01/19/07 [Abel 2 #2 & 3] - "It's my Fault..." / "I Created This Academy."

Started by Sunblink, January 19, 2008, 05:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pagan

Ya know, lookin back through all three pages, while it does kind make sense that she's saying all of it (it's a lot more coherent than what Abel could probably manage), the dailouge is a bit dramatic.
It sounds like she was involved with the ones who died (and abused). Why should Fa'Lina, a semi-omnipotent cubi, care about the treatment of a couple of beings and a mythos.

My only guess is that she wanted Abel to be in a more stable mental state when he was delivered to the academy. But why would she care about that? Does she care about all of her students as much? Or is Abel special to her?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Wanderer

Quote from: Caswin on January 19, 2008, 11:40:46 PM
Quote from: Wanderer on January 19, 2008, 05:51:23 PMWhoever Fa'Lina chooses to blame, she cannot let things remain as they are.
Why not?

Well, okay, maybe if SAIA caught fire, somebody could trip on Abel as they were running away.  I guess that counts as a reason, gotta get him moving about...
School full of telempaths. Abel is unleashing a stream of emotions and images powerful enough that FA'LINA is drowning in it. What do you think that's doing to the poor students? That sort of thing is extremely dangerous, and it must be dealt with, one way or another.

Psaakyrn

Just going on a tangent here, but the monologue could also have been heard directly by Abel. I'd think the monologue could also have been intentionally done to have said effect.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

meany

All I can say is: Good God Almighty! The sheer awesomeness of these new comics have caused them to transcend the mortal plane! The awesomeness is self perpetuating!  D:

Okay, that burst of fanboyishness is over. Good work Amber! :goamber

Slacker Spice

...And yet I'm left here wondering "Where is Kria in all this?" Though her part in the plot might be over now.

Personally I think "Break" means Abel breaking from his past, burying what he was in what he will become.

"Oh, listen to Mary Poppins. He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You English men are always so... bloody hell! [counting them on his fingers.] Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks. Oh god... I'm English."
"Welcome to the nancy tribe."
Spike and Giles; "Tabula Rasa"; Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Aw, great, you blew up the 'wah-wah' machine!"
"PORCUPINES ARE GOD!" - Nostalgia

Meech

Deleted because it was irrelevant to the topic.

Caswin

Quote from: Wanderer on January 19, 2008, 11:57:19 PM
Quote from: Caswin on January 19, 2008, 11:40:46 PM
Quote from: Wanderer on January 19, 2008, 05:51:23 PMWhoever Fa'Lina chooses to blame, she cannot let things remain as they are.
Why not?

Well, okay, maybe if SAIA caught fire, somebody could trip on Abel as they were running away.  I guess that counts as a reason, gotta get him moving about...
School full of telempaths. Abel is unleashing a stream of emotions and images powerful enough that FA'LINA is drowning in it. What do you think that's doing to the poor students? That sort of thing is extremely dangerous, and it must be dealt with, one way or another.
...ah, good point.  I hadn't thought of that.  (Although I'd imagine Fa'lina is kind of dwelling on it at the moment - which is to say, his emotions aren't really overpowering her - but still, that makes sense.)
Quote from: Meech on January 20, 2008, 12:16:40 AM
Quote from: Tezkat on January 19, 2008, 11:49:05 PM
Quote from: Meech on January 19, 2008, 11:30:21 PM
Amber has stated previously that Fa'Lina is a tri wing.  She keeps her third set hidden I believe.

Amber has not publicly stated that Fa'Lina is a Tri-Wing. :mowninja
I very specifically remember this being discussed at length.  I searched the forum and can't find the info.  I fear it may have been on the old forum.  It's been a very long while.  Maybe some of the older forumites may remember the discussion.  Does anyone else recall this?
I believe I do, yes.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 19, 2008, 06:07:38 PM
Also, I'm wondering why her claws are sharp like that, unless, having seen Abel's mind, she's now going to beat up Aniz for what he's done...

My money is on that as well. Mostly because of her lines, "Perhaps I can fix this." However, we don't know how she's planning on "fixing" the situation, yet. If she's planning on punishing/opening a can of whoopass on Aniz, I'd be fully in support of that no matter how awesome of a villain I think Aniz is. :B

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Goatmon

Chaos

Come, Now. Anyone who gains a certain level of political power on a racial scale is going to become a little complex. Even sticking to typical Judeo-Christain like Morals, when secrets start enetering the mix, or you gain knowledge that you realise would worry others needlessly, all the sudden you have reason to do the typically "Evil" Things. Lie, Cheat, Manipulate, allow acts that hurt others. All of these things can be justified, however when you are in a position where you cannot defend yourself, due to keeping people out of situations they have no place in being, you learn to not care if others think you the bad guy.

Long story short, I don't think Fa'lina is a bad guy, just a good person put in hard places.

Sno Wolf

Zedd

Chaos

Why do I get the image of Dr. Evil in my head? "Are they... Evil piranas?"

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Omega

unless she's now going to beat up Aniz for what he's done...
Really? What has Aniz actually done anyway? deceived? killed? tormented? Sounds pretty "evil" to me. Oh wait. CUBI ARE EVIL! it's what they do.
What is Fa'Lina gonna punish Aniz for? Bringing her a new student?
I'm quite certain that there are clear motives to all his actions.

Dard

True, many, perhaps even most Cubi, are evil and twisted, but that doesn't necessarily make right what Anitz has done.
This is the academy.
This is the place where proud cubi children are brought by proud cubi parents, to be trained, to meet others of their kind.
What did Anitz do?
He simply dumped Abel there as a mental wreck! Fa'Lina clearly cares for her pupils. Because of that, what Anitz did was unexcusable! I don't think it matters so much that he killed a creature. I think what makes her as mad as she is is what Anitz did to Abel. She probably couldn't care less if some cubi abuses some being, but this was Abel's mother! Why did he drop the deception just at the moment when Abel needed him most?

Remains the question why Fa'Lina feels this is her fault. I guess there is some past history between her and Anitz that could explain it. Or she feels that she thinks she made a wrong impression on Anitz on why the school is there to begin with...

No matter what, Anitz is going to be so in a whole world of pain very soon!

Chaos

Quote from: Omega on January 20, 2008, 04:08:05 AM
unless she's now going to beat up Aniz for what he's done...
Really? What has Aniz actually done anyway? deceived? killed? tormented? Sounds pretty "evil" to me. Oh wait. CUBI ARE EVIL! it's what they do.
I'm quite certain that there are clear motives to all his actions.

So you are of the mindset that all cubi are evil? Well...

Omega

Quote from: Dard on January 20, 2008, 04:29:50 AM
True, many, perhaps even most Cubi, are evil and twisted, but that doesn't necessarily make right what Anitz has done.
This is the academy.
This is the place where proud cubi children are brought by proud cubi parents, to be trained, to meet others of their kind.
and yet I long to see a cubi child walk into the academy by his/her free will.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible, just that so far the two persons accepted into that place have been Dan Abel, and neither have exactly been hear screaming for joy.

What did Anitz do?
He simply dumped Abel there as a mental wreck! Fa'Lina clearly cares for her pupils. Because of that, what Anitz did was inexcusable! I don't think it matters so much that he killed a creature. I think what makes her as mad as she is is what Anitz did to Abel. She probably couldn't care less if some cubi abuses some being, but this was Abel's mother! Why did he drop the deception just at the moment when Abel needed him most?
For all we know, this might be the normal way for cubies to take their offspring into school. Just because you don't accept what Aniz did, doesn't necessary make it wrong either. Oh sure, it's easy to blame him, but do try to see deeper than that.

Remains the question why Fa'Lina feels this is her fault. I guess there is some past history between her and Anitz that could explain it. Or she feels that she thinks she made a wrong impression on Anitz on why the school is there to begin with...
I'd say it's her fault, because this is the standard prosecure when brining your child into study. This is the way of Cubi.
No matter what, Anitz is going to be so in a whole world of pain very soon!
We'll see...

Quote from: Chaos on January 20, 2008, 05:02:46 AM
I know very few cubies in this comic, but the picture that I've been given from them isn't too sweet and jolly. It's dreadfull and bloody

Tapewolf

In 92(94) he's saying that Fa'Lina is probably not going to be too happy with the way he's handling things.  Then he cuts Abel up.  She might not like that.  But arguably if Fa'Lina is going to beat up Aniz for anything, it's because he killed Hennya right in front of Abel's eyes and drove him insane.  It's still up in the air whether Abel is actually capable of speech at this moment.

QuoteWhat is Fa'Lina gonna punish Aniz for? Bringing her a new student?
He hasn't brought her a new student, he's brought her a new mental case.  Dumped a mess he's created in her lap and run off so she has to clean it up for him.

**EDIT**

Quote from: Omega on January 20, 2008, 07:14:09 AM
and yet I long to see a cubi child walk into the academy by his/her free will.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible, just that so far the two persons accepted into that place have been Dan Abel, and neither have exactly been hear screaming for joy.

And both of them were Being-born.  I don't know what happened with Destania.  We know that she wasn't overjoyed either, although we don't really know why.  However, I seem to remember that Aary took to it like a duck to water.

QuoteI know very few cubies in this comic, but the picture that I've been given from them isn't too sweet and jolly. It's dreadfull and bloody
Again, part of this is the difference between a full-Blood 'Cubi and a Being-born 'Cubi.  Granted, Edward may quite possibly be a 'Cubi, but Dan was brought up in the belief that he was a Being, and so was Abel.  I feel it is likely that someone brought up as a Being and with Being morals is going to make a rather less bloodthirsty 'Cubi.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

PurpleCheeseLlama

The second page of this update actually scared me a little. Fa'lina's eyes, her claws, Abel's point of view making her seem huge...pretty damn frightening.

Completely fantastic as well, of course :-3

Paladin Sheppard

Dard

I'd say it's her fault, because this is the standard prosecure when brining your child into study. This is the way of Cubi.
What did Fa'Lina  say?
"Perhaps there is hope, perhaps it is not too late, perhaps I can fix this. After all, it is my fault"
Does this sound like someone who does this on a daily basis and doesn't regret it?

Aleolus

Wow, was that Fa'Lina's thoughts intersperced with Abel's, right there?  That would be so cool, if she can force her way into your mind like that!  Think of all the possibilities *sick and evil grin*

Kayriel

Quote from: Dard on January 20, 2008, 11:14:46 AM
What did Fa'Lina  say?
"Perhaps there is hope, perhaps it is not too late, perhaps I can fix this. After all, it is my fault"
Does this sound like someone who does this on a daily basis and doesn't regret it?

I'm going to agree with Dard on his speculations. Evidence as is points towards Fa'Lina being decidedly non-malicious, at least in the case of Abel, since they're on that "comfortably unfriendly" level of friendly terms by the time we see them in the current strip. Everything you offered so far seems to lean specifically towards the hope that this is all a malignant trap, and that Aniz was acting not only within boundaries, but as per orders, which there is as of yet, no evidence to suggest.
<3 Abel

Naldru

Judging by the comments of Abel and Fa'Lina in this conversation, both Abel and Fa'Lina have a lot of things that they regret in life.  Abel has had a number of losses but Fa'Lina saw her entire clan wiped out.

Although Fa'Lina has a number of things that she wishes she make "didn't happen", we're not quite sure what her methods might include.

1.  Memory erasure - Erase the bad memories from Abel.  Perhaps go to May and do some memory rewriting on her as well.

2.  Bring back the dead (Cindy, Devin, Xander, and Hennya) as undead.

3.  Bring them back as souls in a bottle.

By the way, as far as having to attend SAIA, apparently Destania needed  little encouragement as well.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

KarlOmega1

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 20, 2008, 08:31:23 AM
He hasn't brought her a new student, he's brought her a new mental case.  Dumped a mess he's created in her lap and run off so she has to clean it up for him.

Yeah, I'd be angry too if somebody dumped their child on me when the child was in an unstable condition...

anyway...Woohoo! Fa'lina is in da house!
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Chaos

Quote from: Chaos on January 20, 2008, 05:02:46 AM
I know very few cubies in this comic, but the picture that I've been given from them isn't too sweet and jolly. It's dreadfull and bloody

Unfortunately there is no denying that. Remember, Able made mention that while there are a few good ones out there, that feed off of joy and sumsuch, the majority of the are pure putzes. Why? You take a guess, I might be a master of Unfounded Speculation (TM*) but I can't have all the fun.

TM belongs to Wandering_Idiot, the true founder of the royal court of Unfounded Speculation

Omega

Quote from: Kayriel on January 20, 2008, 12:09:08 PM
Everything you offered so far seems to lean specifically towards the hope that this is all a malignant trap, and that Aniz was acting not only within boundaries, but as per orders, which there is as of yet, no evidence to suggest.
That's putting more words into my mouth than I can even begin to agree.
I am not saying that what Aniz did was right.
I am not saying that Fa'lina is happy for what Aniz did.
I am saying that some of you are jumping into conclusions a bit too soon.
I am saying that some of you are too quick to judge what Aniz did.
I can, of course, be wrong.
I personally want to leave the story telling to Amber and don't want to speculate the plot too far, because it tends to go wrong the further you go.
I do try not to make assumptions; only offer new possibilities that many of you don't seem to consider. That's just the what I do. Never go with the first option. Always doubt the ones who have found the truth. Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.
If you want to believe that Aniz is the bad guy of the year, fine. I, on the other hand, need some further proof.

P.S. Have you noticed that Aniz is an anagram of nazi?

Chaos

Then again, that's half the fun, the speculation. I also think that Amber get some of her jollies by dashing us poor fan's hopes and dreams. Either that or she loves drawing herself in a grass skirt.

PLOT TWIST!!!!

:boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie :boogie

Zina

Quote from: Omega on January 20, 2008, 03:16:53 PM
Quote from: Kayriel on January 20, 2008, 12:09:08 PM
Everything you offered so far seems to lean specifically towards the hope that this is all a malignant trap, and that Aniz was acting not only within boundaries, but as per orders, which there is as of yet, no evidence to suggest.
That's putting more words into my mouth than I can even begin to agree.
I am not saying that what Aniz did was right.
I am not saying that Fa'lina is happy for what Aniz did.
I am saying that some of you are jumping into conclusions a bit too soon.
I am saying that some of you are too quick to judge what Aniz did.
I can, of course, be wrong.
I personally want to leave the story telling to Amber and don't want to speculate the plot too far, because it tends to go wrong the further you go.
I do try not to make assumptions; only offer new possibilities that many of you don't seem to consider. That's just the what I do. Never go with the first option. Always doubt the ones who have found the truth. Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.
If you want to believe that Aniz is the bad guy of the year, fine. I, on the other hand, need some further proof.

P.S. Have you noticed that Aniz is an anagram of nazi?

I just want to point out that you're doing the exact same thing you're telling others not to do. Jumping to conclusions, being quick to judge, etc. Who's to say this is the standard way to bring cubi into SAIA? You don't know that for sure.