Ask the All Purpose Fox - Enterprise!

Started by Kenji, January 18, 2008, 09:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabi

OK, but the debate cannot go on for much longer because this is a questions thread,not a debate thread. If you want a full debate, feel free to start your own thread at the Outer Fortress.

I still insist that the end does not justify the means. I'm not going to discuss a specific scenario, let alone a fictional one which may never actually happen; but sometimes you're caught between two evils and can't find a way around it. Sometimes you end up doing something knowing that you will regret it. But that doesn't make it right. It only means you couldn't do any better with the tools and information you had. If you do not regret it, if you believe that what you did was the right thing, then, in my eyes, you are not justified.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Azlan

Regret is a sword with way too many edges.  That is all I am going to say about that. 

Personally I would want to try every alternative before we resort to the few for the many scenario.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

ShadesFox

The main problem here is scalability.  Killing one person isn't much of an issue, but once you start getting into the 100 or 1000 then there is the logistics issues of getting 1000 people, then ensuring that they are all killed, and then killing them appropriately, then making sure you didn't kill 999 or 1001 people, it is just an awful mess and best not contemplated.
The All Purpose Fox

Ignuus66

In your opinion, would interstellar an interstellar spacecraft (a spaceship or probe that's top speed is faster than 5% the speed of light/ is able to reach Proxima centauri within 60 years) be created and launched within 50 years?

(credit: Gabi)

Darkdragon

What is the most extensive but plausible conspiracy theory you've come across?

Gabi

Quote from: Azlan on May 04, 2012, 03:48:40 AM
Personally I would want to try every alternative before we resort to the few for the many scenario.
Me too, of course. I thought that was clear from my post, but perhaps I was too vague.

Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 04, 2012, 11:12:08 AM
In your opinion, would interstellar an interstellar spacecraft (a spaceship or probe that's top speed is faster than 5% the speed of light/ is able to reach Proxima centauri within 60 years) be created and launched within 50 years?
I don't think so. And I hope they're not putting too much money into that while so many people are starving or dying from diseases that would be easily cured if they were treated.

Quote from: Darkdragon on May 04, 2012, 01:31:05 PM
Extensive in which sense? As in long, farfetched or widespread?

Ignuus66

I'm guessing long, and for me that would be.. I have no idea.

Anyhow, what is your favorite thing that was invented/created in the last century (anything from foods to software)?

(credit: Gabi)

Lushin

/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.

littlekreen

Should those that pursue a hard problem for learning's sake seen as trending toward an absence of charity?

Azlan

Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 04, 2012, 11:12:08 AM

I believe we will likely focus on our own solar system for a fair amount of time, first probe exploration, then Lunar and Mars based missions, and belt exploration and resource exploitation.  During this time proposals and frameworks for extra-solar missions will be laid down, but I'm not sure that they will be realized in the next fifty years.

Quote from: Darkdragon on May 04, 2012, 01:31:05 PM

[Deleted]

Quote from: Gabi on May 04, 2012, 02:48:47 PM
Quote from: Azlan on May 04, 2012, 03:48:40 AM
Me too, of course. I thought that was clear from my post, but perhaps I was too vague.

You did, you did.  I wasn't clear on that in my post.

Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 04, 2012, 03:33:47 PM
I'm guessing long, and for me that would be.. I have no idea.

Anyhow, what is your favorite thing that was invented/created in the last century (anything from foods to software)?

Solid State Drives

Quote from: littlekreen on May 04, 2012, 04:42:53 PM
Should those that pursue a hard problem for learning's sake seen as trending toward an absence of charity?

I will leave this up to the others to answer.  *passes out cotton candy*

Darkdragon

I mean long and detailed.

If you were to abstain from one type of fruit for the rest of your life, what would it be, and why?

Castle Pokemetroid

How are chibis so adorable? Is there some sort of science behind it?

Azlan

Quote from: Darkdragon on May 04, 2012, 11:59:13 PM
I mean long and detailed.

If you were to abstain from one type of fruit for the rest of your life, what would it be, and why?

Passion Fruit, it just never interested me.

Quote from: Castle Pokemetroid on May 05, 2012, 08:43:52 PM
How are chibis so adorable? Is there some sort of science behind it?

*flamethrower* I prefer to answer this question with fire.  Enjoy.

Qilby

For your 8,000th post, you have the opportunity to summon past memories and form an arrow that will fly true and strike down anything.

Who, or what, do you choose for such an honor?

ShadesFox

Quote from: Qilby on May 06, 2012, 08:08:36 AM
For your 8,000th post, you have the opportunity to summon past memories and form an arrow that will fly true and strike down anything.

Wat? This sounds like creepy town. And murder. Murder in creepy town. Mayor, you.
The All Purpose Fox

e_voyager

what ever happened to vaguely creepy?
where does ink keep his dungeon?

if a computer program becomes self away and is transferred from a metal and plastic computer to and lab grown organic computer in the from of a person is it now alive?  and does the program gain a soul?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Gabi

Quote from: e_voyager on May 06, 2012, 02:16:46 PM
what ever happened to vaguely creepy?
where does ink keep his dungeon?

if a computer program becomes self away and is transferred from a metal and plastic computer to and lab grown organic computer in the from of a person is it now alive?  and does the program gain a soul?
He crept people out. Vaguely.

That information is classified.

Whatever "self away" means, making something "organic" doesn't give it a soul. It may or may not make it "alive" depending on whether it has some sort of life cycle, but plants and fungi are alive and I don't believe they have souls. In any case, if by "self away" you mean "self aware", that alone would imply that it is alive, because without life there can be no awareness, there is only data and processes with no one to perceive them and interpret them.

Azlan

Quote from: ShadesFox on May 06, 2012, 08:44:51 AM
Quote from: Qilby on May 06, 2012, 08:08:36 AM

Wat? This sounds like creepy town. And murder. Murder in creepy town. Mayor, you.

I agree with Shades, Qilby is hereby named mayor of creepy town.  Also, posts in the Arena do not increase post count.

Darkdragon

I thought that was common knowledge, or is my habit of reviewing the rules once every so often an anomaly?

Gabi

It should be common knowledge. And it's been like that for a long time, and you don't even have to look at the rules to notice. (Though you should know the rules anyway, here and everywhere).

As a side-effect, no one can know for sure what his/her 8000th post is, unless s/he's somehow been keeping track of every single post s/he has made, which would be quite sad.

ShadesFox

I would say you are something of an anomaly. I don't read the rules. I just know them. And Azzie can avoid post 8000 as long as he does nothing but post in this thread.  Wait that means he will never post in the RP again... D:
The All Purpose Fox

e_voyager

Quote from: ShadesFox on May 06, 2012, 10:42:14 PM
I would say you are something of an anomaly. I don't read the rules. I just know them. And Azzie can avoid post 8000 as long as he does nothing but post in this thread.  Wait that means he will never post in the RP again... D:
what Rp do you speak of sir?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

ShadesFox

Quote from: e_voyager on May 07, 2012, 12:12:43 AM

Yes
The All Purpose Fox

Azlan

Quote from: ShadesFox on May 07, 2012, 09:53:15 PM

Yes

No

ShadesFox

Quote from: Azlan on May 07, 2012, 10:59:05 PM

Yes

No

Maybe
The All Purpose Fox

littlekreen

e_voyager

Quote from: ShadesFox on May 07, 2012, 11:16:17 PM

Yes

No

Maybe

are you poking fun at me?
is it really that entertaining?

Gabi

Quote from: littlekreen on May 07, 2012, 11:22:57 PM
Is there a Schrodinger's fox?
No. Foxes cannot be owned.

Quote from: e_voyager on May 08, 2012, 03:03:36 AM
Quote from: ShadesFox on May 07, 2012, 11:16:17 PM

Yes

No

Maybe

are you poking fun at me?
is it really that entertaining?
That's a definite maybe.

Darkdragon

Can you demonstrate how you can describe the answer to this question, and how you came to the answer?

Azlan

Quote from: Darkdragon on May 09, 2012, 01:18:14 AM
Can you demonstrate how you can describe the answer to this question, and how you came to the answer?

Yes.   :rolleyes