The Mad God's Masque and Bellicose Ball (IC) (M)

Started by Cogidubnus, July 23, 2008, 09:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pagan

Nak had never been around servants, especially those of nobles, but he thought that they were normally more... reserved than the chatty frog ahead of him. The ovine wondered if the being expected or even wanted an answer, considering the speed of his questions and lack of quiet between them. When finally they arrived at Nak's room, he entered and said, "No, thank you. You've given me all necessary assistance."
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Shadrok

Stepping out of the carriage Aruk places the money in the driver's hand then picks up his two bags. As the carriage hurries back to the station Aruk looks up at the inn.
"Not bad, not bad at all." He says as he enters the inn

Almost as soon as he enters he is greeted by the inn's staff.

"Mite I ask sir, what is your name?" the innkeeper says with a smile and a clip board in hand.

"Aruk Donzah." Aruk replies

The innkeeper snaps his fingers and a feline bellhop steps to his side. Aruk immediately notices that the cat has a small set of horns.

"Take Mr. Aruk and his bags to..." but before the Innkeeper could finish Aruk stops him.

"Thank you for the gesture but I'll take my own bags, if you don't mind."

The innkeeper looks a little puzzled at Aruk but then accepts his decision.

"Very well then, show Mr. Donzah to his room on the 5th floor." The innkeeper says with a some what irritated smile.

Azlan

Kiet's initial response to the mouse was merely a lopsided grin, but the chap was rather pleasant so he was quick to warm up to him.

The ringtailed cat fell in behind Aytch and at the mention of his mother he chuckled a little bit, "aye, my mother has quite an interesting list of friends and ruling her own country does get her into a lot of parties..."

In Kiet's mind, images of his mother Illura, the prime minister of Trent, a karaoke machine and lots of fire drifted through and he chuckled again.

"still I wonder why I have been invited, unlike my mother, I am merely an Academy Professor of Magic... no one important really, not anymore at any rate.  Still, it should be interesting."

As they neared the carriage Aytch had waiting, Kiet signaled to the retainers he had with him.  Their leader, a female clouded leopard Cubi, nodded and snapped her fingers at the bronze golem that carried the luggage.  The automaton morphed, rearranging its mechanical parts to form a small vehicle very much like that of a VW Type 82 Kuebelwagen.  It had only enough room for the retainers and the luggage, and now that he had transporation of his own, he wanted to make sure the others could keep up.

He turns back to the mouse, "Aytch, what can you tell me of this Scarlet Masque?  Oh, and who was that which just left there?"  Kiet pointed to the carriage which Aytch had just gave a brief glance to and then 'shivered from the cold'.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

SpottedKitty

Andrace's ears perked up noticeably when the fox mentioned the name "Icewing". She glanced at the gilded confection of a coach just then leaving the station's car park. "So it's Herself, is it?" she said, half to herself. "An' one o' her relatives, looks like. 'Kay, I'll be ready whenever she wants me."

She took the card with a raised eyebrow. Nothing had been mentioned about arrangements for tonight: considering the crowds arriving just on this train (plus, she was slightly alarmed to realise, a very large Gryphon looming over the station building), she'd expected to have to hunt for a bed for the night.

She grinned cheerfully when the fox gave his name. "Pleased t' meetcha, H'ratio. Th' name's Andrace Kithara, o' th' Kithara Pride." She grabbed his hand and gave it a firm shake. Horatio might have been a couple of inches the taller of the two, but Andrace was possibly a little heavier, and it was all muscle, so her grip on the fox's hand wasn't quite powerful enough to dislocate any of the small bones. Before he could react to her letting go, the lioness had twirled him round and pointed him towards the remaining carriages with the aid of a friendly pat between the shoulderblades that almost made him splutter. "C'mon then, let's get t' this Firebloom Inn an' see if it's got anythin' decent t' drink!" She settled her backpack more firmly over her shoulder and strode off along the platform, kicking up the drifted snow, towing Horatio along in her wake.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

bill

Outside the station, Goss was quickly making somewhat of a scene, staring at the two armed military bodyguards outside his assigned car.

"You have uniforms on. And rifles.", Goss said to the guards, after staring at them for the better part of ten seconds.

The guards looked at each other, not knowing what Goss meant. One spoke up.

"Sir. If you wou-"

"Do I have a uniform on?", Goss interrupted, patted to his dark blue suit, and black overcoat.

"No sir. Bu-"

"I do not have a uniform on.", Goss interrupted again. "I was given very, very clear instructions to keep this low-key. I am not to state my position unless asked explicitly. I am not to wear military attire of any kind, unless I am to appear in a military function. I am under the impression that you were given the same instructions."

The guard shifted uncomfortably, as Goss continued.

"We have no relations with this nation at all. We certainly do not have any treaty stating that we may ferry in armed troops here when we please. And yet, you show up here, in a crowded goddamn public area, with clearly marked military uniforms, and carrying rifles?"

The second guard finally spoke up. "Sir, we were given specific instructions by Central Command to-"

"Typical. I assume they want the local heads to know, and they're using their most expendable to do it?" Goss shook his head, staring at the sky. "Absolutely typical, right?"

"Sir, I don't th-"

"I assume you have lodging for me?"

The first guard, finally confident of something that had been done right, spoke again.

"Yes sir, Firebloom Inn, top-notch room, all paid for. Absolute hell to get a room at that place, incidentally, sir."

"I believe it." Goss spit out a piece of tobacco on the snow below him, and stared at the scene around him for the first real time. Just as quickly, he brushed past the guards around the car door, and stepped in, the guards following after a few seconds. The car drove away, following the other cars and coaches out of the car park. A few minutes later, Goss, with his guards, arrived at the inn, Goss handing his bags to the guards.

"Take this to my room. I need some air."

The guards left, as Goss popped another piece of tobacco in his mouth. Finding no bench, he simply sat on the curb, staring at the coaches at they arrived and departed, checking out of mere curiosity for anyone, or anything unusual.

Cogidubnus

Aruk's trek through the the hotel revealed that the place was much nicer than one might have expected. The black, glass doors parted to reveal deep-colored rosewood steps that led up onto the floor proper of the hotel. Evergreens and early-flowering plants covered everything, some placed in troughs that provided pathways throughout the first floor, and others simply hanging from the ceilings or growing on the walls themselves, purple-flowering ivy that spiraled up the the wooden walls until, high above, they reached the true ceiling of the place. It was built atrium-style, with each floor open the one below it in the center, with only air from the floor to roof. If one craned their neck very high, a glass mural of a rose could be seen, painted high above. Glass railings ringed around each floor, and from the bottom, it was impossible to see more than a few people milling about, and vague, indistinct shapes of the beginnings of hallways and the occasional picture.

The first floor itself, however, excepting for a few troughs of flowers to provide definition, was largely open. Secreted to the right was the check-in desk, with a few people in-line and busily claiming reservations already. A bit past that was a sitting area, with a huge stone fireplace roaring warmly. Every now and again, a ember would pop into the air, giving the vaguest shape of a bloom before it faded. Leather armchairs and animal skins provided most of the seating arrangements. To the left, tucked behind a veritable wall of flowers and glass, was the hotel bar and restaurant. It seemed to be doing a brisk business, with dozens of patrons already dining and drinking, from white-clad stoats to black-clad wolves.

There was magic in this place. The enchantments alone, to keep flowers alive in this climate and season, and to provide the subtle illusions near open flame, must have cost a fortune.

The elevators were elegant, if plain boxes of mirrors. The fifth floor was much like the first in style, and much less crowded too. Making it to his room was not a great ordeal.
The room itself was something special. The cost of the hotel was exorbitant for a reason, and each room was exquisite. Plush, wine red carpets covered the room wall-to-wall, with a large bed set slightly higher than the rest of the room at an optimal point for viewing through a subtly-installed skylight. Although it wasn't the top floor, Aruk somehow had a perfect view of the sky above, milky clouds and gray skies all. A quick search revealed a full kitchen, a jacuzzi in the bathroom, a television hidden behind a wall, and a minibar that hardly deserved the insult of mini.

He found himself staring at the balcony access and the magnificent view of the Castle, when something tugged at him. Perhaps it was the years of martial training, the years of attention to detail, but for some reason he couldn't quite place, something was wrong with the view, as beautiful as it was. He could see out perfectly - his airman's training even taught him to recognize the old remains of a large campground outside the castle, but still - something was out of place. Perhaps it was something with the glass.

LL's own trip to the hotel was uneventful. Trudging up the steps, Mel was beginning to be afraid that she might never escape, when quite out of the blue, someone called her name.
"Mel!"

She twisted her head around in an attempt to see who was calling her name, of course, when she noticed someone waving a black hat with a silver band behind one of the walls of plants.
LL seemed not to notice, storming dutifully forward as her retainers and Walter strove to keep up. Mel was fairly certain the man trying to hide on the other side of the fireplace was the owner of the hotel - they'd met before, a few times before he ran it and they were talking to his grandfather about the proper way to serve champagne. Grandmother seemed to be making due with the assistant manager - something about vagrants outside spitting tobacco on everyone's shoes.

"Mel! She's not looking!" If she'd had them, Mel's ears would have twitched. She could make out a wolf's face grinning between the petunias now, drink set aside, putting his hat firmly back on his head.

"A'ye, I know a way." the rabbit said to the succubus a wide grin on his face. "Be a duchess." he laughed not unkindly, and leaned forward instead. "My best advice, though, is get the carriage before the cocoa. Or get the rickshaw. Less people like the open air in the cold."
He was about to say more, when another customer brushed up behind the vampire bat, handing over a crumpled bill and a bit of loose change, and the rabbit's attention was snagged away. It seemed that she was holding up a line, and already the pool of available transportation was dwindling.

Aytch flashed a grin, eyes sparkling. "That'd be the dragon lady herself, sah." he said, opening a door for Kiet. "As you know, sir, the Scarlet Masque is an entertainment ball with the purpose of promoting unity, friendship, and having a grand old time. Officially speaking, sir, it's a tremendous social honor." he said, touching his nose. "Unofficially speaking, half the people here know that dragon lady there is the anonymous hostess, and they are here as ambas'dors to the Clan of Icewing. Or...customers."
The little mouse grinned again, nodding his head towards her quickly-receding carriage. "She's the scariest thing I've ever had the pleasure to meet, sir, and she doesn't say two words to me. So, Illura's boy - he gets the fine treatment. No offense to you sir, of course. Your mother truly is a nice lady, and a pleasure it is to make your acquaintance, sir." he tipped his hat again, and waited for the ringtailed cat to make his way into the waiting transport.

Horatio merely smiled. "Lead the way, please." he said, gesturing with his hand toward the pool of waiting carraiges and rickshaws. Sunglasses slid down to reveal sea-green eyes for a moment. They were clearly amused. "I'll have to insist on moderation I'm afraid, ma'am. The mistress will need you functioning whe - but, she'll talk to you about all that."
He was about to turn to follow when Andrace grabbed his arm, and somehow managing not to squawk like a chicken, was towed along by the excitable lioness towards a free coach, stumbling through the snow.

Elizabeth was struck first by how little anyone seemed to notice her - despite her hiding all of these years, no enemies crawled out of the woodwork to claw out her throat, no memories of the past tugged at her in the face of anyone around her. The only clue that anyone knew who she really was had been burned up in that letter. Fighting through to get her luggage, even, no-one had paid her any more mind than any other passenger.
She might have nearly relaxed, had not someone tapped her on her shoulder. She heard a smooth, handsome voice speak to her, that nearly made the jackal jump out of her skin. She turned to look at a handsome, chiseled face framed by long hair and huge ears, that looked so very much like another face had before years of the forge and battle had added scars and burns to it.
"Excuse me. Do you know where I can find a hotel here?" the stranger said. Eyes, friendly, devoid of recognition, stared at Elizabeth questioningly.

"You!"

Jeremiah turned to see the Badger from before peeking halfway inside the room. "I thought I told you to get those potato peelings up an hour ago! Hop to it!" he said, disappearing from the doorway.
Jeremiah might have raised an eyebrow, until the Badger appeared again, almost in reverse of how he left. "Wait! Nevermind that. There's a painting we need to hang in the main ballroom, large portrait thing, covered in velvet. It's in storage right now, we need you to go get it. Down three levels, past two hallways, down again, third door on the right. It'll be unlocked."
The Badger paused for a moment, as if waiting for a response, and then without another word disappeared.

The room itself was nice - stone floors, animal skin carpets, and a richly made bed were among the amenities. The view from the window was spectacular, showing the small town of Damaske nestled amongst the mountains like a colored gem in the snow.
The demon realized, however, that eventually staring out might get a bit boring. The library might be a good place to pass the time.

Goss should have known better than to try and get some rest. After some snooty upper-class tart gave him a filthy look after he'd spat a gob in her path, and he started to feel the trickle of snow in his underpants, he felt something vibrating quite violently beneath his feet. He was about to stand, when about two paces in front of him, the ground simply erupted in a mass of dirt, stone, steel, and steam.
A great giant boiler was standing in the road, and fairly quickly he could see a small insect peering about from a newly-opened hatch.

Mel Dragonkitty

The younger dragon, upon hearing her name, was trying to discretely look around without her grandmother noticing her lack of attention. Then Mel realized that LL was on a roll and had moved directly from scolding the poor assistant manager about allowing vagrants to loiter out front to her annual diatribe on the superiority of the original incarnation of the hotel. The elder dragon wouldn't notice much while extolling the virtues of the pseudo-gothic monstrosity the current hotel replaced. Taking her chance Mel slipped through the wall of leaves separating the bar from the lobby, changing to her slightly harder to spot snow leopard form as she did.  "Cog! How wonderful to see you again," she smiled at the wolf. "I never expected to see a friendly face here in the frozen middle of nowhere."
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Boog

Jeremiah attempted to stammer out a reply, but the badger vanished too fast. Crappy memory, unheard of ability to vanish when you have a question... All in all, best boss I've had in a while. The frog sighed and made his way down the indicated hallways. Ah well, could be worse. At least I'm working with art. Wonder what sort of thing it is? DaVinci? Haines? He snickered to himself, Probably something uptight from the rennaisance era. I'll take a look under the velvet and see what they're gonna be yammering on about and boring the poor guests with. Rich folks shouldn't be allowed to buy art, they just use it to show off...

SpottedKitty

Andrace tossed an amused glance over her shoulder at Horatio as she slogged through the snow. "O' course I will," she said cheerfully. "Y' think the family sets just anyone loose in th' Pride half-trained? Moderation in all things, m' dad taught me... Includin' moderation, m' mum usually adds, just b'fore she pounces him. I'll go easy 'til this meetin' with Herself. After that, though..." Her toothy grin said everything without a single word.

They were out in the car park now. Andrace strode quickly towards the few remaining vehicles, keeping a cautious eye on the Gryphon, which seemed to be playing with a cargo container from the train. She could see one or two people standing, apparently unworried, at its feet, half hidden by the flurries of snow the huge Creature kicked up.

As the lioness approached one of the rickshaws she fished a coin out of her belt pouch and flipped it towards the driver. "Th' Firebloom Inn," she said, tossing her backpack into the rickshaw and climbing in after it. She carefully hid a calculating, thoughtful look as she beckoned Horatio to follow her and encouragingly patted the seat at her side. Th' handsome hunk o' foxy nearly let somethin' slip there, she thought. Wonder if I can pump him for more information b'fore th' meetin'...?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tim raised her eyebrows at Ryn's lack of discomfort, then shrugged, and followed her up. Once there, she padded to the front of the container, then looked up at the huge gryphon overhead, looking down interestedly at what was going on between his paws.

"Okay, Rover. Up!"

Rover promptly leaped into the air, grabbing all four corners of the container on his way off the ground - with impressive acceleration.

"Gently! Gently, dammit!" Tim howled, flattened against the top of the container. "You have a passenger!" Pulling herself to her feet, she glanced, worriedly, over her shoulder to see Rynkura crouching, unconcerned, and apparently enjoying the breeze. The smaller gryphon blinked, then a horrid thought crossed her mind, and she turned around to see the rapidly approaching village clock tower. "MORE HEIGHT!" she screamed, in panic, and dismissed the unusual tigress from her immediate mind, in favour of directing the larger gryphon around some of the more immediately breakable scenery; particularly those bits that would break after breaking her...

Some few minutes later, after much stress and adrenaline (on Tim's part), and lots of fun (on Rover's), they arrived in the general vicinity of the inn, and Rover managed to place the container, with the two on it, reasonably gently on the street outside of the hotel, and was looking around curiously at the small - to him - creature sitting on the curb, watching them.

Tim tapped on his arm, to gain his attention. "Hey, big guy. Watch the box. k?" Rover glanced down at the container, and nodded. "Anyone messes with it, sic em. ok?" Another nod. "Good boy." A tail wag, bending a nearby street sign, and an ear flick.

Tim turned to Rynkura. "Well, here we are, Mistress Msh'taan. Apologies for the slightly rough ride, there; better than some, but still... Shall we go see if we can organise accommodation?"
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Azlan

Kiet scratched his chin as his eyes followed the carriage that held the ancient one, "so that is the matron of Clan Icewing in that carriage."

As Kiet climbed into the coach he considered what his mentor Hy'Rael, from the Academy of Sorcery, had mentioned of the dragons of Icewing.  He was forced to admit to himself that he knew little, which would place him at a disadvantage.  Social events of this magnitude were very much like war, with intelligence gathering, gathering together allies, engagements of words and wits, and objectives that needed to be taken.  None of which he really wanted to become involved in, he just wished for a good time and the chance to meet some interesting people without separate agendas.

Another disadvantage he could count was that he really had no idea what objective he should be seeking with clan Icewing, his mother did not send him with an agenda.  The weight of this Ball had him a bit frazzled, so much so that he did not notice Aytch had carefully placed Kiet's rather large, fluffy tail in the carriage and closed the door.  He was moving by the time he returned from his daze.

The ringtail huffed and popped his head out the window to speak to Aytch, "I know you may think me daft, but by what name does our anonymous hostess go by... I was taught the ancient ways of sorcery by an ancient dragon called Hy'Rael and he spoke at length about the families of the great dragons, but it has been a millenia or two since I have considered them.  The place where I teach is somewhat... removed... from the daily life of the world."

Pagan

Nak stood for a moment in the fine room. It finally felt as if a long journey had been completed and the destination had been reached. He strecthed out his arms and wings, then took a deep breath. The demon placed the luggage holding his formal attire and mask upon the bed. That frog had mentioned a library and Nak decided seeing the books a castle such as this held would be an excellent thing to do. "After all, musty old books hold plenty of interesting secrets. I might find a good project for when this affair is finished."
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Shadrok

With his hand on his chin Aruk stared at the castle as he tried to figure out what it was that bugged him so much about the view.

"It kind of reminds me of steam coming off a hot road, and If it wasn't for the snow still being on the castle grounds I would simply dismiss it as some sort of heat spell, but even that doesn't settle this strange feeling I have."

Deciding to give it a rest for now and try and ease his mind Aruk takes off his jacket and sits it and his cane on the bed, then tries the TV. When he turns it on all he gets is static.

"Humph, figures." he then turns it off and sits down on the bed.

"That's just going to keep bugging me it seems." Aruk says as he looks back towards the balcony then turns his attention away and picks up his cane.

"I'm starting to think bringing you along was one of my better judgments." He says as he looks at his cane.

"Not to mention one of your better judgments Great Granddad." He pulls on the cane's grip to reveal a well polished blade with the name "Nicodemus Donzah" and several ruins written on the blade.

e_voyager

Aten had followed the dragons to there hotel. they were staying sat a much nicer place then himself but from what he had gather listening to those around them they were some kind of royalty. Curious. He'd almost give up the surveillance as the elder dragon had engaged in a seemingly endless conversation with one of the hotel staff then something unexpected happened. The younger dragon looked around and slipped away. Where she disappeared too he wasn't sure  but it seemed that a snow leopard had taken her place . That is unless this was her other form. the one used to travel among beings virtually unnoticed.  She was talking to a wolf but he could not her what they were saying so he walked closer trying not to look like he was creeping. after all with so many people arriving he could be anyone ad so could they. if asked about what he was up to... well he knew exactly what he would say. they truth worked so much better then lies after all, even when it was only half told.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Aisha deCabre

The ride was indeed a rough one...but for Rynkura, it only proved to be more exciting than a dull carriage ride on the ground.  She kept her body low in the dent of the package, holding onto her staff with one hand and otherwise keeping hold with friction and with very little wind resistance on her side.  Of course, Rover did things as expected (which meant almost crashing into things and perhaps looking onto his comrade's fear in satisfaction), but as long as he got them there, all the better.

After a few minutes, the hotel was in sight.  Even from the air it looked like it bore an atmosphere of elegance like no other.  People that looked no more like multi-colored dots milled about the hotel entrance, nearby on the street, and around the building in general.  The tigress figured however that many of the guests for the Ball were already inside.  Well, I certainly cannot wait to see what kinds of personalities that this place brings, she thought with a hum.

Not without a few stares to accompany him, Rover landed carefully near to the hotel with the package and the unique passengers of another smaller gryphon and a white tiger who looked much like a sorceress with her garb and staff, except for the telltale Healer colors.  Still, perhaps they weren't the strangest things there yet.

Rynkura nodded to her travel companion as she gathered herself up and leaped onto solid ground, brushing off any debris from the flight that might have gotten on her clothing and hair.  "Do not worry about the roughness, young Tim, it was indeed a more enjoyable ride than most, thank you."  She turned for a moment and spared a bow to Rover.  "And thank you, for allowing me to travel with you."

Turning towards the building, Rynkura took a second to straighten up a little more before walking towards the doors.  "Yes, let us do so...accommodations are indeed a good idea right now.  Hrm, I may have to find out what time of day it is, perhaps there is also time for a meal."

The interior was indeed more than what was expected.  The beauty and magic of the hotel was definitely not lost on the hidden angel, at least, as she couldn't keep her eyes off of the many decorations and clever illusory things while heading towards the front desk to secure a room, paying little attention to the other guests unless something told her that she really needed to.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Cogidubnus

"Like a bad penny, Mels." the wolf said, putting his hat and glasses on the table and flashing a grin.

The bar and restaurant area was about what one would expect. Groups of booths and tables in a large open space with a bar area on one end, with deep-grained wooden floors and large windows. A bouquet of flowers was placed on every black tablecloth along with a wax candle sculpted in the shape of a rose. Waitresses and waiters scurried from table to table and place to place, taking and delivering orders with practiced efficiency. A dark grand piano stood in one corner of the room, silent for the time being, although the place didn't sound empty. It had the quiet murmur one sometimes associated with places of high-class, although still yet warm.

Cog appeared to be nursing a glass of something amber-colored - his napkin, set to his side, was still folded in an ornate bloom, making it clear he hadn't eaten or didn't plan to. Friendly yellow eyes flashed around the room once, the wolf turning his head, and then returned to staring at the leopardess.
"How's the old battleaxe, then? Still making...ah. I didn't know you'd gotten a retainer, Mels." he nodded behind the leopardess at the grey feline standing just behind the white leopard, listening quietly.

The servant who'd guided Nak to his room seemed to vanish fairly quickly, leaving the demon on his own. The thud of his footsteps quickly descended into a lovely quiet, the snowfall outside absorbing all the sounds that might have come from the village - the wintertime's habit of deadening sound was strangely peaceful, despite the chill of the stone room. As night set, it would only get colder. A fireplace, set into the side of the room near the bed, was stocked with both wood and tinder for when he was ready to bed down.

Horatio sat down and straightened his tie. "Your parents sound like wise people." he said, deadpan voice carefully masking a grin. His sea-green eyes disappeared behind his shades as he pushed them back up. "It shouldn't take the lady more than an hour or two to be ready to take visitors. Nothing wrong with a little something to take the chill of the bones, either."

The rickshaw driver caught Andrace's coin in one feathery claw, the quadripedal gryphon giving the lioness a quick salute before trotting off. The harness creaked for just a moment as the wheels struggled out of the rut they'd dug into the snow, until the slush finally gave way and they were off.
The air was a bit chill as they went, big wet snowflakes falling on the both of them, although the white fox seemed unbothered by the winter weather.

"Your first time at the ball?" he said as they pulled up to the large black glass building. The gryphon had set them down a little farther than normal from the hotel - there appeared to be some sort of altercation up near the entrance involving a massive gryphon C sitting on a box, and some sort of mechanical boiler-looking contraption tearing up the street. The man on the curb didn't seem too bothered by it, but it was always best to take precautions...

If he hadn't been busy driving, Aytch might have done a double take. Instead, he frowned, and then tilted his head just slightly in thought.
"I've only ever heard people call her "Lady" or "Mistress"." he called back. "Or... wait. Once I heard one of the dragons with her call her 'Luna'."

The ride was fairly quick, Aytch pulling the carriage up across the street from the massive gryphon and it's boxcar, shaking his head as he pulled the door open for Kiet. "Wish I could help you out more, sir. I don't speak much to most of the nobs, they don't speak to me. Her, she don't speak much to -anybody-. Ehrm..." Aytch paused, shifting on his foot for a moment. "Illura told you what the Icewings do though, yeah?"

After waiting in line briefly, Rynkura found herself being helped by a well-dressed tiger, the waistcoated feline shuffling and stacking a set of papers as he greeted her with a warm, fanged smile.
"Welcome to the Firebloom Inn. Do you have a reservation?" he said easily. Despite the general busyness and hustle, the clerk seemed unstressed and friendly, waiting for the healer's reply.

Stygian

The vampire bat nodded at first, then gave the rabbit a critical glance when she heard his answer, and looked away. She gave the queue behind her a glance, with obvious surprise. Perhaps she shouldn't have been trying to block things out quite so much. Either way, she was wasting time, so she took her cup with a mild touch of a frown and coloration to her face, and walked off, sipping the warm liquid in short gulps, the steam and scent hot and comfortable on her face.
   Still, it was with quite some hesitation, though not overly apparent, that the bat walked out and called up a carriage. She knew she was acting stupidly from more than one point of view. She knew that it would perhaps - probably - be better for her simply to turn around and disappear as thoroughly and lengthily as she could. It was only gut instinct, and a feeling of doubt as fleeting as the thoughts in and around her mind, that told her that doing such a thing would not help. That she had to deal with this issue face to face, whatever it was.
   'To the castle, please', she said, thinking it rather obvious to expect that the driver should know what she meant. Not that she paid that much heed either. Distractions and trouble filled her mind.
   She really was not comfortable with that feeling.

Mel Dragonkitty

Mel grinned back at the wolf. It was very good to see someone she knew in the area. She had not expected to meet up with anyone but the normal stiff gaggle of royalty and celebrities that got invited to the ball. Cog started to ask about her grandmother then commented on her servant. The dragon turned and looked over the grey and orange feline waiting behind her.

"He is not one of the ones we dragged down from the Fort. He must be with one of the other groups." 

Then she addressed the unknown cat. "If you have a request of Family Icewing I am probably not the best one to address it to." She smiled a bit, "Walter, the tall silver with a  notebook constantly in his hand, can line you up an appointment with Grandmother."
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Aisha deCabre

As she stood in line behind and in front of many individuals who indeed looked as if they could afford to rest at the lavish hotel, Rynkura had a look at her surroundings.  They really kept the place clean it seemed, for there was a very pure scent in the air that perhaps either had something to do with the many plants, or with the sense of magic.  It was comfortable without being too posh and without really reeking of the overly-rich.  Although, looking about the lobby, she had to wonder what was with the individual sneaking around among some of the potted plants.

She shook her head.  How much am I willing to bet myself that there will be stranger creatures than just Rover about...?

Finally, the robed white feline was up next.  With her pack and staff in possession, she approached the counter to note another of the panthera tigris variety greeting her in a most polite manner.  Even when normally one exudes an air of irritation at this number of guests, Rynkura deemed herself fortunate to have not had to deal with one of them.

"I do, yes.  It should be in the name Msh'taan, good sir."
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tim leaped down from the container, landing lightly beside Rynkura, and, after checking to make sure Rover was staying put, glanced up the street where some large metal contraption had dug it's way up into the air. She frowned, and looked up at Rover.

"Don't go play with that, Rover. You don't know where it's been."

Rover looked over at it, sniffed expressively, and blew his disgust at how muddy the object was. Plainly he wasn't interested; a fact which made Tim somewhat relieved. Failing to consider that this left Rover free to investigate other attractions (like the guy sitting at the curb, or the rickshaw pulling up up the street) she turned and followed Rynkura into the hotel. It was... slightly more upmarket than she expected, but that wasn't a huge deal; after all, it wasn't like Rover could fit through the doors, so she wasn't too fussed what the inside of the building looked like.

While waiting, she noticed various folk crowding the lobby; some waiting in line at the counter, and a few over in an eating area; some classy tables behind a few decorative ferns, that sort of thing. Nobody she recognised, but that wasn't anything unusual. It wasn't like they got invited to too many soirées or to hobnob with the hoi-polloi... Still, that was more or less what they were here for.

Her thoughts were broken by the quiet, attention getting cough of the clerk in front of her. He looked her up and down - or, at least, down and further down - and almost visibly shuddered at the slightly worn, cheap, and somewhat tattered clothing she was wearing (Rover had a certain amount of wear and tear on clothing, and Tim was more comfortable slouching about, anyway - she wasn't looking forward to the ball too much, but needs must). His voice, when he spoke, had all the warmth and friendliness of a week dead fish, and managed, in that oh so correct, supercilious, upper class British way, to imply that he'd rather lick the dung from the sole of his boot. "May I be of assistance?"

Tim blinked. "Oh, sorry. I was just thinking. Er... I understand you have stables here. I was wondering where they were, and how big."

He looked down his nose at her. "How ... large?" He looked her over again. "I can say without fear of contradiction or mistake that you will almost certainly fit in there."

Tim smiled uncertainly. "Oh, I'll fit. I'm just wondering about my friend outside."

The concierge smiled. "Oh?"

"Er, yeah." Tim hooked a thumb over her shoulder, at the window - where Rover's huge eye was looking in, curiously watching the goings on. And mostly filling the window.  "He's a little bit taller than I am. Have you got space that'll fit him?"

"... " The clerk gaped for a bit, then visibly pulled himself together. "I'm not sure. Let me see what we can sort out, Ma'am."

Tim nodded, and waited. The change in the clerk's demeanour was gratifying, if mildly irritating, but pretty much expected. And hopefully that would be their accommodation sorted.

Now if only they could get through the next few days without eating anyone important...

techmaster-glitch

Karazkt took his eyes off Damaske Castle to observe his surroundings. Of course, he already knew where everything was with the vibration sensetivity of his antennae, it took vision to actually observe something. He looked down on a surfacer to the left of his mech, reclining on a bench. Most unusual. Karazkt couldn't seems to tell what kind of surfacer this one was. There was nothing that indicated his functional position. Karazkt doubted he was a Worker, Workers usually ate or slept during their designated off-times. He didn't looked like he had anything in the way of weapons or armor, natural or artificial, so he didn't seem to be a Soldier, despite the fact that it was the Soldiers who usually stood guard or patrolled whenever they weren't attacking intruders or invading another hive. A Messenger? Maybe...either way, he had to be aware Karazkt was arriving, and since he seemed to be interested in Karazkt instead of going about business, it fit in that he must aslo be Karazk't designate guide.
   Karazkt leaned forward over the edge of his mech's cockpit, looking at Goss with infravision through goggled eyes. "Aarr...Are yyou..." Karazkt shook his head. Cursed surface language. "Are you To be my ezKorT?"

Azlan

Kiet stepped down out of the carriage, into the street and shifted his weight to his left foot as he paused briefly to knock an offending pebble from his shoe.

The ringtail's large tail twitched as he gave Aytch a sideways glance, "but of course I know, they are a very well informed clan and they put that knowledge to very lucrative use.  Additionally, they are known to be very impartial in their dealings, but also honorable.  The Council brokered for information from them very cunningly, hence why my army was able to outmaneuver Mordecai and Ka'rith during the last great war.  However, that is history and I have never dealt directly with the Icewing Clan."

Kiet clasped Aytch's hand and smiled cheerfully at the driver, "thank you for the ride Mister Aytch, may your travels be always swift and safe." 

He paused to regard the contraption that had broken through the road from underneath and nodded to himself.  Kiet had an unusual fascination for mechanical devices and would have investigated, but he thought better of it, the pilot might be a descendant of one of the hives his clan had subjugated to fuel their war machine in the very distant past.  Such things would be at the very least uncomfortable for him.

The golem car carrying his retainers passed by the boiler contraption and found the appropriate spot to park.  His luggage was quickly unloaded and carried into the Inn, while the golem transformed and headed for the stabling yard with the rest of the transportation.

With a final wink to the mouse being, he headed across the street and right past the Gryphon C and boxcar.  The creature was far too interested in the happenings within the lobby, as it could see through the window, to notice one lone cubi.  He paused at the lobby entrance and spent a moment to take in the emotionally charged atmosphere.  "Ah, community!  I so love a diverse environment."

The head retainer, Camoile motioned for him to join her, "sir, please come here before the large... creature tries to eat you."

"nonsense, there are far more interesting things to look at then me.  Come let us check on the reservations."  Kiet enjoyed annoying his mother's retainer, but there was some wisdom in her words.

A convenient servant wandered by with a tray of pastries and upon it was a banana cream filled danish which he plucked from its doily protection with supreme alacrity.

Kiet closed his eyes in anticipation and bit down, taking a quick bite.  He chewed about a bit before scrunching his face up in disappointment, "funny, I can remember more flavor in these... and substance too..."  The ringtail was surprised to find his hands bereft of pastry.

Camoile had deftly snatched the treat away with a wing tentacle and gave a brief motherly shake of her head, "no sir, it is best if you do not."  She deftly placed it back on the doily before the servant was wiser.

Quite chagrined, Kiet turned towards the counter and with a huff came up besides another more reasonably sized Gryphon.  He waited patiently for another clerk to become available.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Rover's eye, it's true, was firmly glued to the window, and - in order to bring his head down to the right point - his forefeet were planted either side of the front door.

However, his other eye turned to watch the ringtail, and associates, saunter up between his legs and into the hotel.

And blinked.

"'Nother kitty, chee." he chirped happily to himself. This game was going to be fun...

Sunblink

Once she made it to the front of the crowd, Elizabeth waited impatiently for her luggage, folding her arms imperiously and looking irate. Spending several centuries in hiding had tempered her tolerance to most inconveniences, but when she was already in a state of anxiety, this was apparently not enough. Elizabeth casted a rather deterrent glare at a nearby, decorative potted plant, drumming her right ring finger in an ingrained habit she had developed over the years, and had yet to eliminate. At least no one seemed to notice her - everyone was too engrossed in their own devices to realize the furious-looking jackal's presence, and those who did see her saw fit to ignore her.

After a while, Elizabeth started to relax, even amidst her irritation that her luggage hadn't arrived yet. Just as she was about to start looking more actively, however, she was startled by someone tapping her on the shoulder. Only years of remaining in disguise prevented Elizabeth from impulsively spinning around and kicking the unfortunate person behind her. Instead, she merely turned around, looking somewhat flat. She wanted to say something like, Oh, what do you want? or This had better be good, but anything rude she had the potential to say died on her tongue in the next moment.

Oh hell, Elizabeth thought with all the dignity she could muster, trying to keep her surprise isolated from her features. She, mostly, succeeded, although she still appeared thunderstruck, to some extent. It was hard not to, seeing as she was confronted with a battle-scarred doppelganger of her late husband. It was almost unbearable. Elizabeth wanted to start cursing, but instead she answered somewhat woodenly. "Yes, you probably to go east down main until you get to cherrywood, take a right, go down cherrywood until you get to oak, and then down oak until you're there..."

Elizabeth could not resist the temptation. Before the other could leave, she asked, "If you don't mind me asking... what is your name?"

~Keaton the Black Jackal

bill

Goss had been staring at the thing that had crashed up through the street in front of him for a while, when the pilot spoke. For a rare instant, Goss was speechless.

"I.. um..."

The pilot continued to stare.

"I..."

Suddenly, behind Goss, a familiar voice spoke up. "Sir?"

Goss rolled his eyes. Damn it all, not these guys again,. "Sir, what the hell i-"

"You are leaving.", Goss calmly spoke. "You and your companion have done enough, take the car, and leave. I am perfectly capable of conducting the rest of this engagement on my own.". The two guards stared at each other, their commander, and the bizarre vehicle in the street. "Sir, I don't think that it w-"

Goss, less calmly, spoke again. "Get the hell out of here, I'm busy." The guards paused for a second, nodded, got into their car, and left. Goss turned back to the pilot.

"Alright." he said. "Who the hell are you?"

SpottedKitty

Andrace just smiled and didn't bother to suppress a contented low, rumbling purr as she leaned against the fox. Because of the chilly wind and drifting snow blowing over the rickshaw's passengers, of course, although she appeared to be as unbothered by the weather as Horatio... besides, the beneficial warming effects of a tail-tip brushed across the fox's ankle might be debatable. An imperceptible bump in the road made her lurch in her seat and throw an arm around his shoulders.

The trip to the hotel was otherwise uneventful, but Andrace's purring broke off suddenly as the rickshaw pulled into a street decorated by a tall, black glass confection of a building. As they approached, the lioness could clearly see the name picked out in glittering gold letters, "Firebloom Inn". She could also see an odd mechanical contraption in the street nearby: it had apparently dug a gaping hole, tunneling up from below. As if that wasn't enough, right outside the hotel...

"Oh frig, it's beaten us here!" Andrace muttered, laying her ears back as she stared at the huge Gryphon looming over the hotel entrance. The same cargo container, by now rather battered-looking, had been deposited neatly at the kerb. She watched the huge Creature anxiously as their rickshaw stopped a short distance away. We should be safe, she thought, our driver's a gryphon as well, he wouldn't leave us here if Somethin' Nasty was about t' happen... I hope.

She was so preoccupied she almost missed what Horatio had said. "First time?" she replied absently. "Ah... tha's right. Heard o' it, o' course, who hasn't? Never thought I'd be invited m' self, though." She climbed out of the rickshaw, hefted her backpack over her shoulder again, and paid the driver. She was just about to turn to Horatio and ask him about the... traffic hazard... when someone hopped out of a carriage, crossed the road and entered the hotel. Right between the Gryphon's forelegs, as it crouched to look in through a window.

"..." Andrace said.

The lioness recovered her composure quickly. Anything that fluffy-tailed shrimp can do... she thought. She snorted, threw her shoulders back, and strode along the pavement towards the hotel entrance. She was almost within diving-through-the-door-to-safety range when she glanced over her shoulder at Horatio. "You comin' or not?" she asked. "It's just a meep!"

Even the most determined advance will pause for thought when faced eye-to-eye with an eye larger than Andrace's entire torso. The Gryphon had twisted his head down and round, and was now staring upside-down into the lioness' face from almost within arm's reach. The first coherent thought to pass through her mind was suddenly remembering that due to last minute repacking, her fresh underwear was at the bottom of her backpack.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Rover turned his head away from the window, and curved it around, and upside down, to look at the incoming lioness. After all, with the ringtailed cat just gone past, he was watching to see if anyone was messing with the container he was supposed to watch.

When she meeped at him, he blinked. And then sniffed her, delicately. Well, as delicately as possible with nostrils maybe a foot across.

And then he blew out, blowing her fur back, and her hair off her shoulders. It took her a moment to realise he was actually saying something.

"Cheee.... Kiiiiitty. Biiig kitty." He grinned at her, slightly disconcertingly since his head was still upside down.

Inside, Tim looked out the window, realised Rover was focusing on something else, caught a glance of what it was, and a horrified look poured across her features. She glanced after where the clerk had gone, muttered something about "it", and headed for the door. She got outside just in time to hear Rover.

"Big kitty play fetch?"

Cogidubnus

"Of course, Ms...Rynkura." he said, still smiling that easygoing smile as he handed the healer her invitation back. "Now, let's see here..." the clerk stared down at a sheet of papers covering his desk, flipping through them quickly. He brushed the bangs from his eyes, papers crackling as he sorted through the mess, trying to flatted the blond strands back enough to let him see. The tiger had contained most of it in a ponytail, but it was apparent the hair had a mind of its own.

"You know, I'll be glad when the old man finally gives in and gets off the paper system." he grinned at the tigress, smartly straightening a bunch from the pile. "You do have a reservation, yes'm, for room 212." He reached into some recess into the desk and pulled out an iron key. It seemed to be becoming more apparent that the owner of the hotel had heard of technology, but other than what he'd been forced to put into the guest's rooms, he had no truck with it.

The key dangled from a keyring, with a black-ink-and-bronze card proclaiming it "Number 212". "You've paid the nights in advance, so you're all checked in. Checkout is from 7:00 to 11:00 sharp, and we hope you have a lovely stay at the Firebloom Inn."

After sending the white tigress on her way, Ray, the clerk, was desperately trying to sort the reservation list into some sort of comprehensible order when Fredrick, the one who normally handled the royalty and suchlike, tapped him on the shoulder. He gave a glance out of the corner of his eye and paused, noting the strangely perturbed expression on the concierge. Strange, in that it was more intimidated and less snooty than usual. Ray waited for a moment, and when he remained quiet, risked a question.
"What?"

The concierge gave him a dour look, and nodded his head behind him, towards the window, where a very large eye was staring inside. Ray looked at it uncomprehendingly, for a moment, until his brain caught up and registered what he was seeing. He blinked, managing somehow to keep his mouth closed, and gave another sideways glance to his fellow employee. Fredrick looked around shiftily.

Ray sighed. "Let me guess. The Gryphon Ministry wasn't joking?" Fredrick nodded slowly, and Ray shook his head. "Right. Well. Hells, it looks even bigger in person. Doesn't that just beat all. Ah..."
The tiger paused. Fredrick stared. Both clerk's expressions were eerily similar. As one, they looked behind themselves, at the dragon lady still giving her yearly lecture to Steph. They shuddered, and starting and stopping, both began to speak at the same time.
"The gryphon's did reserve back in Dec-"
"Normally we'd honor an early res-"
"How could we know it wasn't a jo-"
"We should never have let her rese-"

Both clerks stopped, and glanced at each other, before nodding. Ray spoke. "Normally we'd let them have the pocket room, but...well...it's not that cold outside." A few snowflakes fell on the windows behind them. "We'll make some calls, get some...bedding."
Both clerks nodded. Both reached for the phone, and a heated glance and short scuffle later, Ray walked across the lobby, iron key in hand, and made for the door where the smaller gryphon seemed to have run outside.

Horatio looked up at Rover, his expression somewhere between 'blank' and 'nonplussed', a strange mixture generally only seen on the faces of extremely tired watchmen and highway patrol officers everywhere. As the big thing said something about fetch, the expression tensed, wincing just slightly. Looking over at Andrace, who seemed to be frozen and staring the big lug in the eye, the white fox looked back up to Rover quickly, frowning.
"If you'll just step this way, ma'am." the fox said, grabbing the lioness gently by the arm and quickly but firmly guiding her towards the door, and away from the larger gryphon. "The mistress would prefer you still in one piece, I think..."

"Ah, thank you." the stranger said, starting to walk away. At Elizabeth's next question, however, he paused and looked behind himself, turning around slightly and pushing up wire-frame glasses. "My name is Tobias. People call me Toby." he said, smiling genially. he turned around completely and offered his hand. "There. My introduction." he said with amusement, speaking warmly. "And now, I must have the lady's introduction. And your name is, madam?"

Elyse found the countryside to be simply more of the same - the time spent going through the town nearly negligible in reference to the ten-minute trip she found herself enduring. The road was rough and bumpy, and the driver seemed a yokel, singing to himself most of the way and generally being a nuisance. The scenery, however, was more than breathtaking.
The path was uphill most of the way, and after a brief and somewhat exorbitant remittance, the driver had left, and she found herself quite alone and cold in front of the Castle Damaske.

Iron gates stared at her, twisting with extravagant designs and exquisite workmanship. They were unlocked, it seemed, and a short path led itself to the doors of the keep proper. Still - something about the place bothered her, though she couldn't quite place it.

She could see a figure in one of the upper-level windows to her right, horned and staring out. If it was an omen, it was certainly a very blunt one.

Kiet waited only a moment while one of the clerks, busily talking on the phone and gesturing somewhat emphatically, finished what he was doing and finally made his way towards him. The concierge inclined his head, smiling an oily smile.
"Can I help you, sir?"

techmaster-glitch

Karazkt was a little confused when the surfacer he was focused on spoke to two other surfacers. When he finally responded to Karazkt, he was rather taken aback. Not only was the question unusual in and of itself--hives virtually always knew the identities of planned visitors--but it was also said in a strange tone.
   "I am EG-41-25, Engineer of the hive-ziTy ZizidronaKT." Karazk, as he probed the local pheremones whith his antennae, started to get confused. The 'hive' istelf had it's own distinctive smell, yes, but the people in it seemed to lack their own unifying scent marking them as members of the same hive. How disorganized! Karazkt focused a little more on the man in front of him. Come to think of it, he didn't seem to have the smell of the 'hive' on him very stongly at all.
   "WaiT..." Karazkt muttered.
   Pushing some levers, the mech's engine quieted down but did not stop entirely; it was now on standby. Karazkt then deftly climbed out of the cockpit, down the mech, and dropped in front of Goss. Quickly, he brushed his antennae over the surfacer. There was no doubt about it now.
   "...You are noT of thiz hive." He said simply.

e_voyager

"ah yes " Said the feline a bit upset with himself for letting himself drift too close. Ah well no hope for it now he thought as he stepped to the table recited his prepared dialog not word for word but close enough as there would be no flaws
"i thank you for your consideration but I'm here on other business and in all truth i would not know were to begin in a meeting which such a high ranking noble as your distinguished grandmother." Aten was privately amazed that there was such a gap as grandmother grand daughter. he'd thought that she'd been at least of the younger dragons mothers generation but then that was fine... "please call me  Atem" he said with a smile "and while it may seem strange I'm here taking in the sights and trying to find out about some formal event I've been requested to attend. Pray tell do either of you know about a party as the castle this week?"

he hoped he was not in the preset of mind readers as his safety image of the letter he received  might be pierced and his name  even though he recalled it  as the one he'd given kept trying to shift to it's original format and he couldn't have that just in case.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey