Looking for Co-GM (OOC... not even sure if this belong here)

Started by Ryan_Galen, April 17, 2008, 10:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan_Galen

Ok, way back on the Nice forum I attempted to run an RP. Can't say it went well, but it certainly did go terrible either. The RP was running into a bit of a hiatus right when the forum was getting read to make its move, so there was a decision to wait until the forum was up and running here on clockwork before trying to breathe life into it.

As you can see, while the forum moved, it took me a very long time to follow. I've really been mostly a Gaming Guardian anyway, but I digress...

In any case, while I probably should leave it for dead, I won't. I had a story I wanted people to experience, and they're going to experience it or I'll die trying. Mind you, I'm not expecting the original players to return or anything. In the long run, I'm not sure if they'd want to, or if I'd want them too. Some of the best players were also some of the worst players, and it was all my fault.

I'm not some fresh off the wall GM. I've run RPs before, sometimes good, sometimes bad, and never great... unless one counts... nah, that one was a pain to run no matter how much people enjoyed it. The important point of this self tare down is that I know my weaknesses as a GM. So I'm looking for a Co-GM this time to hopefully keep things running smoother.

So...

Your existing GM
Me. As I said, I know my faults. And here they are...

1) I have trouble going against the players as they bend the rules. This is the biggest reason I need a Co-GM. I have trouble slapping people down when they do something wrong. In the previous attempt of this RP we had cubi mindreading being interpreted as all out telepathy, and people trying to raise the dead... in a low powered campaign. Can't have that again...

2) I have trouble moving on. Meaning if a player lags behind I have trouble leaving them behind even if it means the death of the RP. I'm working on this part, but it's a hard part to work on.

3) Anxiety of delay. If I fall off the ball, I fall off the wagon. If I delay for too long I start to have trouble coming back... and this is a no good reason problem, not a busy problem. Anxiety is the best description because... well... when you think of the thread, in fact think of the forum the thread is in, and you break out in a cold sweat, what else do you call it? Works as a coop-de-gra when combined with flaw 2.

The third flaw I'm just going to have to work on and dog myself about, but number one and two will be easier if I have someone there helping me.

Oh, and one more thing.

4) Names. Having another brain involved will help with this. I mean... I named a country after my depression medication at the time in the previous RP. I can't create decent original names with any consistency.

The setting
Well, I mentioned cubi up there, so it should be of little surprise that this world is set in Furrae, the setting Amber created of DMFA. Timeline is most likely in spitting range of the comics time, but that's a detail I'm more then willing to reimagine with the CoGM when he/she volunteers. Location is certainly far enough away from Lost Lake to make any time almost a moot point, but we shall see.

Now, one part I'm keeping is that things start out in a nice little mythos city. A mythos city with some past and development this time, but still mostly the same city. Things will quickly move from that location to another... probably almost instantly, but that's another thing to talk over with the CoGM.

And this is probably the section I should mention: this will be funny. In the first attempt I mentioned that I would be attempting to direct this story along a mood similar to the original DMFA story. I realize that was a mistake since there are two different extremes one can view the comic, but I digress: there will be humor. I'll try to keep it from rapid firing down your through, but no complaining of things getting to silly. If some of the humor can come from the player, good. Ryan's a straight man, so all we'll need is one or two more. If they're NPC or PC depends on the players we get.

Ryan Galen
Yes, he gets his own section. My motivation behind this RP was for it to be an 'if then what' thing about Ryan. "If Ryan was a Furrae native, then what..." blah blah. I said this to the first RP, and I'm saying it right now. Not changing.

The important thing to known about this is that Ryan isn't taking a leader role in this little adventure. He isn't taking a sponsor or benefactor role either. He's taking the role of damsel. Not only damsel, but damsel to a bunch of unlikely nonadventurer heroes. Assuming things go right.

So, Co-GM
If you've read all this and are interested at all in being a Co-GM... I'm shocked, but that's probably the low self esteem talking.

Please remember to keep in mind my flaws when compared to your own as a GM, and decide if the setting I'm trying to run is one you'd like to run. If so, speak up so we can start talking about the details I can't just reveal to the public due to concern about potential players.

In the likely event that no one responds... well I'll give it a week at most then start considering my options for another solo attempt.

In the unlikely event that more then one person responds... well we'll burn those bridges when the improbable happens.

So... any interested parties?

techmaster-glitch

*tentatively pokes head in*
I may be willing to attempt a co-GM role...I don't really have much on my resume, but it would probably be good experience for me if I decide to run my own RP in the future. I was (and if it ever gets back up, still am) actually already the co-GM of the entire Villain's League vs. Hero's League RP, and full GM of the Heroes. Since I was relatively inexperienced back then, I may have made a few scaleling mistakes...but one thing that I have going for me at least is that I am a fairly fast learner. I make a mistake, and if I can analyze what exactly went wrong, it ususally isn't repeated. Another interesting note is that tomorrow, it is actually going to be my turn for the first time to be the DM of my DnD group, so I'll be getting experience from that end simultaneously, though that may or may not turn out well.

But I'm digressing a bit. The two things you actually need a co-GM for, rule-enforcing and move along, I think I might be able to qualify adequately. If need be, I can find guns and stick to them, and since I check the forum nearly every day, I can also provide nudges appropriately if needed.

But I'll have to wait a day or two before solidifying anything. As I said, I'm going with my DnD buddies tomorrow, and when I'm with them, they deliberately keep me away from all computers because I take too long on them. Worst case scenario, you won't hear another word from me until Saturday afternoon.

llearch n'n'daCorna

*raises hand, also*

I'll happily stand in line, though.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ryan_Galen

Two people. One, a complete stranger. The other, someone I don't really know but certainly recognize from the DMFA forums. No clue which one of you I'll work best with, of course, so I'll give you both a scan of some of the deeper data and see how you react.

PMs forthcoming.

e_voyager

I wanted to be a gaming guardian back a while ago. too bad i never applied but i could never come up with a decent character for them. ah well if you start up a new rp here i want to try may had at it.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Miaka

(I apologize for the somewhat thread-necro. but... yeah.)

I don't know if you'd still want me to join this rp if you started it up again, with how inactive I was in the first one, but I'd definately love to give it a shot again.
I'm a bit hesitant to volunteer for being a Co-GM, especailly considering how bad i am at yelling at people. >>;;
But... just letting you know that i am still interested.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Yeah, uh, Hmm.

This hasn't _started_ yet. Ryan is still working on it.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Miaka

I know it hasn't started yet, but... Yeah.
Just getting it out there. <<

Azlan

Quote from: Miaka on June 07, 2008, 11:21:19 AM

I'm a bit hesitant to volunteer for being a Co-GM, especailly considering how bad i am at yelling at people. >>;;

Indeed, you let me ruin the entire SAIA RP and never once stopped me... bad, bad.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Miaka

Quote from: Azlan on June 08, 2008, 07:05:29 PM
Quote from: Miaka on June 07, 2008, 11:21:19 AM

Indeed, you let me ruin the entire SAIA RP and never once stopped me... bad, bad.
Haha... I definately don't even really remember what it was you did there. >>
...granted, i think that was also after I sorta gave up on that rp... a pity. Was fun while it lasted.

Ryan_Galen

Um... eep? I'm writing it now. Most of it is already done, just hashing out the details of how to say things without carrying on and on and... well you get the point.

And Miaka, could you give me a refresher of who you were? Your name is familar, but I just can't place the character.

Miaka

Uhm... my characters was the white+blue squirrel/ice-mage... I was away/busy/lazy a lot, so I didn't post half as much as some of the others... and honestly didn't do much, but... yeah.