06/06/08 [DMFA #912] - Monster Fight: Phoenix vs. Dragon

Started by Raffe, June 06, 2008, 02:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on June 06, 2008, 08:23:14 AM
given that this is A) a flashback, and B) Dan is likely to be in his teens, and thus not showing his Incubi heritage just yet. She is unlikely to find out his cubi leanings until post- SAIA arc.
I still say that if she was a full-fledged, multi-million-year-old dragon, Dan being in his teens is unlikely to be much of a barrier.  We'll find out later, I guess, but personally I'm not convinced she's a dragon.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 06, 2008, 08:35:57 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on June 06, 2008, 08:23:14 AM
given that this is A) a flashback, and B) Dan is likely to be in his teens, and thus not showing his Incubi heritage just yet. She is unlikely to find out his cubi leanings until post- SAIA arc.
I still say that if she was a full-fledged, multi-million-year-old dragon, Dan being in his teens is unlikely to be much of a barrier.  We'll find out later, I guess, but personally I'm not convinced she's a dragon.

Right, just like you're not completely convinced that Ink's an Incubus?  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Psaakyrn

And besides, the problem is not with Dan as a cubi, it's with Dan as a cubi from the Cyra clan. We don't know much about Cyra except that they seem harder to detect than most cubi. Which may not be a coincidence.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Ren Gaulen

I have a theory that Shanna is a half-dragon. She is still young, she knows nothing about what's going on between the dragons and the Cubi, but she has inherited the ability to transform into a dragon. Also, I have a theory that Shanna and Aliyka will accidentally subdue Darth Pegasus during their fight.

Raffe

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on June 06, 2008, 08:46:29 AM
Also, I have a theory that Shanna and Aliyka will accidentally subdue Darth Pegasus during their fight.
Hmmm, me thinks they might accidentally almost roll over DP, followed by one of his monologues, which changes their targets from each other to him.
Or he might just get smooshed.
Hooray ellipsis!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on June 06, 2008, 08:42:22 AM
Right, just like you're not completely convinced that Ink's an Incubus?  >:3
Forgetting - for the sake of argument - that you've more-or-less confirmed it (double-bluff notwithstanding), I had put about 95% on him being an incubus.  Remember that he's a cameo, and cameos are not always the same race as in their original setting.  Depends on the author, storyline and so forth.
So my thinking was that until we saw the headwings, there's still that remaining 5%.  He could have been another Thae'lith or some other winged race I don't know about, after all.

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on June 06, 2008, 08:46:29 AM
I have a theory that Shanna is a half-dragon. She is still young, she knows nothing about what's going on between the dragons and the Cubi, but she has inherited the ability to transform into a dragon. Also, I have a theory that Shanna and Aliyka will accidentally subdue Darth Pegasus during their fight.
I'd buy that, but if they subdue DP instead of Dan, Dan wouldn't have got his fame.  Now, DP trying to hire them...

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 06, 2008, 08:42:46 AM
And besides, the problem is not with Dan as a cubi, it's with Dan as a cubi from the Cyra clan. We don't know much about Cyra except that they seem harder to detect than most cubi. Which may not be a coincidence.
I'm not sure it's restricted to Cyra Clan.  I think Cyra Clan is simply the main target.

Psaakyrn

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_685.php

Note the phrasing: not letting near Dan, as opposed to not letting near herself, or Cubi in general.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 06, 2008, 08:55:57 AM
Forgetting - for the sake of argument - that you've more-or-less confirmed it (double-bluff notwithstanding), I had put about 95% on him being an incubus.  Remember that he's a cameo, and cameos are not always the same race as in their original setting.  Depends on the author, storyline and so forth.
So my thinking was that until we saw the headwings, there's still that remaining 5%.  He could have been another Thae'lith or some other winged race I don't know about, after all.

Forgetting, for the sake of continued argument, that i know more about my own artwork than you do.  >:3 and i'm 100% certain that i revealed Ink fully as an incubus from the fourth panel onwards..

:P

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Turnsky on June 06, 2008, 09:06:06 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on June 06, 2008, 08:55:57 AM

Forgetting, for the sake of continued argument, that i know more about my own artwork than you do.  >:3 and i'm 100% certain that i revealed Ink fully as an incubus from the fourth panel onwards..

:P

And you conveniently miss the point that different settings could result in different species.

Turnsky

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 06, 2008, 09:09:38 AM
And you conveniently miss the point that different settings could result in different species.

actually, i didn't. While Ariannia's a different place, Ink, whom wrote his character's bio, and whom i got permission to use in foxfire, Isn't.

Ink is Ink, simply put.  >:3

Tapewolf

I don't know if this is really the place to discuss this, but that threw me off was that the headwings appear to be in a different place on his head compared to the other 'Cubi we've seen in-strip.  They are also lacking the dark primaries so I assumed they were part of his hair...  :footinmouth

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 06, 2008, 09:03:18 AM
Note the phrasing: not letting near Dan, as opposed to not letting near herself, or Cubi in general.
Granted.  Interestingly, someone once claimed that the Dragons sparked the Clan wars to try and eradicate the 'Cubi race.  But we don't have anything concrete to back that up with.  If true, it could mean that Cyra's clan are trying to return the favour.

Alondro

And now I can use what I was hoping to use when this all started:

Crouching Aliyka, Hidden Shanna.   :giggle

Also, Ink's cameo is scaring me.  He's so ebil.   :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Alondro on June 06, 2008, 09:33:05 AM

*groans*

Sunblink

I'm totally gay for Shanna now.

I also think that Anna is a Were. :3

~Keaton the Black Jackal

PurpleCheeseLlama

Quote from: PurpleCheeseLlama on June 06, 2008, 06:50:52 AM
Also, I don't think Shanna is a dragon (if she is, I'm dumb, but w/e) since her eyes didn't do what Pyroduck's did, which was become slitted, and she didn't have wings, though they might not be necessessary (or however you spell that.)

Scrap that, I just realised she does have wings when transformed XD I just didn't notice them before 'cause they're slightly offpanel and the difference betweenher arm and wing is hidden a bit by her laughing SFX XD

AndersW

Enter the Dragon.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: AndersW on June 06, 2008, 10:51:19 AM

Enter the Dragon.
Dragonball Z *is shot*

Starcat5

You know... Considering how many friends and Poker Night buddies Dan has who are dragons... When Dan finally finds out where his father is being kept, it won't be a core DMFA rescue mission. It'll be a REVOLUTION! Dragon Vs. Dragon, with Dan's mum and the entire Cyra clan left scratching their collective heads.  :mwaha
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Anri

and i'm 100% certain that i revealed Ink fully as an incubus from the fourth panel onwards..

Just an aside, I do love that song. And Voltaire in general. <3

For those unsure of Shanna's being a dragon or not, if you look behind the manical laughter there, she has wings. Even if they are still mostly inside the building. Yet another good sign that she is.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tikki on June 06, 2008, 11:12:45 AM
For those unsure of Shanna's being a dragon or not, if you look behind the manical laughter there, she has wings. Even if they are still mostly inside the building. Yet another good sign that she is.
In that case, she probably is a dragon.

**EDIT**
I wonder how Fi will react to that?  He/she/it went completely frantic when Pyroduck was outed:
http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_698.php

Lucheek

Oh my god. Giant monster fight. This comic is awesome.

Everybody already thinks Anna is a were....so I'm going for Angel or Fae.

Aisha deCabre

Dude...

Every time I see a dragon in this comic, it goes up another awesomeness point.  :3

Also, I believe Shannah is a dragon, not a mythos.  Recall that dragons do have the ability to shape-shift into something smaller and Being-like.  Whereas I haven't seen a mythos yet display that ability.  Yes, I know that doesn't mean that some out there don't, but dragon seems the more obvious choice...

For us non-conspiracy theorists anyway.  :P
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Dracora

I want a better look at all of Shanna in all her glory! Have we actually seen a full picture of a dragon in comic that isn't half in and half out of a panel?

techmaster-glitch

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: Goatmon on June 06, 2008, 04:03:44 AM

Oh god yes.

I'm still rooting for Aliyka though.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Dracora on June 06, 2008, 11:42:55 AM
I want a better look at all of Shanna in all her glory! Have we actually seen a full picture of a dragon in comic that isn't half in and half out of a panel?

You mean like this? Then again, Pyroduck looks like he was only 1/4 to 1/3 out of panel.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

DarkAudit

Wings? I don't see any wings on her.

Were/Dragon/Angel/Fae/Cubi... BAH!

She's whatever Amber sez she is. The end.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

AndersW

Quote from: AmigaDragon on June 06, 2008, 12:56:19 PM
Quote from: Dracora on June 06, 2008, 11:42:55 AM

You mean like this? Then again, Pyroduck looks like he was only 1/4 to 1/3 out of panel.

You know, when Pyroduck was a full dragon he didn't have his clothes on.  And when he changed back his clothes came back as well.  So I don't think Shanna has lost her skirt just yet.  We just can't see it because clothes disappear when a dragon goes full sized.

Ragesquid

I see the wingies, now that they were pointed out. :3 Shanna is officially my second favorite character in the comic.(first being a tie between Abel & Dan. x3) Whether it's my insane love for blue things or herps, or just her shear awesomeness in general..who knows. She's great, though. :3

As for Anna? My first thought was Were..but there was the last panel in this comic that threw me off. So I'm gonna go out on a limb, here, and guess Angel. I'm sure if she was Fae, she could have easily taken on Aliyka. I guess we shall know soon enough, though. :boogie