Help DMFA pick a flag to fly over Planet Bob!

Started by Tezkat, May 04, 2008, 02:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which flag should we use to represent DMFA in CyberNations?

OPTION A
2 (22.2%)
OPTION B
4 (44.4%)
OPTION C
3 (33.3%)
OTHER (Specify)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: May 11, 2008, 02:37:28 PM

Tezkat

Okay...

Let's take advantage of this roomy new arena with some polls! :3

Our little DMFA alliance needs a new flag to represent it in the crazy, warlike world of CyberNations, otherwise known as Planet Bob. I put together a simple design. It was originally supposed to be a box with headwings or some such, but it kinda worked as a highly stylized mow design. We mostly liked the design, but we couldn't decide on the colours.

Here are the three finalists:

Quote from: OPTION A

Quote from: OPTION B

Quote from: OPTION C

We do need to pick a candidate sometime soon know, since the treaty we just signed will be officially announced in the near future, and our flag will join dozens of others on a massive web of pacts and inter-alliance relations.

It's okay for non CN players to vote as well. First impressions are important, after all. Do any of the flags exude DMFA-themed coolness?

Or... can you do better? I know we have some talented artists here who can offer new ideas...

:kittycool

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

techmaster-glitch

I'd have to say Option A myself, but I want to see if there are any other things submitted.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tezkat

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on May 04, 2008, 03:41:33 PM
I'd have to say Option A myself, but I want to see if there are any other things submitted.

I enabled vote-changing on this poll, by the way. So if you want to vote for a tentative choice and then switch if something better comes along, you can. :3

Tezkat

Well... the treaty's already been announced, so I guess the second flag won by default. It was almost a three-way tie, anyway.

Democracy fails again! :mowtongue

James StarRunner

Heh... I either wanted B or C so it worked out for me anyways.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tezkat on May 07, 2008, 02:39:35 PM
Democracy fails again! :mowtongue

Well, they -have- said they can change it later...

plus they're linking to llearch.net .... *evil grin*

Tezkat

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 07, 2008, 04:39:00 PM
Well, they -have- said they can change it later...

plus they're linking to llearch.net .... *evil grin*

Well... is anyone willing to break the tie before the poll ends? >:]

It's already out in public, though. Heck, it's already in the wiki. :animesweat

Speaking of which... I guess it's time to start working on a CN wiki page. Suggestions?

Darkdragon

Taking a quick look at the other alliance pages, it seems like we need to hammer out a charter. Funny how we seem to do everything the other way around. (eg. flag)

llearch n'n'daCorna

We have a charter.

"Don't screw things up for other people. Don't go attacking stupidly, and if you do, we reserve the right to laugh at your flailings. If anyone attacks you unexpectedly, we'll think about helping."

Isn't that a summary of most charters anyway?

Tezkat

Um... no, actually. :animesweat Sure, most other CN alliances are large enough to require charters full of administrative junk concerning membership and chains of command, but the important parts are rather different than the values you described.

The core of a CN alliance charter should reflect the notion that an attack on any member constitutes an attack on the alliance as a whole and justification for reprisal by other members. After all, protection against outside attack represents the fundamental raison d'ĂȘtre of an alliance. Our historical lack of support for each other in defence against raiders stemmed--I hope--from lack of ability rather than lack of will. Seeing as how our new protectorate status removes the stumbling block of the former, why wouldn't we automatically rally to our friends' aid? We just signed a treaty in which over 11 million NS worth of nations agreed to come to our aid in the event that someone declares war on us--and that's just in the immediate context of the PEACE bloc. In practice, just like when we were on our own against overwhelming force, casus foederis may not apply to fights they don't think they can win, but the official wording--and the spirit of the agreement--is still stronger than "We'll think about it."

Likewise for unsanctioned wars of aggression. For the most part, we're too large not to suffer political ramifications for starting fights. It's grounds for our expulsion from Pegasus, for one thing. I think endangering the alliance like that rather clearly violates the "Don't screw things up for other people." clause of your charter. There are very few nations in this league of play not connected by MDP webs to half of Planet Bob. As soon as they show up in the war list, they'll be gang raped until they either quit the game or join forces with someone large enough to protect them. You know... alliances whose charters include the "attack our buddies, and we'll mess up you good" clause. We've been there.

llearch n'n'daCorna

"If you fuck with us, you fuck with all of us" ?

Granted. Maybe I'm cynical (being phone called for something that I'd expect the caller to have been able to resolve at 5:30am does that to me) but I think most of them "don't screw with us" and "don't screw things up for everyone else" limits are covered in the two sentences I put up there.

Whilst "thinking about it" is perhaps less specific than what we've done in the past... isn't it really accurate? "We'll think about it" == we'll think about it, really. It might not require much thought, but validating that the person in question didn't start things, and is being attacked, is still thinking, no?

And yes, anyone who starts fights is messing with clause 1. I still think:

1: Don't screw things up for everyone else by making trouble.
2: If someone screws things up for you, we'll help.

... is enough of a charter to cover most issues, provided the people reading it have a higher IQ than room temp...

Valynth

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 08, 2008, 10:03:05 AM
... is enough of a charter to cover most issues, provided the people reading it have a higher IQ than room temp...

This is the internet llearch.  You should know better than to rely on people being intelligent.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Valynth on May 08, 2008, 09:37:23 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 08, 2008, 10:03:05 AM
This is the internet llearch.  You should know better than to rely on people being intelligent.

I know better than to rely on -anyone- being intelligent, Internet or not.

On the other hand, the players we actually have left have proven themselves reasonably sane.