just saying that.
...like Regina was in 388?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 26, 2009, 06:10:55 PM
Quote from: Jairus on February 26, 2009, 06:09:02 PM
...like Regina was in 388?
Not quite exactly what I was thinking. Destania seems to be... flaunting a little more, though. And, notably, she's missing the blood. Which is a good thing, because that might have put Abel off of Destania forever.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on February 26, 2009, 06:12:34 PM
Not quite exactly what I was thinking. Destania seems to be... flaunting a little more, though. And, notably, she's missing the blood. Which is a good thing, because that might have put Abel off of Destania forever.
Perhaps closer than you think.  The way I see it, Regina is effectively saying "Come with me... we'll kill a bunch of Beings for fun!"
Destania is inviting Abel to kill people and destroy their souls, which is arguably far worse than Regina's little spree.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 26, 2009, 06:15:48 PM
Perhaps closer than you think.  The way I see it, Regina is effectively saying "Come with me... we'll kill a bunch of Beings for fun!"
Destania is inviting Abel to kill people and destroy their souls, which is arguably far worse than Regina's little spree.
No, what I meant was that I hadn't been thinking about Regina's offer to Dan, but you're making sense here. I see what you're getting at, and it is certainly similar to say the least.

Terrion

Quote from: Jairus on February 26, 2009, 01:15:39 PM
To be fair, we've seen... what... six dragons? One of whom is a main character and was adopted by a Cubi, another who was slightly forgetful and Dan owes ten bucks to, one who accidentally wiped out the last of the vampires (and to be fair, did apologize for landing on them), one who crushed a car (which was a bit mean of them), one who stepped on Dan in a non-canon arc because Dan pissed him off, and one who - offscreen - married a college student and had kids with them. I'm just playing reverse devil's advocate here, but aside from the aforementioned war (which I'm willing to bet the Cubi did okay in since they're not gone, and probably gave back what was given to them in battle) and the group that kidnapped Edward... dragons on the whole might be jerks, but dragons as individuals seem no better or worse than anyone else. And let's be fair, when you're either the first or second most powerful magic wielders in the universe, you are entitled to be a little haughty about it.

Don't forget the one in the "Furrae Dress Codes" arc which was told that he'd have to put on a giant pair of pants before entering a city due to somewhat stricter than normal local ordinances. So that's seven!   :3

llearch n'n'daCorna

http://missmab.com/Demo/Fashion02.php ?

That's not part of the main strip, and as such, probably shouldn't be counted...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

meany

What about the one in the bookstore saying, "You scry, you buy?"

Terrion

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 26, 2009, 06:26:27 PM

That's not part of the main strip, and as such, probably shouldn't be counted...

Point. Although if it does count, it would be eight. I forgot that there were two dragons in that one...  

Jairus

Quote from: Meany on February 26, 2009, 06:28:25 PM
What about the one in the bookstore saying, "You scry, you buy?"
Hey, in a world where people can scry, I'd have a rule like that too. That's just good business.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 26, 2009, 06:26:27 PM

Well, in this case I'd sit back and watch the squishing commence. That's just a little stringent for a giant creature like that.

Cylonis

This update, combined with the Lorenda sketch, has fulfilled my daily requirements of mammary and awesome.  >:3

As for Aniz and Des, I'm just curious who started their feud, since both have proven to be less then nice. 

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cylonis on February 26, 2009, 06:51:59 PM
As for Aniz and Des, I'm just curious who started their feud, since both have proven to be less then nice. 

If it's an inter-clan war, probably neither of them.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Jairus on February 26, 2009, 06:17:40 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 26, 2009, 06:15:48 PM
No, what I meant was that I hadn't been thinking about Regina's offer to Dan, but you're making sense here. I see what you're getting at, and it is certainly similar to say the least.
Well, be fair, Destinia's invitation is only regarding Aniz, who really has given Abel cause to hate him.  Apparently Aniz has given a lot of others cause, too.

Cylonis

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 26, 2009, 06:54:08 PM
Quote from: Cylonis on February 26, 2009, 06:51:59 PM

If it's an inter-clan war, probably neither of them.

True.  The disdain could possibly be along clan lines.  Tho for some reason I think it could be more personal then that.

Azlan

Maybe Dest is a manipulative bi... unkind female type and Aniz is a total d... jerk.  Maybe both of them are equally at fault for personality problems of their own and its not something as dramatic and deep as clan hatred or such.  Just plain old soap opera stuff.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Azlan on February 26, 2009, 07:24:30 PM
Maybe Dest is a manipulative bi... unkind female type and Aniz is a total d... jerk.  Maybe both of them are equally at fault for personality problems of their own and its not something as dramatic and deep as clan hatred or such.  Just plain old soap opera stuff.

But Destania's choice of words seems to imply that there is cause for strife between Fa'lina and Aniz. And while any of Aniz's personality defects would certainly apply there, Fa'Lina strikes me as one with a thick skin.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Cvstos

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 26, 2009, 11:41:17 AM
Quote from: Terrion on February 26, 2009, 10:53:11 AM
And lest we forget, he has recently attended the funeral of one of his childhood friends and had another friend and two acquaintances die before his eyes as well, right before Aniz' big plan began to spontaneously combust into a spectacular family wrecking screw-up. The boy is going to have issues.

That boy needs therapy.

*grin*

Just call the Mental Health Hotline!
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Baal Hadad

All I'm seeing when I look at Destania is:

"Faust, I'm Mephistopheles.  Care to sell me your soul?"

I doubt very much that Aniz and Destania are actually IN CAHOOTS, but really it's looking like a choice of evils there for poor Abel....

Draken

On the subject of the seen dragons, maybe this Amazon should count?

As for the Destania thing, from what I can gather from the comic and such....I think she is just to manipulative in general to be able to be give a whole "evi/good" quota.   That's just me of course.

Question as well....I see information being spoken around that seems to just be accepted (to an extent), and that does not seem to be in the comics themselves...am I missing something?  (Can't give an EXACT quote of such, but...well, a lot of what the mods speak of in the Story related stuff.)   :erk
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Jairus

Quote from: Draken on February 26, 2009, 07:52:43 PM
On the subject of the seen dragons, maybe this Amazon should count?
Quite possibly. Did we get confirmation that she is a dragon? If so, that's another "good" dragon for the pile.

QuoteAs for the Destania thing, from what I can gather from the comic and such....I think she is just to manipulative in general to be able to be give a whole "evi/good" quota.   That's just me of course.
Ehh... in my mind Fa'Lina is the real manipulative one. Destania... well, to be blunt at this point in time she doesn't feel as refined as Fa'Lina does. The problem is that she is planning - and has done - a few evil acts.

QuoteQuestion as well....I see information being spoken around that seems to just be accepted (to an extent), and that does not seem to be in the comics themselves...am I missing something?  (Can't give an EXACT quote of such, but...well, a lot of what the mods speak of in the Story related stuff.)   :erk
Well, a general idea of what you have a question about would be a little helpful. I mean, for example, the nature of DMFA canon, or Abel's backstory, or stuff like that.

Also, welcome aboard, Draken. Don't be afraid to announce your arrival in the Villa. We won't bite.

Draken

Well, a general idea of what you have a question about would be a little helpful. I mean, for example, the nature of DMFA canon, or Abel's backstory, or stuff like that.
Canon in general.  I have read the entire thing in about a weekend, but I feel like I missed something... :B

QuoteAlso, welcome aboard, Draken. Don't be afraid to announce your arrival in the Villa. We won't bite.

Will do.  Thank.   :mowmeep
Go get'em, Jy!

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

Jairus

Quote from: Draken on February 26, 2009, 09:00:05 PM
Canon in general.  I have read the entire thing in about a weekend, but I feel like I missed something... :B
[/quote]

Well, okay. In short, Canon is the main DMFA comic, Abel's Story, the Demonology and Cast Pages, and Word of God(dess) (IE, Amber herself says something). So, for example, the earliest strips (before about 79 or so) are basically not canon as far as I've heard. The wallpaper wars, however, are not canon (um... crud, I don't know where you can look at these). Does that help any?

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Pagan on February 26, 2009, 12:58:50 PM
Well, I think it's implied (or it might be directly stated) that the Dragons once nearly killed off the Cubi race. And Dest feels that the best means of preserving the Cubi race is through the eradication or the complete banishment of the Dragon race from Furrae. A bit extreme, but perhaps what is necessary, considering what ponces Dragons are.

From what I see here, only Cyra's clan is having it out with the dragons.

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_726.php
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_728.php
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_729.php

With regards,
Ted

Draken

Quote from: Jairus on February 26, 2009, 09:05:52 PM
Well, okay. In short, Canon is the main DMFA comic, Abel's Story, the Demonology and Cast Pages, and Word of God(dess) (IE, Amber herself says something). So, for example, the earliest strips (before about 79 or so) are basically not canon as far as I've heard. The wallpaper wars, however, are not canon (um... crud, I don't know where you can look at these). Does that help any?

Yep.  Does.  Means that I have to go forum archive hunting now   :erk

As for the WPWs, they are located in the archives.  Hillarious as all get out too.  Can't wait till the end results are updated. 
Go get'em, Jy!

Pagan

The old pages are semi-canon. And all cast pages are canon. <nod>
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

inuhanyo

Quote from: Draken on February 26, 2009, 09:09:59 PM

As for the WPWs, they are located in the archives.  Hillarious as all get out too.  Can't wait till the end results are updated. 

In addition to the Archives, there are the Cast pages etc. and a Wiki.  The wiki pages will sometimes have reference to the forum messages, it's better than trying to do a forum dive.

Jairus

Quote from: Draken on February 26, 2009, 09:09:59 PM

The search function is a lifesaver. And most of us remember which bit of Word of God comes from which thread, or the Wiki usually has links in the references to where Amber has said something. The problem is when people (like me) get ideas into their head and eventually just accept it as fact without getting Canon to back it up. Like this whole Regina thing. ;)

EDIT: Yup, ninja'ed. Thanks for being a little clearer, inuhanyo.

Quote from: Pagan on February 26, 2009, 09:13:26 PM
The old pages are semi-canon. And all cast pages are canon. <nod>
I did say the cast pages were canon, bro. As for the early pages... yeah, semi-canon works. Canon except where contradicted by later canon. So, no Pokémon in the world of Furrae.

Draken

Cool.  Thank you both.

Now to get the topic back.... :3

We know that he DOES end up training under her for some extent...but when does he start "rebelling" against Dee?  Before or after the Dead Baby Comedy time?  And if before, what caused THAT action?  

Go get'em, Jy!