Is there ANY 2D game maker out there that isn't gamemaker?

Started by jakshep3, October 11, 2007, 12:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakshep3

Is there ANY 2D game maker out there that isn't called gamemaker and doesn't need programming language??

i'm looking for an easy to use interface and not-so-difficult-to-learn mechanics.
thanks, jakshep3 :zombiekun2

Tapewolf

Quote from: jakshep3 on October 11, 2007, 12:47:05 PM
Is there ANY 2D game maker out there that isn't called gamemaker and doesn't need programming language??

Unfortunately, with any toolkit - be it for games, data capture solutions or anything else - it ultimately comes down to a compromise between ease-of-use and flexibility.  There are probably toolkits out there which do what you need, but they will generally be restricted to a single type of game and usually most of the games which it can create will be very similar to each other.

Anything remotely flexible will generally have a scripting language of some sort, usually modeled on C or BASIC.  Having said that, Abuse used LISP  :yuck

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Fuyudenki

to build on what Tapewolf said:

If you're looking for a game studio that isn't called "Game Maker," and doesn't require programming, then you're better off trying to make peace in the middle east while trying to be a woman's ideal guy, at the same time.

If it doesn't require programming, then Game Maker, or The Games Factory are the best, and they won't get you very far.

Trust me.

Jack McSlay

I think the maker that takes the best from both worlds is RPG maker XP. it features functions with GUIs and for those who need a deeper customization  you can do serious proggraming in ruby, which is an OOP language with a syntax similar to Visual Basic
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

haseeb

Rpg maker might be a good option. But like the name suggests you can only make rpgs with it.

Vidar

I don't know any game makers, but if you're interested in making games, you might want to look into some basic programming techniques. You won't have to learn about object oriented programming right off the bat (that shit is hard, yo), but stuff like if-then-else decisions, for-loops, variables and functions are useful things to know.

Making games is a lot of work. Next to the program itself, you have to design the graphics, sound effects, music, keyboard and/or gamepad stuff, etc.
Game maker like programs can make some things easier, but if you want to do something special or fancy, you'll likely run into the limits of the game maker program.

Though, if you're just starting, and you can find a game-maker program you like, it's an ok place to start.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

llearch n'n'daCorna

Haseeb, it's lovely that you're trying to help. Really.

Read the rules first, though. You're necroing (rule 5, section A). Don't do it again.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears