If you're doing it to be cool, stop doing it.

Started by Sofox, October 01, 2008, 05:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azraelle

The anxiety and pain are supposed to be the inspirations for the art, not the result thereof.

Kipiru

Quote from: Azraelle on October 03, 2008, 05:38:17 AM
The anxiety and pain are supposed to be the inspirations for the art, not the result thereof.

In danger of repeating myself, they can be both! If neither one is present in the end, what is the point then? Art for art's sake is not a good thing in my eyes, you have to get some kind of feeling from what you do, otherwise it's wasted effort.

Lady Buggery

I think its true that anxiety and pain are great for me as a poet. Some of my greater poems came from really nasty experiences but I find its not the same for my drawn art. I have enough things causing me grief in my life, I don't need my outlets doing that to me too. They're called outlets for a reason I suppose. But I think I get that "homg I give up cut my hands off now" whenever I venture on to sites where 14 years olds do massively awesome works of art and all I can manage is a simple beveled digital drawing. This is why I suppose, I personally, need to just say "to heck with them, my art is mine" and strive to get better but at the same time, not let the fact that I'm not the best artist in the world get to me too much.

Kipiru

Quote from: Redwing X on October 03, 2008, 09:52:00 AM
"to heck with them, my art is mine" and strive to get better but at the same time, not let the fact that I'm not the best artist in the world get to me too much.

The essence of this strip summarised!

Lady Buggery

Quote from: Kipiru on October 03, 2008, 10:42:15 AM
"to heck with them, my art is mine" and strive to get better but at the same time, not let the fact that I'm not the best artist in the world get to me too much.

Glad to be of service? Heehee. But seriously, its all I can think of to do. When you're a kid everyone tells you that there will always be someone much better and much worse than you, its seriously true xD.

Kipiru

Quote from: Redwing X on October 03, 2008, 11:41:12 AM
Quote from: Kipiru on October 03, 2008, 10:42:15 AM

Glad to be of service? Heehee. But seriously, its all I can think of to do. When you're a kid everyone tells you that there will always be someone much better and much worse than you, its seriously true xD.

It's true alright, but so what. Keep creating with hearth and your results can be a lot better in nature than ones that are better in terms of technique.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Kipiru on October 03, 2008, 01:42:18 PM
It's true alright, but so what. Keep creating with hearth and your results can be a lot better in nature than ones that are better in terms of technique.

... and if you use your heart as well as your hearth, you'll be in like Flynn! ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sofox

You know, at the same time,I've noticed a few strips that technically have bad art but still somehow something gets across. You still feel something looking at the art even thought the art isn't the best. I find this inspirational in a way as it shows that even with limited art ability, you can still express a lot.

Kipiru

Quote from: Sofox on October 04, 2008, 06:46:07 AM
even with limited art ability, you can still express a lot.

Of course you can, that's why I hate when people give up on art without even trying.

Jack McSlay

While one should be drawing for oneself, getting over the frustration of people drawing crap getting more attention than you is obviously said than done - if you remove a nail from the wood, the hole will still be there.

Besides, if you put your work on the internet, and you don't bother if no one will ever look at it, then I don't see why bother putting it on the internet in the first place.
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Kipiru

Quote from: Jack McSlay on October 06, 2008, 05:57:06 PM
Besides, if you put your work on the internet, and you don't bother if no one will ever look at it, then I don't see why bother putting it on the internet in the first place.

True, one posts his work with the idea of being seen, but the motive should be to share your work for whoever likes it and not for getting attention out of it.