Only the Good Die Young

Started by Rakala, January 30, 2008, 06:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakala

Apparently, there is now a movement against Billy Joel about his song Only the Good Die Young, a good deal of time after it was made and released. It seems ridiculous that people won't let this lay down and die. I mean it was written, what, 30 years ago? C'mon people! It's just a song anyways! For those who havne't heard it before..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxHKfPvLx6o

Alondro

Well, it's just not true.

Mother Theresa lived to be quite old indeed.

And Anna Nichole Smith is dead.

See?  The song is just nonsense, like most songs.   ;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Cogidubnus

As Lewis Black said. "The good die young, but pricks live forever.;)

Alondro

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 30, 2008, 03:17:14 PM
As Lewis Black said. "The good die young, but pricks live forever.;)

I shall be eternal!   :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Rakala

Uh.... the question does anybody know that the song is about deflowering a catholic girl? That's what the controversy is about.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... And why is this a problem?

You know, like, more of a problem than it was 20 years ago when the song was published?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

rabid_fox

Given some of the songs out there and their content? Lordy.

That said, a friend of mine sent me a song today that he'd written and it had a line in it that I thought was brilliant:

"Line up the plans you're planning not to follow though
Start up the disappointment clock".

Brilliant.

Ah, songs. They're fun.

I think this thread should now be about song lyrics that would be more likely to be banned than anything Billy Joel's ever written. I'm going to throw out the lovely lyric from "Yes" by the Manic Street Preachers:

"He's a boy - you wanted a girl so try to rip off his c**k.
Tie his hair in bunches, f**k him, call him Rita if you want."

Go for it.

Oh dear.

superluser

I remember a bit from Morning Edition where they were discussing how college freshmen were different from the people who came before them (for one thing, they don't remember the Berlin Wall, which is kind of shocking, when you think about it).

Anyways, they asked him if there was a song that they could use as a bumper to his interview, to which he suggested ``New York State of Mind.''

Both the interviewer and I were sort of taken aback, but it turns out that there's another song called New York State of Mind.

:oldman

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

There's more than one version?

Well, you know, other than the Dr Teeth and the Electric Mayhem remake of Billy Joel's creation...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

RobbieThe1st

For some reason, I was reminded of This song while reading the topic.

I dunno... It just seems appropriate.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Rakala

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 30, 2008, 04:56:15 PM
... And why is this a problem?

You know, like, more of a problem than it was 20 years ago when the song was published?
That's my point. It shouldn't be a big deal anymore.

xHaZxMaTx

It shouldn't be a big deal, anyway. :/