Wizard 101

Started by Rakala, December 17, 2008, 10:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakala

This is a pretty fun online game. It's basically about a wizard's school, but the thing that I like is it fails at being a Harry Potter rip off. You're pretty much a student of one of the many schools. Fire, Storm, Ice, Myth, Life, Death, and Balance. Each have their own unique traits besides their element. There is some sort of plot but I wasn't paying attention. It's an MMO which you simply download and play. Although it does take a subscription so it will eat your money up like all the others. If anybody wants to check it out it's at http://www.wizard101.com  PM me if you're looking for somebody to play with.

*WARNING* I will act "in character" if you will, which will get extremely silly very quick.

Magic

Heard of it. The visuals and art direction look horrendously like it's aimed for a really young audience and even so far as the 'Family Plan' they offer right on the intro screen. It's bordering on making people feel like they're pedophiles just by looking at it. Suppose actual content and the players themselves may say otherwise. Since you're in it, mind clarifying that?

Aside from that, looks like a refreshing alternative take on a MMO; namely one that isn't gritty dystopian world of eternal pain and grind or gritty dystopian world of eternal pain and grind disguised by cutesy characters.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Colgatecrusader

but aren't those basically the definition of an MMO?
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

Magic

Point, but at least an average MMO doesn't openly admit to catering to an audience of minors through it's marketing plans. Again, back to that little 'Family Plan' they put up.

Edit: Scratch that, I think I can think of one other MMO that did. Toon Town Online, or something to that effect.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Colgatecrusader

they have a cartoon network mmo too.

EDIT: yes, and on the wizard101 homepage they have a printoutable coloring book. it's pretty geared toward little kids.
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: scorpio803 on December 20, 2008, 05:19:44 PM
but aren't those basically the definition of an MMO?

... what, massive multiplayer online?

I thought the definition of that was a lot of players, online. Anything else is gravy...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Colgatecrusader

gravy+online game. You got a good idea goin there. Now all we need is a good helping of mashed potatoes and tri-tip and we're back at thanksgiving.

Rakala

Quote from: Ink on December 20, 2008, 09:39:20 AM
Heard of it. The visuals and art direction look horrendously like it's aimed for a really young audience and even so far as the 'Family Plan' they offer right on the intro screen. It's bordering on making people feel like they're pedophiles just by looking at it. Suppose actual content and the players themselves may say otherwise. Since you're in it, mind clarifying that?

Aside from that, looks like a refreshing alternative take on a MMO; namely one that isn't gritty dystopian world of eternal pain and grind or gritty dystopian world of eternal pain and grind disguised by cutesy characters.

The art is a little iffy, but the monsters do look like actual monsters, not like cutesy versions of them.  That's a plus in my book. Yeah, it probably does appeal to a young audience and that's their main focus. I find it more entertaining than WoW personally but then again I don't like WoW very much apart from the awesome commercials.

Colgatecrusader

why is it whenever i hear about an MMO all i hear about is WoW, WoW WoW WoW. It's not even that special as far as mmo's go. Plus it sucks out your soul. like a vampire.