I was wondering...

Started by Silver Pomeranian Genji, January 15, 2008, 05:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Pomeranian Genji

...can two or more 'cubi feed off the same emotion, or do they have different emotional preferences? The reason I ask is that I'm writing a fanfiction about one of my Garfield-based OCs, and I need advice.
Mah Boi, this peace is what all true lawyers strive for. Anybody know Moira Gianna's number?

Tapewolf

From what I gather, members of the same clan will share a common affinity for emotions, e.g. Cyra Clan like Pain, but there also seem to be other affinities specific to an individual, in Dan's case, justice.

Note that a given 'Cubi is not restricted to their primary emotion(s), these are just the ones they get the most out of.  While it's possible (not confirmed) that 'Cubi might have an emotion which strongly disagrees with them like some kind of allergy, for the most part they seem to be able to work with anything.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Poofyspikes

Quote from: Silver Pomeranian Genji on January 15, 2008, 05:01:29 PM
Garfield-based OCs
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, WHAT?!

And to answer your question... yes, every single cubi has their own specific emotion. In fact, they've had to get so specific, what with all the cubi about, that Abel has to feed off of confusion caused by people wondering if they should vote for Obama or McCain. :rolleyes

Kayriel

Quote from: Silver Pomeranian Genji on January 15, 2008, 05:01:29 PM
...can two or more 'cubi feed off the same emotion, or do they have different emotional preferences? The reason I ask is that I'm writing a fanfiction about one of my Garfield-based OCs, and I need advice.

I believe so. If you'll look at the issue where Abel is showing Dan his magically-created swords, the last panel indicates that both Fa'Lina and Dr. Ink seem to feed off of joy. If anyone knows if this is because they are... stronger than average Cubi, and have access to all the emotional ranges, or because they both particularly feed off of Joy in addition to others natural to them/their clan, that would be useful information.
<3 Abel

Pagan

How Cubi feed on emotions hasn't been completly stated (so far as I know), but I'd guess it translates into something like having a favorite food.

An example!

I have a choice of foods. Toast, Chicken Sandwich, and Pizza. I enjoy Pizza the most. Therefore, I choose to eat Pizza.

Only with 'Cubi, it's more like fear, happiness, or arousal. And that the 'Cubi's favorite would actually be more healthy and filling.

You can eat foods that aren't your favorite, you can even like those foods and they might fill you up a bit, but it just isn't the same as having your prefered dish.

This is just my idea, not cannon or anything.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Rafe

Quote from: Kayriel on January 15, 2008, 11:32:51 PM
..If you'll look at the issue where Abel is showing Dan his magically-created swords, the last panel indicates that both Fa'Lina and Dr. Ink seem to feed off of joy. If anyone knows if this is because they are... stronger than average Cubi, and have access to all the emotional ranges, or because they both particularly feed off of Joy in addition to others natural to them/their clan, that would be useful information.

Actually, Ink can apparently "taste" joy, but he doesn't like it.  He described tasting joy in is tea as "horrid".
Rafe

Eibborn

Quote from: Pagan on January 15, 2008, 11:53:36 PM
How Cubi feed on emotions hasn't been completly stated (so far as I know), but I'd guess it translates into something like having a favorite food.

An example!

I have a choice of foods. Toast, Chicken Sandwich, and Pizza. I enjoy Pizza the most. Therefore, I choose to eat Pizza.

Only with 'Cubi, it's more like fear, happiness, or arousal. And that the 'Cubi's favorite would actually be more healthy and filling.

You can eat foods that aren't your favorite, you can even like those foods and they might fill you up a bit, but it just isn't the same as having your prefered dish.

This is just my idea, not cannon or anything.

If I recall correctly, that's nearly exactly what Amber's said. I believe.

God, "If I recall correctly" is practically my new catchphrase. 8|
Anyway, someone who knows something about the DMFA Wiki would probably be able to direct you there, just in case it's referenced.
/kicks the internet over

Kayriel

Can we get someone in here with a link to that, then?
<3 Abel

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Oh, he wanted a link to the Wiki?  I thought he was after an archival post by Amber or something...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kayriel

Very enlightening, thank you for the information. I've only had observation and personal theorem to go off of prior.
<3 Abel

AmigaDragon

Hijacking the thread...
Do you notice the same thing in common about these two strips that I do #599 and #789?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Kayriel

Warp-Aci and Fae? Eh, coincedence. On an unrelated note, I found that to be pretty hot. D= Go Queen Nutmeg.
<3 Abel

WhiteFox

I'm still figuring out how those dresses stays up. I mean, I can understand Nutmegs, with the arm staps, but the neck on Fa'lina's should only hold up half...

Hey, yeah, the Warp-Aci is named Nutmeg too. Weird.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Kayriel

Well, it's obvious how Fa'Lina's stays up. She's wearing a fur-tight outfit that pinches in around her ample bust, and at her hips. As to why she doesn't shimmy out of it with motion... well... everyone so far as I can recall, with a "disagreeable" outfit that should be on the floor within seconds of putting it on, is also well-versed in magic. As Abel said, Cubi have long been able to defy gravity.
<3 Abel

Faerie Alex

(I have a feeling there was a discussion on this some time ago, but I'm not sure.)

I would guess that Fa'Lina's dress has some sort of internal structure (wires/general rigidity) that allows it to stay up with only one attachment point. As for Nutmeg, it's worth noting that she appears to have no shoulder straps (the arm bands are disconnected, see #789, panel 2). So yeah, maybe magic for that. Or something.
Jeez I need to update this thing.