Favorite drinks, Alchoholic or non-alchoholic or both.

Started by Don, October 15, 2007, 09:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryudo Lee

True, but when it comes to alcohol, it's better and safer for you to drink amongst family and friends, because then they know what to expect if you've had a few too many.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Sunblink

Quote from: Azlan on October 17, 2007, 02:22:33 AM
Alcohol is for weak people who can't handle reality and/or who are so incapable of relaxing that they require chemical assistance. 

Wow. What an excellent demonstration of generalization!

I don't drink alcohol, but I can probably safely say that the reasons for drinking alcohol are diverse. Some people may like the taste, some people may only drink at parties, some people may enjoy the exoticness, some people may just drink for fun... the list goes on and on. Of course there are people who are addicted to alcohol, but that is hardly every person who casually sips a beer or a vodka. And the reasons behind addiction and reliance are most likely--and often--much more complicated than how you presented it. Hell, alcoholism can even be hereditary. In some places it's traditional to drink wine at dinners, and in some places people drink alcohol because their water source is too dirty. Don't simplify this.

By the way, if you were being sarcastic, you failed miserably.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Stygian

CVDP is most divine.

Alcohol is for weak people who can't handle reality and/or who are so incapable of relaxing that they require chemical assistance. 

I officially despise you now. Nothing hostile or so. I just wanted to make it clear.

As for me, and my favorite drink? Jägermeister and Red Bull, even mix. Easy.

Azlan

Alcohol is the only legal drug, besides nicotine, available... it is a depressant in any quantity.  I enjoyed the explanations and details, most entertaining.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 18, 2007, 12:04:00 PM

Yes I know, I love the reactions I can generate with a few sored words.

Quote from: Stygian on October 18, 2007, 03:54:55 PM

I officially despise you now. Nothing hostile or so. I just wanted to make it clear.

As clear as vodka.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

xHaZxMaTx

superluser

Quote from: Azlan on October 19, 2007, 02:31:02 AMAlcohol is the only legal drug, besides nicotine, available...

Caffeine?  Pseudoephedrine?

As far as depressants go, what about dextromethorphan?  Doxylamine or any other antihistamine?

There are opioids in poppyseed muffins.

Let's face it, you run into dozens of drugs every day.  If you think that alcohol is the most dangerous one, you might need to look harder.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Sunblink

Quote from: Azlan on October 19, 2007, 02:31:02 AM
Alcohol is the only legal drug, besides nicotine, available... it is a depressant in any quantity.  I enjoyed the explanations and details, most entertaining.

That may be true (about alcohol being a drug; being a depressant) but the negative aftereffects of alcohol can be minimized through different forms and variations of moderation. As in no drinking and driving, taking a taxi home or having a friend drive you if you're outside and have been drinking, keeping everything within boundaries, and no underaged drinking.

My grandmother occasionally drinks (normally wine).

Quote from: superluser
Caffeine?  Pseudoephedrine?

As far as depressants go, what about dextromethorphan?  Doxylamine or any other antihistamine?

There are opioids in poppyseed muffins.

Let's face it, you run into dozens of drugs every day.  If you think that alcohol is the most dangerous one, you might need to look harder.

Also, I agree with Superluser. I think he's made an excellent argument here.

Quote from: Azlan
Yes I know, I love the reactions I can generate with a few sored words.

And I love how you have received several arguments and you're disregarding them by dismissing them as "entertaining."

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Ryudo Lee

Alcohol has been a part of our culture for most of recorded history which is probably why it's not illegal, such as with things like tobacco and some of what superluser listed, which are known to be harmful in large quantities but aren't illegal.  I don't particularly know which country you come from, but most countries in the world have a rich history in their alcohol.  Even today it's a thriving industry.  Millions of drinkers world-wide can't be wrong.

In alcohol's case, Keaton is correct, moderation is the key word here.  Overdoing it can be harmful, but in moderation it's a different story.  Hasn't it been shown that a glass of red wine every evening helps prevent heart attacks or something like that?  And I don't know about any of you, but when I drink, I'm far from depressed.  In fact, alcohol has the direct opposite effect on me.  Everything is funny when I've had a few.  Granted, I'm pulling from personal experience here, but still...

Yes, alcoholism is a bad thing, I won't argue with you on that.  But I have to wonder, just how many habitual alcoholics are there on this board?  I know that I'm not one, by any stretch of the imagination.  Rather, the last drink I had was a couple of months ago, when I had a beer with my pizza at dinner, at home, with my dad.  Does that make me weak and trying to escape from reality?  No.  It means I had a beer with my dinner.

I feel insulted that you're dismissing what we're saying as being "entertaining".

Gareeku

Ryudo, dude, do you really think he cares? The guy is a troll. He gets his kicks out of insulting people like this and just generally being a nasty asshole who thinks he's above everyone else.

Ryudo Lee

Gareeku

I know you are man, and I completely agree with you. I'm just saying that trying to reason with him is like talking to a brick wall.

Aaanyways; I completely forgot about Dr. Pepper until someone mentioned it earlier. I love that stuff, but I haven't had any in ages. >:

Don

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on October 18, 2007, 12:04:00 PM

I don't drink alcohol, but I can probably safely say that the reasons for drinking alcohol are diverse. Some people may like the taste, some people may only drink at parties, some people may enjoy the exoticness, some people may just drink for fun... the list goes on and on. Of course there are people who are addicted to alcohol, but that is hardly every person who casually sips a beer or a vodka. And the reasons behind addiction and reliance are most likely--and often--much more complicated than how you presented it. Hell, alcoholism can even be hereditary. In some places it's traditional to drink wine at dinners, and in some places people drink alcohol because their water source is too dirty. Don't simplify this.

By the way, if you were being sarcastic, you failed miserably.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Well said. I usually only drink when I'm playing sociables with my friends myself. Awsome card game when you have alchohol.

Brunhidden

social drinking seems to be a lost art- too many a kid just sits down like the whole idea is to pray to the porcelain god.

My friend and wife and i all sat down for drinks from time to time, talking and laughing and having a grand old time. at the end of one specific night i had put away five goblets of meade, three large vodka drinks, and about a cup of wine, i can fully recall everything that happened, was not impaired that i couldn't walk, had no hangover, and continued conversation i was told was quite funny and not the normal idiocy drunkards are famous for.

maybe they should have lessons in school about proper drinking, instead of movies that constantly show people holding a keg and a funnel
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on October 19, 2007, 02:40:56 AM
Woah, what happened here? :dface

As Gareeku says - Azlan trolled, and got bites. *shrug*

+----------+
|  PLEASE  |
|  DO NOT  |
| FEED THE |
|  TROLLS  |
+----------+
    |  |   
    |  |   
  .\|.||/..
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Vidar

Guinness, A variety of Belgian beers and ales, Kahlua (neat or with ice and/or milk), a nice red wine, fine aged tawny port, homebrewn beers and meads.

As for nonalcoholic stuff, most soda's are mere supersaturated sugar-waters with chemical flavour and colours and some fizz. I don't like them. Some fruit juices are ok, and one store not too far from my home sells a variety of fresh smoothies.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 19, 2007, 12:00:07 PM
As Gareeku says - Azlan trolled, and got bites. *shrug*

+----------+
|  PLEASE  |
|  DO NOT  |
| FEED THE |
|  TROLLS  |
+----------+
    |  |   
    |  |   
  .\|.||/..

I guess if Azlan had failed miserably at being sarcastic, he succeeded rather triumphantly at being a gigantic troll. Shame on me.

Though trolls suck ass. Argh.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

xHaZxMaTx

Vidar

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on October 19, 2007, 02:12:50 PM
Also, beer is just plain gross. :<

BLASPHEMER! THOU SHALLT REPENT!

Try a good beer. Something full-bodied with a nice amber colour, a nutty character and a robust nose. And remember, beer is an aquired taste.
Also, bud light isn't beer, it's weak near-frozen gnat's urine.

xHaZxMaTx

Acquired taste?  I never got that; drink it until you like it. :/  The only beer I remember trying was Sam Adams.

Ryudo Lee

As I said before, Killian's Red is good.  Corona is also good, with a lemon wedge squeezed into it.

Eibborn

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on October 19, 2007, 02:56:19 PM
Acquired taste?  I never got that; drink it until you like it. :/

YES. Totally with you there! Why not just drink much more delicious things instead of numbing your taste buds until it doesn't suck anymore?
/kicks the internet over

Vidar

Acquired taste?  I never got that; drink it until you like it. :/  The only beer I remember trying was Sam Adams.

Bah, more Gnat's piss. Try a good wheat beer, poored in a frosty glass, with a slice of lemon in it. Make sure you leave a little beer in the bottle, swirl it around a bit, then poor it all in your glass. The yeasty sediments add to the flavour of the beer.

Quote from: Eibbor_N on October 19, 2007, 04:14:33 PM
Acquired taste?  I never got that; drink it until you like it. :/
YES. Totally with you there! Why not just drink much more delicious things instead of numbing your taste buds until it doesn't suck anymore?

NO! Just don't start with the sucky stuff in the first place.

Also, most people during their youth have been spoiled with ultra-sweetened liquid sugar soda pop things, and ultra-mega-sweetened candy thingies, and sometimes a McDonalds burger (try to taste the meat through all that "sauce"). Their taste buds have been deadend to everything that isn't three of four times as sweet as sugar, or drowned in really bad flavoured faux mayo.

Open yourself up to new flavours before you, too, fall into that pattern. Before long you will dismiss even the finest wines as being 'sour' because it doesn't give you the suger high you are accustomed to through years of neglecting the full range of sensations your tongue has to offer.
It will take some getting used to, but then again, all good things do.

Stygian

Cactus Cooler. <3

Hey, do they even sell that anymore? That stuff was great for mixing. Shame you couldn't get it anywhere outside the states to my knowledge...

Quote from: Vidar on October 19, 2007, 02:34:50 PM

BLASPHEMER! THOU SHALLT REPENT!

Try a good beer. Something full-bodied with a nice amber colour, a nutty character and a robust nose. And remember, beer is an aquired taste.
Also, bud light isn't beer, it's weak near-frozen gnat's urine.

Beer. Tastes. Like. Piss. No matter which you're talking about. It's the yeast and the hops. And it gives you a gut. That's why I only drink stronger liquors, stuff that tastes good and has a bit of a kick to it, and doesn't make you feel rotten and pudgy.

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 19, 2007, 12:00:07 PMAs Gareeku says - Azlan trolled, and got bites. *shrug*

But Azlan doesn't usually troll, so I got confused.

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on October 19, 2007, 02:12:50 PMAlso, beer is just plain gross. :<

Try delirium tremens. (the beer, not the clinical condition)

techmaster-glitch

In my preferences in drinks, I've got a little to tell.
I. HATE. Anything. Fizzy.
Any carbonated drinks I just can't stand. Why? Because I can't actuallydrink the darned stuff! Whenever I try, the active carbonation fizz tickles me so badly i can only take very small sips. That's why, on the rare occation that I even DO drink any sort of soda at all, I make sure I'm over a sink, with the seal partially cracked, and give the can one hell of a shakeup :) Even then, and becasue of this, I've never even really developed a taste for sodas, with the one notable exception of root beer :3
In regards to actual alcohol, I've never touched a drop and probably never will. I'm attributing this to the fact that I was brought up from the Mormon religion, before I renounced it and went atheist (I did this for a great many reasons, quite a lot to list here, and totally irrelevant to the current topic). Probably the only things I've kept from that religion is no alcohol, no smoking, no drugs, ect. I don't have much repect for anyone who does these things, especially the last one. Drug addicts and dealers deserve to be locked up, or in the most extreme cases (in my opinion) have their backward lives terminated. Smokers, I don't really much care for, if you want to decrease your own life span, that's fine by me. I just wish the tobacco producers wouldn't put addictive nicotine into the damn stuff so people could quit whenever they want to (yeah, like that's going to happen...). But back onto the topic of people who drink, I have no respect for people who like to get shit-faced regularly, but I have known that there are the casual drinkers who never actually get drunk, and that I'm alright with. The stories people have been telling here of themselves are further helping this positive view :) But I probably still won't ever drink myself.

Azlan

Quote from: superluser on October 19, 2007, 07:19:42 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 19, 2007, 12:00:07 PMAs Gareeku says - Azlan trolled, and got bites. *shrug*

But Azlan doesn't usually troll, so I got confused.

Generally no, but I miss the old, semi-fiery days of the Nice.  It just isn't the same without a big badguy to hate, I'm not mentioning the name though.  I just don't have the heart to be the bad guy, so I apologize to everyone, except for Gareeku though who refuses to give up the past. 

I respect Ryudo and Superluser, so my hats off for good arguments.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

superluser

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 19, 2007, 08:14:54 PMBut back onto the topic of people who drink, I have no respect for people who like to get shit-faced regularly, but I have known that there are the casual drinkers who never actually get drunk, and that I'm alright with. The stories people have been telling here of themselves are further helping this positive view :) But I probably still won't ever drink myself.

For the record, I could be mistaken for a teetotaller.  I drink maybe one day out of the month, and then usually have a no more than 2 drinks.  Usually because drinking feels more like an evening thing, and I'm not going to drink something if I have to go to work in the morning or if there's a chance that I might be driving later in the evening.

I also tend to tolerate hard liquor much better than beer or wine.

Gareeku

Quote from: Azlan on October 19, 2007, 11:16:43 PM
I apologize to everyone, except for Gareeku though who refuses to give up the past.

You wound me, sir.

I think that beer is one of those things that you either love or hate. I do enjoy a nice beer, particularly Kronenburg 1664, a French beer. It's quite a sweet beer, but damn is it nice. Becks, a German beer, is also a favourite of mine. It's got a clean, crisp and refreshing taste to it. And how could I forget Guinness?

Omega

Quote from: Azlan on October 19, 2007, 02:31:02 AM
Alcohol is the only legal drug, besides nicotine, available...
Don't forget coffee.

*ahem*

Many foreign contries have legalized lots of milder drungs (i.e. marihuana) and outside the most western civilization, there are stuff that you've never even heard of. And let's keep it that.

*reads the rest of the comments*

What? You don't like beer? And just when I got used to that stuff.
Other than that, there's always vodka and anything that you can find from your fridge is good with vodka.