06/01/08 [Hybrids #6] - Crossbreeding with the Fae

Started by Sunblink, May 31, 2008, 11:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuari

You know, though my question SOUNDS stupid, I actually was really curious about to what extent magic immunity goes.  If it was like an null magic aura around them while they are alive, or if its something that lasts after death.  It kind of applies to Ware human form too, just judging by the sudden mass negative rep, I chose the wrong way to express that curiousity 0.o

Turnsky

Quote from: Kuari on June 02, 2008, 07:25:08 AM
You know, though my question SOUNDS stupid, I actually was really curious about to what extent magic immunity goes.  If it was like an null magic aura around them while they are alive, or if its something that lasts after death.  It kind of applies to Ware human form too, just judging by the sudden mass negative rep, I chose the wrong way to express that curiousity 0.o

my guess is that the effect would be as if magic didn't exist at all.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Kuari

Quote from: Turnsky on June 02, 2008, 07:26:54 AM
my guess is that the effect would be as if magic didn't exist at all.
Well that part is obvious, but I meant more along the lines of is it something only active in a living entity, or if its something built deep into their physical structure.

Turnsky

my guess is that it's like, a black hole, you throw light in it, it swallows it up with nary an effect, the same would be in this case, 'cept more localised and passive.

Kuari

...let me simplify even further.

Active only while alive, or would the dead body still be immune to a magical fireball?
I meant the Hollow bone armor as SOMEWHAT of a joke.  This is more of the question I was asking, just some people apparently took it WAY too seriously 0.o

llearch n'n'daCorna

I would suggest that perhaps this isn't a wise course of enquiry.

I would also suggest that chances are, nobody will ever know the answer to your question other than Amber herself, but based on what she's said, "while they're alive" is probably close enough.

Also "not enough of one to affect anything other than themselves" might be applicable here as well.

As ever, it's up to you what you do with that suggestion. I strongly recommend you think carefully, though.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kuari

Ahh, must have missed that bit, so kind of would hint at a while alive kind of thing.  Fair enough, though quite frankly the biggest thing I'm wondering is why people are being so touchy about the whole subject -_-

Meh, whatever...

DarkAudit

Quote from: ChaoSynergy on June 02, 2008, 12:56:37 AM
Quote from: Alondro on June 01, 2008, 02:23:03 PMOne question though:  What is the significance of 21 years old?

I too, am curious about this.  Why the 21st hour of their 21st?

'Cuz teh Amber sez so.  :mwaha
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

PurpleCheeseLlama

Quote from: DarkAudit on June 02, 2008, 10:41:39 AM
'Cuz teh Amber sez so.  :mwaha

That pretty sums up everyone's questions on the topic of Hollows XD

Anyways, since I'm commenting...aww D-: Poor Hollows

(Yes I know there's no point in saying that...but whatever. It's said.)

Psychogirl

Heh, you ain't the only one, PurpleCheeseLlama. XP
Only, it's been awhile since I've been on here, and I just needed to post something. These Hollows are a pretty interesting concept. I must say that Amber has quite the imagination.

Alondro

The Hollows are similar to humans born partially anencephalic, with just the brain stem and medulla to provide the autonomic nervous system controls.

No personality, no thought at all, not even instinctual actions, basically a living lump of flesh.

That is quite depressing, isn't it?   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Joe3210

Quote from: Alondro on June 02, 2008, 06:32:03 PM
The Hollows are similar to humans born partially anencephalic, with just the brain stem and medulla to provide the autonomic nervous system controls.

No personality, no thought at all, not even instinctual actions, basically a living lump of flesh.

And most humans don't grow out of that stage. >:3
"You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!"

lawl

AnizInDisguise

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Joe3210 on June 02, 2008, 06:56:13 PM
Quote from: Alondro on June 02, 2008, 06:32:03 PM

And most humans don't grow out of that stage. >:3

And quite a few fall into this state when they see a glowing magic box of moving pictures.

On Topic
I don't know what you guys have trouble with No Fae Half breeds.  They are nearly all powerful, and live forever, and there are 2,438,165 Fae, who like to co-play as any role they want... So If you want to be a Fae, go ahead.  They are almost unlimited.

PBH

Ry

Quote from: Kuari on June 02, 2008, 07:45:24 AM
Ahh, must have missed that bit, so kind of would hint at a while alive kind of thing.  Fair enough, though quite frankly the biggest thing I'm wondering is why people are being so touchy about the whole subject -_-
I guess because we're takling about them like inanimate objects.  Even though they aren't really *alive* or sentient, they're still somebody's child.  It's sort of like suggesting we make armor from corpses- we're supposed to honor the dead, not loot the corpse.

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on June 02, 2008, 11:44:18 PM
On Topic
I don't know what you guys have trouble with No Fae Half breeds.  They are nearly all powerful, and live forever, and there are 2,438,165 Fae, who like to co-play as any role they want... So If you want to be a Fae, go ahead.  They are almost unlimited.
I didn't realize the only problem people could have with things were fanfic/etc related. O_o

e_voyager

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 31, 2008, 11:52:41 PM
Quote from: Kibin on May 31, 2008, 11:51:16 PM
So what happens if you stick another soul in the hollow, after it's born? Is that possible? Does it turn off the counter to eventual death?

Souls dont work that way I am afraid. And the fact the hollow are magic immune sort of makes it pretty impossible to try.

sadly enough that is exactly what i'd want to do in the case of a hollow. i'm sure that in many cases the mortal parents would willing divide or give up there souls entirely for the sake of the child if they knew what was happening or going to happen. especially in the case of a cubi who are known for stealing souls. (even if the don't all do it.)  as for being a fae, i tend to equate Fae to stars then live a long time (not forever as no one wants to live forever not even me) i look at fae like this. they are born and live their lives  often many many lives then the die when they chose (go super nova) and that which made them what they are  is almost instantly re compressed into a new fae (a new star is born form the ashes as it were of the old) what i don't understand is what happens to the mind/uniqueness of the expired fae. if you know what i mean
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Psaakyrn

I suspect it's been tried, and failed spectacularly.

About uniqueness of expired Fae.. I suspect that most of it is actually kept: I liken it closer to a system complete reformat: The system is still technically the same afterwards...

But anyhow, I've a different question: Can Hollows die before their slated fate?

Side note: What exactly is a soul anyway, in terms of this universe? We already know it's possible to create life without berging 2 souls together.. (aka Deebs, unless the unstable magics had some summoning or soul-like properties)

Side, side note: Could there be a relationship between Hollows and Mows? Seeing that Mows did sort of involve cloning Mab, and since you can't make a proper clone due to the "limited souls" theory...

Random thought: Mab + Hollow = Mow?

Not so random Apology: Hope this isn't too much spectulating, but I'm trying to use more serious non-silly speculation..
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Twist

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 05, 2008, 11:12:46 PM
Side, side note: Could there be a relationship between Hollows and Mows? Seeing that Mows did sort of involve cloning Mab, and since you can't make a proper clone due to the "limited souls" theory...

It would make sense for them to be related since Mab was involved and Mows and Hollows share the trait of complete magic invulnerability.

This would make Mows cute soulless furnature eating machines.
:mowcookie

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Twist on June 06, 2008, 12:02:36 AM

It would make sense for them to be related since Mab was involved and Mows and Hollows share the trait of being compel magic invulnerability.

This would make Mows cute soulless furniture eating machines.
That makes some sense -  And with some magic energy going into their construction, any sentience they have could be because of it, just like with deebs.
I however doubt that they are much smarter than normal animals, however they are definitely able to move around on their own(unlike hollows), and distinguish friend(or, at least Mab) from foe.
Those are just my thoughts...

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Twist on June 06, 2008, 12:02:36 AM
This would make Mows cute soulless furnature eating machines.

Cute soulless furniture-eating machines which if theory is to be followed to it's fullest extent, due to mysteriously go extinct within 21 years..

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on June 06, 2008, 12:25:59 AM
That makes some sense -  And with some magic energy going into their construction, any sentience they have could be because of it, just like with deebs.
I however doubt that they are much smarter than normal animals, however they are definitely able to move around on their own(unlike hollows), and distinguish friend(or, at least Mab) from foe.

-RobbieThe1st

It does beg the question of exactly how they gained "sentience", since magic shouldn't be the reason. Then again, Jyrras did somehow manage to create an electronic entity without obvious magic... technology is somehow involved, I presume. (which begs the question, how "magical" is technology?)

kaskar

:mowhappy Remember, Mab's daughter is the result of a wandering fae essence, and a cup of Tea ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Psaakyrn

Quote from: kaskar on June 06, 2008, 01:51:01 AM
    :mowhappy Remember, Mab's daughter is the result of a wandering fae essence, and a cup of Tea ...

Which has nothing much to do with this at all. Care to explain your random comment?

Aleolus

Hmm, I just had a thought.  What if a fae decided that their time had come, and rather than give their soul to a friend or put it up for auction or whatever, they decided to put it into a hollow?  Would that hollow gain sentience and an infant mindset and all, or what?

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Aleolus on June 06, 2008, 02:33:25 AM
Hmm, I just had a thought.  What if a fae decided that their time had come, and rather than give their soul to a friend or put it up for auction or whatever, they decided to put it into a hollow?  Would that hollow gain sentience and an infant mindset and all, or what?

Quote from: Amber Williams on June 01, 2008, 01:57:24 PM
One really needs to consider how old the Fae are, and how much experience they have with dealing with other worlds/dimensions/realities.  The average Fae can often live longer than the average civilization.

Part of the reason the Hollows are so depressing for the Fae is because despite this, its something even they can't quite "fix".  And believe me, they have tried.  It can go without saying that at some point it was likely every suggestion you guys have given has been tried...each time with the same result.

Thats something I keep needing to remind you guys about the Hybrid Genetics page: Fluffy isn't giving hypotheticals, she is giving straight up facts. If there was a chance for an exception, she would have added "with a rare exception of..."

e_voyager

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 06, 2008, 01:50:22 AM
Quote from: RobbieThe1st on June 06, 2008, 12:25:59 AM

-RobbieThe1st

It does beg the question of exactly how they gained "sentience", since magic shouldn't be the reason. Then again, Jyrras did somehow manage to create an electronic entity without obvious magic... technology is somehow involved, I presume. (which begs the question, how "magical" is technology?)

in that case Jyrras was connected with his daughter deebs by the screwdriver she was handing them. it magic is as many speculate mealy and form of energy then it could have completed the circuit and brought  her to life. i say her because deebs called her sister and when had no ideal whats he was making at the time.

oh and average civilizations don't live very long i'd say. here on earth i'd say they aver a few hundred to a few thousand years. and on a planetary time scale a thousand years is still a very short time. not 50K to 100K thats a decent length of time for one a planetary time scale. and about the out limit of time i'd expects some one who can live as long as they choose to live there life before becoming bored with it and unable to expand or explore anything new of there own.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

llearch n'n'daCorna

But anyhow, I've a different question: Can Hollows die before their slated fate?

Why would they not? Didn't Amber mention something about Fae killing them at birth?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 06, 2008, 03:58:55 AM

Why would they not? Didn't Amber mention something about Fae killing them at birth?

and escape wouldn't be plausible, either, they're like big meaty pinatas.  >:3

Psaakyrn

Ok, I missed that, my mistake.. though considering it's Fae, killing may not necessarily be an easy process. The reason why I ask is because of both the Mow relationship (and those are indestructable, though killing and destructable are 2 seperate issues), and because they're mysterious. Too many strange issues with them, what with their complete soullessness and their precise death format.

DarkAudit

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 06, 2008, 09:07:50 AM

Ok, I missed that, my mistake.. though considering it's Fae, killing may not necessarily be an easy process. The reason why I ask is because of both the Mow relationship (and those are indestructable, though killing and destructable are 2 seperate issues), and because they're mysterious. Too many strange issues with them, what with their complete soullessness and their precise death format.

Hollows are not Fae.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Psaakyrn

Quote from: DarkAudit on June 06, 2008, 01:04:23 PM
Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 06, 2008, 09:07:50 AM

Hollows are not Fae.

Think I need to rephrase.. "...though considering it's Fae killing them..."