If You Had...

Started by Nikki, August 07, 2008, 06:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikki

This really isn't a game but kind of a scenario-type-thinga-ma-jig. Spawned from exhaustion.

You have somehow acquired $500million. But there's a catch to this money.

100 Million- For you to spend on yourself (What do you spend it on?)
100 Million- For you to give to a family member or friend(s) (Who do you give it to?)
300 Million- For you to spend on anything and anyone except yourself. (What do you do with it?)

For me;
I would probably save 25million and spend the rest on a house, a car, new game consoles,a pet or two and a crapload of other stuff :B
I would give it to my Grandparents on my mother's side.
I'd divy it up and; Invest in research into new energy sources, Donate to several animal shelters, donate to a few charities, and buy my grandparents a new house. Then with what's left, put in a college fund for my kiddos. (if/when i have some)

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'd buy a laptop, pay off the mortgage, and buy a couple more houses and rent them out. Invest some of the leftovers somewhere else, set up a pension, and then cough up for the loft conversion and kitchen extension I'm trying to get organised. And also sort out the shed we're trying to get built.
That'd be maybe 25 million, maybe a little more. I'd also take some time off work, go on a few courses, look for a new job, maybe. Maybe just poke about with various projects that have been on hold because I haven't had the time or the money.

Heck, with that sort of money, buying a place to put stacks of servers and screwing about with them becomes doable.

The second hundred million, I'd give to my wife. ;-]

The third, set up a college fund for my son, and a pension, etc.

The fourth and fifth? I think I'd look at some free/open source projects, and cough up for some coding time to get them working. You could get a heck of an interesting set of things going for that. Things like massive increases in the Linux kernel, or some serious development for ubuntu desktop, or some such. See about making some massive change in the market...

It's an awful lot of money, though. And arguably, setting up a pension isn't spending it...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

100 Million for me-  I'd like to find a plot of land somewhere far away from most modern civilzation, preferably well forested and cultivate that forest.  Give myself a nice secluded home in there.  Just watch the trees grow while I relax and enjoy the world around me.

100 Million for my Family - Divvy it up between immediate family members fair and square.

300 Million for Anyone Else - Charity.  No idea what though.  That would take a lot of time and effort to consider.  The open source project idea is a good one, but that does in a way benefit me as a user of said technologies.  Tough tough tough.

Jer-oh-me

100 Mil for moi: I'd set up an energy self sufficient cmpound on each populated continent, would buy a private plane and a fleet of electric cars, invest anything still remaining.
100 Mil for fam: Give it to my dad, he'd likely do something similar.
300 Mil for Rnd: I'd set up something like the Nobel prize, either that or perhaps some sort of scholarship program.

aserath

100 mil for me: Well 50 mil VEGAS BABY!!!! The other 50 mil save it, invest it, etc.
100 mil for others: Give 50 mil to my brother and go to vegas with him with my 50 mil and give the other 50 to my dad.
300 mil to give away: I dunno donate it to cancer research or maybe splt it up and send it to different charities. But probably cancer research.

Slowtini

500 million, directly into a high interest bank account.
Live off the interest.
Donate whatever OF that interest, is not needed for a semi-comfortable life, to various charities.

Best part of that strategy, is that you'll never run out of money. xD