Brotherhood of the Machine (OOC Thread) {02}

Started by Azlan, August 13, 2007, 12:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Prof B Hunnydew

But Can it tell if this is misspelled?

I bearly maid it two the bare cub before he fell threw the ice.

PBH

lucas marcone

i don't mean to sound rude....but wich country do you live in? or are from?

Arcalane

llearch n'n'daCorna

That's the one, Arc.

PBH, the whole concept of a spell checker is semi-ridiculed in the poem, of which I quoted the first line (mostly because I couldn't remember the second one, which Arc quoted, and I didn't want to go to the effort of googling it at that time. The point is, a spell checker will help with spelling, but not grammar. So there will be times when it leads you astray - even so, there will also be times when it corrects you as it should. This is as true for me as for you, by the way - I'm speaking generally, not specifically, so don't think I'm pointing fingers or anything. :-]

http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/stories/poem_act/spelling_checker_poem.html

I believe my point was, "Even if PBH uses a spelling checker, it's not going to be perfect" :-]

lucas marcone

interesting fact...when i bring up my spell checker all i get is a box with the forum back ground.

llearch n'n'daCorna

That would be because you're using the inverted dungeon theme. The DMFA theme, and the default theme, both work ok. The Inverted Dungeon theme is still on the "I need to fix that one of these centuries" list.

lucas marcone

techmaster-glitch

Tapewolf, you don't remember this?

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 16, 2007, 02:48:42 PM
I've got some time to kill while I wait for files to copy over...

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 16, 2007, 04:19:09 AM
Is Pal still in the running?  I understand he's got RL issues that can make his posting somewhat intermittent, but we may have left his character behind in the town  :B
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 16, 2007, 09:53:03 AM
Quote from: Paladin Sheppard on July 28, 2007, 12:34:17 AM
Sorry about my lack of posts guys I've just not been able to come up with anything creative. And to be honest my mood hasn't been the best. SO I'm going to take a small break I still want to be in the RP I'm just taped out atm. Sorry.

Ryudo feel free to auto Victor, thank you.

According to Pal, that would be up to Ryudo.

The last time Paladin posted anything at all was on July 27, and he posted in Wastelands, LITS, and BOTM with the same exact message as the one here, changing according to GM and character, of course.
He has been logging on occasionally, however, in fact he was just active this morning somewhere after 1:00 forum time.
On the subject of missing players, there is at least one other player is out (hopefully not for the count); Kryptic. The last time she was even logged on at all was July 17, then days before Pally scooted off. Pally left a message explaining his absence. Kryptic just disappeared. Poof. Nothing.
I think that BillBuckner won't be getting back in though. He's been long gone.

Again, I'm just going to pull an old D&D trick here.  Just consider them to be following along with the group and out of the way.  When we get to the next mission, if they don't post that they're going with you, consider them to be staying behind.  But otherwise, they're there, just being inconspicuous.

So, Victor should be with us back at the camp. A second rescue mission is something that most of us won't be up to.

Arcalane

It's at this point Exo would detonate Victor's cortex bomb.

...why are you all looking at me like that?...

Oh!

You missed the memo?

We installed cortex bombs in all of you.

The entire meeting was a hallucinogenic trip combined with messages pumped into your subconcious.

Naturally none of your reactions were forced, but...

:B

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 19, 2007, 09:32:09 PM
Tapewolf, you don't remember this?
Would I have written the post that way if I did?

QuoteSo, Victor should be with us back at the camp. A second rescue mission is something that most of us won't be up to.
I'm assuming this means you want it changed.  So it is now a question not a statement.

**EDIT**
Maybe I should have left it be.  After all, it just means he's panicking over nothing, which does happen.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

I hate to break it to you, lucas, but sticking a finger on your nose is hardly universal.

Where I grew up, a thumb planted in the middle of the forehead counted as "not it", with the last person to do so being the "lucky" volunteer.

In fact, I'm pretty sure there are -no- universal gestures. Everything is relative to your culture....

Ryudo Lee

Another long weekend.  So much was done friday night and all day saturday that I spent all of sunday as a vegetable... watching the Naruto marathon on CTN.

Anyway, on to business.

Quote from: lucas marcone on August 17, 2007, 01:00:06 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 17, 2007, 10:26:46 AM
Quote from: lucas marcone on August 17, 2007, 10:19:13 AM
i ment the next day. i edited it to be clear
Cool.
You know, there's something kind of fun about watching you try and chat Ryudo up  >:3
crossed my mind as well....this is for the sake of staying in character/the story/roleplaying ability.

Are we insinuating something here?

Quote from: Azlan on August 17, 2007, 07:41:51 PM
Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on August 17, 2007, 12:18:58 PM
Sorry Zexx or Jexx  :giggle  My speeell ing can be auful

:(  PBH

Losin spelink abiletu...
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 17, 2007, 07:43:40 PM
Eye have a spelling chequer...

Hukt on fonix werk fer mi.

Quote from: Arcalane on August 19, 2007, 09:59:22 PM
It's at this point Exo would detonate Victor's cortex bomb.

...why are you all looking at me like that?...

Oh!

You missed the memo?

We installed cortex bombs in all of you.

The entire meeting was a hallucinogenic trip combined with messages pumped into your subconcious.

Naturally none of your reactions were forced, but...

:B

:shifty   ....  What?  Don't look at me like that.  It's not like I put him up to it or anything like that.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 20, 2007, 08:23:07 AM
I hate to break it to you, lucas, but sticking a finger on your nose is hardly universal.

Where I grew up, a thumb planted in the middle of the forehead counted as "not it", with the last person to do so being the "lucky" volunteer.

In fact, I'm pretty sure there are -no- universal gestures. Everything is relative to your culture....

I dunno, I could think of at least one gesture that could be counted as universal... of course it's the kind that could get you killed if done in front of the wrong person.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Even that isn't as universal as people seem to assume.

The whole waving two vertical fingers thing goes back to the English archers making fun of the French at Agincourt. The French, reasonably enough, didn't really want the archers out there throwing arrows at them, so every one they caught, they cut the first two fingers off their right hand. The archers, in return, waved their fingers at the French knights, in a "hah, I've still got my fingers" way.

I'd be interested if anyone knows the story behind the single raised middle finger, though this probably isn't the place to discuss it... ;-]

Tapewolf

Don't forget this is also in another world.  Gestures are likely to mean very different things.
I've been deliberately ignoring how it is that Dorcan is able to speak their language - I'm assuming it's English for some infinitely improbable reason.

Ryudo Lee

Azlan

I must side with the boxed one, bodily gestures are culturally bound and there are no universal gestures per se.  Inappropriate use of hand gestures has caused no end of trouble throughout the ages, Nixon comes to mind... who inadvertently insulted an entire country with his trademark hand signs. 

This has a slight implication in game as every character will have basic gestures that their particular cultural group is known for using.  The key is for us as players to coordinate this, as some of our characters originate from the same areas. 

Interesting that we all speak a 'common' tongue... I guess we can attribute that to parallel cultural evolution.

"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Azlan on August 20, 2007, 02:55:09 PM
Interesting that we all speak a 'common' tongue... I guess we can attribute that to parallel cultural evolution.

IIRC you know Niven, but have you read much Jack Vance?  Specifically the abysmally-titled 'Planet of Adventure' series?  Vance was a great author, but he had a real problem with names - the second volume was called 'The Wankh' - but I digress.

Anyay, in that series, Tschai was populated by at least five competing alien cultures, including humans.  Being a particularly brutal world, the use of a single language became, in effect, a survival trait.  Might the same apply in Ryudo's world?

Azlan

That is an interesting theory.  A common language facilitates communication far better then attempting to rely on translators or jabbering unintelligently at one another.  This is quite likely specific to the unique situation of Tschai, Ryudo's world seems less hostile and perhaps a tad unnatural, as the development of furries is generally accepted as fantasy and not at all likely a path evolution would take, to the chagrin of all of us furry fans that are out there.  Species cultural integration at some point in this world history is likely what caused the development of a single, common language.  With all these creatures, I wonder how humans could have survived

For most instances, common language development has been related directly to commerce.  Communication for the purpose of barter and exchange of goods and services is essential to economic relations between disparagate national entities.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 20, 2007, 03:10:02 PM
Anyay, in that series, Tschai was populated by at least five competing alien cultures, including humans.  Being a particularly brutal world, the use of a single language became, in effect, a survival trait.  Might the same apply in Ryudo's world?

Possible, but, I feel, unlikely. After all, who's going to have a better chance of survival? The guys who're sitting there telling each other the diplomat on the other side of the table is "a wanker and going to knife us all in the back, first chance he gets" in a language the other side doesn't have, or the ones who are forced to sit there, and  unable to supply such useful comments to the boss diplomat so he can call a break to get them all the hell out of there?

Admittedly this is a specific instance, but my feeling is while there would be an advantage for everyone to -understand- the same language, that's not the same thing as everyone -speaking- the same language. And speaking additional languages to the "main" commerce lingo is often useful. Particularly the obscure ones that the other team aren't going to know.

That's my call on it, anyway.

Of course, speaking such sentences as above in one the other diplomat -does- know drastically reduces one's life expectancy...

Prof B Hunnydew

Language is something that Furry stories don't cover very often.  A dog or cat mouth/throat could make different sounds than a human's or a lama's can or could make.  Also new languages would be created if you have any kind of isolation between groups of people for a long period of time.  Much like human dialects become new languages over time, when travel is slow and limited and communications between peoples is uncommon.

Even in a modern world, we have members in our society, that make their own lingo, and slang... because their slang maybe easier for them to speak than the "common" tongue and is a way to make their own subculture in a society/culture that does misunderstands them or they it.  This subculture is a way for the subgroup to support each in understanding and/or cooping with greater society.

Shade and Sweetwater to you.
PBH

Ryudo Lee

You guys are reading waaaay too much into this.  Everyone's speaking a common tongue because the creator (me) didn't bother to put forth the effort into implementing langauge barriers, for the most part because I didn't feel like inventing languages.  I hate writing new languages.  So to simplify it, forget the language barrier.  I can live without that nusiance.

Azlan

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 20, 2007, 05:06:57 PM
You guys are reading waaaay too much into this.  Everyone's speaking a common tongue because the creator (me) didn't bother to put forth the effort into implementing langauge barriers, for the most part because I didn't feel like inventing languages.  I hate writing new languages.  So to simplify it, forget the language barrier.  I can live without that nusiance.

That works for me.  ^_^

llearch n'n'daCorna

Azlan

Arcalane

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 20, 2007, 09:27:09 AM:shifty   ....  What?  Don't look at me like that.  It's not like I put him up to it or anything like that.

I blame continued exposure to llearchic radiation. It's hazardous, but some individuals (particularly those possessing good senses of humour) are immune - or at least considerably resistant - to it's effects. :>

lucas marcone

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 20, 2007, 04:05:01 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on August 20, 2007, 03:10:02 PM

Admittedly this is a specific instance, but my feeling is while there would be an advantage for everyone to -understand- the same language, that's not the same thing as everyone -speaking- the same language. And speaking additional languages to the "main" commerce lingo is often useful. Particularly the obscure ones that the other team aren't going to know.

That's my call on it, anyway.

*COUGH starwars COUGH* /2cents

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ryudo Lee

You know, Exo was given orders to detain the subjects.  Is he going to relay those orders to the good doctor?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 22, 2007, 09:18:31 AM
You know, Exo was given orders to detain the subjects.  Is he going to relay those orders to the good doctor?
Quite.  I was going to have Dorcan ask him if he'd had any word from base, but I can't do that since he's still panicking over Victor at the moment.
Also, no-one seems to want to point Victor out to Dorcan if he has somehow snuck back to camp.