Brotherhood of the Machine (OOC Thread) {02}

Started by Azlan, August 13, 2007, 12:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azlan

I imagine the data is available on our communications network, I suspect we have some type of virtualized server that handles communications traffic.  If Dorcan is actively connected  to this network, then he can check comm status, I doubt it though.

Edit:
Original thread is here: please visit that if you're a new player.
  -- llearch
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Ryudo Lee

I would think that your communications center would be based in one of the vans.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Azlan on August 13, 2007, 12:20:43 PM
I imagine the data is available on our communications network, I suspect we have some type of virtualized server that handles communications traffic.  If Dorcan is actively connected  to this network, then he can check comm status, I doubt it though.

He might be able to ping Sally's commset and get some kind of error code denoting that it's been revoked...  It's not precisely clear how the things are operated.
Do you think that's plausible?

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 13, 2007, 12:23:18 PM
I would think that your communications center would be based in one of the vans.

Ah.  In that case, if it's been revoked, there should be a log of that in the comms server, and Exo should be able to tell if it's still valid.  In fact, it might be a good time for him to pipe up and say so, since he's presumably monitoring the communications.  If so, I can edit Dorcan's comment out.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Azlan

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 13, 2007, 12:23:18 PM

Technically, Exo could be our communications server... if it was capable.  It might be a bit beyond its capability though, poor thing :P

Arcalane

Depends what the bandwidth is like. :B

And no it couldn't - Exo has no wireless capabilities, and only one emergency port. It's pretty much in the stone age compared to the rest of society - but it gives it unparalleled defense against hackers in that... they can't connect to it to hack it. :B

Azlan

Quote from: Arcalane on August 13, 2007, 01:42:44 PM
Depends what the bandwidth is like. :B

And no it couldn't - Exo has no wireless capabilities, and only one emergency port. It's pretty much in the stone age compared to the rest of society - but it gives it unparalleled defense against hackers in that... they can't connect to it to hack it. :B

That's what external wireless units are for silly... plug a hub into your emergency port, hook in the external wireless and there we go, portable communications unit.

Arcalane

No, no. You're misinterpreting the use of emergency. It's there only if the Techs need to run diagnostics or other maintenance operations on the systems. It's not for actual traffic of any kind other than stuff that's being run on another computer that isn't connected to any nets.

Azlan

Quote from: Arcalane on August 13, 2007, 03:01:06 PM
No, no. You're misinterpreting the use of emergency. It's there only if the Techs need to run diagnostics or other maintenance operations on the systems. It's not for actual traffic of any kind other than stuff that's being run on another computer that isn't connected to any nets.

We can make it work... TRUST ME  :rolleyes

Kidding, I have no plans for it... I just like messing with you.  Exo is kinda like a big metal sasquach.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Azlan

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 13, 2007, 05:15:41 PM
Quote from: Azlan on August 13, 2007, 03:10:15 PM
Exo is kinda like a big metal sasquach.

Needs more hair.

I was mostly refering to the ugliness, but hair is lacking... yes.

lucas marcone

Ryudo whenever you feel like throwing Josh into a dangerous situation. go on ahead.... i want to switch characters.

techmaster-glitch

You want to get rid of your mage? We need him!

lucas marcone

my next character will be just as useful and more user friendly don't worry bout it bub.

techmaster-glitch

Well, I don't see that happening anytime soon, unfortunately, as you and the others are just piling into the van and are about to make your escape, and Jexx will be covering you guys from the rooftops.

Unless...no, I don't want Josh to die! I've got a plausible idea for him dying right now, but I dont wanna say it...do you want me to say it?

Azlan

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 13, 2007, 09:46:18 PM
   Jexx continued to watch the activity outside of the hospital. The others got out to the van just in the nick of time before the firefighters started blasting the inside of the hospital with a hose of water. The relativly small blaze started to die down, but before it was gone completely, the three zealots moved in.

I thought I would correct you on this, Morgan started an electrical fire...

Quote from: Azlan on August 13, 2007, 05:03:50 PM
The sprinkler system only made the fire get worse as water conducts electricity.  The fire system of the hospital was not equipped to handle electrical fires because all power lines are properly installed, shielded and maintained with multiple redundancies.  This kind of fire should not occur under normal situations.

The firefighters are going to evaluate and notice that the sprinklers are making it worse.  Their first priority is to cut the water or take the sprinklers offline via a manual shutoff valve if they can access it safely.  Then they will pull the vehicle with the chemical extinguishers, usually PKP, aka Purple-K, around and deploy the sprayers.  Purple-K is a largely potassium bicarbonate powder, purplish in color and is non-toxic.

They will not use water hoses as the water stream will conduct electricity and likely electrocute them.

Just an FYI.

techmaster-glitch

Would they neccessarily know that it is an electrical fire?.....Well, i guess they probably would. Meh, I'll go edit.

He continued on, mindful of anyone following, his route took him the opposite direction from base camp and he took a scenic route several miles long... enough to notice a tail (besides the ones on the furry types).
There's no way it's that easy :P there's gotta be a chase scene of some kind. If it was that easy, then Jexx would have actually gotten in the van with you instead of going on the ultimate marathon over the tops of the town to keep up with your ass.

Not to mention that Lucas wants Josh to die, and I came up with an idea, but didn't say it. I'll say it now then; Just as you are starting to pull out, and Josh is trying to close the back double doors of the van, the three zealots burst out of the back of the hospital and open fire. They -happen- to mortally wound Josh. Quick and dirty.

lucas marcone

would everyone be ok with that? i mean it's up to our gracious GM here.

Tapewolf

The waitress chick will be heartbroken if Josh buys it.  Especially if the Brotherhood do kill him as a rebel - his picture would probably wind up on the news...

techmaster-glitch

Oh damn, you're right, forgot about that. That's still something that's gotta be done...
Sorry Josh/Lucas, you ain't off the hook now :P

Though I still think it was a bit much for Azlan to just get thye van out of town in one sentance. There has to be something chasing us, even if it's just some Brotherhood Hunter/Killer warbots.

Arcalane

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 14, 2007, 06:28:51 AM
The waitress chick will be heartbroken if Josh buys it.  Especially if the Brotherhood do kill him as a rebel - his picture would probably wind up on the news...

Unless someone grabs him and pulls him into the van or something. :B

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 14, 2007, 09:37:12 AM
Though I still think it was a bit much for Azlan to just get the van out of town in one sentance. There has to be something chasing us, even if it's just some Brotherhood Hunter/Killer warbots.

Perhaps.  The thing which concerns me is that if he's as tired as he seems to be, someone else should be driving.   :P

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 13, 2007, 10:48:13 PM
Would they neccessarily know that it is an electrical fire?.....Well, i guess they probably would. Meh, I'll go edit.

The very first thing firefighters do is pull the power.

Having been in a small house fire (the chimney of the bakery below my flat went up in smoke, with a little bit of flame. The firefighters went through the back flat and left a foot-high tide mark. Upstairs.) I speak here from experience - they -really- don't want to light up the town with their sparking hair, and they're not shy about spreading water around when they want it.

They're usually -very- focused on a) getting everyone out, b) protecting themselves, and c) putting the flames out. In that order.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 14, 2007, 10:48:44 AM
The very first thing firefighters do is pull the power.
Hospitals have redundant power systems with onsite generators.  Presumably there must be a master breaker somewhere, for cases like this, but it might not be trivial to accomplish.

I don't suppose anyone here knows about hospital power and fire systems?  :3

llearch n'n'daCorna

I could ask someone. My flatmate is a radiographer. Sadly, she's out of town for this week, so I probably won't see her before the weekend...

Generally, though, there's a breaker the fire teams can throw to isolate the -mains- power, which covers most of the structure. That can be done in a sectional basis, or on a "kill the building" basis, if pushed. I'm not sure about the specifics, but the devices themselves tend to have batteries onboard, which means you can unplug them and move them around the building, if you need to.

Which means you can kill the generator as well, in a pinch, and you've got about an hour before the ICU starts losing people. I think.

I'll ask someone, next chance I get.

Ryudo Lee

This is all moot.  We can assume the firefighters know what they're doing.  It doesn't need to be worried about since none of the players are at the hospital anymore.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Azlan

I suppose my assumption was correct, but it was just a "I would like this to happen this way" kind of thing.  Tech, you shouldn't worry about it... Ryudo will likely do what he wishes if he so desires to.  There is always the "Which is what <insert character name> wished would happen when that tank pulled up behind you..."

It is moot, we got away...  yay!

Morgan is tired. :mowdizzy

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on August 14, 2007, 11:32:09 AM
This is all moot.  We can assume the firefighters know what they're doing.  It doesn't need to be worried about since none of the players are at the hospital anymore.

Oh, -yes-. That doesn't mean it's not interesting, though. :-]

Incidentally, can Morgan drain some of the power from the motor? Particularly the electrical parts?

It'd mean the engine uses more gas, but it'd help resolve his power issues, no?

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 14, 2007, 12:37:17 PM
This is all moot.

Do you think we can have an offshoot thread somewhere about what happens if there's an electrical fire in a hospital? :P

Azlan

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on August 14, 2007, 12:37:17 PM

Incidentally, can Morgan drain some of the power from the motor? Particularly the electrical parts?

It'd mean the engine uses more gas, but it'd help resolve his power issues, no?

Morgan is lacking in mental energy due to excessive maintenance costs on continuous effects, electricity only helps so much... like fusion using heavier elements, eventually the cost of conversion eventually exceeds the energy produced... mainly because he needs to supplement more and more systems as time goes on.  Plus it doesn't help fuel his biological systems any, and he was instructed not to eat in town.

No big deal, he got everyone home.

lucas marcone

incidentally i saw a special on the science channel about stars and black holes and such... it was interesting to see how the elements fused into things like carbon and then collapse in and get an extra energy boost and fuse into heavier elements. gravity is a weird force indeed.