Mafia Game (Details within)

Started by Darkdragon, December 06, 2008, 07:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkdragon

I've recently been introduced to a party game known as Mafia (otherwise known as Werewolf) and would think is a good game to adapt for forum play. The rules are a bit complex to explain but in play is quite simple really.

A summery of the basic rules:
1. The players are assigned to one of the two groups, the Mafia or the Villagers. There will always be more Villagers then the Mafia. The Mafia's goal is to obtain a majority in the group while the villagers' goal is to eradicate the Mafia.
2. The game has two game phases and a narration phase (Known as Day, Night and Dawn, respectively).
3. During the day phase, all live players debate who they think is in the Mafia and vote who to kill. The victim who has the most votes at the end of the day phase is executed and the game proceeds to Night phase.
4. During night phase, the Villagers are forbidden to speak of the game, but the Mafia has to agree on someone to kill for the night. You will be informed beforehand what you can do at night.
5. If a conclusion cannot be met in either phase by either group within the time limit for the phase, the chance to kill is forfeit and the game proceeds.
6. The dawn phase is when the game moderator (at this point I'd like to do it) describes who was killed at night, usually with a short scene which may or may not include red herrings to who the actual murderer is.
7. Dead players are excluded for the remainder of the game when they are dead, unless otherwise noted.
8. A player may also be assigned a role. Some common roles are as follows:
9.a. Undercover cop: This person, during each night phase, may investigate the group which one person belongs to, either Mafia or Villager. The Undercover cop is on the Villager side.
9.b. Doctor: This person, during each night phase, may choose one person to check the health of. If said person was attacked, the doctor will save the person, preventing the person from dying for the night phase. A doctor cannot save him/herself. The Doctor is on the Villager side.
9.c. Vigilante: This person, during each night phase, may choose to kill one person. The Vigilante is on the Villager side. This role is usually only assigned in large games.
9.d. Role Blockers: This person, during a night phase, can prevent one person from executing their night role. The Role Blocker can be on either side, depending of game circumstances.

Rules to allow the game to function on a forum environment:
1. Talking about the game outside the designated game thread is forbidden unless otherwise allowed by the role.
2. Roles will be given out at the beginning of the game via PM by the game moderator.
3. Night role actions are to be PMed to the game moderator.
4. Editing posts or hiding text during the game is not allowed. Even if you made some horrendously large spelling or syntax error.
5. You are not allowed to quote any material regarding the game outside of the designated game thread.
6. Votes should be done along the lines of Vote: Darkdragon or Vote: No Kill. Obvious abbreviations are OK, but it has to be clear and in bold. Any votes which can be doubted will not be counted, and quoted votes do not count.
7. Please avoid attacking the person behind the role.
8. All normal forum rules apply.

This game will require at least five people not counting the game narrator (I'm willing to do it) to play, and would require signups. If there is any questions on the game, feel free to ask. Let's try and get this off the ground!

EDIT: I hate the list tag
EDIT2: I've done some research and saw how other forums do this and came up with the set of rules to allow the game to function. Question me if I've forgotten something.

Angel

...You have my curiosity. I might be in for this.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Corgatha Taldorthar

Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

VSMIT

I've seen the werewolf version, I'm in.

But one question: how will we keep villagers out of the night phase?

Darkdragon

Quote from: VSMIT on December 07, 2008, 01:26:39 AM
But one question: how will we keep villagers out of the night phase?
The way I've seen it done usually the Mafia communicates by PM. However, it also has been done over MSN or some other external chat client, since the Mafia usually gets to talk together during night phase.

ShadesFox

I've always liked the werewolf version.  I'm willing to to join in.
The All Purpose Fox

VSMIT

We needs moar people for this game!

Darkdragon

I know. 5 is also an embarrassing minimum which the game would be rather short. I'd like to have between 7 and 13, but that's not going to happen unless we divert traffic to this thread.  :<