Nighttime Cleaners (IC)

Started by Angel, July 04, 2008, 03:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel

The city was small enough so that it didn't appear in any major news stories. Crime was relatively common, whether it was committed by simple hoodlums or groomed professionals. Most importantly, its residents were wrapped up in their daily lives just enough so that no-one cared to enter the little concrete building, just below ground-level. Even if someone did notice it, the sign stating "Black Sky Nighttime Cleaning Service" in ornate white letters on a starry black background convinced them that going in during the day was pointless. And no-one ever came at night, either.

It was so perfect that the building's new owner, standing inside the lobby, almost felt like laughing. He settled for a contented, amused purr.

The man in question, a blond feline with rather long hair and slightly strange attire, examined his surroundings, his eyes shifting beneath his dark glasses. The lobby was a little bare, with beige paint on the walls, marble tile on the floor, a potted plant in the corner, a simple black doormat, and a few cleaning products on shelves in the back in case someone took the sign seriously. The only thing of any real importance to the cat was the desk in the middle of the room. It was a basic black office desk, with a swivel chair for him and two basic desk chairs with seat cushions for his expected visitors. In the desk drawers were his plans, a few financial papers, and a laptop containing carefully hidden and protected data on the real purpose of the building.

Oh, he was running a cleaning service. But the mess he was cleaning was a social stain, not a physical one.

He, Khimara Transphermi, was finally going to taste success. No more of his father's connections to help him; from now on, his deeds would be the ones whispered about over dinner tables in fear and reverence.

He sat himself down in the swivel chair, fanning his own tail and the ones on his coat out behind him. The first of his soon-to-be employees would be arriving any minute. Brushing his hair back away from his face, he grinned toothily.

"Well, then. Time to take out the trash."

Never had such a hackneyed line been spoken with such utter satisfaction.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Ryudo Lee

What could only be described as a shadow stood in front of the Black Sky Nighttime Cleaning Service.  The front door wasn't locked.  And Shade never trusted unlocked doors that he didn't unlock himself.  But the news from one of his old partners told him that perhaps this was worth checking out.  If nothing else, he might be bale to snag... what, someone's prized dustmop?  Assassin's were a notoriously untrustworthy bunch, but the particular one that had given him this lead on regular work seemed, well, genuine... for once.  He quietly turned the knob and opened the door just a crack.  It was dark inside.  He slipped in and silently closed the door behind him.  Following the main hallway he eventually made his way to a door with light coming out from under it.  He put his ear to the door.
"Well, then.  Time to take out the trash." A voice on the other side of the door said.
This door too was unlocked.  Something about this situation made Shade want to leave this whole thing behind.  But the promise of regular work... and regular pay kept him there.  He set his jaw, and as quietly as could be, opened the door and silently stepped in, and then closed the door behind him silently.  To his dismay though, the person behind the desk noticed him.  But he stepped forward.  If this wasn't what his ex-partner had told him, then this man was dead.  Shade cleared his throat.
"I hear you're looking for... cleaners." He says.
His voice was baritone, but slightly cracking.
"Perhaps you've heard of me.  I'm known as Shade, the Ghost Thief." He says.
He watched the other man's reaction.  If it was anything other than an assassination job offer, or an allusion to that effect, he would have to kill this man.  And Shade did not like to do unnecessary killing.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Angel

Amazingly enough, mere minutes after Khimara sat down, someone entered the room. He didn't hear any footsteps; hell, he didn't even hear the door creak. But after a moment, it became apparent he wasn't alone in the room. The man standing in front of him would have been completely invisible had the lights not been turned on. His night-black fur barely visible against his black clothing, for a second the blond was almost convinced that a shadow had grown eyes and a tail and walked in. The possibility that he'd heard Khimara talking to himself was a little embarrassing, but it was barely on his mind for the moment.

Someone that quiet who can blend into the night without even trying... this is almost too good to be true already. Now to see if he's the right type of person.

Once the man said his name, Khimara smiled affably and stood up. "You heard right. Can't say I've ever heard of you, but you've probably never heard of me either. My name's Khimara Transphermi." He gestured to one of the chairs in front of the desk. "Sit down, please."
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Ryudo Lee

Shade studied the man for a moment.  He still didn't have enough information to decide whether or not this man was genuine.
"If you don't mind, I'll remain standing." He says.
His eyes darted around behind the sunglasses, finding shadowed spots, just in case he had to disappear.  After just a moment he fixed his gaze on Khimara.
"You must not be from around here, if you've never heard of the Ghost Thief.  But regardless, I've heard from certain underground sources that you're looking for people of... particular skills." He says.
As he makes that comment, he moves one hand to the handle of his dagger, and the other hand to the handle of his blackjack.

Angel

Khimara didn't miss the movement of Shade's hands to his sides. His smile changed just a little, becoming almost coldly reassured. He was, of course, wary about being threatened; pure instinct prevented his being totally calm. But he wouldn't have expected someone to trust a person who sent anonymous letters asking for professional hitmen. Had he himself received the letter, he wouldn't trust it either. The fact that the other feline hadn't reacted to his father's name also was a good sign. It meant he really was on his own for once.

"If you really need to hear me say it, that's fine. I wouldn't have it any other way," he replied, shifting his legs so he'd be able to jump out of the way quickly if need be, and almost subconsciously making a list of species he could turn into if he had to escape. His voice tone dropped to a quiet, serious level, though he was 95% sure that no-one was listening in anyway. Even so, he chose his words carefully, getting his meaning across without saying anything blatant.

"I'm sure you know as well as I do that there are people in this world who want certain ... messes ... to disappear. It's a perfectly natural desire, but the rest of the world doesn't seem to agree. I need skilled individuals who are willing to provide those people the service they so desperately want ... without leaving any stains behind. I'm ready to pay you a large portion of whatever money those people offer. Now, before I tell you the rest, I'd like to know that no-one - including yourself - is about to silence me for saying even that much."
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Ryudo Lee

Shade only ever so slightly relaxed, and moved his hands away from his weapons.  This man appeared to be indeed genuine.  But he made a mental note to look this guy up, see who he was really affiliated with.  Usually when it seems to good to be true, it is.  And in this case, Shade intended to move carefully.  On the surface this all looked genuine, but he knew too many assassins to know that he could very well have already sprung a trap.
"Sounds like an interesting proposition.  I assume you've sent out invites to other people.  I didn't get an invite, but an acquaintance of mine did.  He wasn't interested, but he suggested I check it out, since work has been slow." He says. "And I was only going to silence you if this turned out to be anything other than what you say it is.  Since you appear genuine, I have no reason to kill you."
Yet.

Angel

Khimara, likewise, relaxed the smallest bit, shifting his legs to a more comfortable standing position but keeping his muscles tense as coiled springs. "Good to hear. It's a shame that one invite was turned down, but you seem more than capable enough for the work I need done." He moved so he was standing behind his swivel chair, placing his hands on the back of it. Contrary to appearances, this wasn't a move to protect himself; it just kept him comfortable enough so that he didn't need to sit down.

"So, with a name like 'ghost thief', it doesn't sound like you started out in this business. What made you change your mind, if you don't mind my asking?" This wasn't small talk. Khimara liked knowing the motives of anyone who worked with him. It helped him decide whether they were really the type of people who should work together or not. As a well-near newcomer to this profession, he needed to be as compatible with his coworkers as possible. Otherwise, getting caught might become a real threat instead of just a worry...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Ryudo Lee

This was the typical part.  The client always wants to know why he does this.
"You're right about that.  My professional career as a thief was going well, until I started getting requests to take lives instead of valuable objects.  And as it turns out, the clients that ask for assassinations pay better than my fences.  I'm in it for the money.  And who's to mind if the victim's valuables go missing as well?" He says. 
Greed, it's the perfect motivation.
"I apply my skills as a thief to my assassination contracts.  I only kill the target, and no one else.  Anyone who gets in the way just gets knocked out.  To date, I've never failed.  And I'm sure your next question would be about how well I work in groups.  When I do have to work with others, I usually serve as a scout, since I can get in and out unseen." He says.

Angel

Khimara nodded as he listened carefully, his face serious now. He didn't quite want to sit down, just in case someone else came in. Maybe leaving the door open was a bad idea after all, he thought passingly. In the meantime, Shade's credentials were more important than an unwanted guest - considering who they were, that kind of problem could be taken care of easily. Rather than sitting down to write them, he simply committed them to memory so he could write them later.

"Sounds pretty impressive," the cat said once Shade finished speaking. "It might be wise to keep thieving tendencies to a minimum, though I'm sure you could have guessed that. As I mentioned, my concern is whether or not you or anyone else who applies here gets caught." He smirked just a little. "Though from what you've told me and what I've seen, that won't be a problem."

His smirk faded again. This was the part that typically involved the most haggling in any job - pay rates and work hours. "Before we go any further, it's fair that you know that your work here may not be regular. If I'm correct about the desires of most people, there will be plenty of clients, but I'm hoping to assign no more than one cleaner at a time; I'm sure you understand why. Unless a job is particularly big, of course. Then there's the matter of money... Being only an organizer, I don't intend to take much of what clients offer, but percentage-wise, how much would you expect with each assignment?"
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Ryudo Lee

Shade considered Khimara's question for a moment.
"It doesn't matter if it's not regular work.  I can keep myself quite busy.  Working alone is not a problem.  Working with a group is no problem either.  I do my all of my work at night, when chances of getting caught are... slimmer." He says.  "As for the pay, I'll take as much as I can get.  You take your share, and I'll take mine.  And if I end up with a group, I have no problem splitting a take evenly."
That was a lie.  But a necessary one.  Working in a group is always done best when you don't take the lion's share of pay.  And besides that, it was simple professional courtesy.

Angel

Inwardly, Khimara relaxed a little. Even if it was bothersome for most people, Shade wasn't going to cause trouble over money and work. That made this a little easier. But for now, he was running short on time, and he'd learned almost everything he needed to know about this man.

"Hm. Well, you seem quite capable, and I have no reason to doubt that you'll be valuable here..." He paused. He clearly wouldn't be able to ask about family history, and it would be pure foolishness to ask for prior contacts. People in their business tended to keep to themselves unless absolutely necessary. Still, he did need a little extra reassurance... and he knew just how to test Shade's abilities and trustworthiness.

"I'd like to keep talking, but I really do need to get to the other interviews. If I can trust you, come back in three days for your first assignment. You'll be working alone on this first job unless I tell you otherwise when you get back. This will be... well, to be blunt, a test run. You will be paid for your services, make no mistake, but I want to know exactly how you and your future coworkers perform - separately or together. In the meantime, any questions, extra things I should know, anything like that?"
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Ryudo Lee

Shade moves to the door once Khimara finishes talking.
"I'll be back.  That's all else you need to know." He says.
He opens the door, disappears into the shadows beyond it, and the door closes behind him.

As soon as Shade hit the streets, he turned down an alley and started heading out to meet up with other people who would be in the know: fences, other assassins and thieves that he used to work with.  The subject - Khimara.  He wasn't going to just go along with this guy without knowing exactly who he was working with.

Boog

It was a warm night, so the thick, poofy, formerly-navy-blue-now-greyish winter coat that Hermes was wearing would've probably stood out, were anyone looking. The trick to going unscrutinised, he'd found, was not to care. People, by and large, were prone to minding their own business. So long as YOU don't show any sign that you think what you're doing is odd chances are they'll feel silly pointing it out. Better yet was to look so odd on the surface that people felt no NEED to look closer, but he'd yet to find a proper balance on that score. It was a shame, because he had a natural aptitude for looking strange; his stiff and at times disjointed movements, the way his eyes would blankly stare... He double checked the bit of paper he'd written the address on for this "Black Sky Nighttime Cleaning Service," and looked back up at the building before him. It was low key, understated, the last place one would expect to be run as an assassination service... So if it was the place it was run by someone who knew what they were doing. Which was good. Mostly.
The man knocked twice before entering, closing the door quietly behind him. When he noticed Khimara he straightened up from a scrutiny-belaying slouch to an "at attention" stance that would make your average military instructor break down and weep. "I heard you were hiring."

Angel

Khimara nodded as Shade left, sitting down once he was sure the Ghost Thief was gone. He snagged a pencil from the holder on his desk and had just begun jotting down details about the cat when another person walked in. A human, but for some reason, Khimara had a feeling he was different. It wasn't quite the strange attire; he really wasn't one to judge clothing when his own outfit could be mistaken for half of a crappy vampire costume. No, it was the human's mannerisms that got to him: the way he straightened right up when Khimara glanced at him, the quiet, almost monotone speech.

The feline stood up, slightly tense. It could be an innocent, though there was no "Hiring" sign in the window; there was also, as he'd been reminded by Shade, the chance that this was a trap. But there were ways to disprove that.

"I am," he said evenly, appearing quite calm in spite of the risks. "I'm Khimara Transphermi. Did you receive a letter?" He held out his hand, palm up expectantly.
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Boog

There was a pause just a split second too long as Hermes remembered the appropriate reaction. He made a note to double check some of his hardware later to see why.
"I understand that, in this business, it is often deemed inadvisable to leave matters of a particular variety committed to paper. I do not have the letter with me currently, although if given time I may be able to reassemble it. I have, however, brought a letter of recommendation..." He unzipped his coat just enough to reach in and (carefully, so as not to snag on anything important) take out an old newspaper clipping. It was the report of an untimely death of a scientist working with stem-cell research, what the police had chocked up to a double-suicide of him and his research assistant/mistress. "You will find that I am mentioned nowhere in the article, and that the objective was seen to with minimum fuss. Is this acceptable proof of my capabilities and intent?"

Angel

Khimara took the article and began to read it. "You can sit down if you like," he mentioned almost passingly, gesturing at the chairs, but waiting for a response before sitting down himself. He read the article very carefully, his brow just a bit furrowed. This was impressive, and given what the man had said in conjunction with the article's contents, it was pretty clear why he was here. But still, better to be safe than sorry.

"This is acceptable..." he said at last, his gaze a grain less suspicious. "But can you prove to me you're the one responsible for this? Though it is true I didn't ask, it's hard to trust someone who hasn't given me his name when I just gave my own."
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Boog

The man sat down stiffly. "My name is Hermes McMortimer. In regards to proof..." Again, Hermes reached very carefully into his jacket and pulled out a switchknife, then placed it on the desk in front of Khimara, "Here is the weapon I used for the job. In this line of work, I've no doubt you've contacts who can tell you whose blood has been on it and whose fingerprints still are. Also consider it a token of good faith, proof that this isn't a trap. Its falling into police hands would put me away for an inordinate amount of time."

Angel

Khimara looked down at the knife for a moment or two, then smiled in a relieved way. Carefully moving the knife to a piece of blank paper for later, using his claws so that no fingerprints of his own marred its future analysis, he sat down and faced Hermes.

"Good. At least we know neither of us is here to off the other one," he said, his voice just jocular enough so any further mistrust would be alleviated. "Now, then. Why exactly do you need this job? I'm not doubting your capabilities; they're actually the reason why I'm asking."
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Boog

"An understandable query," The friendly tones were wasted on Hermes. He was bad at reading them, and suspected nothing aggressive of Khimara anyways. After all, he'd essentially just been made an ideal offer; a hireling, complete with blackmail material. "Suffice to say that freelancing such skills is not half so lucrative as it sounds. If you have time to build up a reputation than a lone operator can get offers from all over, but when you're starting out you're liable to go months without a job offer. Yes, you're your own boss, but few people can really make a regular paycheck by commission without being affiliated with some manner of group or company when they're just getting started. Not only can they kickstart your reputation for you, but most clients develop a sort of brand loyalty that can be very good for keeping oneself economically afloat," The man flicked one strand of hair out of his face with a jerk of his head and leaned back, "Also, you don't meet many people working by yourself."

Angel

Khimara's face went from cheery to impassive when he saw that Hermes's manner hadn't changed. This wasn't simple politeness or formality, he was beginning to suspect; it was just the way the man was. And his answer had been analytical, precise, and perfectly accurate. There was much much more to him than met the eye... but then again, Khimara supposed, that was the case with most of these people.

"Good answer," he said at last, nodding slowly. "It's fair you should know that work here may not be entirely steady, and payment may not be the same every time, given the purpose of this place and the differences between clients. I'm guessing, though, that you expected that. Any qualms about working with others? It may not be necessary all the time - or at least I hope not - but there is always that issue."
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Boog

"I've no objection. Indeed, I find people fascinating." Hermes' face broke into a smile just a split second later than it should have, and it looked... Rehearsed. "However, I've been told my people skills can be insufficient for some scenarios. I hope this wont be an impediment to my employment, as my demeanor has yet to result in a single assignation I have ever taken on escaping." The smile winked out, like someone flicking a switch. "The frequency of work is also no problem; anything is better than my current rate of business."

Angel

Khimara only watched Hermes now, all his people skills useless on this ... slightly sociopathic and mechanical person. It was only half-unexpected in the world of assassins, but better a socipath than a sadist. Anyone who took too much joy in this kind of work ended up getting caught first. Not to mention that oftentimes the victims weren't even killed outright... but his train of thought was beginning to derail. No matter how strange his demeanor was, Hermes had just agreed to the two things he knew were most difficult about the hiring process with no fuss whatsoever. That was better than he could've hoped. Now came the tricky part.

"I'd rather have someone of your demeanor than one who matches some of the people I've seen in this business," he said, his implications clear. "Now, ordinarily a prospective employer would ask what your skills were, but around these parts I expect  that would earn me a knife in the throat. And I prefer any demonstration of skill to be more organized than that. So, come back in... five days for your first assignment. Think of it as an audition, to see if you're the person I'm looking to hire. Any questions or things I should know of before I move on?"
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Boog

Hermes considered the question carefully, and chose to err on the side of caution. Asking to know if a particular person ever contracted with this firm would probably send up red flags. "None come to mind. Thank you, I'll be back then." He stood up like some storeable piece of furniture unfolding upward and nodded, once. "I look forward to working for you, sir." With that, he turned on his heel and walked out.
All things considered, things had gone rather well. The man hadn't even noticed the glass eyes. Hermes wiped the lens of the camera hidden in the tip of the pen sticking out of his pocket as he made his way home. It had been a good night.

Angel

Khimara waited until he was sure Hermes was out of the building, then pulled out a yellow legal pad and began scribbling a few notes in jotty cursive handwriting.

"Shade, the Ghost Thief. Stealthy, not blindly trusting, focused. Perfect capabilities, but thievery tendencies and background in theft may give the police a clue if he gets carried away. Mentioned that around here he is well-known. Test in: three days.

Hermes McMortimer. Seems to be able to cover up a job very well. Nature a bit disturbing, interview only somewhat revealing. Motive unclear; should become apparent during testing. Test in: five days."
He scotch-taped the article he'd been given to the pad as a reference point, then remembered the dagger. He ripped a corner off the legal pad and jotted down another note. "Call: Scylo Digita - DNA test." Then he folded it carefully and set the dagger and note in an empty desk drawer.

There. As long as he could keep things organized until the test runs started, things should go smoothly. Now, all that was left was to wait for the rest of the invited. He flicked a hand through his bangs, humming a bit to himself as he waited and mulled over the former applicants in his mind.
BANDWAGON JUMP!

e_voyager

Forte checked his orders again. this was the right address but still something felt off about this. he'd watched the place for a while like he was scoping out a job. there were two visitors prior to his  assigned arrival time,  some time apart. he did not eavesdrop on there conversations more out of professional pride then any sense of decorum. he would find out the information his own way assuming that he took this job.

whom did he thing he was kidding? he was E's forte. one of the strongest general purpose assassins that the agency had. With in the agency he was known for getting the job done. whats more the number of jobs he had done were classified as many were high profile and he was always ordered to commit them with out a trace if possible. he checked the clock he had two minutes. if some one else was watching the door so be it. this was and interview not a job. even if it felt like it might be one.

he knocked on the door wishing that a stealth approach had be available but he understood that it wasn't the wises move in the situation. after all a client might not hire an assassin that snuck up on him before getting the job.  they might fear that they were on the list of future  jobs if not shown some respect.

I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Angel

At a knock on the door, Khimara's ears quirked. Assassins could be polite when they wanted, but still, with the directness of the other two, he couldn't help being a little suspicious. After all, it could be an innocent civilian - or worse, a cop. So caution was key.

He stood up and walked to the door, opening it partway - wide enough not to be unwelcoming and impolite, but also little enough so he could slam it, lock it and plan quickly if need be. But it didn't look like a cop, or a civilian, for that matter. Cops didn't wear armor plating like that, and civilians didn't either, unless a Star Wars sequel had come out or a convention was in town. As far as Khimara knew, neither of the sort was going on in the city right now. The only other possibilities were a rival agency's insurance policy - or just another rather flashy hopeful.

"Can I help you?" the blond feline asked, just a little caution in his voice. No harm in being wary of every possibility arising.
BANDWAGON JUMP!

e_voyager

Forte Smiled, looking disarming kind of like a lost Otaku(fan boy) but when he spoke the illusion was broken. When he spoke it was with a slightly chilled voice full of confidence and undertones of  assertiveness. " I see you like my outfit" he said gesturing to himself. he really should have worn a jacket but the power ranger v style metal plate that he wore as a vest would not fit under one. " but the convention i'll be attending is still a few days away if you decide that you want one of you own" He  said  it lightly as  if his light armor was merely a costume. and while it dark in  nature and looked more like a convention outfit then any true means of protection. it was more formidable then it appeared. As it was by most appearances a singleton (cover all form ankles to neck excluding the hands)  with painted aluminum armor highlights but this was false. The singleton was actually and impaction resistance mesh-weave armor proof again small caliber fire arms such as .22 and .45. the metal portions of the armor was actually  reinforced titanium and  as for the paint? well it was paint but with  light absorbing qualities. as useful as it was in reality it was still mostly a disguise. After all very few people in their right mind would walk around in any thing like outfit out side of the convention hall that it was designed to blend in with. as true as this was he's stilled donned the pate armor partitions of it just before the appointed time for the the rondevu.

Forte had not need to wear his armor but his research such as it had been had suggested that there were numerous conventions of one kind or another in this city. To prepare an alibi he rented and hotels room and registered for a convention that was still months away. if asked he would simply say that he got the timing mixed up and most authorities would let him off with out questioning after that, those that didn't were likely to disappear.  that was another reason to wear this flashy black and dress armor with it's purple highlights. it looked so like some this out of a manga or cartoon that it could be explain away if anyone asked. he'd simply look and act like an over eager geek like that guy on the talk show that dressed up as a character form some computer movie(tron guy). it but the plate armor  vest and armlets were more then garish  additions to his true armor. He grinned if this was a trap or a test set up by the agency they would be more helpful the the standard bulletproof vest. His helmet which he considered a touch over the top was stashed away to reveal shoulder length purple hair and eyebrows but his most striking feature of his face were his eyes. They were like cold glass marbles. You could read anything you wanted into them and never come near the truth. They were not they eyes of a man not even a human man. Eyes like that belonged to a dead fish or perhaps some toy or robot more a reflection of life then alive them selves. What ever they took in they form his gaze they gave nothing back.

"but i digress good sir..." he said his voice flowing smoothly. for all the world he seemed like he was simply a convention goer in looking in on someone until his tone changed though it remained cold and his easygoing manner shifted subtly "as i was referred here someone whom i believe to be a 'mutual friend' that said you could use some help and that my service might come in handy." the human in armor nodded to the feline. "if you would be so kind as to let me in i believe that the details on the propose job would be bested discuss in private."

{edited for boxy the moderator and game player. also for anyone else who likes to read the rps.  sorry but posting right after i get in form work or right before i go can mess up the flow of my thoughts and post. well that and lack of sleep.}
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Angel

Khimara wasn't sure what to make of the newcomer. He looked like someone who had ordered an extremely well-made outfit for an upcoming con, but his voice betrayed him. No mere fanboy had such a chilling voice. But among assassins, that tone was so common it was a wonder the police hadn't put that as a method of profiling. And his eyes were strange, too - like misty pools through which it was impossible to see what thoughts were swimming around in his head. One could only guess that the outfit was more than it seemed, too... The cat furrowed his brow just a bit once the new person was finished speaking. The last sentence couldn't have meant anything other than what he thought it did... but there was always the slightest chance.

"Okay," he said carefully. He opened the door just a little wider, but not quite wide enough to get in yet. "You said you were referred by a friend. Does that mean you don't have a letter to show me? I asked everyone to return the letter upon arrival, you see." Three applicants, no letters. Why did I put the damn instructions on there if no-one was going to follow them? he thought, just a little irritated.
BANDWAGON JUMP!

e_voyager

The human smiled politely. obviously the feline had been having a rough day. He produced a manila envelope and handed it to the client. on the cover in Latin were the words "Deliver to client. do not open"  Then he produced an letter with his own instructions where were written in code guise as a simple help request. It stated to one read the code or viewed it through a filter. "client requires your services. 'it gave a location and a  time.' it also gave a caution that he was to assist in the utmost confidence. the the untrained it the instructions read.

[
Attention forte

A convention planer has requested assistance with a project. As your experience in the matter concerned are well rounded you were chosen to assists them. meet with them for and interview at ( date  and location also with appointment time) and present them with included envelope of reference material. do not open the materials as they are cover via employee confidence .  employer will brief you on the specifics of your part in the project.
]

he with held the letter however as he was at this point curious about the feline. he was nervous or at least curious as to what was exactly going on and seemed to be looking for some kind of hint form forte.  "if my friend had a letter form you it will probably be inside the envelope. i didn't read it as it says to deliver it to you"

Forte regetted not wearing the helmet but he still watched the feline closely. he reactions would tell forte all he needed to know. the would decide his employment or perhaps dictate the end of an innocent life. not that anyone was truly innocent in this day and age.

(what ever else is in the envelope there is a light profile of forte his skills and experience. it will also mention his less the perfect voice control. i can put and copy of the profile deliver in the ooc if you like.)

Angel

Khimara looked at the envelope, his minimal knowledge of Latin not enough to decipher the front message. He could guess what it meant anyway. The only things a person usually printed on the front of an envelope were warnings. He scanned the letter with his eyes; the human signaled pretty well that he didn't want it taken from him just yet. The coded letter seemed honest enough, but just to make sure he was telling the truth, Khimara opened the envelope and shook the contents gently into his hand. Sure enough, there was the paper containing his own instructions. He smiled his first genuine smile of the day, then quickly put himself back in a business mindset.

"Okay then," he said simply, stepping back and opening the door, but sounding slightly more pleasant. "Come in and let's look over what your employer has to say about you." He paused, then added, "By the way, my name is Khimara Transphermi."
BANDWAGON JUMP!