02/16/09 [DMFA #973] - piddle self and run

Started by Lisky, February 15, 2009, 10:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmigaDragon

Quote from: inuhanyo on February 16, 2009, 11:56:52 PM
And from Biggs's comments, the dragons don't even know Dan exists.

They don't know Destania's incubus son exists, they (at least some) know adventurer Daniel Ti'Fiona exists. As an adventurer, I'm sure he hasn't been hiding his identity, more likely flaunting it (bar bragging). Pyroduck (probably knowing more than we think), the red dragon (Dan owes or owed $10, it was never shown if he paid, probably distracted by the conversation) that was guarding DP's lair, and at least one other I can't quite place at the moment. Oh, and did we decide that Shanna was a dragon or just some kind of mythos with a dragon-like form?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

inuhanyo

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 17, 2009, 09:43:38 PM
Quote from: Turnsky on February 17, 2009, 09:34:07 PM
Quote from: jimsan on February 17, 2009, 09:25:16 PM
Ok, I now have to change my desktop to the one you guys made, it rocks!

QuoteAnd from Biggs's comments, the dragons don't even know Dan exists.

Right, I knew that but forgot somehow. That does seem to punch a hole in that theory. Not to say it's impossible, just improbable now.

Looks like I'll have to wait for a flashback to find out how Edward ended up getting kidnapped... oh well.

you forgot one dragon, however, but he's a nice guy.  :3

Actually I remember another dragon somewhere back around Chapter 9 who Dan owed money to--I don't know if that's still considered canon or if, like Pyroduck, he's another exception to the rule of "dragons don't know Dan exists"....

I believe the key aspect is "Destinia's son".  The dragon that Dan owed money to wasn't too bright, and wouldn't have connected the Daniel he knew to Edward and Destinia.  He was too dumb to realize that he was supposed to keep Dan out, sheesh.

Pyroduck seems to be a reliable Secret Keeper.
Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 17, 2009, 10:23:46 PM
Quote from: inuhanyo on February 16, 2009, 11:56:52 PM
And from Biggs's comments, the dragons don't even know Dan exists.

They don't know Destania's incubus son exists, they (at least some) know adventurer Daniel Ti'Fiona exists. As an adventurer, I'm sure he hasn't been hiding his identity, more likely flaunting it (bar bragging). Pyroduck (probably knowing more than we think), the red dragon (Dan owes or owed $10, it was never shown if he paid, probably distracted by the conversation) that was guarding DP's lair, and at least one other I can't quite place at the moment. Oh, and did we decide that Shanna was a dragon or just some kind of mythos with a dragon-like form?

I remember reading somewhere that Shanna was indeed a dragon.  Of course, she also thought Dan was a girl at first, and was still calling him "Danna" at the end of the adventure.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: inuhanyo on February 17, 2009, 11:35:50 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Shanna was indeed a dragon.  Of course, she also thought Dan was a girl at first, and was still calling him "Danna" at the end of the adventure.

Actually there's no evidence of that.  The only time Shanna refers to Dan in the third person, she uses male pronouns.  The closest she got was when she called Dan's robe his "secret dress."

It's only Graz and Kass who mistook him for a girl, and neither of them were dragons.

senrath

Quote from: Tyranastrasz on February 17, 2009, 10:17:24 PM
That dragon didn't seem all that bright, though. I doubt it remembered that Dan passed by 10 seconds after he left, much less long enough to tell other dragons.
He remembered Dan enough to know that he was owed $10.

Jairus

I've always wondered if it's the entire Dragon race that's gunning for the Ti'Fiona's, or just a handful of them or a group of them that are fed up with Destania and the 'Cubi race and is trying to wipe them out. I mean, I can buy an entire race wanting to exterminate another (goodness knows Star Trek pulled that one a few times), and I know there's still tension between Dragons and Cubi, but I have to wonder if it's just currently an extremist group of fanatical Dragons trying to wipe out the Cubi, with the other Dragons either not stopping them (because they don't care or don't want to get their hands dirty) or simply being unaware of who's behind it.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Jairus on February 17, 2009, 11:54:50 PM
I've always wondered if it's the entire Dragon race that's gunning for the Ti'Fiona's, or just a handful of them or a group of them that are fed up with Destania and the 'Cubi race and is trying to wipe them out. I mean, I can buy an entire race wanting to exterminate another (goodness knows Star Trek pulled that one a few times), and I know there's still tension between Dragons and Cubi, but I have to wonder if it's just currently an extremist group of fanatical Dragons trying to wipe out the Cubi, with the other Dragons either not stopping them (because they don't care or don't want to get their hands dirty) or simply being unaware of who's behind it.

Is it the cubi in general, or just the Cyra clan in particular?  I've never been clear on that point....

I thought it was the latter, but Abel's treatment of Pyroduck would seem to suggest otherwise, unless that was simply because he knows Dan is Destania's son....

Turnsky

my guess Cyra has some relationship with the dragons in some fashion or rather, what exactly, i cannot say. It does lead to questions such as Dan's draconically inclined wingtip heads, for example.

Good/Bad? i cannot say

if it's the reason for Dee's current planning of genocide? i can't say either..

and what all this has to do with Danny boy, i dunno..

now that i've plausibly added more questions for your minds to chew over, i must be off.  :mwaha

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Madmann135

Quote from: Cvstos on February 17, 2009, 06:04:58 PM
Well I did say it was complicated!
I'm gonna be honest; I didn't read your lovely wall-o-text there. I instead used that time cropping out the wall-o-text image instead of just doing *snip* or something else along those lines.

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 17, 2009, 09:43:38 PM
Actually I remember another dragon somewhere back around Chapter 9 who Dan owed money to--I don't know if that's still considered canon or if, like Pyroduck, he's another exception to the rule of "dragons don't know Dan exists"....

That dragon didn't seem all that bright, though. I doubt it remembered that Dan passed by 10 seconds after he left, much less long enough to tell other dragons.

The dragon could be smarter than you all think.
The bad thing about hiring mercs as employees is that you must pay them.  The dragon could have asked for payment up front and went on his break as soon as Dan and company arrived.  With payment in hand and on break the dragon's obligation to protect DP was moot.

Why does Regina remind me of Abel in issue 707?
...but Regina did the complete 180 of what Abel did.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Michael Chandra

Maybe the dumb dragon doesn't know he's a child of Destania. Then again, he has Edward's last name, so I guess it's just a dragon who's not into the plan or hasn't paid attention to his last name. But yeah, the guy struck me as a Gryphon C kind of dragon.
Hm... Do they know Edward's last name or did they blindly kidnap him without figuring that one out?

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: senrath on February 17, 2009, 11:46:39 PM
He remembered Dan enough to know that he was owed $10.

Ah, but that was a matter of the dragon's possessions, and dragons in almost every story I can think of tend to guard their hoards with every ounce of strength in their bodies.

Quote from: Turnsky on February 18, 2009, 01:00:06 AM
now that i've plausibly added more questions for your minds to chew over, i must be off.  :mwaha
EVIL!

Quote from: Turnsky on February 18, 2009, 01:00:06 AM
my guess Cyra has some relationship with the dragons in some fashion or rather, what exactly, i cannot say. It does

Your questions caused me to do some research! I should be sleeping by now, dangit! Anyway, it appears the Cyra's clan and the dragons aren't getting along to well at the moment, as you can see in the last panel.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tyranastrasz on February 18, 2009, 02:46:32 AM

Your questions caused me to do some research! I should be sleeping by now, dangit! Anyway, it appears the Cyra's clan and the dragons aren't getting along to well at the moment, as you can see in the last panel.

but the hows and whys elude us still, i didn't mean 'relationship' in the "buddy buddy" sense, but rather their overall connection.. >:3

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Tyranastrasz on February 18, 2009, 02:46:32 AM
Anyway, it appears the Cyra's clan and the dragons aren't getting along to well at the moment, as you can see in the last panel.
And in the next page, we have Fa'lina's comment about "the kill zone that makes up Destania's family". Does this mean the feud involves just Destania, and the rest of the clan get roped in because of her? Or is Destania just the only one the Dragons know about?

Confused? Who, me?   :erk
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Cvstos

Quote from: Cvstos on February 17, 2009, 06:04:58 PM
Well I did say it was complicated!
I'm gonna be honest; I didn't read your lovely wall-o-text there. I instead used that time cropping out the wall-o-text image instead of just doing *snip* or something else along those lines.

But I spent so much time explaining such an important part of modern OS design! ... On a forum for a furry webcomic. Yeah, I see your point. It was fun, though!

Amber needs to make a new side-series where all the DMFA characters fight each other.  Have the characters fight other characters within their own power level.  See who comes out on top. :D  Or at least a chart showing who'd win over who. Or she can not and tease us by only hinting at that stuff. Dang, I said it, now she's going to use it. Or was that the plan all along?
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

TheDeere

Furious, shirtless cubi'd out Dan for the win! :)

!KCA

I suspect Dan may pull off one or two stances in the next few comics that will be more awesome than his current pose. However, they won't seem as awesome because they will lack that nifty surprise factor.

Turnsky

Quote from: Jairus on February 16, 2009, 12:09:24 AM
Quote from: e_voyager on February 16, 2009, 12:06:01 AM
Dan Aaryanna would be proud! I'm not sure about you mom as you have yet to inflict pain to match the fear you've inspired in that poor undead demon girl.
Regina is not undead. She is a normal demon, who has chosen not to regenerate her wing.

now now, let the poor boy understand his mistake by re-reading her bio page, then he shall be enlightened as to the truth behind Regina's wing of bones.  >:3

AmigaDragon

This may go so far back that the comment is not necessarily canon, but "that cow is familiar..." in #76 could mean that Lorenda was present at the previous Regina incident... or (scanning back more before posting) more likely it might only be that he remembers her from the beach ice cream stand, making this post moot.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

DavidRokon

Wonder if Devon would save her. Sure he's an a :spidey :spidey hole, even again that he's undead, but he used to be an adventurer the same as Dan.

Plot twisty.

Jairus

Quote from: DavidRokon on February 18, 2009, 12:49:41 PM
Wonder if Devon would save her. Sure he's an a :spidey :spidey hole, even again that he's undead, but he used to be an adventurer the same as Dan.

Plot twisty.
Except that Devin doesn't remember his past, only what he's been taught by Kria. So, while he may know he used to be an adventurer, that'd be like being amnesiac and reading a biography of your life: sure, you know all that happened to you, but you don't remember doing it. The instincts and reflexes and all of that stuff is just not there anymore, unless he's gone and taken classes or studied again. So, in short, Devin might end up saving Regina, but it's more likely that Kria or Dan himself will stop him from killing her.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

M

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 18, 2009, 12:24:30 PM
This may go so far back that the comment is not necessarily canon, but "that cow is familiar..." in #76 could mean that Lorenda was present at the previous Regina incident... or (scanning back more before posting) more likely it might only be that he remembers her from the beach ice cream stand, making this post moot.

I think it's just that they met at the ice cream stand. Hence the "The cow finally gets a name." comment under comic #76.  :)

Naldru

I believe that Devin's response might be similar to Fi's response to a possible fight between Dan and Abel.

By the way, I just noticed that the names Dan and Cain had 50 to 66 percent of their letters in common.  Do you think that this could have some significance considering the story of Cain and Abel?

Amber seems to be like the Riddler: she has a compulsion to leave some clues, many of which may be misleading but are accurate in a twisted sort of way.

To Tapewolf:

You know how it goes.  Sometimes, you feel like a nut.  Sometimes you don't.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on February 18, 2009, 06:01:15 PM
By the way, I just noticed that the names Dan and Cain had 50 to 66 percent of their letters in common.  Do you think that this could have some significance considering the story of Cain and Abel?

Dude, I have the lock on nutty theories around here...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

jeffh4

Hmmm.  I wonder if we'll get a flashback or wall-of-text (patent pending) summary of what was originally going to be Regina's story.  You know, the one that Abel usurped by winning the Wallpaper War.

Compared to how long Abe's Story has been, that's quite a time-saver!  :mowwink

Naldru

Quote from: jeffh4 on February 18, 2009, 07:20:37 PM
Hmmm.  I wonder if we'll get a flashback or wall-of-text (patent pending) summary of what was originally going to be Regina's story.  You know, the one that Abel usurped by winning the Wallpaper War.

Compared to how long Abe's Story has been, that's quite a time-saver!  :mowwink
"Wall of text" would have to be a service mark at best, since the term is already in use in describing badly formatted prose and comics.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

inuhanyo

I wonder if Dan's remark in 301 "It's not like you are the first girl to try and slaughter me painfully..." is a reference to his first encounter with Regina?

Turnsky

Quote from: inuhanyo on February 18, 2009, 10:41:18 PM
I wonder if Dan's remark in 301 "It's not like you are the first girl to try and slaughter me painfully..." is a reference to his first encounter with Regina?

or more likely it's just Dan's way with women, don't forget wildy nearly does the same on a regular basis, same with his sister, too.

Noone

Quote from: Turnsky on February 18, 2009, 11:09:02 PM
or more likely it's just Dan's way with women, don't forget wildy nearly does the same on a regular basis, same with his sister, too.
A brawl is much different than a lethal fight. I could certainly imagine Alexsi ejecting Dan from the Inn with her mallet, and Wildy beating him senseless and knocking him unconscious, but that is leagues different from someone like Regina trying to rip his throat out with her claws or some bladed instrument.

inuhanyo

Quote from: The1Kobra on February 18, 2009, 11:16:12 PM
Quote from: Turnsky on February 18, 2009, 11:09:02 PM
A brawl is much different than a lethal fight. I could certainly imagine Alexsi ejecting Dan from the Inn with her mallet, and Wildy beating him senseless and knocking him unconscious, but that is leagues different from someone like Regina trying to rip his throat out with her claws or some bladed instrument.

It's the difference between Dan making light by equating Arry's attack to the way his sister (or Wildy) beats up on him;  or by comparing it to a serious attack that got much further along.   Either way can work.  Of course, because Alexsi is his sister, and Wildy his Friend, he doesn't get serious with them, it's just roughhousing.  With Arry, he was restricted by his promise to defense only.

Against DP, it was serious, but entirely professional, Dan had already vanquished DP once before, there was no grudge left.  Against Regina, it's serious and personal.  Regina made it very personal.  Her mistake.

jimsan

QuoteI wonder if Dan's remark in 301 "It's not like you are the first girl to try and slaughter me painfully..." is a reference to his first encounter with Regina?

Good call! Although this might refer to the bird girl from comic #911 and any number of others we don't know about as well as Regina. (Interesting fact, when you search google for "can it be am fight time now", there is only one result!)

One thing that seems to strike me throughout the comic is a bias against racism, (i.e. not all demons are bad, etc.) this drives me to think there is a group of dragons and cubi bent on destroying each other, not everyone in each race is for the idea. This leaves a little room for a dragon who has a reputation as being dimwitted also being left out on the "final ultimate solution" scenario.

Also, if the dragons did know of Dan as Destania's son, and only thought he died during his encounter with Regina or a similar incident... But the theory that they never knew Regina Destania reproduced is sounding more solid. I doubt they would be so sloppy as to not verify the son of one they hunted was dead,

(Thanks, I R dumb!)
Remember the past.
Prepare for the future.
Live in the present.

inuhanyo

Quote from: jimsan on February 19, 2009, 12:05:08 AM
Also, if the dragons did know of Dan as Destania's son, and only thought he died during his encounter with Regina or a similar incident... But the theory that they never knew ReginaDestinia reproduced is sounding more solid. I doubt they would be so sloppy as to not verify the son of one they hunted was dead,
And Bigg's facetious invitation was worded "... don't know you exist..." rather than "... think you are dead...".  Given the circumstances, not an ironclad piece of evidence, but suggestive.