Hi, I'm new here....

Started by Baal Hadad, January 22, 2009, 03:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baal Hadad

Hello, all!

I'm a long-time lurker, first-time signer-upper.  In fact, the only real reason I haven't signed up before now is because these forums are so large that they were intimidating to me (that and I'm already on four other forums as it is).  In addition, I've been spending most of my lurking in the "Lost Lake Inn" forum, and that's likely to continue (though I won't rule out the other forums entirely), since I found these forums through the DMFA webcomic.  I did want to introduce myself here, though, since I feel an obligation to do an introductory post when you join a new forum, so you don't sneak up on the veteran forum-goers.

I just want to say that I LOVE the DMFA comic to death--and I have high standards.  I'm currently following ten active webcomics (two others that I've followed in the past are now complete, thus no longer active) and of those twelve, only two (and of the active comics, only one--this one) have been so great that I've actually obsessed over them.  This is why I wanted so much to sign up for the forums way back then--it was only the sheer size of the forums that gave me pause.  In fact, it is precisely because of the current comic that I couldn't hold back any longer (though I'll save all that for the appropriate thread).

Anyway, fragmaster may recognize me from the Slightly Damned forums (or maybe not), as I PM'd him there, having recognized him from here.  Specifically I recognized him from the DMFA Radio Project (which I applaud immensely and whose most recent update I also enjoyed--it made me laugh out loud!), and I thought he did a great job with Biggs San--better than the voice I was hearing in my head.

In sum, I'm me, and I'm not really Ba'al Hadad (it has an apostrophe but I wasn't able to use that here), and I didn't mean to have such a long introductory post, but I do tend to ramble at times.  I'm also not as uptight as I sound, I just need to meet some people and get comfortable here--I don't know if I mentioned this, but these forums are HUGE.

So that's it.  Who among you will welcome me first?

Brunhidden

i vaguely remember you from when i visited that forum, this place does not have quite so offensive residents but we do have some pretty eccentric regulars

so, in response to your question, i refuse to welcome you. i suggest bribing your way in, however
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Brunhidden on January 22, 2009, 03:28:22 AM
i vaguely remember you from when i visited that forum, this place does not have quite so offensive residents but we do have some pretty eccentric regulars

so, in response to your question, i refuse to welcome you. i suggest bribing your way in, however

Ah, I remember you (by your avatar on the SD forums if not your actual username--sorry about that), so hi again.

And I can't say your information surprises, but it is welcome and I thank you.  However, I'm averse to bribes, whether offering or receiving, but I'll bite--what would you recommend?

Jairus

Welcome... to the world of insanity!!!!!

Seriously, welcome aboard. Read and follow the rules, don't piss off the moderators, beware the Box, don't step on the octagon-shaped tiles, it's always the red wire, the password is "********," and remember that anyone who gives you advice is planning to steal your soul and add you to their army of darkness. Toodles!

PS: It's nice to meet a fellow fan of the radio show. I'm Abel on the brand new recording of strips 951 to 958. I'm also a couple of more recent random voices.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Jairus on January 22, 2009, 03:37:13 AM

Seriously, welcome aboard. Read and follow the rules, don't piss off the moderators, beware the Box, don't step on the octagon-shaped tiles, it's always the red wire, the password is "********," and remember that anyone who gives you advice is planning to steal your soul and add you to their army of darkness. Toodles!

PS: It's nice to meet a fellow fan of the radio show. I'm Abel on the brand new recording of strips 951 to 958. I'm also a couple of more recent random voices.

Hello, Jairus!  I've heard some of your work, including your Abel.  Surprisingly, though, you know which voice of yours I like the best?  Anna, the Amazon--even though it didn't even sound female.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, and I will do my best to do as you suggest.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... it's always the red wire...

All the wires are red, though. Except for the green ones we use for people with red-green colour-blindness, that is.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 22, 2009, 04:02:30 AM

All the wires are red, though. Except for the green ones we use for people with red-green colour-blindness, that is.
Clever, Doctor Boxy. Of course... that's the trick: all of the wires set off the bomb! The secret to disarm the bomb: flip the switch on the side of the bomb from "On" to "Off." Brilliant! Only a fool would think to try that... oh wait.

Anna? Seriously?

Baal Hadad

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 22, 2009, 04:02:30 AM

Which I am not.

Hello, Gen--I mean, llearch.  That's right, I've been here for a long while--but I'll try not to freak people out.

(Seriously, though, I never would have guessed that was you....)

@Jairus: Maybe it's just the one I noticed the most, since it WAS a female character with a non-female voice....  But yeah--surprisingly, I do occasionally hear someone doing a voice for an opposite-sex character and thinking it sounds okay, even fitting (even if it doesn't SOUND like the opposite sex), like with Tapewolf (I was about to call him "Merlitz"....) doing the voice of Lorenda in the most recent sound file where she was featured.

Brunhidden

also check out the bestiary, its not complete but it gives some basic info on the more prominent goofballs around here

sadly due to a string of complex computer explosions i was unable to do the abel recordings tape wanted- however i think i just got everything stable although audacity is essentially attached by duct tape at this point. give me a quiet night or two and i can ferry tape the recordings he wants..... that is, unless he prefers you

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Brunhidden on January 22, 2009, 04:16:12 AM
sadly due to a string of complex computer explosions i was unable to do the abel recordings tape wanted- however i think i just got everything stable although audacity is essentially attached by duct tape at this point. give me a quiet night or two and i can ferry tape the recordings he wants..... that is, unless he prefers you

Wait a minute--you're THAT Brun?

I am so disappointed with myself--I didn't realize that was a shorthand for anything and I didn't put two and two together that you were the most recent Abel (including in my favorite chapter, Chapter 20--that WAS you, right?  Tell me I didn't get THAT wrong....  T_T)--otherwise I would have PM'd you in the SD forums like I did with fragmaster....

Anyway, it is great to be rubbing elbows with the rich and famous, at least from my own perspective--since I enjoy the very concept of the DMFA Project.

EDIT: And thanks for the warning, I'll try to be careful (usually I'm careful to a fault, but even knowing the rules it's hard to know exactly where the boundaries lie....).

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on January 22, 2009, 04:16:12 AM
If you quit I was going to go with Jairus, but if you're still up for it, I'll gladly use your rendition as and when it's ready.

Ba'al, welcome to the forums.  I think the usual patter about reading the rules as already been done, so I'll just say "have fun".

Quote from: Baal Hadad on January 22, 2009, 04:21:01 AM
EDIT: And thanks for the warning, I'll try to be careful (usually I'm careful to a fault, but even knowing the rules it's hard to know exactly where the boundaries lie....).
Generally you get a polite hint first if you're crossing the line  :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 22, 2009, 05:04:19 AM

And then an impolite hint, if you keep going. And then we break out the banhammers.

People who fail to pay attention at that point usually end up shivering in the cold and wet out on Permaban Island, but we do try to be at least a little obvious about it, before it gets that far.

Brunhidden

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 22, 2009, 06:28:23 AM

And then an impolite hint, if you keep going. And then we break out the banhammers.

People who fail to pay attention at that point usually end up shivering in the cold and wet out on Permaban Island, but we do try to be at least a little obvious about it, before it gets that far.

yes, a whole lot more gentile then the SD forums, you get a rude warning and then banhammers fly out of everywhere

this is a land of crazy and fun, if we couldn't press the limits there would be no point, and if everyone who pressed the limits died it would be a fairly quiet place. we await your first intellectual discussion or entertainment thread for us to judge with our oversize vocabularies of satire

Baal Hadad

Thank you, Tapewolf, for the welcome!

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 22, 2009, 06:28:23 AM

That's good to know.  I've been reading over the rules and re-reading them, myself (there's so many).  I'm not particularly worried since I'm the sort who tends to follow the rules even without always knowing what they are (or even when others don't always do so and they're not always enforced--not referring specifically to forums here).  However, I can take a hint, and so if I do cross a line inadvertently and get a polite hint, that should be enough for me to understand what I'm doing wrong and to understand not to do it again.  In other words, I don't think I'll need to be further warned beyond that polite hint, if I reach that point at all.  I pay attention to those.

EDIT:

@Brun: I do ponder a number of intellectual matters as well as attempt to interpret films and novels that I enjoy, but I can't say when my first such thread will appear, nor what it will be about.

Hopefully I'll have something good soon, though--it's just that the sooner it appears, the less likely it is to be good quality.

EDIT again: I particularly am fond of Stanley Kubrick films and Stephen King novels, so if there are any threads on those, I would appreciate being directed to them.  If not, well, I suppose I could start one or two of my own.  (My only concern there, though, is the PG- and PG-13 ratings of the forums--most of those films and novels have higher ratings, so perhaps they'd be okay to discuss as long as we "kept it clean," but I don't know for sure....)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Baal Hadad on January 22, 2009, 03:50:36 PM
EDIT again: I particularly am fond of Stanley Kubrick films and Stephen King novels, so if there are any threads on those, I would appreciate being directed to them.  If not, well, I suppose I could start one or two of my own.  (My only concern there, though, is the PG- and PG-13 ratings of the forums--most of those films and novels have higher ratings, so perhaps they'd be okay to discuss as long as we "kept it clean," but I don't know for sure....)

As long as you made sure to point out that links might lead to NSFW stuff, yes. There's a certain amount of licence, but generally, we'll let people dig their own graves, as it were.

Note that some of the threads in the RP section are rated M; others are rated variously depending on the content. As long as it's not a sneaky attempt to get by without us noticing (and believe me, we are only human, so it _might_ work) we'll usually just point out the issue, or apply corrective thread topic edits. Or both. Usually both - if you don't know what you did wrong, how will you avoid doing it next time? ;-]

Mao

Baal Hadad

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 22, 2009, 05:03:43 PM
Quote from: Baal Hadad on January 22, 2009, 03:50:36 PM

As long as you made sure to point out that links might lead to NSFW stuff, yes. There's a certain amount of licence, but generally, we'll let people dig their own graves, as it were.

Note that some of the threads in the RP section are rated M; others are rated variously depending on the content. As long as it's not a sneaky attempt to get by without us noticing (and believe me, we are only human, so it _might_ work) we'll usually just point out the issue, or apply corrective thread topic edits. Or both. Usually both - if you don't know what you did wrong, how will you avoid doing it next time? ;-]

Heh--I'm presuming you refer to links that I myself might post, in which case I usually don't do that (and if it was NSFW I doubt I'd be on such a site myself anyway).  Unless you were referring to links posted by other people in the thread, in which case I would probably try to address that.

As for a sneaky attempt to get by without you noticing--I'm not that big a risk-taker and I'm not good at it anyway, so I don't think you need to worry there.  But yeah, if I do something wrong accidentally, it would help to know what it was so I can know what not to do again--it wouldn't be fair for me to be suspended/banned and not know why.  I mean, I could probably figure it out before that happened, especially if it came up more than once (not likely) but not always....

So...based on your words, can I presume such threads don't exist here yet?  (And I presume it would be in the Entertainment thread that such threads should go....)

EDIT: Also, is it possible to/how do you change the local time?  It's not telling the right time from where I am, and I don't know how/if I can fix that.

shadowterm

That sums it up pretty well, but keep in mind the password doesn't matter because your science skill isn't high enough to hack the terminals here anyway. Welcome. Oh, and try the blue wire, I dare you.
/)//w//(\

Angel

Oh, I haven't said hi to you yet. Hai! Nice to meet you, I'm Black_angel, or Blackie, or Angel, or BA, or Angie, or whatever. Have fun here and don't take smoking pastries!
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Suwako

Oh yeeez, so much conversation without me having even responded. Oh, well guess I'll just have to say hi to you now and plan taking your soul from you later, presuming you have one, otherwise I could just presumably try and make profit through you in some other way. How legitimate those means would be however I do not know at current time, which is my case is UTC+1

Mainland europe, people don't even know who is representing them!  :U

oh godz, cake and fire.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on January 22, 2009, 08:24:22 PM
EDIT: Also, is it possible to/how do you change the local time?  It's not telling the right time from where I am, and I don't know how/if I can fix that.

Go to Profile -> Look and Layout.  There should be a button to autodetect the correct time offset.  When you save the changes, you should get the correct time.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 23, 2009, 04:16:24 AM
Quote from: Baal Hadad on January 22, 2009, 08:24:22 PM

Go to Profile -> Look and Layout.  There should be a button to autodetect the correct time offset.  When you save the changes, you should get the correct time.

It works!  Thanks!

And thanks to everyone for their welcomes!

Lysander

Yeah, hey there Baal. Already an active member who seems like a good guy. This one welcomes thee as well.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Lysander on January 23, 2009, 10:20:40 AM
Yeah, hey there Baal. Already an active member who seems like a good guy. This one welcomes thee as well.   :januscat

Aw, thanks!  Somehow I tend to get that reputation wherever I go, and I don't always know if I deserve it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

When you have as many posts as I have, you're an active poster. ;-]

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 23, 2009, 02:23:40 PM
When you have as many posts as I have, you're an active poster. ;-]
Unfortunately, I'm not as active as I used to be. :-[ I must rectify this... without spamming.

Mao

I think I'll take the role of active poser.  It's easier to maintain.