World of Aeroch RPG (OOC/Character creation/beginning info/discussion thread)

Started by Corgatha Taldorthar, September 22, 2008, 09:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corgatha Taldorthar

You, the party, are a group of seasoned "troubleshooters" called Rayman's Raiders. I your last mission, you recently took on a temporary stint in the Crendari navy to help fight off some Lelrathi pirates. In the skirmish, the leader, Rayman, a cold, blackfisted jerk of a leader, got a crossbow quarrel, and after the sortie, you came back to Crendar to discuss the fate of the ban and divide up the treasure. (and possibly come up with a better name) Rayman's Raiders is a pretty well skilled, if not very famous group of adventurers, and everyone in it should be a pretty competant individual, with a variety, if not an unlimited one, of skills.  While either celebrating, mourning, or planning as the case may be, you recently got a note that a Lieutenant Fargath wants you to report to his office to investigate some sort of odd sighting near a little coastal hamlet named Ethberz. You're being offered a fair sum of money, enough to feed you for a month, and it's probably just some sort of magically mutated bear........ Easy money right?

That's things as they start. I'm not going to be giving away much that this mission will turn out to be more involved than it first looks, and it should hopefully draw you into the plot.

As for character generation............

Generally, I want a fairly simple, if complete bio. A probable template should be something like this

Name of Character (If this is left unsaid I'm going to assume that your character has the same name as your ID)

Species

Nationality (if appropriate)

Physical appearance (basics. I'd like to know if you're tall or short, not how many hairs you have in that mole on the left side of your face)

Personality. (At least anything immediately apparent about your character after a five minute conversation.)

Skills/Strengths/Weaknesses (Please, no all perfect characters. And the characters here are part of a mercanary group. That probably means you have at least some ability to deal with the outdoors, some ability to work with boats; ships are very common in Aeroch, and anyone who travels gains at least a passing familiarity with them, some ability to defend yourself, and magic, rare knowledge, mercantile or ability to deal well with people are all sorts of good skills. Remember, you guys are supposed to be veterans of years of mercanary work. While not making yourselves overpowered you shouldn't be bumbling beginners either. Actually, it's more important to me that your characters be balanced to each other, so no one person dominates, than to be balanced against an objective game world. I can always scale the difficulty of the challenges you face to compensate. )

History. (Doesn't need to be too detailed, but just a basic outlook on the life, childhood,  and some dealings with the mercanary group that got you to this point.)

If I think of anything else that is important to say, I'll put it here. If you think of anything important that I should be saying, yell at me through a Pm or one of the threads :p
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Ghostwish

Plan on a roguish, feline exotic from me. ;)

Edit: Okiedokie, read over the species a bit more, and I'm ready to take a stab at my character.

Name: Malcurth Snowfur

Species: Exotic (Snow Leopard)

Nationality: Wanderer

Physical Appearance: 5'11, 198 lbs, and as with most feline exotics, he is lean and supple in his build. His fur is thick, smooth, and snowy white, except for the black spots all over his body except for his underbelly. His eyes are a clear, icy blue, while his nose and the inside of his ears are black. He is often found to be wearing his leather armor, arranged for journies and stealth. His most visible equipment is a pair of short swords on his back, along with a light crossbow dangling from his belt. He wears a backpack, along with a vest lined with pockets.

Personality: Touch the right topics, and you will quickly find he's quite racist against orcs, as well as rather intolerant towards religions and their many followers. He tends to be quite cold and distant, preferring to keep any conversation 'professional' and rarely divulges anything about himself.

Skills/Strengths/Weaknesses: Malcurth is a rogue, a thief, and in some small aspects, an assassin and illusionist. He is very quick on his hindpaws and has incredible reflexes. His paws are deft and agile, and he has a great skill in both picking locks and disarming traps. He has practiced long and hard in the art of moving as quietly and undetected as possible, while also having a knack for finding the best places to hide. In these capacities, he excels best at being a cat burgler (no pun), easily scaling the sides of buildings to reach the floor where the most valuable possessions are likely to be found. However, he has no qualms with ending the life of someone who opposes him, and has developed the deadly art of the ambush to the point where if he comes up undetected on a hapless target, he can swiftly and silently end their lives. Also, he has had a few years of formal schooling in the art of illusion while apprenticing under an older mage, explained further in his history. He has a number of spells and tricks from the school of illusion, but very little from other genres of magic.

History: Parents, family and clan killed in a raid by orcs, Malcurth has been both a wanderer and a loner for nearly all of his life. He first lived as a street waif. stealing food, clothes, and the other bear necessities of life wherever her could. He soon graduated to higher crimes, often pickpocketing merchants and making off with a shopkeeper's earnings. Eventually, he began to be hired by local crime organizations to nick certain goods and return them for a fair amount of coin, but this nearly got him killed when he took a job that was a tad too dangerous. He was told to break into the adobe of a local wizard and make off with a select magical item.. but was surprised when, nearly about to grab the item, the wizard materialized out of thin air. The following chase and hijinks introduced Malcurth to some of the finer points of illusionary magic in a rather embarrassing manner, but the event entertained the wizard so that he was inclined to offer Malcurth a deal. Work solely for the wizard, and he would teach the feline his art. The offer was actually rather intriguing, and refusing would have likely resulted in his death at the hands of the wizard, so Malcurth agreed. For the next few years, Malcurth stole only what the wizard wanted, usually from rival mages, jobs that were made far easier by his new found talents in illusion.

In the end, they had such a profitable arrangement that the wizard also gifted Malcurth with a pair of enchanted blades, free of cost. His two short swords have separate enchantments upon them, one of wounding and one of vampiracy, named Vicious and Gracious respectively.

After leaving the wizard's tutelage, Malcurth continued to wander for a bit, before finding profit in the adventuring business, which eventually lead him to sign up with Rayman's Raiders. And so here he is now.

Noone

O...K... I guess I'll start, it has to be someone right? :)

Name: Kyavirr Durthan
Species: Male Exotic, Feline
Nationality: from Tolreram
Physical appearance:
Kyavirr stands 5 ft 10 inches tall. He has yellow eyes, pointy ears, and weighs around 140 lbs. His fur color is black. He is slightly slim in comparison to humans.
Personality:
Kyavirr is generally easygoing, and he very rarely loses his cool, keeping level headed even when events around him are at their worst. He is somewhat shy though, he usually keeps to himself unless called upon, and he gets uncomfortable in large crowds. He is quite friendly when spoken to, generally polite, and rarely breaks eye-contact. He also has a dislike of religious types.
Skills/Strengths/Weaknesses:
In combat, Kyavirr prefers taking targets off at a distance with his longbow. He is a very good shot with it, able to quickly spot weaknesses in the defenses of most enemies and hit at long distance. If pressed into melee combat, he will pull out his rapier which he can use with skill and decent precision, though he is significantly more skilled at ranged combat than he is in close quarters combat. Kyavirr is quick and dextrous, and has very fine-tuned reflexes, he is also a decent acrobat, skilled at jumping, rolling, and tumbling past danger. He generally wears studded leather armor, which while decently protective, not so restrictive as to hamper Kyavirr's natural reflexes.

Kyavirr, being from Tolreram, is economically educated, and is skilled at appraising an item's value and at dealing with merchants. He also has a good understanding of both macroeconomics and microeconomics. Aside from that, he is also adept at working with small boats that merchants commonly use.

He is able to see well in the dark, and has heightened hearing, sight, and smell.

Kyavirr also has some innate magical abilities. Most of them revolve around illusions and subtle charms. His magic is entirely natural, he is able to cast it without having had any magical schooling. That said, he also lacks the magical knowledge that is commonly associated with arcane casters. His spells also have an element of undependability to them, sometimes backfiring in a comical fashion, his most common case is one where it turns his fur rainbow colored for an hour.
Some of his favorite spells involve:
Creation or removal of light, which can be used to make an object glow brightly, illimunating dark places, or create a field of 'almost' natural darkness, which he can see through, but some creatures can't.
He can also bend light to hide objects, or camoflauge himself or others. Examples include hiding a pit by making the floor seem uniform where it is, or making a person blend in with his immediate surroundings. (moving would probably break such an illusion)
He is also able to use illusion magic to make the appearance of a change minor features like hair color, eye color, or other minor changes to appearance like a removal of a beard or mustache.

One of his other magical abilities, as part of his innate magical power, also allows him to detect magical auras. For most spells and enchantments, he has to concentrate to actually detect magical auras. However, for more powerful enchantments (like the results of most ritual magic), he can detect it without concentrating on this ability.
Background:
Kyavirr is an Exotic from Tolreram. He has no memories of his real parents, but he is an adopted child of Warren Durthan, a semi wealthy merchant from Tolreram, though Kyavirr doesn't talk about the circumstances involved in the adoption. Kyavirr learned much about economic system from him, and helped him along with his family's travels. He is well educated as far as economics goes, though he is literate and has some background on political and legal affairs. He mostly helped deal with the few exotics that Warren dealt with, as they were friendlier towards him than they were towards his human 'family.' He picked up archery as a hobby, and during his late teens, he started developing a natural affinity for illusiary magic, though his powers were modest at best. (and oddly comical at worst)
His change to the adventuring life was swift and sudden, his family was accused of large-scale illegal trading and fraud. Kyavirr himself never partook in any such activities, but never found out if said accusations had any truth to them. (He was more distant to his parents than his 'brother' and 'sister' were.) All four of them were sent to jail time and had most of their assets stripped, but Kyavirr was acquitted, though he is very tight-lipped about the specifics. With nowhere else to go, and with some equipment and assets he had, he took to the adventuring life, bringing his bow, illusions, and his charming nature with him.

Please let me know if there are any problems and if I'll have to change some things around, if I left something out, or I have to scrap him and start a new character.