Vinyl vs CD - compared

Started by Tapewolf, August 16, 2008, 02:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Quote from: modelincard on August 23, 2008, 09:39:44 AM
Quote from: LionHeart on August 23, 2008, 07:33:58 AM
Quote from: Jairus on August 23, 2008, 12:43:52 AMStill, they got to play with a really cool old Phonograph, and a gob-load of other neat gadgets too. Actually, that just describes Mythbusters in general, doesn't it?
Sure does. :mowhappy
And explosions. Don't forget the explosions. >:3
How could I forget those? Them coming up with new ways to replicate the "results" of a myth is just so much fun. I just love the Exploding Water Heater myth. That explosion was amazing. But for sheer "Holy crap they actually did it!" factor, you can't get any higher than the episode where they built a lead balloon... and it worked!
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Jigsaw Forte

Well, I work at a radio station after all... and I love vinyl if for no other reason than I can just let it play and play and play without worrying about a specific amount of time (which generally means I can play it longer / just play to fill a time gap rather than a CD where I feel compelled to look for a specific length). Also, vinyl has a certain aesthetic appeal that CDs lack (We were went a transparent orange vinyl record for the "Juno" Soundtrack several months ago. You think you can do that with a CD?)

To be fair, there's a lot of warmth and depth that vinyl has, but as a downside the maintenance is more of a bitch (on a CD, all you have to do is not touch the edges. Try doing that with Vinyl -- I have to wipe down the disc each time!) And storage is also a problem since the primary structural integrity of vinyl is in the disc itself as opposed to letting the jewel case of a CD help you prevent crushing discs under their own weight.

Oh, and the cost doesn't help. Pure Digital == cheap. CDs == pretty cheap. Vinyl... not so much.