Bye, Bye Nintendo

Started by Destina Faroda, April 29, 2006, 03:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destina Faroda

I admit to having a certain bias when it comes to loving Nintendo, but if the earlier information about the system once known as Revolution weren't death knells, then the latest news about the console being renamed is sure sign the powers that be have given up.

My feelings on the whole issue can be summed up as this.

http://whatiswii.ytmnd.com/
Sig coming...whenever...

Sin Ominous

Even "GO" would've been a better idea, given that it means "5" in Japanese (for 5th console).

As Jimmy posted on ICVD:

ilpalazzo

I am going to buy My Wii. and enjoy it.

Destina Faroda

They'll probably be a collector's item some day as Nintendo's last console.
Sig coming...whenever...

Xuzaf D

Yes, I'm sure Nintendo profiting more than any other console company equals their demise. It's only a matter of time before Nintendo starts to hate money.

Fizzbit

Y'all Nintendo haters can dog on it, but I'm gonna buy it and enjoy it far more than the PS3 which will take 5 years for it to get down to a reasonable enough purchase price and that terrible XBox-360 which I will never touch.

It is a wierd turn, yes, but why the fuck are people judging it just because of its name? "Wii" may be a retarded name for a console, but "Snakes on a Plane" is a retarded name for a movie yet people are humping that like puppies hump pillows.

Achirio

you know Clara, this is why Nintendo screwed up in the American market O_o
You see, many people already are calling it a bad console just because they disagree with the name instead of waiting for it to come out and try it for themself. The masses are stupid, and this is why this was a very bad move by Nintendo because sadly is the masses that give the money. (I'm not calling anyone here stupid BTW, just taking the reactions from all the reactions around the net, this is not directed at anyone in this topic or even this boards).
Personally I'm waiting a bit before getting any consoles, see which one is better for my tastes and buy that one. (but i already discarded xbox360 tho)

Michaelangelo

Heres what I've noticed. If you're a Nintendo fan you will find every game, every console, every handheld, and experiment to be the best. Nintendo fans who have been fans since 85 and have gone along with them since then are the same people who even bought Virtua Boys. Nintendo is the type of company where either you are an extreme fan boy or you hate them. Theres really no inbetween. Many people feel that since Nintendo was the first they are the best. Sony people feel that since Sony has the most trendy consoles they are the best. Finally, all the Windows fans will like 360. I think each console and company has its strong points and its weak points. My XBox 360 burnt out on me twice and I had to send it back to MS. I may own it and whatnot but I can certainly say MS sucks when it comes to durable products. Although I do love games like Full Auto and DOA4. I can stay objective and still like the console. But people who never EVER find anything negative at all about Nintendo are fan boys. Same goes for Sony and MS. And most are proud of it too. Nintendo may have been around for years but they have had their low points and negative points to them. They're not perfect and neither is any other console company. Its really all about being objective and seeing the positive AND the negative. Personally I feel Nintendo is more flawed then beneficial when it comes to home consoles. BUUUUT Nintendo is top notch when it comes to handhelds. Sony is flawed all around although has a handful of games that are cool I guess, not enough for me to like them though. MS to me has the games I love to play. Thats why I like 360.

Xuzaf D

Dude. You can't just split the entire public into two rigid groups like that. I mean, I own a Gamecube, but I also own a PS2, and I sure as hell am in no rush to buy Chibi Robo. I also wouldn't want to own a Virtua Boy, or Super Scope, or a Power Glove. So does that mean I'm a hater or a Fanboy?

Achirio

I gotta agree with dalmuda.
I only was a Nintendo fan back in the NES, ever since other consoles have been my favorite (genesis, psx, ps2) however i wouldn't mind owning a gamecube, because it has good games on it.

Fizzbit

I admit that I was a hardcore Nintendo fan up until after the PS2 came out, but I had started playing PSX with my nephews while babysitting them in the summer of '02. Then I bought a PS2 because I saw the interesting lineup of games they had, plus I wanted to play Castlevania real bad.

I do admit that I will always remain a Nintendo fan, as I grew up on it from infancy, but I'm gonna get the "Wii" first, simply because well, 1) it's a Nintendo console and I really like the creativity aspect of it, and 2) It's gonna be the cheapest out of the three new consoles. It's gonna be $200, just like every other Nintendo console at release time. So what if it doesn't have the power of the other two consoles? Sony and Microsoft normally appeal to casual gamers with quick, easy-to-play games with little plot (save a few games). Nintendo I've never been disappointed in, whereas I admit selling a few Sony games.

Destina Faroda

It's not just the name.  It's the name and the concept.

I mean if Nintendo had just released a new system that was practically a PS3 clone without all the of the PS3's anti-piracy's BS and had free downloads of all past Nintendo games, guess what?  That would have been a killer system, even if it cost 500 bucks.  But Nintendo is trying to do something "new" and have a controller that you move in co-ordination with what occurs on screen.  People like console video games because you don't HAVE to move.  Putting a bad name on the product is trying to sell shit under the name of "shit"...at least they aren't hiding the fact that is is shit.  Nice to go out in a puddle of bodily fluids.

I am a Nintendo fan.  I'm not the biggest one by far, but I still think the N64 was a great system and better than the PSX.  I wished Gamecube had caught on more than it had.  I can't back this move, though.  Nintendo has thrown up the white flag.  It's only a matter of time before we see Zelda on the PS3 or PS4, guys.  What killed Nintendo?  Wii did.
Sig coming...whenever...

Fizzbit

I doubt Nintendo will sell any of their rights for Mario, Zelda, Metroid, or any of their big-market games until they seriously are belly-up, though.

And I dunno, it was always fun to be in a tight spot in a console video game, jump, and actually move your body and the controller with the character as you jumped, or kinda lift the controller while trying to dodge an attack, hunch and hold the controller close while in a spot where you gotta try and be stealthy, etc. I've seen lots of gamers do this. It's like Nintendo's just playing off of little quirks that gamers have had for a long time with the Wii's controller.

Xuzaf D

Quote from: Sailor Steeler on April 30, 2006, 09:28:56 PM
It's not just the name.  It's the name and the concept.

I mean if Nintendo had just released a new system that was practically a PS3 clone without all the of the PS3's anti-piracy's BS and had free downloads of all past Nintendo games, guess what?  That would have been a killer system, even if it cost 500 bucks.  But Nintendo is trying to do something "new" and have a controller that you move in co-ordination with what occurs on screen.  People like console video games because you don't HAVE to move.  Putting a bad name on the product is trying to sell shit under the name of "shit"...at least they aren't hiding the fact that is is shit.  Nice to go out in a puddle of bodily fluids.

I am a Nintendo fan.  I'm not the biggest one by far, but I still think the N64 was a great system and better than the PSX.  I wished Gamecube had caught on more than it had.  I can't back this move, though.  Nintendo has thrown up the white flag.  It's only a matter of time before we see Zelda on the PS3 or PS4, guys.  What killed Nintendo?  Wii did.

Okay, so you're saying that since the controller isn't exactly the SNES standard, and you don't like the name, the system is therefore the ultimate pile of shit? So what, you wouldn't want to use the traditional controllers either, or did you forget that bit of information that's been around for about a year?

IGN's mock-up:

Michaelangelo

Quote from: Dalmunda Jones on April 30, 2006, 06:28:37 PM
Dude. You can't just split the entire public into two rigid groups like that. I mean, I own a Gamecube, but I also own a PS2, and I sure as hell am in no rush to buy Chibi Robo. I also wouldn't want to own a Virtua Boy, or Super Scope, or a Power Glove. So does that mean I'm a hater or a Fanboy?

Well I'm talking about the Die Hard Nintendo fans. Not the objective people who go out and buy every console or buy the consoles for the games that they like. I'm talking about the people who go "Its a Nintendo product so it MUST be good." I had a debate with a huge die hard Nintendo fan who coincidently is a Mod here and he actually got pissed off because I said Virtua Boy sucked. He went "Have you ever owned a Virtua Boy or played one?" Do I really need to own something that bombs and doesn't appeal to me at all? I think you can say something sucks without actually having it. You can know the ebola virus is harmful without actually experiencing catching it. Anyways I debated with another Nintendo fan in another forum and he acted like I was insulting his Mom. I'm just saying some people take this shit too far. Its just a machine with a brand name. It should be the game that matter. You can play Resident Evil 4 on PS2 or Gamecube. What does it matter what console you buy it on? You're still buying a game that you like.

Achirio

But fanboys/girls are bad with any console O_o
A Nintendo fanboys/girls is as bad as xbox fanboys/girls which is also as bad as a ps2 fanboys/girls

Michaelangelo

Quote from: Achirio on April 30, 2006, 11:10:59 PM
But fanboys/girls are bad with any console O_o
A Nintendo fanboys/girls is as bad as xbox fanboys/girls which is also as bad as a ps2 fanboys/girls

Not exactly. Some Nintendo fanboys who have been only playing Nintendo consoles since the days of SNES and NES and refused to experience trying a new console out because they feel like they are turning on Nintendo can be worse. Its the people who will see a game they like on Sega Genesis, PSX, XBox, or any other console and say "Nope its not on a Nintendo console so I want nothing to do with it." These people won't admit that theres a possibility they may like this game even though its not available on a Nintendo console. But they fail to realize that yes Nintendo was the first but that doesn't mean all other consoles are subpar to Nintendo consoles. All consoles are equal. Theres at least one good game on each console. And it doesn't matter how long each console has been around. Games are what its all about. If you're buying only Nintendo consoles because you can honestly say no other games on the other consoles appeal to you thats one thing. Buying only Nintendo consoles because "Its Nintendo and it HAS to be great" is quite another. As Castlevania fans you guys should like Castlevania games no matter WHAT console its on. If its a good game its a good game. I hate PSX and PS2 but I can admit that I did like Castlevania: LOI. Its all about the games. Not about the consoles.

Oh yes and you're right though. I will agree that all fanboys are bad. But some are worse then others. And I find that most Sony and MS fanboys are at least a fraction objective. I've talked to alot of Nintendo fanboys and they have horrible tunnel vision.

Xuzaf D

That's because a good half of the Nintendo audience is still made of eight-year-old rpg/strategy fans.

Break Man

Hey!  I resemble that remark!

Nintendo's naming sucks.  I could say this about a lot of other things Nintendo has done in the past, but their naming sucks number one.  Does this mean I'm going to overlook all the great titles already coming to the Wii?  No.  I am more of the type who sees what games are coming out, and I am excited about those, not just names, or controller schemes, or whatnot (although it was really hard for me to get my hands wrapped around the original XBox controller--man, that was a monster).  There are several 360-exclusives that look great (Silicon Knights' Too Human series), the PS3 is going to be getting some of the best franchises out there (MGS, DMC, FF), while the Nintendo is going to offer something that no one else can: the largest launch library in existence.  With the VC, we can download NES, SNES, N64, (the next two I've merely heard, could someone back these up?) Genesis, and TurboGrafx games, for a small fee.  I am not a fanboy of any of the systems in the least, but I can see what is coming to which system (I would love to see a 3D CV come to the Wii).

Michaelangelo

Quote from: Dalmunda Jones on May 01, 2006, 02:09:29 AM
That's because a good half of the Nintendo audience is still made of eight-year-old rpg/strategy fans.

As Bill Cosby would say "Pokemarm"

Darkmoon

Last I had heard, certain titles will be released from the Sega and Turbo Graphix library, yes.

As for CV on the Wii, there's no official confirmation, but IGA has stated he would like to work with the system, which was the same remark he used when the DS was in development.

Esnel Pla

Jesus Christ, it's just a fucking name. How about we all whine about it?

ilpalazzo

I'm still going to buy it names don't vother me it is companies.

Darkmoon

I'm with Esnel Pla. While I won't be able to say the name with a straight face for a while, it boils down to game play in the end...

Achirio

True, but like i said, stupid people is what make the market, and stupid people go for names...

Darkmoon

Well, the mass makret does also like stupid, pretty things. I mean, just look at paris Hilton. ;)

ilpalazzo

If the Wii is shiny it will sell well all idiots love shiny things.

oh shiny rock. *grabs rock and runs*

Xuzaf D

Hey! He stole my rock!

::pulls his less shiny and more jagged rock::

Sin Ominous

At least they have revealed a more SNES-like controller, but I hear the Remote will also still be used. I'm guessing the SNES-like is more geared towards the online library of past titles.