Use of the word 'bitch' among Furrae

Started by Tapewolf, July 12, 2006, 05:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damien Holtz

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 12, 2006, 05:24:21 PM"cleaver bitch"
Classic.

The definition of swear words such as 'bitch' get a bit fuzzy when considering the fictional nature of Furrae, though. It's hard to tell.

bill

Hey, with a well placed new page, this may just get back on topic!

Damien Holtz

I have a feeling things might not be quite so simple. :<

Tapewolf

Quote from: Damien Holtz on July 29, 2006, 01:39:57 PM

I'll help.

Quote from: Damien Holtz on July 29, 2006, 01:27:38 PM
The definition of swear words such as 'bitch' get a bit fuzzy when considering the fictional nature of Furrae, though. It's hard to tell.

As has already been posited, my personal interpretation is that it would be calling someone an animal (i.e. non-rational), probably akin to calling someone a moron.

(I've never fully understood why calling someone a bitch is actually an insult anyway..)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Damien Holtz

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 29, 2006, 01:41:36 PM
Quote from: Damien Holtz on July 29, 2006, 01:39:57 PM

I'll help.

Quote from: Damien Holtz on July 29, 2006, 01:27:38 PM

As has already been posited, my personal interpretation is that it would be calling someone an animal (i.e. non-rational), probably akin to calling someone a moron.

I think, since DMFA is Pai-Gon rated, we won't be seeing the word 'bitch' in it anyway. It's a nice point for speculation, but there can't be any actual right or wrong.

We might see it in Abel's story though, and then probably in the real-world sense too, since more and more elements of the real world have been creeping into DMFA as of late.

(I've never fully understood why calling someone a bitch is actually an insult anyway..)

It's a mystery! But consider; why is 'f_____' considered an insult? It derives from f___, of course, but then why is 'f___' a swear word? It's just one of those linguistic quirks, and since humans are born evil just humans, insults are bound to be part of any language, and bitch works just fine if you ask me.

Edit: Okay okay, I changed it :B

Tapewolf

Quote from: Damien Holtz on July 29, 2006, 01:48:11 PM
I think, since DMFA is Pai-Gon rated, we won't be seeing the word 'bitch' in it anyway. It's a nice point for speculation, but there can't be any actual right or wrong.

As mentioned, it was for a fanfic someone was writing.. just made me wonder.

It's a mystery! But consider; why is 'f_____' considered an insult? It derives from f___, of course, but then why is 'f___' a swear word? It's just one of those linguistic quirks, and since humans are born evil just humans, insults are bound to be part of any language, and bitch works just fine if you ask me.

D:  Not here!  Not here!  This is the PG forum!

bill

Hmm. Mayhaps we need to set the swear filter to change "Uck-Fay" with something more suitible. Like "Puppies".

Damien Holtz

I will use the OMG face, but only because the OMG face is my religion.

D:

Honestly, I'm positive the larger majority reading DMFA can take a bit of swearing... And (while I'm not positive) I think 'bitch' is a bit over the PG rating too...

I changed it though.

Damien Holtz

Quote from: BillBuckner on July 29, 2006, 01:55:28 PM
Hmm. Mayhaps we need to set the swear filter to change "Uck-Fay" with something more suitible. Like "Puppies".
I think it was on some sort of crazy web community I was on where the admins had constructed a swearing filter which filtered out ALL SWEAR WORDS OVER THE G RATING and changed them to 'chipmunks' or something similar.

Crazy crazy.

llearch n'n'daCorna

"Puppies" is something else, though. Chest puppies. So that'd have to be boobies getting translated to that...

Fire Truck, perhaps? Or maybe... maybe... Hmm. Thinks. How about "coital interface between two adult humans" ? That's going to play merry hell with any sentence you put together with it in :-)

Incidentally, I have been on one web-based chat where they had a filter that included all non-G-rated words, and had some rather strange ideas about what to change them to. It also included some ... personal choices of the admin of the box in question, so random words got changed to other random words. Which was entertaining when another group I'm on a mailing list with got the same software to set up their own chat - the admin there, presuming that we're all adults who can say whatever we like and cope with the results, generated a completely random list of words that got filtered. So you can say f__k, but you can't say, just as an example, cheese - that gets automatically changed to "fish" (note: this is not intended to make any sense :-)

I know some strange folks :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Aridas

Come to think of it though, it seems the English language is one of very few languages that use straight out words as curses. In my experience with swears in other languages, a good number of them make some sort of reference to religion, however small. Others tend to be a little more complicated, but one thing's for sure - we've made plenty of words mean worse than they were intended to mean over the years. Maybe from too much use around sensitive people or giving these words so much extra meaning, but whatever it is, we're about || this close to making swearing illegalĀ  :laugh

Damien Holtz

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on July 29, 2006, 02:52:18 PM
Come to think of it though, it seems the English language is one of very few languages that use straight out words as curses. In my experience with swears in other languages, a good number of them make some sort of reference to religion, however small. Others tend to be a little more complicated, but one thing's for sure - we've made plenty of words mean worse than they were intended to mean over the years. Maybe from too much use around sensitive people or giving these words so much extra meaning, but whatever it is, we're about || this close to making swearing illegalĀ  :laugh
Yeah, now that I think about it...

I'm swedish, yeah? And in swedish there are all these words referring to 'devils', 'the devil', all that sort of jazz. Never thought about it that way before.

D:

icarus

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Netami

Tapewolf

Quote from: icarus on August 16, 2006, 03:01:08 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on July 12, 2006, 05:24:21 PM
I've just been proofreading someones' fanfic.

proofreading someones' fanfic.

someones' fanfic.

fanfic.

SIR
I BELIEVE WE HAVE A CANON CHECK, SIR

Well it isn't canon, but I'm trying to ensure consistency between the fanfics, at least.  I can't tell whether you think that's a good thing or a bad thing.  >:3

(Tries to figure out ways of producing that echo without using a computer - probably copying the recording multiple times and splicing the copies would be easiest)