[Arts] May cause sever eye trauma... not really... (now with moar arts![6])

Started by demongirl12000, January 22, 2008, 07:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demongirl12000

Ok. So, I figure I'd stop lurking and actually post something.

Seeing as most art communities don't really give me the criticism that I would like, I'll hand it over to you guys.

This is a piece from the week after I saw Sweeney Todd. It is made from watercolor, ink and some pencil.

So what do you peoples think of it?

------

MOAR ART:
Female Portrait

Cartoony Zombie

Pheonix Concept (Falcon)

Marco & Pollo

The Joker

Faerie Alex

I like the shading. Very smooth. Almost makes him look kinda skeletal, but in a good way. Nice background too, especially with the way it seems to be blowing to the right of the frame. The one thing is, his left side looks too much smaller than his right. I mean, I understand some perspective, but that almost looks like too much.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

WhiteFox

I like it. Very Tim Burton. I love the hair, I love the hands. The proportions on the face are pretty good too.

If you're looking for criticism/comments:

I'm not used to seeing collars on suits looking like that. If it's a particular style/cut/whatever, I can understand, but it looked a little out of place. Also, I'd overlap the two halves a little more, unless it's zippered shut.

Some notes on anatomy... he looks a bit short. There's usually a head-height from chin to sternum (Good.),  Another between the sternum and the navel (Good) and another head height between the navel and the crotch (I think you're a bit short there). The elbows should reach the navel, and they look to be a few inches from his inseam

Lastly, the left side does look a little off balance. A torso, from the outside of one arm to the other, is about three head widths (different from head heights). He looks about four. If he's supposed to be broad shouldered, I'd say it's fine.

Only thing I have to say about the pose is that he seems to be kind of thrusting his hips forward/sideways. I don't know if that's on purpose or not, but it actually kind of works for him.

Lastly, there is no sense of overlap of the arm over the torso, and even at this slight angle there would be. Also, there should be some overlap between the torso and the right (his left) arm. For the left (his right) arm I'd bring the arm in, and for the right (his left) I'd move the chest out a bit. If you want, I can do an illustration to show what I mean.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

demongirl12000

@ WhiteFox:

His jacket/shirt is a hard thing to replicate, and there aren't very many good reference photos for it.

I'm not usually used to doing full body pieces, usually only busts or portraits.

Your last paragraph was a bit confusing, and I would like the illustration to help just a little bit, please.

Portrait Example:

WhiteFox

Wow... That is beautiful. Nice lips. And nose. Both of those are hard to capture, I find.

Anyway... I should note that I'm more knowledgeable then skilled. I'll post a quick illustration though.

[EDIT] And the second I finish saying this, my computer explodes. One quick re-install, and I have no Photoshop. Grr.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

demongirl12000

Eep!

That sucks. Hard.

I cannot live without Photoshop.

I hope you can get it back soon. It's such an awesome program.

Zombie:

Eh.. I don't care too much for the way his inner mouth looks...

An attempt at a more cartoony... thing...

WhiteFox

Cute. The mouth looks off, IMHO, because we should see the throat at the back. As is, it looks flat when it should deeeep.

demongirl12000

I edited the hell out of it...

Here's a better version of it, without the grey background.

(oops, Magic Eraser took a chunk out of the eyebrow piercing...)

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Dannysaysnoo

demongirl12000

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on January 24, 2008, 08:11:47 PM
Is that a cigar at the bottom of his mouth?

No. You are either referring to his lip, which is stripe'd, or his lip piercing. No cigars.

Zedd

demongirl12000

Err...

Not much else really.

I usually do realistic people or cartoony people, and sometimes animals. But those are a bit difficult for me to do.

Zedd

Omega

Quote from: Rae Heulwen on January 25, 2008, 07:11:15 AM
But those are a bit difficult for me to do.

That only makes them more rewarding after you've drawn something that looks cool.

WhiteFox

That bird is beautiful.

I find the things I hate to draw are my favorite things to draw. Like hands. Ooooh, the hands. (shiver)

demongirl12000

Two moar arts.

My characters in the making, Marco and Pollo.

For bigger view of Pollo, go here.

WhiteFox

Polo is usually spelled with one L, just so you know.

I love how silky the fur looks. Especially on Pollo's arm.

demongirl12000

Um... oops?

I guess his name means chicken now... (which I have been figuring he would be a bit of a scared-y cat anyways).
I'm a really bad speller...

I lurve doing silky fur.

WhiteFox

demongirl12000

Good idea.

Thanks. I have a hard time coming up with names.

---------------------------------

The Joker! Hahaha!... he looks more like a clown :(