[Art] How's My Abel?

Started by ambertino, November 15, 2007, 01:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambertino

:mowmeep I drew an Abel as fan fiction, what does everyone think? http://ambertino.deviantart.com/art/Abel-69713001 (There are some things in my gallery not for ppl under the age of 19, but it's all blocked.)

Turnsky

uh... kill the lens flare, then i'll be able to tell you =p

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Zedd

Yes please do...Lense flares shouldnt be that big or bright unless your in will drawing a giant sun but neverless it looks okay abit

Zina

I would suggest cropping your pics so that your get rid of the spirals and edges of your sketchbook. Also avoid using effects like lens flare. Rarely does it actually look good.
What sort of program do you use to color? It'd be a good idea to learn to use levels and layers to keep your linework from being eaten.

I do like your style and I think you have a lot of good ideas. Keep practicing your anatomy and your linework and you'll do well.

King Of Hearts

Well you have an... interesting picture in your gallery... [Im a guy so I think that a comment regarding that is obligatory or they'll kick me out the guy club.]

Now on to the picture critique...

Yes, definitely take off the lensflare.

Okay lets go with Wings... i would recommend doign a steeper slope of the upper parts to make it look sleeker, Its jut my personal style but its wouldnt hurt to extend the length of the wing until near the knee level to give it a fuller look. With the ears,  have the center of the ear in line with Abel's eyes annd have the lower end of the ear join up a bit higher on the face between the start of the jaw line. You can also make the hand larger, I grab my face from time to time to make a comparison on how big it is. With crease lines, have it flow down with the fabric, imagine where the cloth is being held then draw lines flowing down from there to meet up with the edges of the higher crests of the waves on the bottom edge of his loincloth, You have good basics, hips in line with the elbows and as wide as the shoulders... O and I think you should put some spots on the top of Abel's noggin.

llearch n'n'daCorna

In respect to the first...

"Ooo, that's some good shiney!"
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Stig Hemmer

I assume he is holding a fireball or something like that?  I agree with the other critics that the flare effect is too strong and/or big, but other than that he looks very good.

It may be reallistic that you can't see much else when somebody is holding something very bright, but that doesn't mean it makes for good art.  If it had been a single frame in a longer comic strip, the audience would have said "oooh, shiney!" and accepted it.  A stand-alone art work like yours, no go.

Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

rt

Wow that is some big shiny!
I didn't know you could make them seem that bright.
I'm going to say good on that .. it does look like really powerfull majic .. and now all other flares will now seem lame in comparison
(You call that a lens flare .. I once saw a lens flare that hurt my eyes!)

As for able, the body-head looks very good. But the head wings and back wings seem qute large and over welm the body somewhat. The flare nicely accents the shadows you did for his outfit / muscles too.

MaskedRetriever

Composition:

The wings are a little obviously being drawn to the limits of the page-- having them either well within the bounding box or trailing off would dramatically improve the overall composition and improve the sense of depth: figures boxed in near the edges of the panel tend to look like they're right *at* the edges of the page rather than somewhere behind it, which makes it look flat.

The lens flare washes out a lot of the picture, which could be exactly what you'd want in a particular panel of a comic, but as a stand-alone picture it creates the distinct impression that details the artist didn't like are being covered up  :mowninja

That said the stance works and fits with one's expectations of what a portrait should look like.

Anatomy:

Although there's an overall skew (Abel appears slanted to the left somewhat, making him look a little like a cutout) the anatomy details are spot-on with the exception of the wings (lots said already), the ears being a little low on his head, and that right hand which looks a bit club-like-- hands take years upon years of practice so just keep drawing to fix THAT one.  :B

Color:

Lens flares usually a bad thing for color.  This is no exception.  Colors correctly picked but that's easy enough, so moving on to the real problem here, the shading.  Done with a fader brush, it'd be nice if the edges of filled areas were tapered so as to make the width of the fader brush used less obvious.  Clearly you are paying attention to where the shadow belongs, but I'd recommend working a little on what *shape* it is.

Line:

The line doesn't show real confidence yet but that's strictly a practice thing-- particularly if you look at the wing tips you see the pen waver slightly, as if unsure of the direction of the curve.  An exercise that might help here is rapidly drawing the pencil before hand over the page, trying to make smooth curved lines that look a certain way, also known as practicing, which we all must do constantly.

Overall:

It's workable, if still youthful, and I like what I see so far.  Keep it up, you're already AEONS ahead of where I was at 19.

Silverfoxr

shouldnt this be in the tower of art? but umm ya the lens flare kinda ruins it - but as for critc his ears are the wrong shape they should be more sideways (hes not a canine)and the wings are to big

GabrielsThoughts

Didn't anyone tell you you're not supposed to take a picture of someone while they are in the path of direct sunlight?
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Kenji

Hey, that's not fan fiction. D:

Zina

I merged your two topics. Next time, keep it down to just one, please.

Fuyudenki

Hands are hard.

Faces are hard.

Draped clothing is hard.

Ears are tricky, though I wouldn't say they're "hard."

Wings are really hard.

Animal faces are exceptionally hard.

Perspective is tricky, but again, I wouldn't say it's "hard."

Proportions can be as much a hindrance as a help, but you should learn them, anyway.

Fur is actually fairly easy.

Shadows are very tricky, which makes them hard.

Lens flares will make any drawing look like it belongs on Myspace.(stupid Emo kiddies!)

Not bad, could be better, all the advice you need is already posted in the thread.

Dannysaysnoo

I thought it was good, but as previously mentioned, the wings, and the lensflare are a bit large.

I only judge based on things that ore very bad, since i can't draw worth of shite myself.

Eibborn

I actually caught myself squinting as I looked-

PSHOOOOOOOM LENSFLARE!

Okay, but really now, I think the way you do ears is pretty cool, and I kinda like his mouth, too. The wings do look like you were cramming 'em in, but hey, when you run out of room you run out of room.

:D Looks pretty good!
/kicks the internet over

AnizInDisguise

Good, though the lensflare hurts my eyes.

But I'm sure Wildy would be all over it!

ambertino

Thanks for all the comments, I'll work on it for my other drawings