A Book Thread (*WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS*)

Started by Angel, December 19, 2007, 10:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel

This thread needs a better title.

Anyways. I love being able to discuss books I've read with people, but with certain books, either no-one else has read it or no-one wants to discuss it very deeply. So in this thread, you can describe an awesome book you've read, talk about books others have mentioned, and recommend books to people. Try to keep it on topic; if digressions feel necessary, keep them to a minimum. And if you haven't read a particular book, beware of spoilers.

I really wanna start off, so on with the thread.

Othello - Shakespeare

This, I think, gave Macbeth a run for its money as the best freaking tragedy Shakespeare ever wrote. For those who don't know about it, a Venetian Moor named Othello, a general in the Venetian army, marries a Senate member's daughter named Desdemona. Two men, Iago and Roderigo, are very upset with Othello; Iago because Othello didn't give him a promotion he believed he deserved, and Roderigo because he loves Desdemona and wants to be married to her. They team up to ruin Othello's life. A more detailed description can be found on Wikipedia.

This was the first book I've read since I was a kid that almost made me cry. Shakespeare created a situation that seemed so real, so tangible, that anyone could relate to it. The themes of the book - racism, betrayal, jealousy, passion - are so powerfully connected to human emotion and today's world, it makes the play seem incredibly modern.

But the best part of the book was, and always will be, Iago. He is the most perfect villain I have found in any medium. He knows he's doing something evil, but he assumes that everyone else is just as wicked as he is. He tries to justify his actions to himself, so it seems for a moment as though there is a shred of good left in him, but at the end, when he's given the chance to fess up, he just doesn't speak a word. The character is the most brilliant actor I've ever seen; I almost laughed when Roderigo finally realized Iago's true ethics, and practically spat at him, "O damned Iago! O Inhuman dog!" It was so deliciously ironic that the first character to realize that "Honest Iago" was a lying, sneaking, backstabbing, self-serving bastard was the first character to die by his hand. And the fact that Iago came so close to getting away with it earns him more of my respect than any other villain I've ever read about.

I could ramble on more, but I'm running short on time. So... any other thoughts? Other books, perhaps?
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

rabid_fox

I've always been more of a fan of 'Hamlet' as a play when it comes to Shakespeare.

If you enjoy reading plays though - 'Angels in America' is one of the finest plays to read. Most rely heavily on performance, but 'Angels in America' is astoundingly beautiful.

Oh dear.

superluser

Quote from: Black_angel on December 19, 2007, 10:12:18 AMThis, I think, gave Macbeth a run for its money as the best freaking tragedy Shakespeare ever wrote.

Othello definitely beats out Macbeth.

Haven't read any really good books recently, but I've been meaning to read Writing & Illuminating & Lettering.

Oh, and stay away from Grid Systems by Kimberly Elam.  Worthless.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

techmaster-glitch

I read a book recently called Centauri Dawn, based off of an old computer game called Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. It's the first in a trilogy (I haven't gotten my hands on the other two yet), and I liked it. This book concentrates on the conflict between the factions of the Spartans and the Peacekeepers. The other two books are supposed to be the University vs. the Believers, then the Gaians vs. the Morganites.

I thought that it was a really good book. I'd actually describe it, but I'm a little preoccupied at the moment (just got back from the dentist. Half my face feels like a Jet-Puffed marshmallow :S), and at the moment, it's quite distracting. Can't type anything good and long. I will later, though.

Dannysaysnoo

my favorite book ever is called 'JPod", by Douglas Coupland. Its a comedy about a guy working as a game developer.

THe book pretty much start off with the main character, Ethan, helping his mother disposed of the drug dealers she provides drugs to, and a whole lot a shit spirals from that. its very hard to describe, and i can't really do it well.

Its full of great nerd humor, and is a good read if you can find it.

Vidar

"Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

There's nothing I can tell you about it without spoiling things, but I can tell you this: go to a bookstore and buy it right now. If they don't have it, burn down the store and find the next bookstore. No self-respecting bookstore doesn't have this book.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Angel

Quote from: Vidar on December 20, 2007, 03:24:04 AM
"Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

There's nothing I can tell you about it without spoiling things, but I can tell you this: go to a bookstore and buy it right now. If they don't have it, burn down the store and find the next bookstore. No self-respecting bookstore doesn't have this book.

OOH! I started reading that a few days ago; I love it so far and they've only just found the dog! (Danny, your book sounds kind of familiar; would they have it at Borders?)

Oh, and I recommend the Sherlock Holmes stories. True, everyone's heard of them, but I don't know of anyone who's read them besides my teachers and my grandfather. If you haven't read them yet, read one. I don't care if it's a kiddy adaptation, read at least one story. They're amazingly good, even if they do take a little while to read, and Holmes is a really interesting character.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!