Shattered Innocence (OOC Thread) [M] )Closed(

Started by Noone, February 03, 2009, 02:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noone

I've wanted to start an RP for some time, though, timidness, laziness, and other things occupying my time have given me pause. I think I'm ready though... at least I hope, and I've had ideas juggling around in my head for a while now, craving release.

This RP takes place in Furrae, so there are the same beings/creatures inhabiting this RP, beings, demons, angels, cubi, etc.

On the setting of this RP:
This RP takes place in a place called Atharra. Atharra isn't a continent by itself, though it is still a large  place. Atharra is mostly populated by Beings, Cubi, Demons, and Angels. There are a few Mythos and Were mixed into civilized population but they're not a very common sight. Other creatures can be found but generally inhabit areas outside of civilized lands.

Most of the population in Atharra is spread within several small countries, Thularia, Narukh, Astarea, and Ithralia. There are some settlements that are not within these countries but are usually sparsely populated and are somewhat rare.

Thularia: Thularia is located in the far northeast. Thularia is populated entirely by beings, and is entirely intolerant of creature races. Creatures in Thularia are killed on sight, and beings that show sympathy towards creatures are not well received either. Thularia is the only country with a professional military, having a large standing fighting force that is specially trained to fight and kill creatures they encounter. Their military runs their government, a ruling council of generals handles political affairs. Thularia often sends patrol groups out of at least 10 well trained beings to keep it's lands secure, and sometimes these patrols go out into other countries to try and 'purge' creatures they find. Thularia's capital, located at the far northeast of their country, is the most heavily fortified location in Atharra, and would take a highly dedicated and powerful force to take it down. They have been pushing back on their border to Narukh since their inception, and they are active in other countries as well spreading their will.

Astarea: Astarea is one of the most developed locations in the land, both technologically and sociologically. It is by far the most diverse of the countries, and the most tolerant. The population is predominantly Beings, though there are a large population of Demons, Angels, and Cubi within. There are also a few Mythos and Were mixed into the population as well. It also has one of the most effective law enforcement systems, the Astarean Peacekeepers do an excellent job at enforcing order amongst the population. They're also active in deterring those from Narukh and Thularia from causing problems, though do so with mixed success. As a result, Astarean citizens often think of those on the outside world as nothing more than uncultured barbarians. Astarea's capital, often referred to as "The Shining City", is the largest in Atharra, with a very diverse population. Astarea is located in the southwest of Atharra.

Narukh: Narukh is by far the smallest of the countries in terms of population, and Narukh's capital can barely be called a city, it is more of a place where political units come together on occasion. In theory, a council of powerful families is supposed to rule Narukh, but in practice, no one actually listens to them unless they have the power to force everyone in the country to obey their will, which doesn't happen often. Narukh is largely populated by small clans of demons. Narukh has very little in the way of law enforcement, running on the demon philosophy of power over all else, so domestic violence is quite common compared to other locations. There is a small population of angels and cubi, though they are not usually trusted and their numbers are few. Beings tend to avoid Narukh at all costs, as they tend to be killed soon after entering. Being settlements near Narukh's territory are also tense places, as demons have a tendency to come over and start causing mayhem. Narukh is located to the northewest of Atharra.

Ithralia: Ithralia is the largest country in terms of population and territory, and has the largest concentration of it's people within cities. Ithralia is located in the eastern side of Atharra, and shares borders with Narukh to it's west, Thularia to it's northwest, and Astarea to it's southwest. Ithralia is mostly populated by beings, though there are a few creatures mixed within, however, they are not well trusted or received, but are not usually outright killed unless they actively cause problems. Ithralia isn't so much of a country as it is a set of cities and states that just happen to be geographically near each other. The general Ithralian public lives in a state of near anarchy, and attempts at unification are often met with disaster. As such, people have no one to depend on for defense save mercenary forces, adventurers, and mercenaries, etc. Crime rates are quite high, and domestic (if it can be called that) violence happens frequently. Standard of living varies throughout the place, it's usually lowest in northwestern or southeastern, but generally better in northeastern, where city-states have something approaching a stable, if rather static government. General tendency however is towards anarchy.
Thularian patrols often go through this country as well, often murdering creatures who happen to come across them. Most noteworthy is that a large concentration of Thularian soldiers inhabit Ithralia's border with Astarea, often rushing in and slaying creatures that live there, as well as preventing Astarean creatures from moving into Ithralia. Adventurers however, tend not to cross Thularians and many look up to their discipline and skill. However, the Thularians seem to have no intention on annexing Ithralian territories.

I do have a lot more information on these countries in my notes, so, I'd be open to answering questions about them. I didn't post all of it since I didn't want to cause a massive information overload to those who would be interested in playing.

The story thus far...

It's going to be a long, cold winter...
   A snowstorm raged around the Whistling Willow inn, the place providing warmth and comfort to those who come within, to stop for the night and resume their struggles the next day. The place was quiet, a calming sort of quiet, a relaxed sanctuary to contrast fierce winds on the outside. Here they stopped for the day, some went upstairs to rest, some stayed in the main room, to tend to themselves for what was to come.
   But in a flash, the relaxed mood was violated, as beams of light penetrated the Willow, and the place started to collapse upon itself, and allow the vicious storm of the exterior to come on inside. Panic ensued, but only for a moment, as blasts of energy flew across the Willow. Some were already asleep at the time, briefly awoken only to lose consciousness less than a second later. Others fell into darkness quickly, their last sight was of themselves, wounded, and the feel of the cold as their eyes failed and their nerves went numb. And after a few seconds, the Willow was silent once again, the furious winds blowing blood stained snow across the landscape.
   The next morning, an Angel who had survived the events that occurred, pulled some of those within out from under the rubble. He tended to them with what power he had, healing their wounds, and laying them down in the snowy landscape.  He closed his wings around himself, both to protect himself from the snowy weather, and to look into the clear snow, lamenting the loss of those he could not save. He paced over, looking over each of the wounded, and waited for them to arise...

Onto character creation:
I try not to be too picky, and I don't really care what specific format you use your character, as long as I can read it without making my head spin, it's probably going to be fine. There are however, some things I want, What species your character is, a biography of some sort, a physical description, a personality, what possessions they start out with, and what abilities, strengths, and weaknesses they have.
I would also like to request that players select a color (not necessarily your character's favorite color). This would be used if I need to write something in a post that only a select character would notice, like a cubi's mind reading, or special knowledge that a character might have.
On a side note, I am not going to allow people to play undead characters, I apologize for this inconvenience but some plot points about why your characters are special to the plot wouldn't make sense on an undead. Fae would also be problematic, as would godlike powerful characters. (no tri-wing cubi please!)
Oh, and your characters are supposed to be the ones arising after being healed, you start in a semi-unconscious state, waking up from the rough ordeal.

On Rules/Playing.
Really, this should be just common sense. Don't godmod, make your posts legible, and I think you'll be fine.

Active Players:
Basilisk2150--Garis Ahnasazi--Link
Corgatha Taldorthar--Kedered Aldoraethar--Link
Tipod--Bart Thom'sen--Link
Ghostwish--Zanfib Black--Link
wuffnpuff--Chance Laxia--Link
Meany--Orenio Hatuk--Link
Ketchup-Crumbles--Pheobe Luscinia--Link
Shachza--Toalacuzlotlixao--Link

Lisky

Garis Ahnasazi
German Shepherd/Wolf incubus
height: 6 foot 2 inches+ 18 foot wingspan
weight: 200 pounds

Appearance: Black overcoat, with a silver undercoat, his back and tail are jet black, his face is black on top, with silver across his throat, under his eyes, and across his cheeks... the black seems to give an almost raccoon mask appearance across his eyes. (look at my avatar for an idea of the face and colors) his eye's are gray, and appear very catlike.
He's thin and muscular, with very predatory lines in both his head and body.  His wings are large and feathered, matching his fur patterns... His hands are very human, though clawed, and his feet are padded, and therefore he never wears shoes. His clan symbol is a snake crawling up a scythe, similar to a healers symbol, though far more sinister, it is located on inside of his left forearm, it is bright red, and difficult to hide.  His emotions tastes are confusion and pain, and when he's hungry, he has no problems getting what he wants.

He uses magic as more of a distraction than actual combat skills knowing some basic fire, ice, and storm (Wind and Lightning) based spells. He prefers to shapes his wings into bladed or pointed weapons, and the only physical weapon he carries is a long, triangular dagger, in a sheath across his back... He fights fast, and vicious, wearing no armor, and using the knife defensively.  The bladed tentacles he uses are no stronger or sharper than a standard steel longsword, but they allow him to attack from several directions at once, making him a very dangerous adversary in 1 on 1, or it allows Garis to fight several opponents at once.  His largest limitation is that the concentration required to create and maintain the blades allows him to only make and control 2 bladed tentacles at a time.  Pointy weaponed tentacles are easier, he can create and control 4 of them.

Among his other skills, he's naturally stealthy, especially at night due to his dark fur, despite his canine features, his eye's seem more feline than anything else, adding to his night hunting abilities. he's intuitive, and picks up on the basic working of things fairly easily.  His easy going nature makes him somewhat charismatic and easy to get along with, but because it's the way he acts naturally, it makes him more or less oblivious to it.  When he gets time, he does enjoy both cooking and reading, but because food is optional and not mandatory, it makes cooking an even rarer treat for him when he does cook.  As for books, when he can find them, he enjoys them, but for an adventurer, they are usually a rare, and expensive luxury.

For clothing he usually just wears a pair of black, baggy, cotton pants.  Though for more formal occasions he's been seen in a black tunic with forest green trim and matching pants.

Relatively young by cubi standards,  He has a tendency to be reckless, arrogant, and unpredictable... Having a lighter personality, he is a bit of a joker, and almost always easy to get along with.  Depending on his whim, he may or may not have his head wings exposed.  Not driven by greed, if he goes on an adventure, it's usually because it sounds like it's going to either be exciting or fun.

He has a tendency to be a bit of a showoff, and enjoys hanging out in pubs and inns.  He has what many would describe as ADD with women, though that would be putting it lightly....  To those who know him, what he does and how he acts can best be described as a leaf on the wind.

Possessions in list form: Pants, a small pack with his tunic and formal pants,  a water bladder, and his triangular dagger in it's sheath
Green

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Corgatha Taldorthar

before I got started, I wanted to ask what sort of technology level was available. I'm assuming it's a usual D&D type fantasy late middle ages early Renaissance type system. If it isn't, I might want to make a few modifications to my character.

Name : Kedered, scion of House Aldoraethar.

Species Jaguar/Incubus.

Physical description.  Five foot eleven inches tall, slight build, although not to the point of emaciation. Both sets of wings are leathery, and covered with the same sort of spot pattern that his main body is. His back wings stretch out to slightly more than arms length (about eight feet) His headwings, when visible, are roughly shoulder width. He has no discernable cephalic hair. His eyes are a brilliant emerald green, with large irises. He has large hands. All of this is his base form. He is quite adept at shapeshifting and can assume almost any vaguely humanoid form. He likes to dress expensively, in silk if he can get it. He prefers dark colors, and uses magic to keep his clothes clean. His clan symbol looks like a blue pierced circle, and is in the palm of his right hand. He usually claims it is a tattoo or wears gloves to hide it.

Personality. Confident bordering on arrogance, cold and aristocratic in demeanor, a very very good poker face and poker mind, generous to a fault, and obsessively protective towards his friends and followers. He irrationally loathes all Thularians and will go out of his way to inconvenience the nation. He has a very, very long memory, and always repays a debt. (This goes both ways. He won't rest until he gets even with someone who slighted him) He is usually solemn and serious, almost grave, although he cracks the occasional joke as a means to break ice. He almost never laughs. He looks down slightly on non-'cubi, and more so on beings, although not enough to keep himself from dealing with them. He finds the necessity of eating and sleeping distasteful, and if travelling with people who know he is a 'cubi, will dispense with them altogether.

History. The Aldoraethar family was once high nobility in the lands that are now Thularia. After the Beings took over the nation, his ancestors were evicted, and spent most of their time hanging around the borders of the old empire, trying to raise the force needed to retake their ancestral home. Never quite getting it, they managed to squeak by as teachers of magic and managers of the estates of others. Kedered is the last heir of the line, his father and younger brother being killed in a raid while living in Ithralia. He has trained in all the arts that his father assumed a nobleman should know, rhetoric, mathematics, leadership,  magic, and some basic fighting ability.

After the attack, he served a few stints in mercenary bands, generally taking a pay cut for the promise of a fight inside Thularia, although their discipline meant that few raids succeeded. One day found him in the Whistling Willow inn, trying to recruit a few Angels or demons to take the fight to Thularia once again.

Abilities.  Kedered's magical training is broad but a bit shallow. He can cast a wide array of basic spells, from creating flaming weapons to physical enhancements to strength and speed, to magically influencing people he talks to into thinking he's more handsome and intelligent than he actually is. The sword spell he is especially adept with, and can cast it as quickly as one could draw a steel blade from a hip scabbard. He has trouble projecting magical energy far from his own body however, and he's incapable of sending a spell more than about 15 feet from his hands. His magic is innate and largely internal, and he rarely needs to vocalize his spells, although concentration is always necessary and hand motions usually so. He is a reasonable swordfighter and bowshot, about what one would expect from a career soldier.  His emotional affinity is for awe in specific, fear in a more general sense.

Possessions. Longbow, thirty arrows, slung across his shoulders. A jeweled dagger, tucked into his boot. A backpack with a bedroll, some food, water, and a change of clothes. Flint and steel in a belt pouch, along with a reasonably high amount of cash, kept in silver and small gemstones. (it should be enough to pay for personal upkeep for about 4 months, but I don't know your currency systems) A blue silk shirt, with cuts for his wings in the back, and black, tight form fitting pants, and some plain underwear. (Worn)

EDIT- Color Blue

EDIT #2, added a tiny twinge to the personality and the location of his clan symbol.

Edit#3 After slapping my forehead, I realized I didn't have the emotional affinity. It's  there now, under ability.

Edit#4, changed the personality line about being quick to anger. The more I play him, the more I realize how stiff he is.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Noone

2 Already, that's a good sign I take it. :)

Oookay,

Basilisk2150: Character approved, welcome aboard.

Corgatha Taldorthar: Character approved, though... could you select a color? Just in case I need to say something in a post that only your character would notice (like something about Thularians,.. They're going to be one of the major antagonists in this RP and I might end up using it often).

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 03, 2009, 05:05:08 PM
before I got started, I wanted to ask what sort of technology level was available. I'm assuming it's a usual D&D type fantasy late middle ages early Renaissance type system. If it isn't, I might want to make a few modifications to my character.
Well, technology has slight differences depending on the location, though I intended for the level of technology to be at least similar to DMFA canon, for weapons, that largely means swords and bows, aka leave the M16 at home. For civilian technology, I figure that most of it is a little sub-modern, phones exist, as do computers, refridgerators, standard bathrooms, (I struggle to come up with proper reasoning for that :/), though I'm probably going to restrict things like cell-phones, and probably vehicles as well. Generally, weapons technology is a little more advanced in Thularia, and Astarea has slightly better civilian technology. I don't think the civilian tech is going to be *too* big of a deal, and I think your character's setup is fine for the setting, albeit, might want heavier clothing, this RP does take place in the winter. (Though most cubi probably have some natural resistance to extreme weather conditions.)

Tipod

Quote from: The1Kobra on February 03, 2009, 06:03:55 PM
Well, technology has slight differences depending on the location, though I intended for the level of technology to be at least similar to DMFA canon, for weapons, that largely means swords and bows, aka leave the M16 at home. For civilian technology, I figure that most of it is a little sub-modern, phones exist, as do computers, refridgerators, standard bathrooms, (I struggle to come up with proper reasoning for that :/), though I'm probably going to restrict things like cell-phones, and probably vehicles as well. Generally, weapons technology is a little more advanced in Thularia, and Astarea has slightly better civilian technology. I don't think the civilian tech is going to be *too* big of a deal, and I think your character's setup is fine for the setting, albeit, might want heavier clothing, this RP does take place in the winter. (Though most cubi probably have some natural resistance to extreme weather conditions.)

I've always been confused as to why practical technology is sub-modern while weapons technology is still stuck in the Iron Age  :B
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Lisky

... with the heavier clothing, are you talking to me, or corgatha?

as for an effective excuse about the weapons... alchemy and chemistry were shunned by the general public, especially non-magic users, and therefore the attempt to create gunpowder became stagnant.  the focus was shifted towards the 'perfection' of the weapon systems they had instead of inventing new ways to kill people, both reasonable, and logical...

taken further, if the combustion engine isn't invented, there's nothing to say that electricity hasn't been... for example, the ancient egyptians actually invented the first battery, and had they evolved to be the dominant ancient force, instead of the greeks the world would be a whole lot different...  and that's all just based on human history in the real world...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Corgatha Taldorthar

If their societies are in any way modled on humans, weapon technology tends to advance and diffuse faster than almost anything else........ I remember reading old stuff about John Smith and the whole Pocahantas story. The natives were really far more interested in guns and cannons than they were in beads, trinkets and even other non-killing tools.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tipod on February 03, 2009, 06:18:08 PM
I've always been confused as to why practical technology is sub-modern while weapons technology is still stuck in the Iron Age  :B

Because it makes for a better story. Narrativium, you know.

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 03, 2009, 08:17:45 PM
If their societies are in any way modled on humans, weapon technology tends to advance and diffuse faster than almost anything else........ I remember reading old stuff about John Smith and the whole Pocahantas story. The natives were really far more interested in guns and cannons than they were in beads, trinkets and even other non-killing tools.

Welcome to humanity. Sanity ratio, approaching zero. Survivability ratio, approaching one. :-/
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Noone

Quote from: Tipod on February 03, 2009, 06:18:08 PM
Quote from: The1Kobra on February 03, 2009, 06:03:55 PM
You would think this would be true, *especially* in a world with highly bloodthirsty creatures out to eat beings (and devour their souls) in their sleep, by all sense, every being in a dangerous area should have a shotgun with them at all times. Astarea is probably safer in this regard, but considering all the problems they receive from Narukh and from Thularians...
Yeah, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me either. :/
But... I'll live. Some of the technological restrictions are used for balancing issues, especially in the demons vs beings area, particularly in the case of Thularians. Soldiers with machine guns are a force to be reckoned with and I doubt that young and highly unstable demons would be that much of an issue if they could have their faces blown off by any random being. Their advantage is supposed to be better organization, discipline, and clout, which goes against the raw natural power that creatures have.
Oh, on the warm clothing, I was actually referring to Corgatha, though... reading it over I guess it's alright, especially if Cubi (as Abel put it), are element resistant. I would assume this would confer some resistance to the cold weather, and I suppose if all else fails they could just thicken their fur.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Kedered is too proud anyway. Unless it's actually dangerous, he'd rather shiver than get a warmer cloak than what he thinks is necessary. But I assume he'd be able to warm himself with a spell or just give himself thicker fur.

Lisky

the mental image i had with your comment about the  thickening of the fur is hilarious... I can totally see garis just poof up, going from his lean wolfish self, to something more like a sheep dog or a shiatsu... with people watching... he just looks over and says "what?!... it's effing cold out here"

techmaster-glitch

Hmm... I may be interested in this RP. If so, I'll probably be using either Karazkt or the Mechangel.

Azlan

My submission for this little endeavor:

Name: Tyrian XuLedo
Species: Fox Angel

Physical Description: Very vibrant, snowy white fur and feathered wings, with black markings (stripe from forehead to nose, tail tip, tops of ears, tips of wing feathers, and underside of paws). He has short, grayish-white hair and bright, intense violet eyes which glow in the dark. His physical frame is slightly below average.  He stands 1.778 meters (5ft 10in) in height.

Attire: Tyrian wears functional over fashionable.  He is currently wearing a heavy black shirt (short sleeves), tough, baggy cobalt blue cotton pants, and thick black long coat with gold piping that splits up the back to accommodate his tail (three decorative gold bands stripe across where the split ends).  He tends to roll up the coat to his elbows.  His shirt and coat easily accommodate his wings, and if the wings are concealed, the slits also disappear.

Background: Tyrian was born to a wealthy and noble family.  Being of such a station normally requires one devote his efforts to becoming a Knight and a warrior.  He scoffed at such boring pursuits and instead buried his head in books and arcane tomes.  He sought acceptance to the Academy of Sorcery, and after much practical and theoretical tests, he was granted scholarship.  His family begrudgingly allowed his choice of path, insisting that he also learn the ways of administration and governing. 

Tyrian is known to suffer from wanderlust and a need for what can only be described as adventure.  The many years he was forced to devote to the study of the Arcane, compounded his occasional bouts upon itself.  After his graduation, he taught briefly, both privately and at the Academy.  His need to get out into the world prevented him from settling down, forming long-term relationships or acquiescing to his father's arranged marriages.   

Abilities: Tyrian is a highly trained sorcerer and Elemental Arcanist.  He himself is highly magical and in possession of an unusually strong connection to magical energies.  He casts magic from all traditional western elements (Earth, Air, Fire, and Water) and any combination of the four.  His mastery makes him a creature of the elements, allowing him to feed off its energy, resist its effects, and transform partially into an elemental entity. 

His focus on the elements has lead to the disuse of his natural Angel Light magic.  He still possesses it, but it is very basic and he won't likely employ it. 

Though he was trained in the use of martial weapons, he was only really any good with Staves and Short bladed swords.  He is equally at home with using either hand, and as such, he typically dual wields short swords.  Despite this, he is only an average weapon combatant.

His arcane training has disciplined his thoughts and forced his mind to operate on the arcane language itself.  His mind is a maze of magical formulae, wards, and theorems.  This rather unique mental format makes his mind difficult to read, understand, or affect with mental abilities.

Possessions: Clothes (two full sets plus what he currently has on).  Light mesh armor typically worn under clothes.  Dual, single-edged, slightly curved short bladed swords (equivalent to a wakizashi or sabre).  Elemental Amulet – this object is a strong magical implement that acts as a focus and nexus for the elemental channeling he performs.  Travelling pack.  Bedroll.  Food rations (though he need not eat anymore).  Small pouch with a reasonable amount of money (1 year of personal upkeep).  Small Alchemy kit.  Small Healers kit.  Finely crafted ashen-gray, Rowan Staff topped by a scintillating gemstone of unknown type (unknown to all but him and earth elemental based creatures).

Color: Red   

*He will live nearly ten times his average life span due to his form being infused with elemental energies.

Edit: I forgot the staff!  Here I say he can use staves and I forgot to place it in his possessions. 
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Lisky

soo, we've got myself as the sort of hit and run/assassin style character, azzy as the mage, and corgatha as the sort of tank/brawler/multipurpose fighter

interesting group so far...

Azlan

Quote from: Basilisk2150 on February 04, 2009, 04:45:31 PM
soo, we've got myself as the sort of hit and run/assassin style character, azzy as the mage, and corgatha as the sort of tank/brawler/multipurpose fighter

interesting group so far...

I can fight too... somewhat... he's a bit more like an Eldrich Warrior than a pointy hat Wizard.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Similar story here actually. Kedered's major hand to hand fighting technique is to use a flaming sword and other close range magical effects...........

Lisky

Garis' use of magic is more, throw a fireball at your face, and impale you on a spiked tentacle while your distracted... either that or if he's fighting several people at once, kill or maim as many targets as possible, so that he can then have an easier fight as he gets worn out... soo say in a 5 on one, he'll stab at 4 with the tentacles, and shoot a lightning spark at the 5th... run up, and brake the leg of the one who got hit with the spell, from there, whittle down the numbers 1 at a time...

Noone

This seems to be progressing along nicely. We're at 5 now I believe, assuming techmaster-glitch decides to play, and counting PMed interest.
I'm probably going to be busy most of today(Thursdays are usually like that for me), though I'll probably start up the (IC) thread tomorrow morning, though I probably won't have anything major happen until after sign-up week, introductions not included, of course.

Tipod

I'm in.

Name: Raffiele Thom'sen
Height: 6 feet
Weight: 189 pounds
Eye color: Cadmium red
Species: Demon, hyena

Physical description: Athletic and moderately muscled, Raffielle possesses several characters typical of his specific kin and clan: a segmented, prehensile tail, beastlegged, two leathery wings with a 12 foot span, and flesh as dark as pure pitch. When viewed from a distance, his form almost resembles a shadow given depth, but up close, he appears rough and leathery. His body also lacks any facial features aside from the eyes and (occasionally) mouth.

Backstory: The Thom'sen lineage is an extended family of demons descending from a single, obscure figure known simply as The Great Progenitor, a demon cursed for murdering fellow clan members and voraciously consuming their flesh and bones. With the stigma of being outcasts and cannibals, they took to living underground and in isolated settlements on the fringes of Narukh.

As a Thom'sen Fury, Raffiele has seen much in the way of combat over the years and has served as both a raider and protector, keeping the more intelligent and civic-minded half of his kin (known colloquially as Scribes) from falling to would-be assassins in Narukh. In his decades as a bodyguard, he has learned much of the local norms and political climate, can reliably guess the consequences of a given policy or action, and is only mystified by the densest of bureaucratic institutions.

Unlike most Furies in his family, Raffiele stepped down from a life of wanton destruction and family servitude to become a private enforcer in the smaller creature towns of Astarea. While rolling through a being village on the fringe of Ithralia and scalping every man in sight was a fun hobby after adolescence, he felt it lacked challenge; having standoffs with raiding Thularians, on the other hand, proved both enjoyable and fulfilling.

Personality: Though undisciplined, Raffiele is a particularly "straight" demon and will dispense with formalities in a curt and serious manner. He harbors no particular ill-will towards any species or notions of vengeance, but tends to avoid any discussion on the subject. Earning his ire isn't difficult, but it certainly isn't something that happens by accident.

Abilities: Raffiele has a particular gift for regeneration and thick skin, allowing him to endure heavy blows and recover from broken/dismembered limbs much more quickly than other creatures. His knack for close-quarters assault make him a natural giver and taker of damage, and few people of similar strength can withstand his zealous shredding for long.

However, he is far from immortal. Though physically endowed, Raffiele is mystically stunted and has no real defense against the magic arts other than "be hit and hope to tough it out." Even his physical hardiness has its limits, as a Thom'sen is instantly dispatched with a headshot or decapitation from any sharp or shooty weapon.

Possessions: Old, tattered cloth robes and scarf. Pipe tomahawk and hunting knife. Haversack. Flint and tinder. Assorted silver and gold stamped coins.

Color: Yellow

Noone

IC thread is up, your characters are free to wake up whenever.
Though..., I would imagine your characters might not be fully coherent after they do so.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Kobra, what ddoes this Angel you mention look like?

Noone

You'll get a good look at him in my next post.
Edit: I'm terrible terrible terrible terrible with physical descriptions. :/, might take a bit of time.

Noone

Well, now that everyone who has a character is up, do you think I should advance to the next plot point? Sign-up week is still open, and of course, it is easiest on my end anyways to have characters join up at the Willow, and as far as unconscious characters go, Kassin wouldn't leave until everyone was up and well. I of course would likely leave this open beyond the sign up week, but that might come with delays in fitting characters in on the storyline and I don't want to have that happen. On the other end, that doesn't mean I can't fit in new characters, and standing around a wrecked inn with nothing happening might get boring at least somewhat quickly.

Thoughts RPers?

Azlan

We can move on at everyone's leisure I think.

Lisky

Tipod

Corgatha Taldorthar

Somber

There's another reason why "mundane" technology is so developed and "weapon" technology isn't.  Creatures likely see the former as harmless, while some one persuing the latter is likely to find their soul stolen, eaten, and their body turned into a lamp.  Hense Jyrras' comment "Of course this one isn't for farming... it's for mining!"  Creatures likely find things like electricity, the printing press, and what not as largely harmless.  Heck, if it allows more beings, some creatures might well invest in such technologies.  After all, it increases the food source.  However, things like guns, tanks, and cannons are far more likely to draw the ire of Creatures.  Hense why Lorenda would be so upset with Jyrras inventing weapons that would threaten demons like her.  Beings have swords and spells to kill each other... why would they need things like a gatling gun or cannon too?  So the arc of innovation, rather than progressing in cycles of war and peace, likely follows the arc of "Don't piss off the creatures."

Noone

Quote from: Somber on February 08, 2009, 11:16:57 AM
There's another reason why "mundane" technology is so developed and "weapon" technology isn't.  Creatures likely see the former as harmless, while some one persuing the latter is likely to find their soul stolen, eaten, and their body turned into a lamp.  Hense Jyrras' comment "Of course this one isn't for farming... it's for mining!"  Creatures likely find things like electricity, the printing press, and what not as largely harmless.  Heck, if it allows more beings, some creatures might well invest in such technologies.  After all, it increases the food source.  However, things like guns, tanks, and cannons are far more likely to draw the ire of Creatures.  Hense why Lorenda would be so upset with Jyrras inventing weapons that would threaten demons like her.  Beings have swords and spells to kill each other... why would they need things like a gatling gun or cannon too?  So the arc of innovation, rather than progressing in cycles of war and peace, likely follows the arc of "Don't piss off the creatures."
Actually, mundane technology can be even more deadly than weaponry will ever be. Telephones, computers, and other tools of communication. A real life example of this is the Franco-Prussian war, where French rifles could easily out-range their opponent's weaponry and were far more powerful, yet, the improved communications, logistics, combined with professional military officers, easily managed to beat forces with superior arms. Direct confrontations are only one part of war, and it's important not to underestimate everything else that goes into one.

And of course, it even makes less sense in this world, especially when you consider Thularia, a place which is in an active state of war against every creature in Atharra. Since they've been fighting creatures for about 100 years (I didn't specify that, but anyways), one would figure they would at least have some advances as far as guns go. Yet, I didn't give it to them, partly because I wanted a field where raw-power met organization and logistical efficiency. Realistically, they would have developed guns while ago, especially if they have access to electricity, phones, etc.

Even if Thularia didn't exist, and like states didn't either, it still wouldn't make sense. Beings would still be in a threatened position in most cases. And that's another thing, creatures tend not to organize well, and I doubt that they could stop every Being from attempting to create weaponry that would help even the playing field. Even if Beings were actively trying to overthrow them, I would think, understanding Demon psychology, that they would be too busy with internal struggles and trying to feed their own ego-bubbles to actually pose a threat. I suppose a few creatures could try independently to stop them, but I assume that if Beings are putting effort into advanced weapons research (aka guns), that they would have some safeguards to try and deter random creatures from causing problems.

About the only place I could see this being realistic is in Astarea, where creatures and Beings live in relative harmony. Problems still exist, as to be expected, and not entirely from hostile outside forces either. Still, one would assume, since they are the most advanced, to have such things, if not for Being peacekeepers to help deter troublemakers.

Lisky

If alchemy, and chemistry were taboo, even to non-magic users, it explains a lot more than you'd expect... because without them, gunpowder would have been invented through experimentation... so yea, no gunpowder, no guns, no guns, no real worries... and if all the lands distrust to disdains those who claim to be chemists and alchemists it means that the art of making gunpowder never came about... so yea, you can have something like

"gunpowder was invented, but quickly made more or less useless as magic users would blow it up whenever stockpiled... and over the years, the art of making it was lost as chemistry and alchemy became taboo professions... "