[Art] Valynth's artistic attempt.[probably PG-13ish now]

Started by Valynth, January 14, 2008, 02:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valynth

Yes, yes I know I've been whining moaning and otherwise being a complete dork on the chat about "wha! I has no artz skillz o stufz pleze."

some of you have tried, for some reason to convince me otherwise.  Therefore to show you that I simply can't draw, I offer you this morsel of crud that came from my pencil and desk(AKA my dinner table).

View the monster!

Feel free to destroy whatever remains of my ego in reference to the image, but I reserve the right to get the first crack!  *beats his ego with a base ball bat*
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Zedd

You know...I am gonna be fully honest with you but your just putting it so hard on yourself right now

LionHeart

Put down the baseball bat, pick up the pencil, and get busy drawing more stuff like this. It's good.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

e_voyager

you draw better then i do. that line work is very good. could us a subject other then fear of drawing but trust me you're doing well (bloody mega man and bass doctor light quote)
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tezkat

The funny thing is... that really isn't bad art. You've paid attention to perspective, the shading is consistent, the composition is balanced, the hand and pencil are well formed, and (perhaps most importantly given the context) the subject matter is clever, even humorously ironic. You've demonstrated an intuitive understanding of the elements of good art and will only get better with practice.

You've clearly failed at convincing us that you can't draw. :mowcookie

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

WhiteFox

(I did have a long winded rant here, about a lot of crap, but all you really need to know is this:
1) The only way to fail at being an artist is to not make art. Everything else is excusable, and can be fixed with practice. Except maybe boring art. And since bad art is better than boring art, it's hard to get stuck making boring art.
2) One must enjoy the act of making art rather than the art that is created.
3) Failure is merely reality's inability to meet up to your expectations. Since you don't like your work, you must expect it to be good. Since you expect the things you make to be good, you must think highly of yourself as an artist.
4) Critic your art. Not yourself.)

Actually, the hand *is* very well formed. Maybe the thumb could be a little wider. Life drawing is not easy if you haven't been taught how to do it. You've also got a good feeling of energy to the image, spirals are very dynamic. Nice composition, too.

I like how the bottom edge of the board isn't even drawn in, but the shadow of the side still goes to a point. It infers that there is volume to the board, but doesn't distract the eye with parallel lines along the bottom, or unbalance the image with a large shadow.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Valynth

Wow, you guys have moved me.  I feel as though I've done something, left some form of mark upon the world.

I feel....ughh, like a mini-me just jumped out of my chest cavity *urk*
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.

WhiteFox

*blinkblink* Lemme get this straight.

You drew a person from an angle that most artists cringe to contemplate. Top down.
You foreshortened nicely with the pencil hand there.
You drew a pretty decent face, for a cartoon. (My only problem is that the forehead is way to short, but most cartooning styles overlook this anyway. The nose is a bit long, but noses usually are.)
Nice blood, too. it's all splortch-ey.

I could even tell the other hand was holding a sheet of paper. That takes finesse.

As for the larger figure, the shoulders are angled, the torso is about the right width in relation to the arms the neck is close enough. (everything's measured in heads. Torso is 2 headwidths, arms are half a headwith, and the neck is usually one headwith. Yours looks like 2/3rds of a headwidth, but cartoonists usually use a narrow neck. From chin to sternum is one head height, sternum to bellybutton is another head height, bellybutton to, uh, crotch is another head height. Fingertips reach same height as the crotch. Feet are a headheight long. The face is devided... I'll shut up now. You can get this all from books.)

I'm revoking your "I can't draw" privileges. How good you get will depend entirely on how much you practice.

The hand is a little off 'cause not even a closed fist will be that square, and when making a fist or gripping something, the thumb usually overlaps the first two fingers.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Valynth

Alright, I'm not sure if this okay, but I'm reviving my art thread with a new image.  It's pretty much my attempt at drawing a nude torso and head.  Now if only it was a woman's, I could die a happy man.  I know the face is crappy, but eh, I did what I could and it's practice.

I did my best.

Valynth

annnnnnd we're back!.....Well, I am anyway.

For this little horror, I started off thinking about my character's sword.  But some time after sketching the blade a little voice in my head said "whoa dude lets make a skull blade it would, like, be totaly awresome."  So I did.  I tried to darken the usual pencil line with some ink.  It didn't work to well as I had to clean the image with a gimp....er THE gimp.....er.....I mean....  LOOK THERE'S A BABY PANDA! *flees*

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj287/Valynth_drawings/Swordconcept.png