Is there any way to calculate how much a rare videogame is going to be worth?

Started by jakshep3, June 08, 2008, 12:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakshep3

I have a brand new copy of CV:SOTN (the Limited edition version), and I want to know if I can see how much it will be worth in the future, using some sort of scale, maybe? (Probably not, but I suppose if you don't ask, you don't get)...

Damaris

No.  There is no way to anticipate what a video game (or anything else) will be worth in the future.

Also, I want you to have a chat with llearch before you post anything else.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

jakshep3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Reese Tora

As with all rare works, the value of an item is equal to what people are willing to pay for it.  When an appraiser sets a value on a work of art, it is based on how much similar pieces by the same artist or from teh same period sold for in the past.

With video games, unless there is a high demand and healthy trade, the only way to find a price is to raise your flag and see if anyone salutes.  About the best you can do is hop on eBay or any other site you can think of where similar items are sold, and see if you can find your game and how much it's going for.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

AngelSephy

The most SoTN is going for is $50. Bear in mind the game is over 11 years old. I don't think it'll go any higher in price unless people still want it 10 years from now. Then it might.

Azriel

Well it really depends on a few things, how rare the game is, how old the game is, and how good the game is...for example Ogre Battle 64 just a year ago was worth about 80 bucks, but now a year later its worth 50 so its also probably good to know when to sell