Question concerning the Creature Council

Started by Kayriel, February 06, 2008, 09:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayriel

I imagine there's at least a few left somewhere. Otherwise I don't see the point of Weres having a human form, they wouldn't have come to HAVE a human form unless it was necessary somehow, right? Even if not, I want to see more into this Biggs on the Creature Council sometime.
<3 Abel

WhiteFox

From what I can tell, Wildy seems to react to Humans the way we regard furries. At least, that's what I surmise from her and dan's conversation.

Besides, there may be fictional humans Jyrras based the patch off of.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Tapewolf

Quote from: WhiteFox on February 08, 2008, 05:09:33 AM

IIRC, Amber once said that you need the DNA of the target race to make it work.  Of course, it's likely Mab procured it for him somehow.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

kaskar

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 08, 2008, 05:24:11 AM

IIRC, Amber once said that you need the DNA of the target race to make it work.  Of course, it's likely Mab procured it for him somehow.

8) Of course, there is also the slight fact that human is listed in Demo.101 Has to be a few out there ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...

e_voyager

I believe they are thoughtt extinct due to some kind of illness.But it could be that stupidly ran ramped among them and they did things country to long living. like taking flash photography of drakes and annoying cubi.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: kaskar on February 08, 2008, 06:11:54 AM

8) Of course, there is also the slight fact that human is listed in Demo.101 Has to be a few out there ...

Merlitz met a human once, but that human turned out to be a traveller from another world. I guess there are no native humans on Furrae, but some of those travellers may stay on the planet (plane, world, whatever) for a while or even create some sort of a settlement there.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Rose?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kayriel

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 08, 2008, 07:46:26 AM

Rose?

That's what I don't get. She's a Fae, but is she also actually a human? Does being a Fae override all other racial aspects? Is it a Template, as we might see in D&D?

For that matter, we'll notice a number of Cubi Mythos, I think I saw a Cubi dragon, we've seen Cubi felines/canines, etc. Are they all still their base race, or are they Cubi, and just choose to keep their original form? How deep does the transformation go?
<3 Abel

llearch n'n'daCorna

There have been no Cubi dragons.

There was a big, water-based Mythos in SAIA, if that's the one you're thinking of, though.

Kayriel

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 08, 2008, 09:28:40 AM
There have been no Cubi dragons.

There was a big, water-based Mythos in SAIA, if that's the one you're thinking of, though.

That'd be the one. Though, if other Creatures can become Cubi, why not Dragons? Do Dragons and Cubi have a natural rivalry, or is it just the Cyra clan?
<3 Abel

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Kayriel on February 08, 2008, 09:37:48 AM
Though, if other Creatures can become Cubi, why not Dragons?
Huh? What are you talking about?

Kayriel

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on February 08, 2008, 09:39:06 AM

Well, look at the variety of races of Cubi that are at SAIA, of course there's the basic furres, then there's mythos, etc. If Mythos can be Cubi, why not Dragons?
<3 Abel

e_voyager

If we're talking half breeds but i get the feeling that being a cubi is more then just dominant recessive genes its not quite a culture thing either. it's family. you are or you aren't. you. cubi is as much if not more magical heritages it is physical heritage but entities like fae and dragons would over power the cubi magical heritage and push it into the background if not destroy it entirely.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

'Cubification, I believe.

Though my understanding is that Dragons are colossally powerful.  So 'Cubification would be a big step backwards, like turning from an incubus into a pet dog.

**EDIT**

Oh, he meant a Dragon-'Cubi hybrid?  Pass.

Kayriel

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 08, 2008, 09:46:29 AM

'Cubification, I believe.

Though my understanding is that Dragons are colossally powerful.  So 'Cubification would be a big step backwards, like turning from an incubus into a pet dog.

**EDIT**

Oh, he meant a Dragon-'Cubi hybrid?  Pass.

Either or, really.
<3 Abel

llearch n'n'daCorna

Either way, Amber has stated (forcefully, at times, when it seems like nothing else will get through) that there is no such thing as a half-breed 'Cubi - either they are, or they aren't.

As for the variety - partly that's just standard "anything animal can be anthropomorphised", and partly that's that the 'Cubi we've seen have been largely cameos, and hence don't necessarily fit the "standard" plan.

For my take on it, I don't think there are Mythos 'Cubi. I think there are many 'Cubi based on lizards and the like, and that, since Amber doesn't draw individual scales in every frame (due partly to it'd drive her insane, I think, and partly because the scale doesn't let them fit - ie, they'd look rubbish) the difference between Mythos and saurian 'Cubi is slim. Or piscine-based forms, as well - all three look more or less the same, at the scale we have. Also, we've seen a lot of random bypassers at SAIA - and we know that there's a large Mythos there. Nothing says everyone you've seen that you think is 'Cubi actually is. For all we know, half of them are Mythos staff, and are wearing 'Cubi-seeming disguises for a fad or a dress-up party...

More things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio.

e_voyager

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 08, 2008, 10:24:36 AM
For my take on it, I don't think there are Mythos 'Cubi. I think there are many 'Cubi based on lizards and the like, and that, since Amber doesn't draw individual scales in every frame (due partly to it'd drive her insane, I think, and partly because the scale doesn't let them fit - ie, they'd look rubbish) the difference between Mythos and saurian 'Cubi is slim.

Okay, here's a counterexample which I don't believe you covered.  The stereotype Mythos form seems to be a 'taur, e.g. Matilda, and even the example Mythos in Demonology.  If it's impossible to have a Mythos 'Cubi, what about the 'taur in 565?

It seems a bit extreme for a shapeshifting job - how many years would it take to learn to walk as a quadruped?  Arguably more than a 'Cubi attention-span would want to spend for the sake of fashion.  The disguised-as-a-'Cubi argument is a little unlikely in this case because they're depicted as recoiling from Merl's NASCAR mind.

e_voyager

odd i must have misread his post then. i thought that he was saying that being cubi over rode there genetic heritage to a certain extend. like if you are a vampire you are a vampire with all the strengths and weaknesses of a vampire regardless of race.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Taurs fit under the "we don't have enough information yet" area, sadly. :-/

The only taur in standard play, as it were, is Matilda - and we've seen little enough of her to know anything, really, other than that she lives a long time and is a Mythos. Oh, and breathes fire.

We've seen no information about taur 'Cubi, either for or against, that I can recall, other than the odd background image in the strip itself - like the one you mention. I don't see anything in Demo 101 to actually enlighten us as to the situation, which means either Amber hasn't thought about it yet, or she has, and is deliberately hiding the info. Either way, we don't have enough information to definitively state either way.

Having said that, I think that yes, there probably -are- taur 'Cubi. I just have no guesses as to how, or what history they have.

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 08, 2008, 03:25:40 PM
We've seen no information about taur 'Cubi, either for or against, that I can recall, other than the odd background image in the strip itself - like the one you mention. I don't see anything in Demo 101 to actually enlighten us as to the situation, which means either Amber hasn't thought about it yet, or she has, and is deliberately hiding the info. Either way, we don't have enough information to definitively state either way.

Indeed.  The closest we have is that 'multiple limbs' is a Mythos trait, as per demonology.  It's not necessarily the only way to get a 'taur, but a Mythos-Cubi pairing seems to me the most likely way to get a 'taur 'cubi from what info we do have.

e_voyager

Matilda is referred to as a mythos she even says so herself and Dan called her a blue volcano mythos

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 08, 2008, 03:34:31 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 08, 2008, 03:25:40 PM

Indeed.  The closest we have is that 'multiple limbs' is a Mythos trait, as per demonology.  It's not necessarily the only way to get a 'taur, but a Mythos-Cubi pairing seems to me the most likely way to get a 'taur 'cubi from what info we do have.

I would say "seems to be" rather than "is", but yes.

And yes, a Mythos-'Cubi pairing would seem then to be the way to get a taur 'Cubi. However, that's assuming that Mythos are indeed the only taurs around, and that Mythos-'Cubi works out like that. Either of which is a crap shoot...

Tezkat

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 08, 2008, 04:03:51 PM
And yes, a Mythos-'Cubi pairing would seem then to be the way to get a taur 'Cubi. However, that's assuming that Mythos are indeed the only taurs around, and that Mythos-'Cubi works out like that. Either of which is a crap shoot...

Amber suggested that that is indeed where they come from...

Quote from: Amber Panyko
Certain creature races are more compatable with other creature races.

[...]

Mythos vary from species to species. I will say there are a few taur-cubi.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...