Call for interest, RPG crossed with TCG am I mad? Probably...

Started by familyghost, December 15, 2007, 10:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

familyghost

Ok so I'm a bit of an RPG and TCG fan and some of my favorite RPGs are monster collection based ones.  Pokemon, Digimon and Monster Rancher among my favorites.  Recently though I've been getting back into my TCG game of choice though and both my RPG mania and TCG madness are going full crank and they kinda collided to make this weird idea for an RPG. 

The simple story follows in a world similar to our own that suddenly finds a well spring of magic that springs forward and "contaminates" the worlds collection of comics, cards and other illustrated forms of entertainment.  At first the world fears these "contaminated" items, however others are attracted to the odd powers these items emit and use them and the power trapped within for their own ends, be they good or ill.

The basic play would have people taking their favorite cards and such to use as minions.  If you want to use Yu-gi-Oh, use it.  Magic, no problem.  Marvel's TCG, go right ahead.  Heck, I'd even allow the Soul Calibur cards.  I realize how cheesy this probably seems but I thought it might be somewhat fun to try.

So, anyone interested?

techmaster-glitch

Hmm, does seem like it has potential...Have things other than cards been 'contaminated', and can they be used?

familyghost

Comics and graphic novels and such can be used but they would be different then cards.  Comics and Graphic novels would serve as something similar to a bodyguard while cards serve as portable reusable armies and such.  However all have the same weakness, if the host material is destroyed so is the summon.  Paintings would serve as something entirely different, farm more powerful, but stationary.  Things like movies or animations however would be simply unusable for this purpose (cover art is another story though).   

Basically any form of picture could be used, but the larger the picture the more powerful the spirit inhabiting it is. 

techmaster-glitch

Ah, has be tangible. Got it.

That being said, what will the 'summoned' things act like? Will they be of the same 'allignment' as they are supposed to be? With that, will they have 'free will'? I mean, obviously, they are supposed to listen to whoever summoned them, but if say, a good person summons an evil character, will it obey? Same as if an evil person summons a good character?

Or will something summoned fall into the same allignment as their summoner?

Or, will it actually be like a game, where this all doesn't matter, and everything is quasi-mindless?

Actually, something that would help determine this; is this where we are a party of players, and we have to stop, say, an evil organization from using this magic to take over the world, or is it gonna just be PvP, like the Honor Circle? If party vs. NPC, one of the first two would proabbly work best, if PvP, then the third would probably be the best option.

familyghost

Typically they'll be aligned how they naturally would be (good vs neutral vs evil), so evil guys should naturally be seeking out naturally evil things to summon.  If alignment is neutral it the depends on the personality of the summon usually based on on an elemental basis.  Of course the longer a summon is with a certain master the more likely they are to listen to them despite orders that are contrary to their personality and alignment.  So if a really good guy has an angel he's been with for a while and he suddenly goes crazy and evil the angel will likely still listen to it's master.

It comes to down to a few combinations of things.  Of course if monster summoned is naturally mindless, like a zombe or skeleton or something, then it'll pretty much serve anyone.  Tell me if I'm not clear enough, because I may have skipped over something.

techmaster-glitch

A few more questions;

Is there a time limit on summons? if so, how much?

Is there a limit on how many things you can summon? If so, I'd imagine that, since you said the bigger a picture is, the stronger it is, that bigger things are harder/take more energy to summon than smaller things. Is this correct?

Can someone draw/create something of their own and summon it?

Is it possible to summon things other than just pictues and paintings, like action figures, sculptures, or statues?

And you didn't answer my last question. Is this game based on party vs. NPC (trying to stop and evil organization from taking over the world with this power), or PvP?

techmaster-glitch

Do you 'own' whatever you summon? As in, you summon something, and it is yours, no one else can use it?

Is there a limit on how many summons you can own?

You said that the more you summon something, the more likely it is that it will listen to you. Does this also mean they can gather 'experience' and increase in power/abilities the more they are used?

(Apologies for the double-post, but I had to make sure you saw it before you finished posting. The system alerts you if someone's posted while you are, but not if they modified their post, and I forgot these two questions. One extra post instead of two)

familyghost

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on December 16, 2007, 12:25:16 AM
A few more questions;

Is there a time limit on summons? if so, how much?

Is there a limit on how many things you can summon? If so, I'd imagine that, since you said the bigger a picture is, the stronger it is, that bigger things are harder/take more energy to summon than smaller things. Is this correct?

Can someone draw/create something of their own and summon it?

Is it possible to summon things other than just pictues and paintings, like action figures, sculptures, or statues?

And you didn't answer my last question. Is this game based on party vs. NPC (trying to stop and evil organization from taking over the world with this power), or PvP?

Cards have a semi-time limit.  As long as the summoner can maintain the force to hold them they stay summoned until the spirit itself cannot maintain it's form (it's beaten).  Most everything else is capable of summoning itself into battle and maintaing it's own prescience for quite a while.  A few even have no limit.  (I'm trying to write out the rules to this right now)

Again the focus of the summoner is important, the greater the focus of the summoner the longer they can summon and the larger the summon can be.

For someone to summon something they've created they need a few things; 1) A font of mana, 2) A spirit that has not found a place to live and 3) GREAT skill with both summoning and maintaining summons.  The result is usually a summon on level with larger works these are also bound to the summoner permanently and no one else can summon them (I plan on letting people have these if they can write a REALLY good bio for it).

OK that depends on how artistic they are.  Things like D&D miniatures and Clix things are more likely to attract an errant spirit than like a GI JOE action figure, but it's possible.

OH, sorry didn't see the last one.  It's a bit of both.  It's the magic users against the government that's trying to contain all the objects that were contaminated, but I can see some infighting happening considering all the different extreme personalties are likely to develop.  I might also accept a few "spies" for the government.

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on December 16, 2007, 12:28:11 AM
Do you 'own' whatever you summon? As in, you summon something, and it is yours, no one else can use it?

Is there a limit on how many summons you can own?

You said that the more you summon something, the more likely it is that it will listen to you. Does this also mean they can gather 'experience' and increase in power/abilities the more they are used?

(Apologies for the double-post, but I had to make sure you saw it before you finished posting. The system alerts you if someone's posted while you are, but not if they modified their post, and I forgot these two questions. One extra post instead of two)

You sort of own them.  The more powerful the card the more aware of itself it is.  The more aware it is the more it'll demand to be treated as an equal.  But if you loose the summoning source (save for ones you made) anyone can use it if they have the power.  Of course if it's highly aware then it's likely the spirit will either turn on the new summoner or ignore them.

I'm not going to limit how many you can find and potentially own, but I'll limit the starting amount to something like 25 cards (maybe 30), 1-2 larger summons and if someone can provide a great bio, a self made summon I'll call familairs for now.

Well... now I didn't think about that, but I might try to see what I can do.  Sort of like Digimon and Pokemon... hmmm... 

familyghost

Ok, here are the types of summons and how I've worked them out.. a bit.

Sources are where the spirits of the world dwell to be summoned; each summon has a source, every source has its limits in use however.  Below is a list of the most common types and an explanation of their range of power.

Type 1: Small –Medium spirits.  These spirits often inhabit the many, many cards from the world's supply of Trading Card Games; as a result they are often used as foot soldiers and minions of summoners.  Most are mindless, but strictly abide by their elemental alignment.  However they feed off of all sources of mana and can quickly become aware and powerful.  Compared to most humans these spirits are quite powerful, but are still vulnerable to modern day weapons.

Type 1: Suptype- Spell: Some spirits possess cards that normally function as magical aid.  For some reason the spirits find easy escape from these cards once used.  However they remain attracted to the summoner and wait for more cards to inhabit.  It is assumed these spirits enjoy releasing the energy needed to create the magickal effect and thusly destroy the card.  Summoners refer to spell spirits as "Scrollies" and the smarter the summoner the more they attract.

Type 2: Medium – Large Spirits.  These spirits are often aware enough to command some sort respect from their summoner.  Most even engage in conversations with their summoner and often have behavioral similarities with their source.  These spirits tend to inhabit anything from larger cards to small paintings, Comics and cover artwork for various movies.   *Tattoo types of the type 2 variety can speak to their user at all times.  These summoners often display odd personality quirks.  A spirit must be invited to live in a tattoo.

Type 2 subtype- Guardian:  These specifically summoned spirits are fully sentient and sapient.  They often choose to serve their summoner regardless of alignment or element.  A large number of these spirits are often Type 1 summons that have served their summoner for a long time and have feed off so many forms of mana that they have become aware and are a force to be reckoned with.

Type 3: Large to gargantuan:  These spirits are naturally powerful, aware and dangerous.  Chances are they only WORK with the summoner due to some odd arrangement, usually involving the protection of their source.  A type 3 spirit in a full body tattoo is often referred to as a "fused" or "possessed" as the spirits and person have fully melded into one personality.

Type  4: Familiar:  Familiar's are spirits bound to the soul of the summoner that created them.  Their source is their summoner.  They are also fully aware of themselves and often behave as young children do.  For this reason familiars are a rare type of summon as it require s disciplined summoner to not only make one, but to tolerate and raise the young spirit given flesh.  If a familiar dies, so too does it's summoner and vice versa, however; a familiar can obtain spontaneous strength from seemingly nowhere and quickly become a force to be reckoned with.  Summoners often refer to them as "Magimon" and make a great deal of digimon references.  Familiar's are loyal to a fault and will obey their master, even if they question the orders.  Summoners who mistreat these rare beauties often find themselves dead when the poor spirit either dies of malnourishment (They require normal food) or commit suicide (remember they're sensitive!).  As a result all summoners attempting to make a familiar are required to have special training by their government.

** A note on the Abstract:  Abstract art cannot support a spirit as a spirit is already abstract.  Spirits that attempt to hide in abstract art usually end up both insane and exceptionally powerful or are destroyed.  **

familyghost

Ok, well I've got most everything I could think of written down in a word document, so now I'm getting some sleep and maybe I'll make a signup topic tomorrow just for the heck of it.  Till then, any questions of interest go here.

e_voyager

i have digimon and yugi-gi-oh cards but i've never played a game with either of them so i'm not sure how to use them for this rp
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

familyghost

Quote from: e_voyager on December 16, 2007, 11:16:43 AM
i have digimon and yugi-gi-oh cards but i've never played a game with either of them so i'm not sure how to use them for this rp

that's easy for me to answer.  There are spirits that inhabit the world in this RP and they live in cards and other tangible artworks.  In essence you wouldn't really be using the actual cards but sending forth a spirit that has taken the form the card represents.  In other words, you would be able to send out a few of each and control them with simple commands in fights against enemy forces.  The rules for all the TCG games themselves won't apply since this RP is only using the cards as a sort of summoning force.

e_voyager

ah thats count me in.

"who ha ha hoo digigodE returns with his trusty digimon deck ready to smack down analog man for the final time. "

er forget i said that okay?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

techmaster-glitch

Hmm, the premise has definately taken shape now, though maybe just a tiny bit too much...I'm wondering if it would be better on you to just write a story....
But I guess this could work out.

Anyways, lesse...hmmm, getting into an allignment not only influence your mind and soul, but your physical body too? I like that...

The opening story should probably be moved to the IC thread, if it gets started.

I think I've got an idea for a char... Be back soon.

EDIT: Oh, btw, are you gonna keep using this thread? Or has everything been moved to the OOC thread?)

familyghost

Yeah, everything is in it OOC thread now.  So if anyone can close this topic, I'd appreciate it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears