26/05/08 [Abel 2 #18]- Is Destania Still Here

Started by Naldru, May 26, 2008, 12:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on May 26, 2008, 03:29:07 PM
Hmm... that's another thing that's been bugging me for a while. Destania is obviously not a weak fighter. (Consider Abel's and Alexsi's respect for her combat abilities.) 7000 years is probably way past the point where crossbow bolts without some serious magical buffs will be any threat.

This is just guesswork, but I was under the impression that you basically had to become tri-wing in order to reach a state where you can't die by normal means.

QuoteEveryone seems to be assuming (probably because of the torches and pitchfork crowd at the inn) that it was Adventurers of some kind who jumped Destania after she left SAIA. I can't find any official, Amber-supported references to that effect. Given her power level, I really don't see that happening. She's almost as old as Fa'Lina.

But I rather doubt she's as powerful as Fa'Lina is.  I'm not sure it really matters who it was that attacked her initially.  If she (really) was sufficiently weakened, a bunch of adventurers could finish the job, regardless of who started it.

QuoteIt makes a lot more sense for her assailants to have been slightly larger, and of the prone to fire-breathing persuasion. Either that, or completely imaginary. >:]
Assuming an actual foe, that's a pretty sensible theory.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on May 26, 2008, 02:08:25 AM
If we only knew what is going on between Destania and Aniz!... Either way, I am all but sure that Edward is Aniz (in disguise) now. And yes, I think Aniz "replaced" Edward with himself after Alexi's birth.

There may not be any replacing going on here at all, Edward, if he really is Aniz, could have been Aniz all this time.  Still in the baby making business, and the time would have been about right if Alexei was intended to be his next child to bring to the Academy.

1) Alexei's mother is not Destina, it was someone else (unnamed?).  Cubi + beings roll the cosmic die when determining if their offspring are going to be cubi.  Alexei simply rolled Not Cubi.  Another case of Devin if Aniz is his father, too.  Maybe something happened to him during the three centuries that made him decide to stay with Alexei, instead of abandoning her.

2) Something happens to Alexei's mom (was it ever explained how she died?)  Edwards/Aniz meets up with Destinia, being chased by the lynching mob.  He saves her life, protecting her from the crowd.  And you know the rest of the story.  That makes me think of a couple of things:

a) Destinia didn't know if Dan would be cubi or not -- she assumed that he would have a shot at the cosmic dice too.  Unless I'm mistaken, the dice are rolled only when Cubi + non-Cubi are involved, right?  So that means Destinia wouldn't know that Edwards is cubi, if it really is Aniz in another disguise.

b) If that is true, then there may be a lot of hell coming up if there is animosity between Aniz and Destina, and she learns the truth.

Just some thoughts.  Doesn't mean anything until we learn more about Edwards.

Alondro

I simply don't see how it's possible that Destania wouldn't figure out Edward was Aniz unless she never ever read his mind and never really looked at him carefully (seeing as how there'd be.. ahem... certains times in their relationship when she'd be able to see his clan marking).

Cubi can't hide from each other very well.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

GabrielsThoughts

speculating is for spectators... if you want to be involved you gotta force the prediction into reality.

For instance, I say  ANIZ is in fact Merlitz from the future.

I have no evidence to back this up...and absolutely no proof whatsoever,and  I can't  ever be proven wrong, unless Amber reveals the truth, which would mean that I've forced her into doing so, which in turn usualy reveals more information than speculation alone. thus giving us a clearer view of what is to come.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Naldru

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 26, 2008, 12:06:14 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on May 26, 2008, 09:24:52 AM
On the other hand, the idea that she knew immediately despite her injuries and exhaustion and had to destroy him because he was Aniz and they had some kind of clan squabble is rather an interesting one.

What amazes me is that despite all the speculation peeps have thrown out, no one has ever made the assumption that when Destania came in all "weak and injured", that she was faking it...
Very interesting.

My first thought is that cubi aren't really known for modesty, which pretending to be weaker than she was would amount to.

My next thought is that I can think of a reason for Destania to pretend weakness: to learn Aniz's true feelings towards her.  Would he risk his life to defend her?  (He did.)  Would he be willing to die rather than fight her?  (He was.)

I don't know if you have ever read As You Like It by William Shakespeare.  In it, two women escape to the forest to avoid political plots and disguise themselves as men for protection.  While in the forest, they meet their would be suitors.  There are two ways of putting on this play.

The women have fooled the men.

The men have fooled the women into believing that the women have fooled the men.

How is this connected to DMFA?  Perhaps everybody is just fooling around.

Amber is great.  Amber is wise.  Amber is excellent at messing with our heads.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Psaakyrn

On the other hand, the idea that she knew immediately despite her injuries and exhaustion and had to destroy him because he was Aniz and they had some kind of clan squabble is rather an interesting one.

What amazes me is that despite all the speculation peeps have thrown out, no one has ever made the assumption that when Destania came in all "weak and injured", that she was faking it...

2 reasons: reference link: http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_298.php
a) Would Aniz forget Destinia so easily? (unless that is a disguize.)
b) Why would Destinia give a warning, assuming that isn't Aniz?

And 1 more for good measure: http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_297.php
No bracer far as I can tell there.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

GabrielsThoughts

If a hundred people ganged up on a single monster, would that really be a fair fight? Considering  the possibilities, even if the monster only had more years of experience, and was physically more powerful than ten individuals, it really wouldn't be an entirely fair fight.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Teroniss

You know what, for the hell of it, I'm gonna throw my own crazy speculation out there.

Destania leaves SAIA at the behest of Fa'Lina to bring back Aniz, while she was seeking him out, she did something that got the attention of local adventurers, leading up to her's and Edward's meeting. Wangbangbam, Dan is born and Destania gives up her assignment and life at SAIA. Aniz, who comes back to SAIA of his own accord some years later, finds out that Destania had been sent out to find him, he leaves to find her, and finds out she's been wed to a Being. Out of some form of jealously or another, he teams up the Dragons to kidnap Edward in an attempt to get to Destania, leading up to current events.

Aleolus

Hmm, perhaps I was wrong.  It's not that Fa'Lina is in love with Aniz, Aniz and Destiana can't stand each other, and Fa'Lina is wanting to try and patch things up between them!  The pieces begin to fall together, Amber, wonderful work!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Psaakyrn on May 26, 2008, 10:30:41 PM
We also can't see the wrist where the mark would be if he is Aniz.

Turnsky

yep, fuel for plot twists, those are.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 27, 2008, 04:09:54 AM
We also can't see the wrist where the mark would be if he is Aniz.

We can't, but he is in a tavern. Other's would've noticed. (though he could claim it's a tattoo...) More importantly, Destinia would've noticed. More, more importantly, if that was Aniz, he'd know any cubi would've noticed.

Though I think there's a more important question anyway, what was Destinia's assignment?

And for some reason, I still have doubts that Dan is of the Cyra clan despite any evidence otherwise, or more precisely, because of the lack of evidence proving such.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Psaakyrn on May 27, 2008, 05:31:20 AM
We can't, but he is in a tavern. Other's would've noticed. (though he could claim it's a tattoo...)
Quite.  May thought Abel's mark was a tattoo.
QuoteMore importantly, Destinia would've noticed. More, more importantly, if that was Aniz, he'd know any cubi would've noticed.
Point.

QuoteAnd for some reason, I still have doubts that Dan is of the Cyra clan despite any evidence otherwise, or more precisely, because of the lack of evidence proving such.
It's in his bio and he's got the Cyra Clan heads.  Though I grant there's an interesting discrepancy between Dee's wing-heads and her son's.

Now for a theory even I don't really believe - we've never found out what Aniz' clan is called.  What if their founder was called Ti'Fiona?

Alondro

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 27, 2008, 06:03:00 AM
Now for a theory even I don't really believe - we've never found out what Aniz' clan is called.  What if their founder was called Ti'Fiona?

Or worse!  What if the clan founder was named D'Lyon!!   D:

*Charline*   :mwaha

Fat chance.   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

joshofspam

even though I'm having trouble keeping up with the theories one that comes to mind is destania meets edward at the pub seemingly injured now she could have been faking but what was her reason if it was aniz then maybe she came to kill him and that would give more of an understanding of how they feel about each other and how their laws work but maybe she needed something from him but if edward is just edward maybe she's just rebuilding the clan similar but not exactly like aniz is. with another thought who's to say if edward and aniz did meet that aniz did kill him and not the other way around aniz may be more powerful but but edward might have still had a chance and that might explain the reaction she had towards him in another way that she saw edward as a threat at first because she senced that he killed aniz or she came to avenge or to dispose of a potential threat to her or the cubi race i just love this storyand it kees you guessing no matter how many times you get something wrong :P
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: joshofspam on May 27, 2008, 01:52:52 PM
even though I'm having trouble keeping up with the theories one that comes to mind is destania meets edward at the pub seemingly injured now she could have been faking but what was her reason if it was aniz then maybe she came to kill him and that would give more of an understanding of how they feel about each other and how their laws work but maybe she needed something from him but if edward is just edward maybe she's just rebuilding the clan similar but not exactly like aniz is. with another thought who's to say if edward and aniz did meet that aniz did kill him and not the other way around aniz may be more powerful but but edward might have still had a chance and that might explain the reaction she had towards him in another way that she saw edward as a threat at first because she senced that he killed aniz or she came to avenge or to dispose of a potential threat to her or the cubi race i just love this storyand it kees you guessing no matter how many times you get something wrong :P

Josh, let me introduce you to something you don't appear to have met before.

It's called a "full stop", or a "period", depending on where in the world you are. It's used to designate the end of sentences. Just like that. It's also used to indicate where you paused for thought. You did pause for thought, didn't you, Josh? Doing otherwise would be spamming, and that's frowned upon.

Another thing you might not have met is called a "comma"; that's used to indicate a where you paused for breath.

A final thing, for this lesson, is called the "enter key" - liberal use of this will break your posts up into strange, obscure things called "paragraphs".

Liberal use of these will ensure people actually read your posts, which may increase the likelihood of people paying attention to what you've said. Otherwise they'll just ignore you, and nobody likes that.

A word from the wise...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

DarkAudit

2 reasons: reference link: http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_298.php
a) Would Aniz forget Destinia so easily? (unless that is a disguize.)
b) Why would Destinia give a warning, assuming that isn't Aniz?

It's a flashback told from Alexi's POV, so can't be taken as gospel.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Clicky

She kinda screamed 'faking it' when she started glowing blue and produced head wings and stuff... Which is kinda why I doubt Aniz=Edward.

I should really pay more attention to the forums... And not lose my password. Again. ^^;

AmigaDragon

Noticing the date on this, is this Abel update taking the place of the main story's update (because it's late), or is the main strip also pushing back a day (seeing that 907 was out on friday and it's already late tuesday and it's still up as "current")?

If Amber just needs a slight break to stabilize the update schedule, that's ok. I was just wondering.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Ragesquid

Been reading some theories here, lately. Thought I'd throw out some stuff.

Abel -does- have a connection with Edward. http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_527.php This hasn't been brought up, why?

Personally, I liked the Edward-killed-Aniz threory. :B

AmigaDragon

The connection was mentioned already (by me, I just misremembered at the time who brought it up to Abel), just no details yet on what that connection between Abel and Edward is. Regardless of all the theories bouncing about, I still say Edward isn't Aniz. As was theorized at least once, Edward may have eliminated Aniz.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

e_voyager

Quote from: AmigaDragon on May 27, 2008, 07:46:06 PM
Noticing the date on this, is this Abel update taking the place of the main story's update (because it's late), or is the main strip also pushing back a day (seeing that 907 was out on friday and it's already late tuesday and it's still up as "current")?

If Amber just needs a slight break to stabilize the update schedule, that's ok. I was just wondering.

let her take as much time as she needs/ wants. she works so hard when she's here that she's entitles to take vacations 
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Aurawyn

Aurawyn

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 27, 2008, 06:03:00 AM
Quote from: Psaakyrn on May 27, 2008, 05:31:20 AM
And for some reason, I still have doubts that Dan is of the Cyra clan despite any evidence otherwise, or more precisely, because of the lack of evidence proving such.
It's in his bio and he's got the Cyra Clan heads.  Though I grant there's an interesting discrepancy between Dee's wing-heads and her son's.

The shape and size of the Tentacle heads could just be an individual thing.. I tend to believe just having them.. is granted by the Clan Founder...

Eibborn

Megan is the theoretical offspring of Dan and Matilda, I believe.
/kicks the internet over

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Aurawyn on May 28, 2008, 01:37:53 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on May 26, 2008, 03:01:35 PM
and indeed when discussing Megan, her exact words were

Who's Megan?

http://missmab.com/Demo/HG02.php

In the last panel. That's Megan. There was some discussion at the time the Hybrid Genetics strip was posted as to what to call her, and Our Glorious Artist chipped in with something like "I call her Megan." to stifle the wanton speculation.

I believe she also suggested that Megan won't ever appear in the strip, which I consider to be a shame, but it's not my story to tell (and thank goodness for that - Amber does a far better job than I would.)

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 28, 2008, 10:08:52 AM
I believe she also suggested that Megan won't ever appear in the strip, which I consider to be a shame, but it's not my story to tell (and thank goodness for that - Amber does a far better job than I would.)
It would foul things up somewhat if she did appear, because Dan is liable to disappear off to SAIA for a few centuries.  Granted, she would likely follow in a couple of decades but it would make things even more awkward than they are now.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 28, 2008, 10:18:14 AM
It would foul things up somewhat if she did appear, because Dan is liable to disappear off to SAIA for a few centuries.  Granted, she would likely follow in a couple of decades but it would make things even more awkward than they are now.

Yeah. Being better than your Dad at everything you do? Awwwkward!

PurpleCheeseLlama

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 27, 2008, 01:58:26 PM
Quote from: joshofspam on May 27, 2008, 01:52:52 PM

Josh, let me introduce you to something you don't appear to have met before.

It's called a "full stop", or a "period", depending on where in the world you are. It's used to designate the end of sentences. Just like that. It's also used to indicate where you paused for thought. You did pause for thought, didn't you, Josh? Doing otherwise would be spamming, and that's frowned upon.

Another thing you might not have met is called a "comma"; that's used to indicate a where you paused for breath.

A final thing, for this lesson, is called the "enter key" - liberal use of this will break your posts up into strange, obscure things called "paragraphs".

Liberal use of these will ensure people actually read your posts, which may increase the likelihood of people paying attention to what you've said. Otherwise they'll just ignore you, and nobody likes that.

A word from the wise...

He has a point, I gave up after the first line XD

Firelancer

In the flashbacks, which might not be accurate, you can see Edward's right forearm.  There isn't any clan marking, which can't be hidden.

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_297.php