Well, that couldn't have gone more wrong...

Started by rabid_fox, April 12, 2008, 03:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareeku

^ one of the reasons why some people don't like America i.e. they see them as arrogant.

A lot of representation of America is fed to us through the Media. The media only shows people what they want to show them, so a lot of negative opinion, in the Western world anyway, can be seen as molded by the media.

Alondro

Quote from: Volfram on April 16, 2008, 12:11:37 PM
  I agree with the smoking crater strategy, too.  Speaking of which, why is Afghanistan not glass yet!?

Well, in the case of Afghanistan, we knew the general region Bin Ladin was hiding in, so we'd only have had to turn that region into glass.  Resource conservation!   :3

As for Americans being thought of as arrogant, that's just because the people of the rest of the world are jealous because we're better than they are!

Well... not all Americans... just some... namely me...   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Gareeku

Quote from: Alondro on April 16, 2008, 04:07:35 PM
Quote from: Volfram on April 16, 2008, 12:11:37 PM
  I agree with the smoking crater strategy, too.  Speaking of which, why is Afghanistan not glass yet!?

Well, in the case of Afghanistan, we knew the general region Bin Ladin was hiding in, so we'd only have had to turn that region into glass.  Resource conservation!   :3

As for Americans being thought of as arrogant, that's just because the people of the rest of the world are jealous because we're better than they are!

:B

But as I said, the media has had a large part to play in all of this. They only tell the public what they want to. It's like stereotypes. The fact that a lot of English people are viewed as arrogant and snobbish if because of the media. It's like when they slap hundreds of Jihad videos made by people up on the news. They don't show the vast majority who condemn it. It makes a good story to instill panic and fear within the viewing audience.

Fuyudenki

Hey way, everything I've got to offer and it's arrogance you accuse me of?

If that's my biggest problem, then I'm doing better than I thought.

Gareeku

If you actually read my post , you would have seen that I said it might be ONE of the reasons why some people might not like America.

Fuyudenki

It's still the only one you mentioned, which means it's the one you notice most.

As opposed to, say... my family would be more worried that I tend to consider the annihilation of some 70% of the world's population to be a good idea.

Even if I only say it as a joke... usually...

Alondro

Quote from: Volfram on April 17, 2008, 12:50:40 AM
It's still the only one you mentioned, which means it's the one you notice most.

As opposed to, say... my family would be more worried that I tend to consider the annihilation of some 70% of the world's population to be a good idea.

Even if I only say it as a joke... usually...

Welcome to the Legions, my new Apprentice.   >:3

EDIT:  I just happened upon this Liberte?

Interesting.  France has made even voicing one's opinion illegal it seems.  So much for their so-called freedom!

And yet, Muslims had riots in France and burned things.  Somehow, I find that a wee bit more threatening and worthy of punishment than a letter from a burnt-out 73 year old actress.   :rolleyes

America has the most freedom of speech.  Nyah!
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Brunhidden

Quote from: Alondro on April 16, 2008, 04:07:35 PM

heres a fun one- large chunks of the united states of america are actually considered 'third world', so it kinda evens us out to around on par with the quality of living found in Romania if you take it as an average instead of only looking at the movie stars and CEOs

for instance health care officials from Massachusetts were sent to Africa to learn how to increase coverage of vaccinations. in Massachusetts coverage was hovering about fifty percent, where African officials were able to reach over ninety percent. other nice ones are entire cities completely without running water, have unemployment rates running upwards of thirty to fifty percent, or have outbreaks of diseases that we haven't seen sinse Victorian times
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Rakala

Quote from: Alondro on April 12, 2008, 09:18:31 PM
It is time for me to begin The Cleansing.   :mwaha
I'll help if I get to die last.

Valynth

Quote from: Alondro on April 17, 2008, 08:19:34 AM
Interesting.  France has made even voicing one's opinion illegal it seems.  So much for their so-called freedom!

I thought Napoleon got rid of that notion...
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Eibborn

/kicks the internet over