Playstation Plays the Race Card

Started by BlackSheep, July 05, 2006, 03:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSheep

ilpalazzo

Darkmoon

Indeed. Lame marketing.

Seriously, porcelean white? Doesn't Sony have any NEW ideas?

ilpalazzo

Why not milky white............. somehow I think a joke will spur from that. :blink

Saist

If I didn't know better I'd say Sony is dead set on removing itself from the video game market...

Xuzaf D

Quote from: je.saist on July 09, 2006, 01:03:28 AM
If I didn't know better I'd say Sony is dead set on removing itself from the video game market...
...That's why the ads promote a game system. It must be one of those ironic advertisements that want you not to buy the product.

Oh, sorry, were you refering to the other things they've been up to?

Suwako

I don't see Sony disappear from the gaming industry any time soon Saist.
Altough thier next generation console is a bit too expensive for to Mass
(not compared to whats in it) Also Sony still has many hardcore fanboys.
that will buy anything they make so it's unlikely that they'll dissappear.

These advertisements aren't even that offending but they won't put these in Amerika.
(http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/index.php)

Darkmoon

The problem relly is that unless the PS3 is fairly sucessful (which there is no reason why it couldn't be, Sony just needs to not be enitrely idiots), they will end up dead in the water, not because the PS3 itself didn't do very well, but because the game market is about the only thing keeping Sony's head above water. They are pretty much bankrupt in every other department they run.

Saist

Quote from: The Warlike on July 09, 2006, 02:06:48 AM
Quote from: je.saist on July 09, 2006, 01:03:28 AM
...That's why the ads promote a game system. It must be one of those ironic advertisements that want you not to buy the product.

Oh, sorry, were you refering to the other things they've been up to?

yes. I'd start listing all the articles I've written, but I don't think my post count needs another 75 posts added in the space of 10 minutes.

Amber Williams

I find it funny that these adverts are making a bigger splash here than the country (Holland I believe) they are actually in.  People seem to be forgetting that maybe...just maybe...the billboards might not be a racist thing if the people who are viewing them are not seeing it as a racist remark.

I dunno...to be honest I'm more offended by the freaky 80's punkrock hairstyle than anything.

Jack McSlay

it's not white after milk or porcelan, it's after DS Lite  :rolleyes  :laugh
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Saist

Quote from: Jack McSlay on July 09, 2006, 08:07:13 PM
it's not white after milk or porcelan, it's after DS Lite  :rolleyes  :laugh

good luck with that Sony. Total confirmed DS system sales have already breached 18million worldwide. Playstation Portable has yet to breach 13million confirmed sales.

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: Amber Panyko on July 09, 2006, 06:44:25 PM
I find it funny that these adverts are making a bigger splash here than the country (Holland I believe) they are actually in.  People seem to be forgetting that maybe...just maybe...the billboards might not be a racist thing if the people who are viewing them are not seeing it as a racist remark.

I dunno...to be honest I'm more offended by the freaky 80's punkrock hairstyle than anything.
Americans probably find it offensive or unsettling because we have quite a large history of racial tension.

Amber Williams

Quote from: ×HaZ×MaT× on July 09, 2006, 11:29:58 PM
Americans probably find it offensive or unsettling because we have quite a large history of racial tension.

Indeed. Which was probably why Sony decided to completly avoid the campaign here in the States.

Ok.  Heres the thing...which will probably get me a whole lot of flaming but WEEE~

People here, in the United States, are angry at the company for making this advertisement in another country because they feel it is racist and offensive.  However, a year ago, when certain cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad were ran in Denmark papers...offending the Muslim religion and causing in some cases deadly riots...the response from most Americans was outrage over the offense.  If I remember right, a whole lot of "freedom of speech" and "grow tougher skin" and so on was said.

Yes, racism in its ugliest form is incredibly terrible...but there is a difference betwen racism and simply acknowledging that there are differences between two types of people.

And the hairstyle is still really gaudy. XP

Xuzaf D

It's funny how I get this weird second coming of Christ conversation whenever I talk to a PSP owner about the games.
It's like just because I know nobody is releasing anything good for the thing I'm some kind of heathen.

Darkmoon

Well, good things do come out on it once in a while. They just so happen to be ports... or games that will likely get ported To the PS2 eventually. Why bother buying it?

Sides which, I'm not much for portable gaming. If they could make the PSP play on a TV, I might look into it, but then... it's just a PS2 all over again. Lame.

Xuzaf D

I think it's a problem when I can't tell PSP screens from DS or PSX ones.

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: Amber Panyko on July 10, 2006, 12:17:15 AM
Quote from: ×HaZ×MaT× on July 09, 2006, 11:29:58 PM

Indeed. Which was probably why Sony decided to completly avoid the campaign here in the States.

Ok.  Heres the thing...which will probably get me a whole lot of flaming but WEEE~

People here, in the United States, are angry at the company for making this advertisement in another country because they feel it is racist and offensive.  However, a year ago, when certain cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad were ran in Denmark papers...offending the Muslim religion and causing in some cases deadly riots...the response from most Americans was outrage over the offense.  If I remember right, a whole lot of "freedom of speech" and "grow tougher skin" and so on was said.

Yes, racism in its ugliest form is incredibly terrible...but there is a difference betwen racism and simply acknowledging that there are differences between two types of people.

And the hairstyle is still really gaudy. XP
Pwnt.  +1 Karma for j00.

olroxshade

what mean the color? nothing.......the important is the use

EvilIguana966

I don't think the ads are particularly racist against anyone.  However, there is absolutely no way at all that anyone with an IQ above about 7 could not see the racial aspect of that ad.  I don't think it's anything to get worked up over.  Personally when I first saw it I was just laughing hysterically at it. 

ilpalazzo

Quote from: The Warlike on July 10, 2006, 12:46:06 AM
It's funny how I get this weird second coming of Christ conversation whenever I talk to a PSP owner about the games.
It's like just because I know nobody is releasing anything good for the thing I'm some kind of heathen.

Hey there is Monster hunter..... I just saw the new emotes... I think they are planning to steal my soul....... besides that, there are the Metal gear acid games, darkstalkers, Infected, and Gradius Collection.

Xuzaf D

Monster Hunter- Dull port of the PS2 game.

Metal Gear Ac!d- "like doing taxes at times"

Darkstalkers- I already have it... twice...

Infected- another mindless game where the AI is just a bunch of screaming cattle.

Gradius Collection- Also not new, but the first time the series has had a collection... still old content though.

ilpalazzo

Quote from: The Warlike on July 12, 2006, 01:35:42 AM
Monster Hunter- Dull port of the PS2 game.

Metal Gear Ac!d- "like doing taxes at times"

Darkstalkers- I already have it... twice...

Infected- another mindless game where the AI is just a bunch of screaming cattle.

Gradius Collection- Also not new, but the first time the series has had a collection... still old content though.

Alrighty mister poopy pants

Loco Roco, a new puzzle game with a cute little blob.

and I remember seeing two really good looking and fresh RPGs for the psp I can't remember there names though