The Honor Circle Returns! (IC)

Started by Boog, November 02, 2007, 07:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreyRonin

Something moved past the man, glossy black and nearly silent despite its' size. An eyeless head peered down to examine him, and slime-covered lips peeled back from silvery teeth as long as his forearm.

Something else drew the creature's attention, and it approached the door. It reached out a massive arm and tugged on the door, nearly ripping it from the frame.

Shuddering slightly, the massive creature squeezed its' body through the doorway, the frame screeching like a chalkboard against the glossy black exoskeleton. As it entered it pulled itself erect, the sleek, eyeless head that swept up and back into a cranial crest touching the ceiling.

The massive upper arms folded inwards as the smaller lower ones spread for a moment then hung, wrists poised like a preying mantis ready to strike. It took in the room through some odd means, and the upper lip curled into something resembling a feral sneer.

A huge tail slithered in behind the creature, the eight-foot spike on the tip coming around to be held level with the waist, as it moved to look at the Circles outside. Talons on each foot gouged the floor in screeches, and the tips of the four organic-looking tubes that jutted spikishly from the back pulsed.

The huge creature walked closer to the bar, then turned to face the room again. A feeling similar to having one's mind coated with cold swept across the room, as the huge creature backed and folded itself into the corner like some demonic gargoyle. The arms folded inwards, and the front of the head slid backwards under the armored crest.

The bartender's mind is touched by something that is black ice and bloated corpses floating in moonlight. "You will bring me water."

nikename2

.......Mom?

Rip just lied there, staring back at the huge....otherworldly insect like creature before him. He didn't move at all, he just stared back at it with tired eyes. Then it moved onward toward the door, nearly breaking it as it opened. Still, Rip didn't bother getting up, and continued his staring contest with the tree above him.

Meh...let them deal with it.

Stygian

The moment the door opened, the blond man's eyes moved slowly to the side. At first he seemed as relaxed as he had been sitting on the barstool, but then, as the newly arrived creature revealed the first few inches of itself, his whole head turned and his eyes widened in his now speechless expression. The thing crammed itself into the room, or the hall if that was the proper word for it, and raised all of its huge form, brushing the ceiling. It passed the well-dressed man, and then stopped to stare eyelessly at the Boogeyman.
   For a couple of moments Stygian had been hidden behind the glossy black thing's form. When he came back into view though, his expression was not one of shock as before. Instead, a wide grin, surprisingly sinister for his so handsome features, was spread all over his face. Just after the creature stopped, he surprised further by giving up a short but again, eerily evilly sounding laugh. Few were close enough to reliably say they caught the look of a pair of a bit too long fangs, before he sealed his lips into a smirk.
   'Now this is starting to look like something,' the man said. 'Another lady has joined the party. All gentlemen rise.' He seemed to be joking with that last statement.

Angel

The fight ended with a crash of sound and fury. Had her fingers not absently dipped in her water glass, Sylvie might have applauded. As it was, she simply withdrew her hand, wiped her damp fingers off on her dry palm, and smiled approvingly at Keaton as she re-entered. She decided that if she was going to survive here, she'd need to up her physical attacks so she wouldn't be... well, to put it bluntly, snapped like a twig. She looked at what water was left in the cup, drinking the rest by mouth while listening to the others discuss the fight.

When Stygian asked for what sounded like a sparring match, she was about to accept when a large, insectoid... thing walked in the room. She did her very best not to stare at the (apparently female) creature, choosing instead to stare at Stygian when he let forth a chillingly sinister laugh. Geez. I don't even HAVE blood and I think it just ran cold.

"Greetings, ma'am," she welcomed the newcomer, politely as she could. Each new arrival so far was more intimidating than the last. Sylvie had been in fear for her life before, but never at a "friendly" setting like this one. This place just kept getting more fun.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Stygian

'Ah, well. Not precisely my kind,' Stygian commented, studying the massive alien's physique. It was most grotesque and intriguing in its makeup, something that he could relate to. But it was hardly something that he would like to fight to commence the evening. It seemed like that sort of battle would quickly become too destructive and flashy.
   Breaking off the thoughts of wondering, the man turned back to the rest of the establishment, managing to ignore the huge monster among their midst with enviable efficiency.
   'So? Anyone? Or shall I have to sit down and mind my own business?' he asked.

lucas marcone

As the thing entered Ian stared as it moved to the corner. he sounded creeped out as he spoke. "But most people call me Ian.....I'm not imagineing the giant alien looking thing am I? I sewar if my roommate slipped me acid again I'll kill him."

Sunblink

Keaton honestly had pondered killing Rip.

As her laughter died down into gravelly snickers and the light afire in the cores of her eldritch eyes petered away into diminishing dots, Keaton felt her mind drift down from the bloodstained euphoria fighting always shunted her into; that artificial heaven crafted of lies and horror which she always, always escaped to when things went wrong and escalated beyond her tenuous control. Her head lolled to the side as Keaton assessed Rip's condition from afar, her hand unconsciously clenching and flexing its knuckles. What to do with the bug? She'd have no problems with killing him. Rip was an Angel. Literal or metaphorical, it didn't really matter to Keaton. As riddled with loopholes as her prejudice was, she vehemently anchored herself to her hate with no regrets.

Hefting Catastrophe, Keaton ceased toying with those possibilities, about to approach the collapsed scorpion-Angel so she could efficiently exterminate him when the Boogeyman made his presence known. His abrupt appearance made Keaton stiffen and her pupils pinprick, the residual haze of eerily whitewashed energy flickering and dying from the chocolate-brown of her irises. She didn't see him approaching. Immediately loosening all pretenses of being a threat, Keaton watched him bypass her, then sighed and shook her head, turning her back on her defeated opponent so she could stride back to the building.

Ah well... she'd get her taste of blood sooner or later. What was one Angel? She was in a good mood. It wasn't enough to keep her from tormenting him, but it was enough for Keaton to discard the concept of eliminating her adversary in his weakened and vulnerable state.

Mercurial as ever.

Almost as a poignant juxtaposition to the wickedness of her thoughts, Keaton hummed lightly to herself as she re-entered the building, returning Catastrophe to its place on her back just before she opened the door.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Boog

Something psychic. The Boogeyman HATED psychic things. Physical entities being able to interact with free thoughts on that level was, in his opinion, cheating. At what he'd yet to decide, but definitely cheating. He was rather big on rules that way. He brought over the water, frown deepening as he noted the creature's lack of pockets jangling with coin. With a shrug he set out the water and glommed a few thoughts off of the area around her. Useless to him, yes, but worth plenty to eccentric or particularly alien thoughtforms. It would cover her drinks.
His mood and expression brightened as Keaton reentered. "Well well! The conquering heroine herself. Don't suppose I'm so lucky that you worked up any sort of thirst out there?"
What? Save for the Book, he wasn't being payed by the fight!

--

Some manner of creature that put Siolen in mind of a dragon, if a dragon were made by one who heard the creatures described but never saw one themselves, entered and staked out a table at the back of the bar wordlessly. Something about it made his head ring. Hearing the blond man put forward withdrawing his challenge, he made up his mind and raised one stone hand.
"You have my interest, Sir," the gargoyle said, assuming he was addressing someone of rank, "Had I come here to watch small girls smash bugs, I would have stayed home and watched cartoons."

Stygian

The man just looked at the golem for a moment, and then shrugged his thoughts. 'Well, interest is short of decision. I'll say that I think you will need determination to defeat me,' he said. Straightening his coat, he walked over, put his hat on the bar and reached down to pick up his briefcase. 'And perhaps, some weapons?' he suggested, passing Siolen a look. 'I'll warn you that I use firearms. And think before you imply that you being made of stone will make enough of a difference.'

Boog

"Being made of meat wouldn't help me much either, Sir. I'll simply do as others would and not get shot," Siolen smiled, quickly scraping the blade on his tail across the floor (thus earning a glare from the barkeep), "My hands have always served me well, I see no cause to change now."  The gargoyle turned and went outside. He stepped into the circle and turned back toward the bar, waiting for Stygian. "Shall we then?"

nikename2

You gotta blink some time tree........GAH!!

A sudden shift in the wind ruffled something out of the branches, falling onto Rip's forehead as he lied. The sun which was poking itself out of the cloud cover began to retreat back again as it started to set on the horizon of the unfamiliar skyline. It didn't seem like a mere coincidence, but Rip paid no attention as he rolled over to inspect what beaned him in the head. Much to his surprise, he recognized the small trinket as it had his name etched on the back of it.

It was a small sun medallion on a gilded chain necklace, laced with a mystical nature tied to altering one's certain aesthetic features, namely the large wings coming out of his back. Rip sighed as he wrapped it back around his neck, concentrating on it for only a split-second, then in an instant the wings on his back were gone, leaving only the dark markings of their origin. He then tucked it under his shirt, concluding that it must have come off during his rough arrival to this place, and then decided to get up and go back inside.

He made his way toward an empty table near the large, alien-like creature, and lounged in an empty seat, but not before bowing politely before The Queen. From what it looked, there was gonna be another fight going on, and he really wasn't interested in being a part of it. Atleast not at the moment anyways.....

Stygian

Stygian smiled and shook his head. 'I still advise you not to take me lightly. And I'll take it that I'm still the challenger, and you are the challenged?' he said, walking past and still ignoring the hulking alien. 'I'm quite curious as to what battlefield and conditions you have chosen...'
   Opening the door, the man stepped out, the wind ruffling his white-blond hair a bit. He straightened his coat, and then took those last few steps down and out, striding silently into the circle.

Cogidubnus

All three of them, the wolf, the Jackal, and the blackguard were completely silent when the Queen entered the suddenly very-small bar. Three sets of eyes followed the alien as she entered the bar to sit by herself at a far corner. The Jackal was the first to turn away, looking back outside at the recovering fighters, and the Blackguard after that. The dark-armored man's pipe dangled from his mouth as he turned, shaking his head.
The wolf, though, kept his eyes on the alien Queen, only glancing occasionally outside, and then keeping her safely in the corner of his peripheral vision.

The Jackal, however, kept his eyes on the bat and the little stone creature, and scratched his chin thoughtfully.
Should be interesting, he thought.

Boog

"Take you lightly? Never sir," the gargoyle's eyes widened in naive surprise, "I try to be a courteous opponent, yes, but not half so generous a one. To underestimate one's foe is to grant them a great advantage, Sir. As for the rules," Siolen's head tilted to one side, briefly, "We fight to the forfeit, or until one of us can no longer fight. Furthermore, if there are no compelling objections," the ground began rising in spires, forming vaguely familiar shapes as the circle acted on the challenged fighter's thoughts. The construct warmed up and stretched a little, deciding it would be best to take this in stride, "We shall do so on my turf."
I remember, I guarded a temple once...
The stone creature concluded its stretches and brought its fists together with a bang, as the environment within the circle grew and changed...

It was a cathedral. He was on the roof of a cathedral, not entirely unlike Notre Dame. It looked exaggerated here and there, the spires rising to structurally impossible points and each of the (inanimate) gargoyles intricately detailed. It was based on Siolen's memory, not the original. Stygian was amongst them at the edge of the roof, clouds below giving an intimidating impression of how far down it was.
Siolen stared down from one of the many steeples (far more than there probably were on the real deal) for a second, clinging with one hand and tail with his hooves braced on the structure. Then he jumped down to some other part of the roof and was gone, hidden amongst the roof scenery.
Let him get his bearings. I did say I'd be courteous.

--

While on the inside it had grown, on the outside the circle had seemingly grown smaller. Both fighters were almost figurines on a model cathedral, complete with full moon hanging in a deep, dark mist of a night sky over it. The Boogeyman took a look at this and sighed. It tried so hard to accomidate any set of rules. He got to work on creating a second circle, scuffing his shoe in the dirt outside the bar to create the lines of the arena. A few inches behind where his heel passed the line darkened into something permanent. Can't have it look like a waste of space, after all.

Stygian

The environment seemed to almost spin and swirl, as if moving around them with speed, the man and the gargoyle the only solid things amid a dreamlike blur as the landscape changed. It was impossible to get any solid bearing on things, and before Stygian even had the chance to try, he found himself standing at their battlefield already.
   It was a ledge among the slightly slanted panes of a cathedral rooftop. Every hard, stony surface around was bathed in glistening moonlight, and beyond and over a low city landscape that while probably illusory looked every bit of the reality it was supposed to reflect, hung a fat moon, dribblingly mirrored in the river that passed off below under low bridges. It looked marvelous. And it pleased Stygian greatly. A cathedral might be his domain, but the night is mine, he thought. And moonlight just makes it all the more beautiful.
   'Well, I thought you looked a bit unassuming at first. But now I can see where you're from, and that you have good taste,' the man commented. He made no movement, save rotating his head a bit so he could get a good look at the surroundings. He barely looked after Siolen as the gargoyle jumped down and out of sight. Well, if this is how we're fighting and I'm not to exert myself so much, then I need to draw him out. And I can't fight him too well on a slope, Stygian thought. He looked up behind him, trailing the roof's edge. And while no one watching could really see because of the perspective, his eyes blackened over entirely for a second.
   For a few moments, the man just stood there, looking around. Decisively, he lifted the briefcase and put the handle between his teeth, and placed a hand against the roof, crouching a bit. And then, with astounding agility for a mere man, he jumped up, springing off the ledge and kicking away from the first foothold he could find, a piece of ornamentation, then next from a cracking and then sliding pane. Finally, he gripped the edge of the roof with one hand, and with the speed he'd acquired and a display of one-armed strength, threw himself over the side and up on the flat top in a crouched position. Taking the briefcase from his mouth, he immediately swiveled his head, gazing around for an ambush.

Angel

"Dangit!" Sylvie said under her breath when the gargoyle accepted Stygian's challenge. I wanted to fight 'im... But the battlegrounds looked interesting enough to make up for it. A tiny cathedral was visible within the circle, which she guessed was the gargoyle's doing. It certainly looked pretty, though she preferred more arable territory. She rose and walked to the window, shooting a look at Ian and mouthing "Don't be mean" to him, nodding subtly towards the Queen. She didn't want to be patronizing, especially not to someone so powerful, but she hated seeing anyone different get treated with disrespect.

She took an empty window seat and watched the battle begin. Stygian seemed like an interesting foe so far, though she guessed that the gargoyle had more to him than met the eye. "Is it okay to go outside during the fight?" she called to the owner. She wasn't sure if she should say it, but now that she'd had a drink, she felt like heading out in the sun to get some "food."
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Boog

"Feel free!" The Boogeyman replied, "Hell, we could probably use the improvement of scenery. Just don't get in the way while I set up a spare circle."

--

Siolen crept around the wall of the imposing edifice, hands and hooves instinctively finding handholds amongst the ornamental carvings. It wasn't his original environment, but he'd guarded one like it a long, long time ago. He circled around to the top of one of the other spires, doing everything to keep himself hidden from his foe. He crouched at the top, watching and calculating...
And then reached out and sent one of the inanimate stone gargoyles over the edge with a single, deliberate motion and watching as it tumbled toward Stygian with a slight grinding noise as the only warning as it parted company with the wall.

Stygian

Siolen acted silently, yet even that faint grinding noise seemed to be enough to set this 'Stygian' off. It was as if he had almost perfect focus and attention. Either that, or a lot of practice, because the moment the gargoyle made himself noticed, the man's hand swept inside his coat. He tumbled aside, and then onto his knees, before a long, darkly gleaming shape whipped into view a split second before the man squeezed off a rapid few shots, the sharp bangs of the gun followed by hard snaps hitting and ricocheting off a very close target figure, right around Siolen's position. It seemed that while polite, the man did not give much leeway when well in the fight.

lucas marcone

Ian made an "I'm sorry" face. "Wanna go practice a bit? If were going to be fighting people of this calibur we best warm up. How does a hand to hand match sound?"

Boog

Boog scratched out the last circle and stepped back with a flourish as it gave off one flash of light; it was ready for the next pair of violence junkies to want a fight. He grinned, appreciating the feeling of a job well done. And, coincidentially, the prospect of more people beating the hell out of each other.
"Second circle's ready, for whoever's interested."

--

Siolen scrambled to the side of the steeple and swung on another gargoyle statue around to the other side. Safely behind shelter he pumped his fist in the air and grinned. He was worried that this fancy-suited fellow would be all talk, but this 'Stygian' man's senses might've been on par with his own!
Well, if that was the case, it would be doing the man a disservice to refrain from returning fire. He had higher ground, the home field advantage, and a good deal of faith in his evasive skills. He grabbed another loose chunk of stone off the wall, swung around the other side again and threw the head-sized rock before clambering around the other side again.
I'll need to lure him up here, where his range isn't quite so advantageous. His climbing skills are probably good enough for that to not be TOO far fetched.

Stygian

Precisely opposite to the gargoyle's thoughts, Stygian was thinking that he should use his advantage in range to a maximum. Dodging the flying rocks with speed, he could easily avoid the creature's harassment. But that would not earn him victory. And just falling back on my abilities would be cheap and tiring, he thought. Well, as long as I don't do anything overly dramatic...
   The next rock smashing to bits next to him, the man dropped the briefcase, and with a quick motion snapped it open faster than that sort of thing should have been able to. From within he pulled out a gleaming, dark silhouette of a long-barreled something, and then slipped a small cylinder into his hand. He twisted the top around with a snap, and then threw the thing up in the golem's direction, already tensing to spring.
   A high-pitched whine preceded the cylinder's explosion, a strange purplish-blue flash erupting into a darkening, blurry cloud of black. Much of the rooftop was obscured, and Stygian took the chance to evade Siolen's senses, slipping into the dark. The darkness dissipated slowly, and for perhaps a dozen seconds the man was not to be seen. Only the ones observing from outside had the chance to catch a glimpse of him.
   But Stygian was not gone for long. A short whirr was the only warning Siolen got, before a stream of white-blue glowing projectiles darted against him from far off to the side, smattering sounds following them. The man was firing bursts at him with something that had to be an assault rifle, or the equivalent.

Boog

He was already around the other side of the spire away from the lethal whisper of Stygian's bullets, focusing on the direction the sound had come from. The dark was no issue for his eyesight; he was made to ALWAYS be watching. He flung one more rock and clambered down, still on the opposite side of the steeple from his enemy and slipping down silently onto the ledge around the roof. I shall have to come upon him by surprise if I'm to succeed, or he shall have me pinned under his fire forever. He continued toward where he'd seen Stygian, weaving amongst statues less mobile but no less well carved as himself. I should be right under him about... Now. Stone haunches tensed...

Sunblink

Being referred to as the "conquering heroine" by the Boogeyman managed to capture Keaton's attention, certainly enough for her to lose any remaining interest in her capricious desire to kill Rip, or, as how she had dubbed him in her mind, "that Angel bastard." Smirking widely in that demented, devious manner of hers, the jackal swept her arm around flamboyantly and took a bow, taking her sweet time before trudging up to the counter. In her absence several new arrivals had joined those already in the establishment, including an anthropomorphic rat, a gargoyle, and, much to her shock, a strange, insectoid monstrosity.

Recuperating from the initial shock upon seeing the Queen was a momentary task, although Keaton made a note to avoid the alien creature whenever she could. Hopefully it wasn't a very sociable creature, otherwise she'd feel very awkward. Besides, assumed that weirder individuals would appear as this place became more active.

Keaton seated herself at the bar, then shuffled through her pockets for some money. In the background, she could hear the gargoyle fellow and the blond man depart for their match, which she surmised would give her something interesting to watch. She dug up the required amount while the Boogeyman left to scrawl the new circle, then when he returned she pushed the money before him. "Got any absinthe?" she asked, smirking. Once the drink was served, she'd go outside as well.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

nikename2

As the battle began outside with the sound of gunfire, Rip took a good look of The Queen residing a few feet away from him. He gave a subtle nod to her as he made note of all her features. Such size, deadly razor sharp talons, glossy black skin. She seemed most certainly a force to be reckoned with, a very intimidating; almost commanding presence. In a way, somewhat soothing for Rip, although he could not figure out why.

With the match going on and another appearing to begin, it seemed like it may be awhile before he'd have to steel himself again. Eyeing the pool tables a few feet away, he got up out of the chair and walked over toward the cue rack. Most of the cues seemed like they have never left the rack since the place opened, except one... It was placed separate from the others, on a rack of it's own. Rip could feel a subtle aura emanating from it, unfamiliar to anything else he'd felt so far. He made note to leave it be and took one of the other cues, dusting it off as he racked up the table.

"I think Eddy has this one, just a matter of time....", Rip commented as he gazed out of a nearby window at the ensueing the fight, right before leaning down to break.

Stygian

And I'd have thought something made of stone would be less agile, Stygian thought, pulling back his weapon. The long, odd-looking rifle made a whining sound and then a pneumatic click as three ignition chambers stopped spinning. So. If I can't outflank him like this, I will have to trap him. He moved a bit to the side, peering out beside the roof. Now where has he...?
   The sudden sensation, first a feeling that was entirely his own and something that no ordinary creature could have felt, and then a slight scraping that did not come from his own boots, told him what he wanted. It was impossible to feel anything but the heaviest shifts of weight through the mountain-solid structure of the cathedral, but the sound was enough to tell Stygian off. Somewhere below him; he couldn't tell exactly. Not without having to cast out a few sounds of his own to reflect, so he could hear where Siolen was exactly. The man took another step, pretending not to have noticed, while his hand smoothly went under his coat for a handgun...

Boog

The good news was the attack eventually came. The bad news was that it came from above.
There was a suggestion of motion around the gargoyle, like somebody took away the gigantic wings that would be needed to move such a creature but left the motions they'd make in the air. Siolen dropped toward Stygian hooves first in a motion somewhere between a dive and a trample. A snarl built in his throat as he hit the ground, the other fighter dodging his strike with apparent ease, culminating in a sound between a shout and the bang of a firearm as he spat a blast of flaming tar.

Stygian

Stygian detected the gargoyle as he plummeted down toward him fairly much in time. It was a bit hard, as he didn't really move or even make that much noise in the air, when he simply fell. But it was enough, and Stygian's senses had a greater immediate perspective than mere sight. He dropped the grip on his handgun and made a roll out of the way and a hand-flip to get back up on his feet.
   The tar blast though, caught the man off-guard. He'd already raised the rifle in his movement, and both it and his arm were splattered by the burning stream. Making a snarling sound, he dropped the gun and whipped his arm, before he reached into his coat with his left hand and snapped out that long pistol at Siolen. He fired off a volley of shots in rapid succession. He didn't count on it having much of an effect; his handguns were made for punching through a thin intermediate of hard but flexible materials, like steel and body armor, and into soft flesh, not for destroying things that were solid right through, like stone statues. Still, it would probably grant the gargoyle a stinging sensation and distract him, while Stygian moved in.
   If Siolen had expected the man to fall back, he was surely surprised. Not by the bullets coming at him, but rather the hard boot directed toward his face that followed, and then another one, as Stygian threw his full weight against the creature in a blurring, spinning set of kicks. I should be strong enough to shock him, at least. And then I can get a real shot in...! the man thought.

Angel

Sylvie nodded in response to Ian's idea. "Sounds like a good plan. Just give me a minute outside." With that, she removed her cloak, left it and her staff on a chair and headed out.

Skirting around the circles, she found the area with the most remaining sunlight and stood still with her eyes closed. The fabric on her dress was thin enough not to block the sun, and the dark green fabric didn't hinder the process either. The sun hadn't disappeared yet, so she was able to photosynthesize most of what she'd drank. For about two minutes, she stood out there, breathing deeply and "eating." Once she was done, her eyes opened and she headed back inside, picking up her staff as she walked towards Ian.

"So... ready whenever you are," she told the rat.
BANDWAGON JUMP!

lucas marcone

As Ian passed Sylvie he asked "Would it matter to you if I chose the 'enviroment'? You can set the rules."

Boog

Siolen raised his arms against the barrage of bullets, lest any damage his face. As it was the potent bullets slammed into his shoulders and torso, making jagged ugly craters in his stone hide. Then, so his complete surprise, this Stygian ran up and tried Kicking him! The man was stronger than the gargoyle had come to expect of humans (that is to say, he had to actually defend himself against Stygian's blows), and apart from that his foe was worrisomely fast.
But he wouldn't give any ground. Rather Siolen weathered Stygian's assault and waited for an opening in the man's offensive. There! The gargoyle lunged, Stygian still falling back from his last kick, and lashed out with one of his own hooves. His tail blade came scything along the same path a second later, insurance in case the first strike missed or was parried.