03/26/08 [DMFA #890] - The surprisingly feminine hero

Started by MT Hazard, March 26, 2008, 06:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cogidubnus

Omega

Well, when I first saw Dan I too thought that he was a girl.

A fine update, Miss Artist. Bravo!

Angel

FINALLY. I'm surprised he didn't realize this the moment girls were dumped on him. And I feel your pain, Amber. I just spent the last two weeks getting over the voice-killing coughy death-germ. You might start to sound like Rachael Ray eventually...

Yay! The smart DP grunts have showed up! Now the story can get cool fight scenes!
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

stiletto

It's not like I'd have to worry about Graz's glasses getting any more broken... He's a lawyer though, he'll bury you in paper work or something. That stuff is dangerous.

And wait, Dan's not a girl?!

GabrielsThoughts

Well duh, Dan's obviously thee same gender as Abel.... Tails, and Ranma Saotome
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Aleolus

><  Dan is not a woman!  The Amazon's were being nice to him because he is just so hot and smexy that they couldn't resist him!  He's got more masculinity than all of the other guys at Lost Lake put together, and probably has a larger manhood than any of them!

terrycloth

Well, there's no accounting for shapeshifting. Or tentacles. Or shapeshifting tentacles. But pyroduck probably has the biggest manhood if everyone's in their natural form. >:3

Furour

It moments like this that make my day.

Male characters mistaken sexuality is high on my humor list, and i pretty much adore Dan. And plus, his nick-name can be a girls name too.

DarkAudit

Quote from: Black_angel on March 26, 2008, 03:47:03 PM
FINALLY. I'm surprised he didn't realize this the moment girls were dumped on him. And I feel your pain, Amber. I just spent the last two weeks getting over the voice-killing coughy death-germ. You might start to sound like Rachael Ray eventually...

RaeRay? A fate worse than death.  D:
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Brunhidden on March 26, 2008, 06:53:19 AM
but the question now is what the amazons will think of dan once he 'reveals' himself as being estrogen challenged. really, do amazons hate anyone with a package or is there some other explanation they don't have men?
No, an Amazon society would have gender roles reversed (except for child bearing) from the majority of other cultures. Women would be the hunters and men would be the gatherers, women are the warriors and men stay at home to tend the house, women lead and men follow.
If they hated men, how would their society survive? I don't know of any case where two females can concieve  a child without a male contributing. Hate would put a damper on the society's continuation.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: AmigaDragon on March 26, 2008, 06:35:48 PM
No, an Amazon society would have gender roles reversed (except for child bearing) from the majority of other cultures. Women would be the hunters and men would be the gatherers, women are the warriors and men stay at home to tend the house, women lead and men follow.
If they hated men, how would their society survive? I don't know of any case where two females can concieve  a child without a male contributing. Hate would put a damper on the society's continuation.
The might have a solution similar to the Gerudos from The Legend Of Zelda. In the Ocarina Of Time, it is said that that sometimes sneak off to Hyrule Town to look for boyfriends.

ConfusedNewbie

... Oh hellz yes!

This should prove to get Quite interesting.

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 26, 2008, 07:33:14 PM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on March 26, 2008, 06:35:48 PM
The might have a solution similar to the Gerudos from The Legend Of Zelda. In the Ocarina Of Time, it is said that that sometimes sneak off to Hyrule Town to look for boyfriends.

*Ha-hem*  I don't suppose anyone counted the possibility of a race of fairly aggressive women having male slaves, as well...

Regardless, the Amazons of Furrae would seem to be more tame than that, in the same way that the 'Cubi are different from their real-world legendary counterparts.  In that sense I vote for the two former scenarios. x3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Zedd

Ah girly hair...Where it is full of problems towards the future of their life!

Fresnor

Does anyone else notice that the feline in panel two is wearing the same outfit that Mab does?  It's a different color but other than that looks like an exact copy...  *observes Amber for possible sneaky foreshadowing*

MT Hazard

Quote from: Fresnor on March 26, 2008, 07:59:15 PM
Does anyone else notice that the feline in panel two is wearing the same outfit that Mab does?  It's a different color but other than that looks like an exact copy...  *observes Amber for possible sneaky foreshadowing*

If you noticed that then then fact that one of Dan's wings has apparently gone invisible in certain panels  should blow you away...
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Alondro

*Charline hee hee!*  Dan's already being mistaken for a girl!  So it's a late cameo, eh?  So I'll maybe be in the comic in 2012?  Hey!  The world's ending then!  No fair!   :< 

*Charles notes that Amber is sick again*  That's why I drink lots of oolong tea.  It helps with resisting colds and stuff.  Plus, the body does need some sunshine for vitamin D.  Now, I know sunshine hasn't been invented in Canada, but maybe she can import some from Florida or something.   ;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Jack McSlay

As for amazon culture, It varies in conception. According to DC comics (wonder woman) they seem to despise men. But according to Ranma 1/2, they despise any woman who's not in their clan but will marry the guy who defeats them in a fight
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Kishyka_Stormwalker

QuoteNot to mention there are plenty of other ways of pointing males out (thickness and callousness of hands for example), but I guess most of those don't apply in a world of furres.   

*Looks down at her hands, rough and calloused from working in a coal lab.*

Um....I suppose.  Then again I am mistaken for a guy in many online worlds.
Great job as always, Amber. Hope you and your hubby feel better soon. We have been trading that virus back and forth at work.

-Kish

zopey

i knew it! i knew dan had been mistaken for a girl! this is why shanna had left her top off for so long.

wait...
has anyone noticed cuddles lying in the bottem of panel three? is she OK?

Cvstos

I really like the blue/gray cat in the background.  Reminds me of one of my characters a bit.  You know, Dan might be able to avoid being hurt in this affair by breaking the Web-PG rating and making certain readers happy and other readers unable to wait for the next comic.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Jadian

Quote from: zopey on March 27, 2008, 02:13:31 AM
i knew it! i knew dan had been mistaken for a girl! this is why shanna had left her top off for so long.

wait...
has anyone noticed cuddles lying in the bottem of panel three? is she OK?
Has she put her top back on?  :)  Though she may have, to fight those people outside the box...

And I think they just knocked them out for the moment.  After all, just because they're attacking doesn't mean that they want to lose possibly valuable specimens~

Schol-R-LEA

Well, it could be pointed out that some legends of Incubi/Succubi hold that they are actually  the same thing, inherently androgynous but capable of appearing masculine or feminine as needed. All of the incubi seen so far, except Aniz, seem to to bear this out (and even Aniz would probably seem a bit bishie without the goatee).

pause as someone points out Aaryanna, Fa'Lina, Destania, and all the other succubi shown to date

Er... never mind. It's just Amber poking fun at her own art again.

looks up as a scream pierces the air and watches in horror as the catgirl who had been curled up on the rafters falls to the floor dead

Oops, my bad. looks sheepish, then after a moment, puzzled Wait, since when does talking about the artist's self-deprecating humor count as real-world science? I'm pretty sure psychology doesn't count...

Oh, hold on, this isn't one of Amber's catgirls at  all! That ugly, muppet-like pre-teen thing - this wasn't God, this was the work of Randy Millholland! Damn you, Aubrey!

Grenn

Love Dan's face in the last panel, and the peeking out from around the corner in the middle one is great too. :D

Lucheek

Most Amazon myths have a total female society, that have male slaves, useually the males who try to conquer them. Children born male are killed.

I did read a couple where they would find men, come back, seduce them, and then kill them. And the baby boys were still killed.

Zedd

I dont know if this has been asked already but  is this B. Turner person someone we should know from here or we owe him a slap on the forhead?

stiletto

B. Turner is me (I'm not sure why she used a letter for my first name), I won the 'shortest story arc ever' auction, like Amber said, and this was one of my bonus prizes.

Amber Williams

I used the letter mainly cause one time I had someone who felt reaaally uncomfortable that I used their full name in the credits.  And another time when the person used their parents paypal to send money so I only had their character name and their parents name.

So in this case I decided to go the path of least mess-up.

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's also slightly better to go initial/surname than alias, which may vary later, or full name, which, as Amber says, they might not want on the 'net.

'course, in my case, you can be pretty sure the alias I have online is fairly stable, since I've had it for 12 years now. But others may vary...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mwa

Quote from: Paul on March 26, 2008, 08:25:49 AM
Quote from: Wanderer on March 26, 2008, 07:59:17 AM...Am I the only one who has never EVER been able to see anything remotely feminine about Dan, except when he dressed up specifically for Biggs?
Dan seems pretty masculine to me too, but then again, I'm not sure what the standards of manlihood are in the multi-species, any-shape-size-and-colour-goes DMFA universe.

At any rate, I now imagine Dan must have a rather feminine voice.

But seriously, the abductors really ought to have noticed his complete lack of boobs.

Currently, all the abductors have seen is a head with long hair poking out of a box which was supposed to be full of girls. It's a fairly logical step to assume that said long-haired person is a girl. :P