02/16/09 [DMFA #973] - piddle self and run

Started by Lisky, February 15, 2009, 10:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Batratblue on February 16, 2009, 06:17:52 PM
Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 15, 2009, 11:39:00 PM
Killing is too addicting, regardless of who your victim is--once you've crossed the line and taken another life, it becomes like a drug, and you have to do it again.

And again.

And again.

And eventually you'll come to lower your standards for who can die and who must live, just so that you can have prey....

O_o

It never ceases to amaze me how much this sort of thinking propagates among the sheeple. If you're talking from personal experience, you're a homocidal maniac and I'm pleased to inform you that not everyone who has ever taken a life has reacted to it this way. If you're talking from what you know about a friend...Keep an eye on that friend.

People react to it differently. Most of the people I know aren't exactly happy about it having happened, but in a 'them or you' situation, well, they are happy to be alive and back with their families, and they did what they were trained to do.

Stereotyping all people who have killed as serial killing maniacs is somewhat unfortunate. No matter what nation you live in, odds are that some of the protection, rights and freedoms you enjoy owe their existence to 'killers'.

It isn't a drug.

It isn't addicting.

:giggle

Relax, I'm not talking from personal experience at all--neither myself nor anyone I know.  I was merely attempting to explain that trope for someone who had never understood it.

At any rate, I wasn't referring to "them or you" self-defense situations at all.  There it might be understandable, but I was talking about more cold-blooded acts.

And no, I'm not stereotyping, and I'm well aware that I owe my standard of life to killers--soldiers are killers no matter how much you try to paint them as heroes--but I don't have to be happy about that, do I?

But how can you say it's not a drug and it's not addicting if you don't know firsthand?

Anyway, back on-topic....

Speaking of "piddle," I seem to recall that the reason Dan left is because HE was looking for a bathroom....

<.<

>.>

Hope this doesn't come back to bite him....

Anri

Quote from: Naldru on February 16, 2009, 06:27:01 PM
Regina feels that it is unfair for adventurers to go after demons just because they kill beings.  She hears about Daniel Ti'Fiona, the son of an adventurer and a succubus, and decides that to do something to punish adventurers.  (Dan may be just starting studies for being an adventurer at this time.)  She waits until Edward and Destania are both away from the inn.  She then befriends Dan, claiming such lines as the following:  "Hey, your father married a creature.  We aren't all bad."

Number of people who knew Destania was a succubus (that also knew where she was) probably stood at 3. Herself, Edward and Alexsi (though she may not have at this point).

Big hole. :3

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tikki on February 16, 2009, 07:02:31 PM
Number of people who knew Destania was a succubus (that also knew where she was) probably stood at 3. Herself, Edward and Alexsi (though she may not have at this point).
It's probably more than that.  Dee is sufficiently powerful that she doesn't need to hide very much.

The folks at the inn who tried to kill her knew, and if 298 is accurate (and not a distortion, simplification or mis-remembering by Alexsi) she made it pretty obvious what she was during the marriage.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Corgatha Taldorthar

Just because she hides her 'Cubi ness, doesn't mean she's hiding herself off as a being. Dee could probably very easily pass for an Angel with her feather wings.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Naldru on February 16, 2009, 06:27:01 PM
Let's try some possible scenarios made from whole cloth (with probable plot holes that make it look like swiss cheese), run them up the flag pole, and see who shoots the most holes.

Regina feels that it is unfair for adventurers to go after demons just because they kill beings.  She hears about Daniel Ti'Fiona, the son of an adventurer and a succubus, and decides that to do something to punish adventurers.  (Dan may be just starting studies for being an adventurer at this time.)

Even now, let alone back then, very few know that Dan is succubus Destania's son, most would only know that he's the son of adventurer Edward and Dee (or whatever name she has been going by for most of the last 25 years, I don't think we've heard yet) Ti'Fiona. Those that might previously know Destania had a child probably don't know who the father and son are. (DP could have gotten something typically vague from Phoenix Oracles to know what little he does.)

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Alberto Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas: Dance of the outlaw cowboy (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Lucheek

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 16, 2009, 04:21:04 PM
There are a few other shots of Regina with her mouth open in the kitchen, and no evidence of a piercing. Best shot I could find.

Edit. Something occured to me while I was digging. Has anyone else noticed that the color of the fur on patches of Regina's face seem to change color from white to off white to a faint pink, or is that just me?
I noticed that too. It's the same with Lorenda. It seems when you look at her head-on, it's white, but a side view is pink. I'm not really sure about that, I think it may just be an artistic choice.

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 16, 2009, 01:54:55 PM
Quote from: Madmann135 on February 16, 2009, 01:32:40 PM
Wing tentacles work on the subconscious level. 
Almost.  They do initially, but they can also be driven consciously.  If you create more than about 4, you have to control them consciously and it takes more effort and concentration the more you create.
The wing-tentacles stroking Matilda, or fetching the filters were unconscious.  His summoning them and turning them into shadow-puppets was voluntary.  The question is, are the wing tentacles we're seeing in this strip summoned and controlled voluntarily?  I suspect so, given Dan's "Among other things." line.

Wait wait wait what? When did Dan's wings stroke Matilda?

Also- to the people who think that Regina has a tongue-peircing, the little dot in the mouth is something Amber has done before. It's like the ... flap thing at the back of the throat. I remember Amber drew the dot as a heart once...

the point I'm trying to make is I'm pretty sure she doesn't.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lucheek on February 16, 2009, 07:34:05 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 16, 2009, 01:54:55 PM
The wing-tentacles stroking Matilda, or fetching the filters were unconscious.

Wait wait wait what? When did Dan's wings stroke Matilda?

Strip 411, and actually it's Matilda stroking them, but the main point still stands.

Turnsky

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Turnsky/Sketches/D8wallpaperwip.jpg

newer version i'm working on, if folks can do me a favor and collate all the comics that have amber's characters going "D8" in (abel's story included) i'd appreciate it, thanks.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Feign

I tried five times to log onto the forum, found out I wasn't registered here, registered, and now I'm posting and still I can't stop laughing from Regina's face in the fifth panel.

Heh, holy crap, wow...

...hehehehe...

inuhanyo

Quote from: Lucheek on February 16, 2009, 07:34:05 PM
Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 16, 2009, 04:21:04 PM
There are a few other shots of Regina with her mouth open in the kitchen, and no evidence of a piercing. Best shot I could find.

Edit. Something occurred to me while I was digging. Has anyone else noticed that the color of the fur on patches of Regina's face seem to change color from white to off white to a faint pink, or is that just me?
I noticed that too. It's the same with Lorenda. It seems when you look at her head-on, it's white, but a side view is pink. I'm not really sure about that, I think it may just be an artistic choice.
If you look at Dan (panel 4, or strip 970) you'll notice areas of darker color fur represending shadowed regions.  I think the off-white and pink are the same for Regina and Lorenda, lightly shadowed areas.

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 16, 2009, 07:06:20 PM
Quote from: Tikki on February 16, 2009, 07:02:31 PM
It's probably more than that.  Dee is sufficiently powerful that she doesn't need to hide very much.

The folks at the inn who tried to kill her knew, and if 298 is accurate (and not a distortion, simplification or misremembering by Alexsi) she made it pretty obvious what she was during the marriage.
Destinia didn't change her name or hide her headwings until after Dan was born.  No point in hiding her backwings, since Dan was born with them.  So, It wasn't exactly a secret, but it wasn't advertised either.  As the years went by, it was mostly not mentioned and semi-forgotten.

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on February 16, 2009, 06:21:37 PM
Quote from: Madmann135 on February 16, 2009, 01:32:40 PM
I don't think Dan will kill Regina but instead scare her and beat the living day lights out of her.

Agreed.  I think he's going to give Regina payback with a healthy dose of interest for the harm she did to Dan years back, but draw the line at killing her (or maybe Kria or Lorenda will intervene.)  The conversation from comics 935 and 936 are probably going to become very relevant very soon.
Yes, Fi could stop while trying to cheerlead for him, Kria could invoke the rules of hospitality or the negotiation for not bringing DP back, Lorenda because Regina is family (though I suspect Lorenda's mouth would be dry).  We've never seen Dan like this before, not even when he was fighting DP.

Given that Regina is a psycho killer, the only way Dan can walk away and leave her not sliced lunchmeat, is to strike such fear into her that leaves her terrified of ever offending him again.  She should be having nightmares about it for days afterward.

Observation: Despite thinking of him as a Being, Regina is afraid to face Dan without a weapon.  Despite her demonic power to make her skin "razor sharp and diamond hard".  Of course, look at how much good that did Dark Pegasus, with 760 years of experience.  But Regina's referring to Dan as "that adventurer's son" in her thoughts, makes me think she doesn't really know him by name, and so doesn't realize that he is, as Kria put it, "the fellow who has been killing Aliph". 

Which means she's going only by her personal experience.  Which must have not gone well for her.  Instead of responding to his recognition with something like "Yeah, me. and if you weren't my aunt's guest we'd go another round right here.", she panicked, hit him with the serving tray (apparently as hard as she could) and ran. Not follow up her attack, fled.   Her expression in panel one is undeniably one of fear, supported by the fact that she's not willing to face him without a weapon.  And she doesn't know he doesn't need one, she thinks he's unarmed.

In panel two, she's trying to build up her courage, talk up her morale. "Should be easy. I nearly pulped him last time we fought."  Yeah, exaggeration, I'm thinking.  If Regina did so well against Dan last time then why is Regina the one fleeing in fear.  I don't doubt that Dan took some hits during that fight, but Regina is the one looking for a weapon before she faces her opponent, not Dan.

Then in panel three, Dan tears her build up to pieces.  I noticed that his blows against the column knocked off chips from the stone.  Dan obviously remembered about making wing tenderals hard and sharp, or he's doing it instinctively

And then Panel four.  Dan doing the full Cubi, with the Voice of Doom added. And he knows what you were thinking, Regina! As scared as Regina was before, this had to crank it up several levels.  If this were a horror run, she'd be losing sanity points here.  Come to think of it, this strip and the prior one do have a bit of horror flavor.  With the very enjoyable inversion that the "fleeing victim" is the psycho killer and the "hunting monster" is the good guy.

Then there is panel five.  In a Warner Brothers cartoon, this is where Daffy Duck would plaintively say: "Mother."

Made of Win.

M

Quote from: Turnsky on February 16, 2009, 07:39:34 PM

newer version i'm working on, if folks can do me a favor and collate all the comics that have amber's characters going "D8" in (abel's story included) i'd appreciate it, thanks.

Do you want general shock faces, or ones where they're chibi-ish like in the current comic?

jimsan

Here's a thought,
Do you think Regina aided in the plot to kidnap Dans' father? (During the whole kill his friends thing)
That could be why he's so angry!
:kruger
Remember the past.
Prepare for the future.
Live in the present.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: jimsan on February 16, 2009, 10:34:28 PM
Here's a thought,
Do you think Regina aided in the plot to kidnap Dans' father? (During the whole kill his friends thing)

I doubt it.

This doubt isn't based on anything in the comic strip or by any statement of Amber's, but we do know that Dragons hold Edward and that Dee is in some super subtle, cloak and dagger campaign against them, and that the Dragons are taking similar measures against her (and possibly all of the Cyra clan). Whoever the ultimate culprit is, they seem ruthless, professional, subtle, and intelligent. I can't see them using a loose cannon like Regina for anything more than a tool of convienence, to possibly make a distraction or something.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Turnsky

Quote from: Marmonstein on February 16, 2009, 10:10:34 PM

Do you want general shock faces, or ones where they're chibi-ish like in the current comic?

Chibi-ish fits the theme, so yes =3

jimsan

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 16, 2009, 10:43:45 PM
Here's a thought,

I doubt it.

This doubt isn't based on anything in the comic strip or by any statement of Amber's, but we do know that Dragons hold Edward and that Dee is in some super subtle, cloak and dagger campaign against them, and that the Dragons are taking similar measures against her (and possibly all of the Cyra clan). Whoever the ultimate culprit is, they seem ruthless, professional, subtle, and intelligent. I can't see them using a loose cannon like Regina for anything more than a tool of convienence, to possibly make a distraction or something.

That's pretty much my thinking (they used her as a distraction). It just may be Regina's face is one of the few Dan can associate to the incident.
Then again the timing feels a little off, what with adventurer school, but it;s the best I can come up with.
Remember the past.
Prepare for the future.
Live in the present.

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 16, 2009, 07:07:59 PM
Just because she hides her 'Cubi ness, doesn't mean she's hiding herself off as a being. Dee could probably very easily pass for an Angel with her feather wings.

my understanding is that she passes herself off as a man.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tyranastrasz

normal

chibi

There ya go. from present back to 546, there's the best D8 faces.

M

I went through most of the archive, post the 1 year hiatus and plus Abel Story. Some were iffy, but I think they're all mostly chibi-ish.

907 791 789 788 730 691 654 643 512 452 398 351 321 293 228 203 166 144 141 123

Abel 25 Abel 78

A couple are small, but I threw 'em in anyway in case you wanted them

inuhanyo

Quote from: jimsan on February 16, 2009, 11:15:22 PM
Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 16, 2009, 10:43:45 PM
Here's a thought,

I doubt it.

This doubt isn't based on anything in the comic strip or by any statement of Amber's, but we do know that Dragons hold Edward and that Dee is in some super subtle, cloak and dagger campaign against them, and that the Dragons are taking similar measures against her (and possibly all of the Cyra clan). Whoever the ultimate culprit is, they seem ruthless, professional, subtle, and intelligent. I can't see them using a loose cannon like Regina for anything more than a tool of convenience, to possibly make a distraction or something.

That's pretty much my thinking (they used her as a distraction). It just may be Regina's face is one of the few Dan can associate to the incident.
Then again the timing feels a little off, what with adventurer school, but it;s the best I can come up with.
Fi understood Dan's first encounter with Dark Pegasus to be his very first adventure, and Dan didn't correct it.  Dan is 25, less 6 years is 19, which I'd think would be at least a year out of adventurer's school.  And from Biggs's comments, the dragons don't even know Dan exists.

I can see, towards the end of that "incident" with Regina, Dan getting all ferocious and focused, and cold fury, and turning the tide against Regina so badly that she fled the field.  Which would account for her current fear of him. 

jeffh4

One thing that could keep Regina from the ranks of the Undead (or at least in a single-digit number of pieces):  She knows more about Dan's father than he does.  She could offer to trade info for continued use of limbs.

Of course, we aren't up to 1000 comics yet, so there's no reason to rush into that story arc!  :)

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Marmonstein on February 16, 2009, 11:54:07 PM
I went through most of the archive, post the 1 year hiatus and plus Abel Story. Some were iffy, but I think they're all mostly chibi-ish.
*snip*

A couple are small, but I threw 'em in anyway in case you wanted them

Gah, I missed a few D:

Oh, and you missed 544

Turnsky

Distracting

Oh, that's wonderful. Do you mind at all if I use it?

Turnsky

Sukasa

...Do you mind if I edit that slightly so that my taskbar doesn't obscure all the characters?

Also, I wonder if this has any relevance to strip #637, as it certainly fits the first speech bubble there.

Turnsky

Quote from: Sukasa on February 17, 2009, 12:59:14 AM
...Do you mind if I edit that slightly so that my taskbar doesn't obscure all the characters?

Also, I wonder if this has any relevance to strip #637, as it certainly fits the first speech bubble there.

actually, i kinda did make it so the standard windows taskbar height only obscures the copyright schtuffs.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Turnsky on February 17, 2009, 12:19:41 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Turnsky/Sketches/D8wallpaperwip-1.jpg

HA! HA!
Wiggly...

>.>
It could use one more Chibi-Dan, though. Remember the time Abel was putting a spell (of transformation) on him? :3

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on February 16, 2009, 09:19:42 PM
Destinia didn't change her name or hide her headwings until after Dan was born.  No point in hiding her backwings, since Dan was born with them.  So, It wasn't exactly a secret, but it wasn't advertised either.  As the years went by, it was mostly not mentioned and semi-forgotten.
In the marriage scene, her headwings were out.   Unless it was a very private ceremony, there would have been witnesses.  Though yes, by 933 she has reverted to 'winged Being / Angel' mode.

QuoteAnd then Panel four.  Dan doing the full Cubi, with the Voice of Doom added. And he knows what you were thinking, Regina! As scared as Regina was before, this had to crank it up several levels.  If this were a horror run, she'd be losing sanity points here.  Come to think of it, this strip and the prior one do have a bit of horror flavor.  With the very enjoyable inversion that the "fleeing victim" is the psycho killer and the "hunting monster" is the good guy.

All he has to do now is say something about souls and we'll see if Demons can faint.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 17, 2009, 04:07:21 AM
All he has to do now is say something about souls and we'll see if Demons can faint.
Well, Regina is very young for a Demon anyway, so we cannot use her as a model for all Demons. :B

Batratblue

Quote from: Baal Hadad on February 16, 2009, 06:37:25 PM
But how can you say it's not a drug and it's not addicting if you don't know firsthand?

Anyway, back on-topic....

Speaking of "piddle," I seem to recall that the reason Dan left is because HE was looking for a bathroom....

<.<

>.>

Hope this doesn't come back to bite him....

*Sigh* I didn't particularly care to say that I did know firsthand.

re: Piddling

And now I can picture AngryDan lifting a finger and saying 'Hold that bladder. I'll be RIGHT back.'

(And just think! Not so very long ago we were at "No no. I should be able to go down a hallway without getting into trouble." >_>)