Red Alert 3!!

Started by Cvstos, February 13, 2008, 10:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cvstos

Either someone is pulling off an incredibly well-executed hoax, or Red Alert 3 will be detailed in the next issue of PC Gamer, due to hit news stands tomorrow!!

Red Alert 1 stands as my favorite game of all time. After getting home from school in middle and high school I would go into the office where the family computer was, turn on the radio, and start making skirmish maps.

I didn't love RA2 quite as much but it's still on my short list as one of the best games ever.

Here's hoping EA does justice to the series.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/13/command-and-conquer-red-alert-3-unveiled/

Fortunately for me, I just got a brand new computer with a quad-core CPU, 3GB of RAM, and an nVIDIA GeForce 8800GT, so I should be able to run this thing great.  Unlike every C&C game I've ever had.  Every single time a new one came out I could just barely run it.  THIS time, things should be different.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Suwako

Quote from: Cvstos on February 13, 2008, 10:37:04 AM
Here's hoping EA does justice to the series.

Fortunately for me, ....<snip> , so I should be able to run this thing great.  Unlike every C&C game I've ever had.  Every single time a new one came out I could just barely run it.  THIS time, things should be different.

Well, I hope so as well. Red Alert 2 was actually the one I enjoyed more than red alert 1, yuri's revenge was quite cool too. I loved Russia's airships and mammoth tank.

As for you should be able to run it.. Well it's EA so maybe It'll take a few patches...
So hopeful praying.. I won't be able to play it anyway but still, I hope it does the series at least some form of -justice-

I'm looking forward to spore more though, that game has to be great.. 5 september.. got to get a new computer before 5 september..

Alteisentier

Normaly i'd have high hopes for such a game, but ever since EA got their hands on westwood and quickly disolved the original team.. Well.. Let's just hope it's not another generals. if they can atleast manage that I'll be somewhat happy.
*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

pyrohamster

CNC3 is an insane game ,generals was fun too. and ea games made both

Cvstos

C&C3 was very good, EA did a great job with that.  I was impressed and pleasantly surprised.

Also, I'm one of those who did like Generals.  But it got waaaaaaay better with the Zero Hour expansion + Shockwave mod.  Seriously, give that one a try and you'll be amazed at the depth it gives Zero Hour.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

pyrohamster

Suwako

I liked generals zero hour, gave the game a bit more balance.. Generals and Zero hour both weren't that  great storywise, I loved the vehicles though. I hated the fact that China didn't get anywhere fast. >.> Mig's and Helixes didn't speed up the general.. Send giant army of tanks/overlords to the enemies base and watch the mayhem.

Alteisentier

I've played all of that. Either i'm just a die hard Command and conquer fan or silly middle east type stories just bore me to death with how over done they are, because I could never manage to put my self through the sleep inducing campaign. I'd also love to go on and complain about the terrible resorce system and many other things that irked me about the game but I'll just shut up. Ahh well, atleast CnC3 made some attempts at returning to it's roots. And was quite fun untill the story was over.

lets just hope to see more crazy Axis and Allies time traveling and fighting dinosaurs in space.

*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

Suwako

Apparently the story goes like this:
Soviet leaders go back in time, end up in a different dimension where the allied forces are fighting JAPAN in the THIRD world war

which is their excuse the go with mainstream  sci-fi of late, also great lengthy background there...

An unannounced third party with a unique playing style will be included.

Three parties? and Allieds are fighting Japan? ... WOW, whatever! Oh, and Japan is referred to as "Empire of the Rising Sun" in the latest news.

Ability to make ships again, Heavily armed zeppelins and the famous Tesla coil  return.

Thank god.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://planetcnc.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=148014

Be aware, the tanks look like boats and ladybugs and the engine seems a rip off of the C&C3 engine.
I really hope they change the tanks they look like sheeet, and the buildings are without style.. the atmosphere I'm getting from these screen shots are all wrong, no RA2 or RA1 but BLEH.

flat huge mammoth tanks, plsthnxbye
Non over the top alien like units, be different from mainstream EA, You got PLENTY of cash and you are just annoying the hardcore fans.

pyrohamster

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg!

Alteisentier

I really have to say.. The screen shots don't look terribly impressive as of yet. It screams CnC3 with a new paint job. And quite a bad one at that. But it's early game I supose.. Maybe the other designs will be nicer.

But knowing EA, the Ladybug tanks are going to stay, they almost never change the look of a unit when they have it working in the games engine.

Janus Whitefurr

Embrace the future.

Your Tiberium future.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Toric

Am I the only one so far who thinks the Allied battleship tanks are actually pretty cool? And I'm pretty sure the original Red Alert story began when a few scientists with a time-machine went back in time to kill Hitler (either that or it was just a mundane teleporter), so the series is just running its old premise again: time-travelling to make your country win is always a bad idea.
Yap by Silver.

Cvstos

We don't know that those are Mammoths.  Remember in RA1 the Heavy Tank was double-barreled.

I think they're matching the more colorful look of the RA series quite well.  It's supposed to be brighter.  I just want to see the look of the gems and some freaking snow maps.

pyrohamster

Quote from: Aiyno on February 14, 2008, 03:01:08 PM
Apparently the story goes like this:
Soviet leaders go back in time, end up in a different dimension where the allied forces are fighting JAPAN in the THIRD world war

which is their excuse the go with mainstream  sci-fi of late, also great lengthy background there...

An unannounced third party with a unique playing style will be included.

Three parties? and Allieds are fighting Japan? ... WOW, whatever! Oh, and Japan is referred to as "Empire of the Rising Sun" in the latest news.

Ability to make ships again, Heavily armed zeppelins and the famous Tesla coil  return.

Thank god.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://planetcnc.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=148014

Be aware, the tanks look like boats and ladybugs and the engine seems a rip off of the C&C3 engine.
I really hope they change the tanks they look like sheeet, and the buildings are without style.. the atmosphere I'm getting from these screen shots are all wrong, no RA2 or RA1 but BLEH.

flat huge mammoth tanks, plsthnxbye
Non over the top alien like units, be different from mainstream EA, You got PLENTY of cash and you are just annoying the hardcore fans.

but its not RA1 or RA2 its a totaly diferent game. there fore the building and vehicle will look diferent.
i like the tanks as they are.

gh0st

i never played the first one but i did play the second one, i will admit that it was one of the better one that westwood helped make (i'm looking at you renegade). seriously though this ones on my list of games to play when i get a better computer

Alteisentier

Being a new game does not excuse it from shoddy looking art direction and a few cheap stolen units. We will see how it turns out in the end though.

Cvstos

C&C Community Manager APOC:

QuoteHey guys,

Thanks for the good feedback thus far...just so you know, the screens from Ingromania don't do our graphics justice as those are low-res. In the coming weeks you'll see many more shots, we took about 20 to be released in our first month of announcements and magazine stories. I've been working hard on taking screenshots for this game for the past month. The game has already gone through many upgrades since these screenshots, visual upgrades, etc, so if anything looks low poly or not finished, thats because its not ) You're looking at RA3 1.0...as is normal with development time, in a few months, you'll see some dramatic differences.

We do have snow =) You just haven't seen it yet! But we got it!

Best screens to look at are the high-res ones.

And make sure to check out the PC Gamer story, they have the best of everything right now.

Its a new day Comrades...

Best,
APOC

Turnsky

Quote from: Alteisentier on February 18, 2008, 03:18:11 AM
Being a new game does not excuse it from shoddy looking art direction and a few cheap stolen units. We will see how it turns out in the end though.

these are prolly pre-alpha to pre-beta units, i expect a fair few things to change by the time it goes out of beta.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Alteisentier

Possible, i'm just going on what i've seen EA do before. I'll try to keep an open mind however.

pyrohamster

i dont get why why you all are so depressed about it. It will change, not all their games are failers. i liked generals, and their mods

Suwako

Quote from: pyrohamster on February 25, 2008, 05:24:08 PM
i dont get why why you all are so depressed about it. It will change, not all their games are failers. i liked generals, and their mods

People in general don't agree on the looks, as there are only screens of betá build we go on them and conclude that it doesn't have a -Red Alert- feel to it like RA2 and RA1 had, most likely because the units are -very- different. Even those of the Soviets, who went back in time.. The game honestly feels like another Scfi-fi intergalactic RTS, even while never actually leaving earth. Whereas Red Alert always had units that could compare to modern day tanks and such, EA is following the popular flow of late and using -very- Sci-fi units, This scares people and they fear that what's to come isn't a change for the better as well. EA doesn't only produce crap, but they are very good at producing crap.

Not all people may agree with me, but looking at a number of gaming sites most old-school RA players feel the same, as well as some who only played RA2 for a short while.

pyrohamster

i see... ea game does produse some really bad crap sometimes

Cvstos

Quote... and the engine seems a rip off of the C&C3 engine.

It is the same engine.  It is, after all, being made by the same company, so it can't really be a "rip-off".  They've been using the SAGE engine since Renegade, although it's probably been largely re-written a couple times by now.

pyrohamster

i wonder if the apoc. tanks get more gas milage from being aerodynamic?