[Comic] 29/09/08 (Project Future Pg. 32 remixed)

Started by Tapewolf, March 01, 2008, 01:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber Williams

Joshua and Jakob is my OTP.  To the fanart-mobile! :U

I keed! I keed!

Though I am sorry to hear your compy is also giving you issues.  It seems to be a bad month for computers.

Ren Gaulen

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 14, 2008, 05:22:06 PM
You've given me an idea for a parody song! Now I just need the song to go with it! Must PM Tapewolf for information on Joshua and Jokab!

I keed! I keed!
Too late, Amber! It is done!

Though I am sorry to hear your compy is also giving you issues.  It seems to be a bad month for computers.
Agreed. Though in my case it was a fairly simple fix. Wish it was the same for you two.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

I fully expected someone to say something like that.  I just didn't expect it to be you...

QuoteThough I am sorry to hear your compy is also giving you issues.  It seems to be a bad month for computers.
Since I wrote that, it seems to have been behaving itself.  Nonetheless, I'm going to keep a close eye on it.

I still reckon it's the power supply, and I might get another one anyway, just in case.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 14, 2008, 05:28:41 PM
I fully expected someone to say something like that.  I just didn't expect it to be you...

That's only because she beat me to it! :U

*flies away*

I also echo the sentiments about your computer troubles. Hope it gets resolved soon, dude.

Sofox

Great comic Tape, seems to be coming along great so far.

And best of luck in dealing with your hardware and audio troubles.

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 12, 2008, 03:24:37 PMI could at a pinch assemble it in that too, but the font would be wrong and the speech bubbles would look crappy.
You know, you can add a font to GIMP just by copy-pasting the font file into the correct Gimp folder.
As for speech bubbles, I managed them okay for Marty the Platformer. All you do is create a selection area in the shape of your desired bubble, then go "stroke selection" while specifying paint brush (make sure you've already set the paint brush to the type of line you want to make).

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 14, 2008, 06:03:26 PM
That's only because she beat me to it! :U
I didn't expect it to be you, either.

**EDIT**
Wait, you're not Ren.  I take it back... I would expect it to be you  :P

Quote from: Sofox on September 14, 2008, 06:04:15 PM
Great comic Tape, seems to be coming along great so far.
And best of luck in dealing with your hardware and audio troubles.
Thanks.  I've just finished mixing down the rest of the album to my satisfaction, having aligned the machine by ear.  I'm disappointed that it had to be done that way, but unless I can get an audio-grade multimeter, it'll have to stay like that.  The results are good enough for my ears, anyway.  I just wish there was an extra day of the weekend I could use to finish it, after Saturday's wasted opportunity.  Maybe if I can sneak off early from work or something, but I have other things that need doing as well.

I suppose this is as good a time as any to point out that most of next weekend will be gone for me - Saturday (and probably a good portion of the week's evenings) will be spent tidying the house for Sunday, when my parents visit.  That's actually why I set this weekend aside for the mixdown.
The long and the short of it is that if the schedule slips with the lineart this time, I probably won't get a chance to colour it until Monday.  That said, the last two strips of episode 4 have mostly been done already (guest flashback!) - I'm hoping we can use one week of it to sort out a buffer when they run in a couple of weeks time.

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 12, 2008, 03:24:37 PMYou know, you can add a font to GIMP just by copy-pasting the font file into the correct Gimp folder.
If it's TTF, I know how to install those.  If it's some weird MacOS format, it could be tricky, thogh.  Either way, I'll have to figure out where the font actually is first.

QuoteAs for speech bubbles, I managed them okay for Marty the Platformer. All you do is create a selection area in the shape of your desired bubble, then go "stroke selection" while specifying paint brush (make sure you've already set the paint brush to the type of line you want to make).

This is a GIMP speech bubble (one of my first, actually):
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/games/rockon.jpg
It'll work, yes, it just won't look the same.  I'm a sucker for consistency  :3

Jack McSlay

"angels can do that too" huh?! but he's a cubi or an angel?
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Sofox

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 14, 2008, 06:33:31 PM
This is a GIMP speech bubble (one of my first, actually):
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/games/rockon.jpg
It'll work, yes, it just won't look the same.  I'm a sucker for consistency  :3
I'm sorry Tape, you've just challenged me...

*some time later*

Hmm, honestly not as good as I thought it would turn out, and probably would have been better if I'd used Paths or started in a higher resolution...

...still...

Sofox

Quote from: Jack McSlay on September 14, 2008, 09:17:43 PM

The headwings should have tipped you off.
You know, the ones circled in red...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jack McSlay on September 14, 2008, 09:17:43 PM
He's a 'Cubi, but owing to various circumstances which will unfold in due course, he chose to disguise himself as an Angel.  All the stuff about the concealment charm was a bluff, and the ring is purely decorative.  If Joshua had tried it on himself, things could have got awkward.  That said, Jakob could probably have talked around it, e.g. "It doesn't work because you don't have wings anyway/It doesn't work because your hand is mechanical".

To break the line down, Joshua is terrified of 'Cubi, mostly owing to the soul-stealing business.  Probably he heard too many bad stories as a kid or something.  What Jakob is saying is basically this: "Angels can also go around stealing souls.  Why aren't you afraid of them, too?"

Quote from: Sofox on September 14, 2008, 09:23:41 PM
I'm sorry Tape, you've just challenged me...
Hmm, honestly not as good as I thought it would turn out, and probably would have been better if I'd used Paths or started in a higher resolution...

Yes, working in higher-res would probably do it.  If you're interested, there is a full-res draft here:
http://www.project-future.org/pf30.PNG - owing to space constraints I can't guarantee it will remain there, but whatever.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Sofox on September 14, 2008, 06:04:15 PM
You know, you can add a font to GIMP just by copy-pasting the font file into the correct Gimp folder.

The font engine in Gimp and (whatever that other app was) are different.

So you may or may not get the same results...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Amber Williams

Dun worry. Having been working on a particular individuals commission, the main thing I have been having fan-art wise for ideas was a groupshot of them all playing poker....since 98% of everyone seems to be a canine it just seems to fit.

Though I figure Joshua would be at a tactical disadvantage in a room of Cubi. :U

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 16, 2008, 12:06:43 PM
Dun worry. Having been working on a particular individuals commission, the main thing I have been having fan-art wise for ideas was a groupshot of them all playing poker....since 98% of everyone seems to be a canine it just seems to fit.
Oh, Amber... that sounds awesome! I can't wait to see that in it's full glorious version!

Though I figure Joshua would be at a tactical disadvantage in a room of Cubi. :U
Maybe they all agree no though-reading the Normal... or maybe, inexplicably, Joshua is actually winning.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Jairus on September 16, 2008, 12:10:14 PM
Oh, Amber... that sounds awesome! I can't wait to see that in it's full glorious version!

Its not really a guarantee I am ever going to get to do it. Work comes first, and sadly fun stuff comes second. :<

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 16, 2008, 12:15:23 PM

Its not really a guarantee I am ever going to get to do it. Work comes first, and sadly fun stuff comes second. :<
If you don't do it, I will... >:]

Tapewolf

I concur with Jairus... that would be awesome.

...the others were reading or watching the news except for [Oskar], Dorcan and [Nilson],
who were playing cards with Kirian.  They generally did this for the amusement value as the
warp-aci didn't seem to be able to remember which particular game they were playing for
more than about three minutes at a stretch.

QuoteThough I figure Joshua would be at a tactical disadvantage in a room of Cubi. :U
Actually, they do have a mind-shield circuit in development - essentially an enchanted gem which can be turned on and off electronically.  That turns up around episode 7.

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 16, 2008, 12:15:23 PM

Oh, poor Amber. :hug How's the compy doing?

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on September 16, 2008, 12:16:14 PM
If you don't do it, I will... >:]
*said in a warning tone* Ren...

On another note... Ninja'ed twice! And I'm glad Tapewolf agrees.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 16, 2008, 12:16:41 PM
I concur with Jairus... that would be awesome.

...the others were reading or watching the news except for [Oskar], Dorcan and [Nilson],
who were playing cards with Kirian.  They generally did this for the amusement value as the
warp-aci didn't seem to be able to remember which particular game they were playing for
more than about three minutes at a stretch.

This is totally going to be over most peoples' heads, but how about Scrabble? >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

... O, X, Y, G, E, N ....

"Man, these letters don't spell anything!"
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 16, 2008, 12:16:41 PM
Actually, they do have a mind-shield circuit in development - essentially an enchanted gem which can be turned on and off electronically.  That turns up around episode 7.

I wasn't really thinking mind or thought so much as emotion.  Judging from what I have seen of Joshua so far, I get the feeling he would need some practice before being able to pull off a good bluff when he sees the cards he gets. :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 16, 2008, 10:42:42 PM
I wasn't really thinking mind or thought so much as emotion.  Judging from what I have seen of Joshua so far, I get the feeling he would need some practice before being able to pull off a good bluff when he sees the cards he gets. :U
Ah, yes.  Though to be fair, Joshua is coming over all bewildered - at least in part - because one of his roles in the comic is to explain the scenario.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 16, 2008, 07:58:23 PM
This is totally going to be over most peoples' heads, but how about Scrabble? >:3
Perhaps.  Depends if people have read the cast pages.  It is mentioned in Oskar's cast page (FWIW his real name is 'Ashley') that he cheats at scrabble.

Tapewolf

Rather than type it all out again, I'll just copy the rant from the site.  Basically, we're running late again and while I've managed to mix the entire album down and tidy most of the house for Sunday's 'royal visit', there's still plenty of things which need doing, so the comic might have to wait until Monday.  Or, I might cheat and run the B/W version as a stopgap measure  >:3

19/09/2008 - We'll be late again

Technically the comic was always supposed to have a Saturday update, Friday was just the de-facto one. Be that as it may, if we're not up by Saturday evening, it'll probably have to wait until Monday (owing to family commitments etc).

On the bright side, I have managed to tape both sides of my album. If anyone knows a good mastering engineer, that would be handy as Chris Shaeffer, who mastered all four previous albums seems to have met some horrible fate. I am actually kind of concerned now as he's not been at his usual BBS since July.

Also, as the intermission says, we're hoping to set up a buffer over the next couple of weeks when the special guest flashback kicks in. After that, we should have somewhat smoother updates. Until then, I guess we'll just have to be patient.

Jairus

No worries. We can wait... or at least I can. I can't speak for everyone else. Good luck with everything!

Gabi

Aww, a hug! ^_^

Don't worry about the late update, real life takes precedence.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

OK, Ren's now handed the lineart over.  I've almost finished the house so I might even be able to start colouring tonight.  Hence, we may have a finished page about this time tomorrow.  No promises.

Tapewolf

Page 31 is live.  First person to correctly identify the model of recorder gets a cookie.  Ren and probably Keaton already know, so they don't count...

Ren Gaulen

YES! >:D

..Those heads.. They stare.. Silently.. With those smiles.. WHY DO THEY STARE AT ME LIKE THAT?? 'A'

Zedd

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on September 21, 2008, 03:20:14 PM
..Those heads.. They stare.. Silently.. With those smiles.. WHY DO THEY STARE AT ME LIKE THAT?? 'A'

Those are..The faces of evil...

Also the recorder, If I know you well enough...

Tapewolf