09/07/08 [DMFA #935] Dramatic Hyperbole

Started by Darkdragon, September 07, 2008, 10:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lego3400

Quote from: VSMIT on September 08, 2008, 12:37:26 PM
Everyone has this feeling of disillusionment at some point in Adventuring School, but it all goes away when the students remember that they get paid for serving "justice."

Oooh, money makes everything better :D

Tapewolf

Quote from: VSMIT on September 08, 2008, 12:37:26 PM
Everyone has this feeling of disillusionment at some point in Adventuring School, but it all goes away when the students remember that they get paid for serving "justice."

Funnily enough, if - in the Ultima games - you select only the most hateful, vicious and self-centred answers to the character generator's questions (e.g. killing a fugitive you believe to be innocent, causing diplomatic incidents, stealing the merchant's gold and so forth) 'justice' is the trait you end up with.

Getting back to the strip it is, IMHO, a very tricky situation.  Though if Fi convinces Dan that he is evil for going around killing people, it might make it easier for him to attend SAIA  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

VSMIT

Or it may just push him over the edge, since he really doesn't want to be a Cubi, after all.

Rakala

There is a huge difference between what Dan and other evil people do. Dan, even if for other more personal reasons, stops the senseless murder and enslavement of millions of people. I would even be willing to bet that's why he became an adventurer. You can't deny that he is way more justified than any villain.

Lucheek

Though Fi is getting Dan's ideas right, in essence, there are a few things that don't match up.

First, he says "saving your own kind." Dan isn't just saving beings (in the story his own kind is a being)- but every creature that DP would attack (dragons, mythos, undead, so forth.) But I guess that's a minor detail.

But the "kill them before they kill you". I think the diffrence between a typical demon philosophy and an adventurer is the Adventurer waits for somebody to prove they are out to hurt others. A demon, it seems, will attack anything they see as a threat- even if it isn't one.

But most of all, Fi's using words with negative connatation. Litterally, they mean the same thing- but the emotions behind them (or the intent) is more spiteful.

I like Dan more now, knowing that he really dosn't want to go and chop off the heads of anything diffrent than him. But he does seem like he needs to come to terms with, even though his slaying is justified and the right thing to do, it is indeed Killing.

Alondro

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 08, 2008, 09:39:08 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on September 08, 2008, 08:16:31 AM

Oh, he'll do it all right, just reluctantly.  For which I applaud him as it makes him somewhat more noble than a simple thug.

Quoted For Truth. That's exactly why my respect for Dan increased. Prior to this comic I kind of thought of him more as a thug and the typical hack-and-slash Adventurer.

I'm a hack-and-slash (and soul-nom-nom) Cubi!  I respect the same character in the Adventurers who try to kill me... even though they never stand a chance in hell.   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Dagardo

Quote from: Alondro on September 08, 2008, 09:08:32 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 08, 2008, 09:39:08 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on September 08, 2008, 08:16:31 AM

Oh, he'll do it all right, just reluctantly.  For which I applaud him as it makes him somewhat more noble than a simple thug.

Quoted For Truth. That's exactly why my respect for Dan increased. Prior to this comic I kind of thought of him more as a thug and the typical hack-and-slash Adventurer.

I'm a hack-and-slash (and soul-nom-nom) Cubi!  I respect the same character in the Adventurers who try to kill me... even though they never stand a chance in hell.   >:3

Yeah but sooner or later you'll get cocky and screw up, and then you'll be dead, cause after all there is no such thing as unbeatable. Just like nothing is impossible, only improbable.

Howl

Quote from: Lowde on September 08, 2008, 02:48:13 AM
It's because since every creature or being is judged only by another member of his or her own species, then there's certain crimes that are punished with different severity depending to which race you belong... And since DP is a demon (and not the only one, btw), he would be judged by another demon, who have quite a maquiavelic way of understanding their pursuit of power.

Then really now, why not just have a different race altogether be a single judge? Like if a Demon kills a Being, why not just have one, Incubus judge?

Dagardo

Quote from: Minishear on September 08, 2008, 11:44:58 PM
It's because since every creature or being is judged only by another member of his or her own species, then there's certain crimes that are punished with different severity depending to which race you belong... And since DP is a demon (and not the only one, btw), he would be judged by another demon, who have quite a maquiavelic way of understanding their pursuit of power.

Then really now, why not just have a different race altogether be a single judge? Like if a Demon kills a Being, why not just have one, Incubus judge?

I ditto the thought. Although for it to work one that didn't judge based on personal preferences would have to be picked. And now that I think about it, the court system if furrae seems kinda frigged up. Also, whats a hyperbole? And Minishear I steal you're cookie :mowcookie

Darkdragon

Quote from: Dagardo on September 08, 2008, 11:49:57 PM
Also, whats a hyperbole?
Glad you asked. A hyperbole is an exaggeration to make a point, usually to emphasize something. What I'm basically saying in fancy literary-talk is how Fi takes Dan's views and puts it in an extreme viewpoint.

Dagardo

Quote from: Darkdragon on September 09, 2008, 02:14:30 AM
Also, whats a hyperbole?
Glad you asked. A hyperbole is an exaggeration to make a point, usually to emphasize something. What I'm basically saying in fancy literary-talk is how Fi takes Dan's views and puts it in an extreme viewpoint.

Thank you kindly. And for some reason I feel like dancing.  :boogie

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lucheek on September 08, 2008, 04:21:46 PM
I like Dan more now, knowing that he really dosn't want to go and chop off the heads of anything diffrent than him. But he does seem like he needs to come to terms with, even though his slaying is justified and the right thing to do, it is indeed Killing.
I wonder whether that's one of the reasons he gave it up.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dagardo

Yeah, but Dan does kinda need to realize that sooner or later we all gotta do stuff we don't want to.

Rakala

Quote from: Minishear on September 08, 2008, 11:44:58 PM

I ditto the thought. Although for it to work one that didn't judge based on personal preferences would have to be picked. And now that I think about it, the court system if furrae seems kinda frigged up. Also, whats a hyperbole? And Minishear I steal you're cookie :mowcookie

Well if you think about it, in a world where there are so many races with so many different views it would be difficult to make up a fair court system. I think all the judges should have some kind of magic removal of racial discrimination and the jury should consist of multiple races. Also they would need heavily armed and trained guards to contain the jury's battles.