An art question for Amber

Started by Lorien, October 02, 2008, 11:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorien

I've always noticed you draw the winged character's (like Dan and Pyroduck for example) wings a particular shape.  The top is almost bowling pin shaped (when the wings are folded) and then widens out. 
I know you have a specific way you stylize/ keep anatomy in mind when drawing, and was wondering how you came to this conclusion for wings on humanoid shaped beings/ creatures. 
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post or otherwise a bother. >_<;;  This is by no means a criticism, I'm just trying to figure out humanoid wings.   Thanks in advance for any responses.

Amber Williams

Cause when I started this comic I didn't realize that so many narfing friends of mine had wings and needed to come up with a way to draw them so they didnt take up 90% of the comic space. :U

Other than that...I can only say that it just sort of happened after years of drawing them a particular way and it slowly changing into that style.

Lorien

Oooh, so not a particular anatomy reason.  Good to know.  Thanks a ton. :)

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 02, 2008, 11:45:23 PM
Cause when I started this comic I didn't realize that so many narfing friends of mine had wings and needed to come up with a way to draw them so they didnt take up 90% of the comic space. :U

Other than that...I can only say that it just sort of happened after years of drawing them a particular way and it slowly changing into that style.

i can only imagine  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Amber Williams

A few astute readers noticed how back in the veeeery first comics Dan, Alexsi, and Wildy were first drawn with wings.  It was right around there that I realized "oh snap. This is way to many narfing wings" and promptly removed most of them.

I guess you could say this was one of the first times that continuity came afterwards since I later set it up that wings tend to imply creature heritage.

But yeah. I dont really know why I draw them that particular way. Its just a stylistic choice I suppose.  I usually try to consider that wings when you get down to the bones generally just look like really wacky arms in terms of structure and since they are coming out of the back, it makes it somewhat harder for them to press against the sides quite as snugly as they would on an actual bird.

Mostly its just a tossup between convenience and habit though.

Turnsky

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 03, 2008, 12:45:41 AM
A few astute readers noticed how back in the veeeery first comics Dan, Alexsi, and Wildy were first drawn with wings.  It was right around there that I realized "oh snap. This is way to many narfing wings" and promptly removed most of them.

I guess you could say this was one of the first times that continuity came afterwards since I later set it up that wings tend to imply creature heritage.

But yeah. I dont really know why I draw them that particular way. Its just a stylistic choice I suppose.  I usually try to consider that wings when you get down to the bones generally just look like really wacky arms in terms of structure and since they are coming out of the back, it makes it somewhat harder for them to press against the sides quite as snugly as they would on an actual bird.

Mostly its just a tossup between convenience and habit though.

i guess that's one reason you don't draw Dan with headwings all the time (or Abel's full wings for that matter) >:3

Kipiru

Quote from: Turnsky on October 03, 2008, 01:03:06 AM

i guess that's one reason you don't draw Dan with headwings all the time (or Abel's full wings for that matter) >:3

Especially Abel's wings, they are tough to draw(talking from experience  :))

VSMIT

Dangit, Amber!  You prompted me to look back at the archives!  But I don't think Alexei had wings.  But Merlitz had permanent wings, not those flame ones he had later.

Darkmoon

Everyone had patches to remove their wings.

And they're all actually human, too.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Amber Williams

Stop ruining my plot twists Dmoon! :U

Now when I reveal that Dan is actually just a guy in a future dystopia who is trapped in a virtual reality simulator (all those blunt head attacks were actually various attempts of the simulator trying to wake him) and is playing through a fantasy to escape reality...no one is going to care! :<

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 03, 2008, 03:36:16 PM

Now when I reveal that Dan is actually just a guy in a future dystopia who is trapped in a virtual reality simulator (all those blunt head attacks were actually various attempts of the simulator trying to wake him) and is playing through a fantasy to escape reality...no one is going to care! :<
I knew it! And Mab is an Agent trying to keep him in! But I can't figure out what Jyrras and Abel are... perhaps leftovers of some old dating game?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Azraelle

They're all there to do what they're all there to do.

Sofox

I KNEW it! (whoa, deja vu)

Kipiru

Quote from: Jairus on October 03, 2008, 03:39:03 PM

I knew it! And Mab is an Agent trying to keep him in! But I can't figure out what Jyrras and Abel are… perhaps leftovers of some old dating game?

Will there be a huge fighting scene with lots of mech gun-platforms shooting at randomly passing robot-squids? Cause I love those scenes  :gun1

Turnsky

And there was that Big crossover you were planning too, right?.. talk about epic!  :U

Prof B Hunnydew

What?  NO  no no not another Matrix spooof or ..not another recall vacation gone wrong...No.  Dan don't take the pill!

:kittyno

:kittydepressed
PBH

The thing is My cat... Oreo.

Lorien

Wow Prof. B your cat looks vicious... You sure its not trying to suck your blood or eat your flesh there?

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Lorien on October 04, 2008, 09:00:10 PM
Wow Prof. B your cat looks vicious... You sure its not trying to suck your blood or eat your flesh there?

He is sweet love guy... Just don't take his steak..

PBH

No I'm kidding, this is not a picture of my cat.. He just look like this one.

Nekoboy

:wtf

*Twitches* "AHHHHH.....I think my brain just blew a bolt or two with that one...."

Alteisentier

Quote from: Nekoboy on October 04, 2008, 11:11:03 PM

*Twitches* "AHHHHH.....I think my brain just blew a bolt or two with that one...."

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh158/Alteisentier/thebutton.jpg?t=1223218469
*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

Nekoboy

Quote from: Alteisentier on October 05, 2008, 10:55:47 AM
Quote from: Nekoboy on October 04, 2008, 11:11:03 PM

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh158/Alteisentier/thebutton.jpg?t=1223218469

Huh? whats the buttion all about? and why does there look like my icon i nthe last panel? ?.?

Jack McSlay

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 02, 2008, 11:45:23 PMCause when I started this comic I didn't realize that so many narfing friends of mine had wings and needed to come up with a way to draw them so they didnt take up 90% of the comic space. :U
Yet, between pegasuses, spotted felines and 2 metre tall poodles, you insisted on adding even more  >:3
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.