[Music] Tapewolf - Three Little Pigs LP

Started by Tapewolf, April 01, 2009, 07:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

At long last, my somewhat-overdue fifth progressive rock album, Three Little Pigs - A Tale of Vengeance.  As before, most of the tracks were previously published in my thread, albeit in different versions.  In most cases, the ones I now present are substantially better than the earlier demos.

Since my main site is eating up a lot of bandwidth simply by existing, I've put the MP3 files onto a mirror site, at least for now.  If possible, try to use the Jamendo bittorrent thing when it becomes available.

Here is the link:  http://www.dougtheeagle.com/tlpatov.htm

The cover art was done by Keaton (it's fairly distinctive), and I have Turnsky to thank for the new logo.  There's also some Ren art from Project Future on the inlay.

Guest vocals include James Rolls as Dan on "The Death of a Thousand Splices", Jairus as Bill Clinton and Tezkat as the news anchorman.  Mastering was done by Alex Balzama at Swift Audio Solutions, London.

A PDF version of the cover with full lyrics and liner notes can be found in the link above.

The bulk of the album, the first 'side' is a concept piece about the children's story.  Basically I started out with the premise of "Why might the wolf have a good reason to break into the house?" and the result was a set of songs that turn the story on its head.  The track titles were shamelessly inspired by Roger Glover's 'Elements' album.

In some ways I'm a little unnerved by it... the resulting suite is probably one of the darkest pieces of music I've put together and the flipside of the album doesn't really balance it properly.  I've made a vow that the next album will be happier.

I think one of my favourites on this album is "The next, a pig on fire".  This started out from a sample of Bill Clinton's infamous "I have sinned," speech, later replaced for copyright reasons.  It took some time for me to find a suitable replacement voice, but I have Jairus to thank for that.  Thanks also go out to Tezkat for his newsreading on the same track.

As usual we have a DMFA-inspired song, this time 'The Dark Price of Eternal Youth', which deals with the quandry any incubus or succubus is likely to face, whether to slowly age and die, or prolong your already generous lifespan by stealing the souls of others.  This is a central theme in my webcomic 'Project Future', from which the illustrative picture of Jakob is taken.  Thanks Ren, for all you've done to make it possible.

All tracks were recorded on 8-track tape at 15ips except 3, 5 & 8, which were  recorded 16­track using two synced tape machines.

http://www.dougtheeagle.com

EDIT:

Should be available on Jamendo now:  http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/43116

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Fibre

I've been eagerly waiting for your release, unfortunately I missed the announcement originally. Anyway, I just listened through it, and as usual it is excellent! My only concern would be what seems to me like slightly excessive repetition of "I have sinned" in #3; after a while it sort of sounds kind of odd to me. But that's very minor. Also, I tried downloading #5 several times from your site but could only get what seemed to be an incomplete copy, the first 1,219,216 bytes.

Much thanks for sharing this album (and your others), Tapewolf!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Fibre on April 03, 2009, 08:25:15 PM
I've been eagerly waiting for your release, unfortunately I missed the announcement originally. Anyway, I just listened through it, and as usual it is excellent! My only concern would be what seems to me like slightly excessive repetition of "I have sinned" in #3; after a while it sort of sounds kind of odd to me.
Yes, that can happen.  The song was about 8 minutes originally, but I cut it down somewhat.  Live and learn, I guess.

QuoteBut that's very minor. Also, I tried downloading #5 several times from your site but could only get what seemed to be an incomplete copy, the first 1,219,216 bytes.
Thanks for spotting that, it should be fixed now.

QuoteMuch thanks for sharing this album (and your others), Tapewolf!
Thanks for listening.  I have a couple of new songs under development for the next album, which I will post in due course after I've fixed a couple of problems.

Lysander

Just now got around to listening, and I really like the instrumentals for the 3 little pigs story. The lyrics overall are very nice. A Pig on Fire is kinda freaky and I like that. As you typed, the music is darker than your other albums, but dark music makes me happy. Another set of great work, Tapewolf.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lysander on April 05, 2009, 12:14:14 PM
Just now got around to listening, and I really like the instrumentals for the 3 little pigs story. The lyrics overall are very nice. A Pig on Fire is kinda freaky and I like that.

Thanks.  'Pig on fire' was probably one of the most ambitious tracks on the album, and it was about that point that the whole concept really fell into place.  The tracks were written in roughly this order:

1. Three little pigs/prologue
2. Overture
3. The next, a pig on fire
4. First pig's laid in clay
6. The wolf's gone with the wind
5. The third pig's watery grave

I have mixed feelings about the First Pig.  It had a lot of tricks in it like reverse reverb and double-tracking, but somehow it came out with something of a 'show tune' feel, particularly at the ending, which I wasn't greatly enamoured with.

QuoteAs you typed, the music is darker than your other albums, but dark music makes me happy. Another set of great work, Tapewolf.   :januscat
Well, I guess you have to have a mix to retain proper balance.