Chapter 5 is up and ready to kick your... Talmi

Started by stiletto, June 15, 2008, 12:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Oh, yes.

On the other hand, note that Gangrel started itself up from Corpse Mode back into full life mode by, uh, itself. Or herself, if you want to anthropomorphise a computer; personally I find they hate that...

This implies that in CM, information networks are shut down, but there's still some monitoring of the local situation, for some unknown trigger. And when out of CM, sufficient computational power to locate and connect to power supplies if necessary; note that she's chosen to charge herself back up - even a standing program to check for power if battery level is below x and then charge self is going to use a little power; depending on how the power is tapped, that could well take a bit of juice to locate, too.

That's more than your pager ever did. And phones talk back to the network; this is why even when they're asleep, they have worse battery life than pagers, which just listen, mostly. I think.

From what I can see, Gangrel is behaving more like a laptop - and a highly sophisticated, adaptable, and user-friendly one at that - than a phone. Not that the difference hasn't been getting less of late, but there are degrees of change in what Gangrel is doing - and the other two, for that matter - that we aren't anywhere near building. Take, for example, the conversation between the other two PDAs; the content implies that they're aware of things that their owners aren't, and filter the information as needed; decision trees like that are serious horsepower, and (going back to the original point) suck juice like nothing on earth; people are surprisingly parallel, and doing that sort of thing in hardware is Not Easy.

Lots of interesting things going on, though, and I agree - in a couple centuries, battery life will have improved enough to scare the bejesus out of your average 20thC tech. Picture a battery the size of an AA that can power the east coast of the states for a week...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

stiletto

I had a watch that lasted for 7 years without changing the battery!

And considering she was quiet all that time, most of her systems were probably shut down, and then reactivated in some sort of emergency fashion as her battery was reaching critical levels. That or she got bored. There must have been a high degree of shut down, since she didn't hear people talking all that time, even at the end when she started shouting.

Reese Tora

Quote from: stiletto on August 03, 2008, 06:02:12 PM

And considering she was quiet all that time, most of her systems were probably shut down, and then reactivated in some sort of emergency fashion as her battery was reaching critical levels. That or she got bored. There must have been a high degree of shut down, since she didn't hear people talking all that time, even at the end when she started shouting.

I usually get the fairly cheap casio watches, the watch gets lost or falls apart before the battery dies.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

llearch n'n'daCorna

This may come as a surprise, but a watch uses rather less battery than a PDA. ;-]

Yes. My point was, she still had to have something turned on to trigger the restart - even if just a battery monitor.

Reese Tora

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 03, 2008, 06:46:22 PM

This may come as a surprise, but a watch uses rather less battery than a PDA. ;-]

Unless it's one of those multifunction watches that practically IS a PDA. :<
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

MT Hazard

Not sure I'm in the right place but still....

In comic 91 Gangrel the little green android seems to about the size of a large doll but she fitted inside a fairly small pouch, is she collapsible or shrink to fit or something?

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

llearch n'n'daCorna

I think the "pretty green girl" is a hologram.

The actual unit behind it all is fairly dinky, or so I gather; sort of like a closed phone. Jig might be able to enlighten further.

Jigsaw Forte

I'm gonna stick with the rationale of the "extradimensional pocket" Jigsaw has. I'll try to leave room to explain it a little better in-comic later, but the whole explanation goes side by side with explaining "vlinking". (Spoiler - the "V" is for "Vector")

As for the actual size, Gangrel is approximately 1' from head to toe, which only makes her "slightly" larger than a Beanie Baby in practice (and about as stuffed as one as well, since she needs the flexibility to move her joints) -- small enough to fit in plenty of places anyway, in other words. (The measurements are a rough approximation of where her head would come up to if I had a real-life model sitting on my shoulder.)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Brunhidden

the answer is the litrium battery- its kind of slightly radioactive in a safe and controled way, the degrading of the litrium inside produces electrical power directly. the battery generates a steady and constant flow of electricity, needing no recharge, but has a half life of ten years- thus every ten years you loose half your power, but then its probably best to get a battery that originally supplies 3-5 times your power needs and say the battery has a 30 year life
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 03, 2008, 09:13:14 PM
... one foot, or one inch?

A foot.

An inch is 1" (easy way to remember: count the syllables)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on August 03, 2008, 10:52:37 PM

A foot.

Just checking it wasn't a typo, is all.

... both "a foot" and "an inch" have two syllables, though. And "single quote" and "double quote" also have identical syllables (3)... how does that help?

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 04, 2008, 05:18:54 AM
Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on August 03, 2008, 10:52:37 PM

A foot.

Just checking it wasn't a typo, is all.

... both "a foot" and "an inch" have two syllables, though. And "single quote" and "double quote" also have identical syllables (3)... how does that help?

' = foot (one syllable : Foot)
" = inch-es (two syllables: Inch and es)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yeah, but "foot" is singular; "inches" is plural. You're mixing terms. ;-]

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 04, 2008, 11:46:00 AM
Yeah, but "foot" is singular; "inches" is plural. You're mixing terms. ;-]

FEET and inches. Happy now?  >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Madmann135

to be in the 12 inches tall area and have that much processing power nand movement capabilites those things might be bigger on the inside (vector manipulation).
That being the case it would be easier to replace the batteries with a fusion cell that has a minimum active life of 20 years.  No need to recharge or replace batteries but it would probably not be economically fiesable.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Brunhidden

most likely it has a normal battery which is recharged just like ours today in addition to a very tiny reactor cell or litrium battery- mostly to slow down how fast the battery is used, or if turned completely off slowly recharge it.

i really like the idea of it being plush, makes it a lot more of an item you would like to have, or give to your kids.

stiletto

Message from Jigsaw:

[23:51] cainenabler: *pokes forum*

WOOP! You have a call.

Oh, and by the look of Jigsaw in the first panel, she's smoking it up. And then a beautiful shot right down her mouth! *giggle*

Madmann135

I like how Jigsaw said "...When I shrugged off being tossed through a brick Wall," how many people can say that?
Considering Jigsaw's luck so far I say it was a good thing that vampire decided to help himself with her because she needs all the help she can get.

I wanna see Diamond-Saw in action.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I like Gangrel. "When you debrief me, please omit why Daisy is chained up in bed, okay?" ;-]

Madmann135

and I am now reminded why it is said "never work with family, children and animals."
Their spat is very informative and funny.

Brunhidden

i suddenly take great amusement at gangrel throwing up its arms and going 'whoop'

Pagan

I just reread the page and I have now found that Gangrel's last line could be (probably is) increadibly pervy. The only thing I'm shocked about is how I did not notice it early. Or the first time.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Whitefangedwolf

Page 94 has me thinking...
I wonder why Cypress has her hair done like that if she doesn't like it that way?
Did she think she was interrupting "hot Talmi on Human action" with her call?
Who exactly is she calling Andromeda?
Is it bad that I think Cypress's hair in this page is awesome?

llearch n'n'daCorna

I can answer question 3. Team Andromeda, ie, Jig and Daisy.

Other than that... yeah, her hair is pretty sucky, IMHO. So I'm guessing we're gonna have to agree to disagree. ;-]

Whitefangedwolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 17, 2008, 08:29:08 PM
D'oh! I should have remembered that! :sweatdrop
I guess it's time to go reread the archives again.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Whitefangedwolf on August 17, 2008, 10:45:34 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 17, 2008, 08:29:08 PM
D'oh! I should have remembered that! :sweatdrop
I guess it's time to go reread the archives again.

That sounds like a clue to go do more to the cast pages... or maybe just provide a synopsis page of sorts.

Sunblink

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on August 18, 2008, 12:06:43 AM
That sounds like a clue to go do more to the cast pages... or maybe just provide a synopsis page of sorts.

I like what you did with the current cast pages, so I think it'd be really awesome to see more of them.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Madmann135

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on August 18, 2008, 12:06:43 AM

My vote is that you add onto the info on the cast pages and add more charactor info so that we can see/read more information on who's who and what they did.

not to mention put a spoiler warning so that people like me will read the cast pages first, even if there is no spoilers.