Abel's Orientation

Started by Howl, October 31, 2008, 05:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Jairus on October 31, 2008, 05:45:10 PM
Quote from: Kipiru on October 31, 2008, 05:43:15 PM
Quote from: Xeksue on October 31, 2008, 05:31:35 PM
I hope he turns out straight as an arrow, just so I can watch the internet cry.  :)

Same here! Nothing against gay people, but I like my characters straight!

Actually... on an episode of Mythbusters, they filmed an arrow at high-speed so they could watch it: arrows don't fly straight, they wobble and twist as they fly. And you have to fire them at an angle if you want to hit something far away... well, from what I recall, anyway.
That's why they call it archery, you have to arch the arrow's flight path, otherwise it'll hit below the target. The same is so with high velocity firearms but to a much smaller degree for the same target distance.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

RobbieThe1st

I figure he is straight, although has a very weak or nearly nonexistence sex drive.
I figure that the "I'm gay for Abel" image Amber created was because most everyone considered him gay, and Amber appears to love fooling everyone, and creating debate among us forum folk. As it is, Amber could at this point reveal that Abel is *anything* and it would throw off some groups theory. So, I figure that Amber is not going to tell us unless there is a very strong reason to tell us, and at that point may decide, or change her decision. So, it may very well be up in the air as of now.

I am just deciding arbitrarily that he has to be straight and or nearly asexual, because that is the opposite of what appears to be the popular opinion, and so can't be that bad of a bet.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Minishear on October 31, 2008, 05:02:29 PM
Really, I can't be the only one who's certain Abel likes men.

Has he met any?  Merlitz met one, and they seemed, eventuality, to get along.

As to his orientation, the last I seen him, he was sitting upright.

With regards,
Ted

Kenji

I think he's a cheeseophile.

Anri

I, for one, believe his orientation depends on how he lands.

superluser

Quote from: Tikki on November 01, 2008, 12:11:59 AMI, for one, believe his orientation depends on how he lands.

I think the next thing we need to find out is Abel's chirality.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Turnsky

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 31, 2008, 05:23:27 PM
Abel had damn well better be gay, otherwise all my fanfics won't be canon :<

Well he might be Bi, that way you still win *nods*

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Dagardo

Quote from: superluser on November 01, 2008, 12:24:31 AM
Quote from: Tikki on November 01, 2008, 12:11:59 AMI, for one, believe his orientation depends on how he lands.

I think the next thing we need to find out is Abel's chirality.

I'd assume he's right handed cuz here, here, and here he's using his right hand to "sucker-punch," but I'm basing this off the fact that, it seems much more likely that you would be more apt to punch some with you're dominant hand than you're non-dominant, and I'm also assumong that chirality refers to your dominant hand since Wikipedia also calls it handedness. And that basically explains the whole dominant-hand thing... I'm gonna stop saying that.

Howl

Quote from: Ted Schiller on October 31, 2008, 11:39:16 PM
Quote from: Minishear on October 31, 2008, 05:02:29 PM
Really, I can't be the only one who's certain Abel likes men.

Has he met any?  Merlitz met one, and they seemed, eventuality, to get along.

As to his orientation, the last I seen him, he was sitting upright.

With regards,
Ted

Men refers to any male character. -i can't believe i have to spell this out-

Dagardo: You have more patience than me. But not that of a saint.

Dagardo

Quote from: Minishear on November 01, 2008, 01:02:49 AM
Dagardo: You have more patience than me. But not that of a saint.

Elaborate if you please. Patience with what?

Howl

I'm too impatient to go find comics where people are bleeding,

Dagardo

If you don't have enough patience to sift through a few comics, how do you play a strategy game like "Duelist of the Roses?" Seems to me like you could actually reread them while you're looking for a comic that you need to find for whatever reason. Maybe you'll run into a few of you're favorite moments in the process. Meh, whatever, sometimes you're not worth it. But on the topic of chirality perhaps Abel is mixed-handed, or learned ambidexterity, but is using his right hand more as that could be his naturally dominant hand. And it also seems like I have more patience than you when it comes to typing.

Howl

I'm moving cards in DotR. I'm not moving anything looking through those comics.

Dagardo

Moving cards or otherwise it's a game of strategy, cuz if you just put down and move cards willy-nilly you're gonna lose. Any of those Yu-Gi-Oh games, even the actual card game, is a game of strategy. Now who's lost this little talk? Not me me thinks.

Ghostwish

Quote from: Jairus on October 31, 2008, 05:37:36 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 31, 2008, 05:36:04 PM
I hope he turns out straight as an arrow, just so I can watch the internet cry.  :)

I'm rooting for this outcome. ;-]
Meanie...

Bad news, so am I! XD

Actually, I do lean more towards the fact he's sexually dead. People that have been f'ed with as much as he has usually have a great deal of trouble developing any kind of relationship.

That or he's a human lover, like Wildy. :P

Edit: Yup, posting four hours after I should have gone to bed is not a good idea, me finks. I could be wrong.

Jairus

Quote from: Ghostwish on November 01, 2008, 02:06:27 AM
Quote from: Jairus on October 31, 2008, 05:37:36 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 31, 2008, 05:36:04 PM

I'm rooting for this outcome. ;-]
Meanie...

Bad news, so am I! XD

Actually, I do lean more towards the fact he's sexually dead. People that have been f'ed with as much as he has usually have a great deal of trouble developing any kind of relationship.

That or he's a human lover, like Wendy. :P

I think you mean Wildy.

And actually, now that I think of it, maybe Abel really is too screwed up for romance or love. In anyone here reads Questionable Content, you'll get what I mean when I mention Faye and her backstory and problems: Abel's like that. He can function in everyday life, and he can handle friendships... but due to the loss of those so close to him and the betrayal of someone he thought he could trust implicitly, he might not be capable of getting that close to someone. Of letting himself open up that much... because in the back of his mind there will always be that quiet niggling voice telling him that they'll just die or betray him too.

I really do think Abel and Jyrras would make a cute couple, but they'll probably be friends first. Abel doesn't strike me as someone who has fully recovered, and he might never. To be honest, Fa'Lina feels like his only friend, the only one he's close too. I don't know what I'm saying, but I guess that having Jyrras and Abel as really good friends willing to see where this relationship goes works for me.

Oh well, I guess we'll see.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Jer-oh-me

Well, I suppose this thread was inevitable. Anyway, I'm rooting for Abel being... y'know what, I'll leave his orientation to Amber and am not really rooting for him being anything.

Zedd

Well Abel can be whatever he wants...It's not up to me to decide cookie boy's fate but the soul creator herself Amber...That's if Amber wants to explain it  :mwaha

icarus

there are orientations beyond 'straight' and 'gay'.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Jairus

Quote from: icarus on November 01, 2008, 03:03:37 AM

Off the top of my head, there's also "a," "bi," and "pan," in addition to "hetero" and "homo."

Hm... that could complicate things.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

superluser

Quote from: Dagardo on November 01, 2008, 12:51:11 AMI'm also assumong that chirality refers to your dominant hand since Wikipedia also calls it handedness. And that basically explains the whole dominant-hand thing... I'm gonna stop saying that.

Well, that's one definition of chirality, but I was thinking more of chemical chirality.  Is Abel cis- or trans-?  Is his geometric structure right handed or left handed?  Come to think of it, I know how you figure handedness out for physics, but I'm not sure how you determine which is D and which is L in chemistry.

Though I guess Abel would have to be cis-, since his thumbs point in the same direction.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Reese Tora

Normally vertical, though he's apparently spent plenty of time horizontal too...

Quote from: Jairus on October 31, 2008, 05:45:10 PMActually on an episode of Mythbusters, they filmed an arrow at high-speed so they could watch it: arrows don't fly straight, they wobble and twist as they fly. And you have to fire them at an angle if you want to hit something far away... well, from what I recall, anyway.

two different phenomena...

the shaft of an arrow flexes due to the force imparted on it by the string coming from behind(ooh, innuendo!)

The arching is a ballistic trajectory, which is a fancy way of saying it's the path that an object travels due to gravity accelerating the object towards the ground.  All objects traveling through the air as a result of only an initial force will adopt such a trajectory, from baseballs to bullets, though the faster it travels the further it has to travel to realize an arc.

I want to be cruel to everyone, and hope Abel will appear ambiguously oriented forever. (well, outside of an out-cannon admission of preference by Amber after the series is complete, a'la JK Rowling.)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Tycoon

Where are all of these fanfics that have been spoken of?

abelxrose 4evr

Naldru

I imagine that the flexing of the shaft would be more to the air pressure on the fletching (feathers) at the rear end acting like a weathervane.  Another way to look at it would be that the arrow acts like a flag on a windy day, flapping in the breeze like the people discussing Abel's sexuality.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Naldru on November 01, 2008, 08:47:26 AM
Another way to look at it would be that the arrow acts like a flag on a windy day, flapping in the breeze like the people discussing Abel's sexuality.

You're not bitter, are you, Naldru? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Anri

Bit him, too!

*finds the nearest cover from flying produce*

Howl

Quote from: Dagardo on November 01, 2008, 01:51:48 AM
Moving cards or otherwise it's a game of strategy, cuz if you just put down and move cards willy-nilly you're gonna lose. Any of those Yu-Gi-Oh games, even the actual card game, is a game of strategy. Now who's lost this little talk? Not me me thinks.

It is that I am moving something other than a mouse that lets me focus. It is that I have to think of strategy that I can remain focused.

Quote from: Jairus on November 01, 2008, 03:08:22 AM

Off the top of my head, there's also "a," "bi," and "pan," in addition to "hetero" and "homo."

Hm... that could complicate things.

We're going by what's... we'll say most common.

Quote from: superluser on November 01, 2008, 04:41:41 AM
Quote from: Dagardo on November 01, 2008, 12:51:11 AMI'm also assumong that chirality refers to your dominant hand since Wikipedia also calls it handedness. And that basically explains the whole dominant-hand thing... I'm gonna stop saying that.

Well, that's one definition of chirality, but I was thinking more of chemical chirality.  Is Abel cis- or trans-?  Is his geometric structure right handed or left handed?  Come to think of it, I know how you figure handedness out for physics, but I'm not sure how you determine which is D and which is L in chemistry.

Though I guess Abel would have to be cis-, since his thumbs point in the same direction.

What?

Quote from: Tycoon on November 01, 2008, 08:35:22 AM
Where are all of these fanfics that have been spoken of?

abelxrose 4evr

Rose? As in Mab's daughter? They've never met in canon.

Lucheek

I don't think it matters.

Abel doesn't want to be friends with anybody, much less find somebody to love. So wheter he's gay, bi, straight, or the other, I doubt it would really be relevant.

I just enjoy him for the snarky little spotty kitty he is.

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Ted Schiller on October 31, 2008, 11:39:16 PM
(snip)
As to his orientation, the last I seen[sic] him, he was sitting upright.
(snip)

Of course, he could be dreaming and still lying down.

With regards,
Ted

Zina

Whoa there, buddy.

You're getting a little out of control, there.

Personally, I think it's more imperative that we discover the sexual orientation of Aliyka. I swear, sometimes I just can't sleep at night because I am so wrecked with questions!!