Firefox 3

Started by shadowterm, July 19, 2008, 05:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowterm

So it's out, and I'm really regretting having switched to it. First off, most any site with streaming video or audio will crash it almost every single time. Additionally, anything I try to download says it's complete, but never makes it to the specified folder, as far as I can tell Firefox decided to download it to a black hole in delta quadrant. I've had more crashes in two days with Firefox 3 than I did switching to vista, and Microsoft is the one that got famous for the blue screen of death. I can't wait for the update to fix at least some of this garbage.

Does anyone else have these problems with 3?
/)//w//(\

Tapewolf

Quote from: shadowterm on July 19, 2008, 05:12:37 PM
So it's out, and I'm really regretting having switched to it. First off, most any site with streaming video or audio will crash it almost every single time. Additionally, anything I try to download says it's complete, but never makes it to the specified folder, as far as I can tell Firefox decided to download it to a black hole in delta quadrant. I've had more crashes in two days with Firefox 3 than I did switching to vista, and Microsoft is the one that got famous for the blue screen of death. I can't wait for the update to fix at least some of this garbage.

Does anyone else have these problems with 3?
Well, I've been running it since the betas, and I currently have the final release installed on about 7 machines with MacOS, Linux (32-bit and 64-bit) and Windows XP and none of them have had any problems.

I used to have an issue with A/V streaming under Windows but that took down every browser on the system from IE through Opera, so it was obviously a corrupted CODEC or WMP having eaten itself or something.

I'm not entirely sure which update you're referring to, though.  3.01 came out today.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

I've noticed that since Debian Lenny updated to FF3, my browsers - all my browsers - are less stable, and tend to crash randomly while I'm using them.

This is less than optimal, since I have 4 windows and 15 tabs open in Firefox, and 4 windows and 16 tabs open in Epiphany. Plus whatever I happen to be opening when it crashes.

On the up side, they've been reasonably good about saving the session and re-opening it.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jigsaw Forte

The only thing I've noticed as being "Wrong" with FireFox 3 is that Gaia's avatar-dressing page now has a blurry av instead of a crisp, pixelly one.

Oh, and it took Morning Coffee a week to make itself compatible.

bill

I'm having massive network connectivity problems ever since upgrading to FF3, plus slowdown any time I try to download a file. I'm also having huge streaming issues, even with Flash video, so it's good to see that this isn't a unique problem.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on July 19, 2008, 07:13:56 PM
The only thing I've noticed as being "Wrong" with FireFox 3 is that Gaia's avatar-dressing page now has a blurry av instead of a crisp, pixelly one.
That usually happens when the image is forced to be displayed at the wrong size by the HTML code.  Most browsers use a simple and fast rescaling algorithm which simply drops or replicates pixels.  FF3 seems to use some kind of interpolated rescaler like the ones in GIMP and Photoshop.  I can only wonder why it took so long for someone to think of it...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

shadowterm

In response to the question about it being 3.01, yes. I had better luck than my sister though, as she currently has to run sea monkey to view the internet at all. My dad says hes the main cause, however, and it's probably unrelated. I'm pretty sure the problem isn't with quick time or other reliant programs, and the download issue seems to be popping up with other people. Apparently it first saves it to a /temp and then moves it to the specified folder. After searching the hard drive rather thoroughly I can safely say that if it did, it erased them shortly after.
/)//w//(\

RobbieThe1st

Personally, I am running the last version of 3.0/pre nightly build(2008061505), Minefield. I haven't had it crash much at all, and the few times it does, are generally caused by me crashing it and not waiting for it to finish something.

Tapewolf:
I also noticed the fuzzy resizing of images back a few versions, and I wondered for a second, and then realized what it was. I also agree that it is a very good idea, and also wonder why no one thought of it yet, especially as cubic or bi-cubic rescaling has been included in very simple graphics libraries for quite a while now; GD2 as an example.
I just had a thought: It may not have been that they hadn't thought of it, but that they couldn't figure out a way to implement it in an efficient enough method - Rescaling takes a lot more processing power than resizing as you well know.

Oh yea... On the topic of resizing images, I just found this:
http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/08/holy_crapworthy.html
Now *That* is cool!

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

shadowterm

I'm pretty sure I know what the re-scaler you were refering to was, but I can't see the video until I try the newest build like you suggested.

----------------
Listening to: Theme
                    / Bryyo

via FoxyTunes
/)//w//(\

rabid_fox

I went through five minutes of "Hmm" before settling into comfortable browsing again. I like it.

Oh dear.

Faerie Alex

Right, all three computers I use are running Firefox 3.0.1 now, and I only had issues with one. I update on my Windows XP computer...fine. Computer running Vista...also fine. G4 running Mac Os 10.5.4...we think that some incompatible add-on I downloaded (a bunch of them seem to be incompatible now) somehow caused the other add-ons to stop working, and Firefox refused to either install or maybe acknowledge that it had installed updates to add-ons. My dad fixed it somehow though.

I must say that the collective multiple page back/forward button is interesting.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Suwako

The only problem I have with firefox is on XP and it is a slight display error in with the frames of the dropdown menu's shadow sometimes doesn't disappear after releasing it from clicking, it can be solved by going over the again, still it can be annoying  :3

It works fine for vista, if only vista itself would work like that  :U

shadowterm

I've managed to fix flash by re-downloading it. It probably wasn't updating. (Maybe it doesn't update at all, and I was careless.) I'm currently installing the newest quicktime if that solves my other errors.

EDIT: The reason I didn't do this sooner was my download error, I had to use the plug-in 'down them all' to bypass whatever was screwing it up.

EDIT 2: Youtube still doesn't work, either because flash isn't up to date enough, as youtube claims, or java is disabled, which to my knowledge it isn't.
/)//w//(\

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: shadowterm on July 21, 2008, 08:01:19 PM
EDIT 2: Youtube still doesn't work, either because flash isn't up to date enough, as youtube claims, or java is disabled, which to my knowledge it isn't.
I know that Youtube will work with either flash 8 or 9, but when you get that message, it generally means Javascript is disabled(Tools>options, content tab, make sure "enable Javascript" IS checked). If that doesn't work, try installing and creating a new profile from scratch.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

shadowterm

Yeah, my entire C: drive is full of gods knows what, so I'll probably just reformat my drives and start fresh.
/)//w//(\

Zorro

Wait for about 6 months of bug fixes.  It is called the bleeding edge of technology for a REASON, let someone else do the bleeding.

DarkAudit

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 19, 2008, 05:35:37 PM
I've noticed that since Debian Lenny updated to FF3, my browsers - all my browsers - are less stable, and tend to crash randomly while I'm using them.

This is less than optimal, since I have 4 windows and 15 tabs open in Firefox, and 4 windows and 16 tabs open in Epiphany. Plus whatever I happen to be opening when it crashes.

On the up side, they've been reasonably good about saving the session and re-opening it.

That sounds really... odd. I'd expect that Epiphany and FF wouldn't share much common code outside standard GNOME libraries that would affect browsing like that. Is Konqueror as unstable, too?
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

llearch n'n'daCorna

I don't know, I didn't use konq before, so I don't have a baseline of comparison.

Usually the whole app closes when I close a window - I _think_ it's just when using the mouse, and not when using ^W, but I couldn't confirm that.

Note that I'll often (like, daily) open 20+ tabs, wait for them to load, and then close them all. Usually from http://llearch.net/me/webcomics.html ...

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 24, 2008, 10:43:58 AM
Note that I'll often (like, daily) open 20+ tabs, wait for them to load, and then close them all. Usually from http://llearch.net/me/webcomics.html ...

I know that this is slightly off topic, but you like Irregular Webcomic too? And Darths & Droids? Dude, I take back anything bad I've ever thought about you!
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

DarkAudit

Quote from: Jairus on July 24, 2008, 10:47:24 AM

I know that this is slightly off topic, but you like Irregular Webcomic too? And Darths & Droids? Dude, I take back anything bad I've ever thought about you!

CAD's on that list. Speaking as a member of both Panda Attack and the Halfpixel forums, that's an automatic Epic Fail.  :mwaha

Jairus

Quote from: DarkAudit on July 24, 2008, 01:55:47 PM

CAD's on that list. Speaking as a member of both Panda Attack and the Halfpixel forums, that's an automatic Epic Fail.  :mwaha

He also has Legostar Gallactica, Ozy and Millie, Questionable Content, User Friendly, Girl Genius, Dr. McNinja, Order of the Stick, 8Bit Theatre, xkcd... I can forgive him for CAD.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

DarkAudit

Quote from: Jairus on July 24, 2008, 02:02:52 PM

He also has Legostar Gallactica, Ozy and Millie, Questionable Content, User Friendly, Girl Genius, Dr. McNinja, Order of the Stick, 8Bit Theatre, xkcd... I can forgive him for CAD.

I can accept that the combined awesome of Girl Genius and Dr. McNinja can overcome the suck that is CAD.

But just barely.  >:3

(That B^U is still a Bad Person is a discussion for another thread.)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Have you looked at that list, DA?

It's fairly inclusive. in fact, there's fairly few of the big webcomics out there that aren't on the list already.

bill

this is a v. smart person

shadowterm

Okay, so I'm borrowing one of my dad's leet gaming rigs, and amazingly FF3 works better on XPx64 than vista. Whatever the problem was, it was obscure. Anyhow, this thread can be deleted if seen necessary by admins.
/)//w//(\